Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Going Home

Harry stayed in the hospital wing for three more days, Madame Pomfrey and everyone else fussing about him. He didn't want to stay there. He missed his own bed, his stuffed animals, and Lucy.

He was so happy on the day he was released that he jumped from the bed and ran out the door, forgetting he was dressed only in a hospital gown. Harry soon came back to find his father grinning from ear to ear, and Harry's face reddened when he saw Madame Pomfrey staring at him too.

There were last minute instructions, and then Severus led Harry over to the floo and within minutes they were home. Before Harry even had time to wipe the soot off himself Lucy knocked him over in her glee to see him.

"Master Harry! Lucy is so happy to be seeing you well again. Master Severus was so worried, but Lucy was telling him that you were strong and that you would be home soon."

Harry turned to glance over at his father. "You were worried?"

Severus slapped his hand to his forehead. "Of course I was worried. You nearly died over some foolhardy spell that hasn't been used in five hundred years."

Severus saw Harry's face fall, and he took a deep breath. "Go put your things away and then come in here so that we can have a talk."

Harry did as he was told and when he returned to the sitting room he found a fire roaring in the fireplace and his father sitting on the couch. Severus motioned for Harry to come and sit beside him, and Harry did, curling up into his father's lap. Severus did not wish to chastise the child, but he had been so scared, so terrified that his son was dead. He could not ever let it happen again.

"Harry, what you did was very dangerous, do you realize this?"

Severus waited for Harry to acknowledge him, but Harry only stared at him. Severus tried again this time taking a different approach.

"Harry, you must never do anything else without me telling you it is all right."

Harry's face lit up, and he shook his head yes, but Severus knew the child did not fully understand the ramifications of what he had done. Severus wanted nothing more than to wrap his arms around his son, but he knew that he must make Harry understand. Severus closed his eyes for a mere second and dreaded what he must do next, but it was the only way.

"You must never do anything like that ever again, do you understand me?" he yelled. "You must do only the things I have told you to do and nothing else, for anything else could end up killing you. Do you know how close you came to dying? Do you even realize that had you died you would never have seen me again?"

That was all it had taken for Harry to break down into sobs. He flung himself towards Severus' open arms begging him not to leave him, promising anything to keep his father.

"I promise Dad, I won't do anything without you telling me to," Harry choked out, his sobs now making him heave.

Severus knew Harry was sorry for what he had done, but he only hoped he would never repeat it again. He couldn't explain to a seven year old the fear he had felt. He didn't think Harry could comprehend that. Resting his own head upon Harry's Severus closed his eyes and thanked the world that his son was in his arms.

"Come now, no more of this blubbering. Lucy has prepared dinner for us, and if I am not mistaken it is your favorite."

Severus and Harry sat down to dinner, but Harry's appetite left more food on his plate than Severus would have liked.

"Are you not hungry?"

Harry shook his head no, "My stomach is still queasy a bit."

Severus sighed. The child had not eaten in days, and he was already small for his age.

"Sit there and finish your milk. I have to go and prepare something to help you sleep tonight. Once you are done you may go and lay down if you wish."

Severus stood up from his chair and walked away from the table, hurrying his stride along, not wanting to leave Harry for too long. Harry sat in his chair staring at the glass of milk in front of him. The thought of drinking it made his stomach churn.

Picking it up Harry took a small sip to see if it would make him sick, and when it didn't he took another, this one much larger than the last. Instantly he regretted it, as the rumble of his stomach alerted him that what little he had eaten was coming back up. Harry wanted to run to the trash can in the kitchen, but his father had told him to stay and finish his milk and not to get up until then. Tears pricked at his eyes as he soiled the floor beside his chair, but he did not get up.

It had been over an hour and now Harry was growing sleepy, his eyes drooping as he tried to keep them open.

"Would Master Harry like Lucy to turn down his bed for him?"

Harry thanked Lucy, but refused once again to get up. He would not disobey his father, not again. His head was growing heavier, it seemed as if it were twice its size and Harry was having trouble sitting up straight in the chair. Finally his battle with sleep was over and Harry curled up in the chair and went to sleep.

Severus brewed the Dreamless Sleep potion making sure to use half the required amounts of everything. He didn't think Harry could take a full dose after all he had been through. Once he decanted it into the vial and turned off the heat under the cauldron he checked the time.

Severus stared at the clock, his mouth dropping open. He had been in the lab for over two hours. He was sure Harry would be asleep in his bed by then, and went down the hall to check there first.

When he opened the door he found the bed still made, though the covers were turned down. Thinking perhaps Harry had gone to the loo, he knocked softly on the door and called to him. When he got no answer he carefully peeked in, and again found that Harry was not there. Severus' heart skipped a beat, where was Harry?

Severus left the room and checked his own room before quickening his steps to the kitchen. He expected to find Harry sitting perhaps talking to Lucy, time forgotten in his zeal to be home, but it was the pungent odor of bile that alerted him when he walked into the room.

Severus could see that Harry had been sick all over the floor beside the table, but what broke his heart was the sight of Harry curled in a ball asleep in the chair. Brandishing his wand Severus cleaned up the mess, and lifted Harry up from the chair.

"I didn't leave the table Dad," Harry mumbled still half asleep.

Severus shook his head, and carried Harry to his room, removing his shoes before tucking him in under the covers. He went to leave but Harry sat straight up in the bed. It was not a smart move as Harry's head started to swim with the too quick movement and he groaned as he laid back down.

"Don't go Dad. I have bad dreams."

"Harry, dreams are not real they can't hurt you. Get some sleep," Severus said leaning over and kissing Harry on the head.

Severus went to his own room and quickly undressed for bed. Once his night clothes were on he gratefully slid underneath the covers, awaiting the blissful sleep he so desired. Before his eyes could close though he heard the creak of his door opening and the sound of small steps coming towards his bed. When he turned his head he saw a pair of green eyes staring back at him, tear filled eyes.

Leaning over he picked Harry up and settled him in the covers next to him. Once he saw that Harry's breathing evened out, noting to Severus he was asleep. Severus rolled over and felt the familiar tug of sleep himself. Just before he drifted off though a small hand wrapped itself around his neck, and Severus held onto it as his eyes closed to dream.