Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Hogsmeade Day

Severus watched Harry for the next few days, to make sure he was feeling better, with no lasting effects from the oranges. Harry seemed to be doing much better, though Severus still wondered about his mental state. Often he found Harry sitting in the chair and the child did not move until Severus expressly told him to.

Severus was sitting down to dinner when he noticed Harry picking at his vegetables again, shoving them around his plate.

"You know I will still see them even if you do hide them under your mashed potatoes."

Harry quickly scooped up the asparagus and put the spoonful in his mouth, closing it with what appeared to be great pains.

Severus jumped up from his chair, slapping Harry on the back so hard the asparagus flew from his mouth.

"Dear Merlin child! I did not mean you had to eat it. I was only jesting with you."

Severus heart was racing then, as he could not for the life of him recall if Harry had ever eaten asparagus, and whether he was allergic to it or not.

"I think tomorrow we shall be visiting Madame Pomfrey, and then perhaps we shall sneak off for a special treat to Hogsmeade."

Harry didn't really relish going to Madame Pomfrey, but he did want to spend the day in Hogsmeade with his father so he agreed.

"Why do I have to go and visit Madame Pomfrey, I feel fine."

"Because I do not wish to constantly be slapping food from your mouth. I think it is high time we find out everything you are allergic to."

Harry finished off his pumpkin juice and got up from the table, following his father into the study. After curling up in his favorite chair he turned to stare at his father who was now reading one of his favorite Potion books.

"Dad, is there anything special about tomorrow, and will I have to wear that silly glamour again?"

Severus put down his book, placing it on the table beside him. The look on his face was one of seriousness.

"Harry, I have by good information that Draco is missing his father."

"That git, he misses that horrible man, who tried to kill you, but why?"

"Whether Lucius was a bad man or not, he was still Draco's father, and now he has no male figure in his life. Would it bother you for us to spend the day with him?"

Harry sat mulling the idea over and over, when Severus spoke again.

"Is it our safety that worries you?"

Harry cast his eyes down, not wanting to meet his father's gaze. It was true he was afraid.

Severus stood and went to kneel in front of Harry. "I shall have on a glamour as not to alert anyone of who I am. We shall not spend the entire day with Draco, for I want to spend some time with my son."

Harry smiled at hearing these words, and flung his arms around his father's neck. They sat together Severus reading his Potion's book and explaining to Harry from time to time what ingredients did what. Tomorrow would be a day out and about, just spent enjoying the day, and each one of them secretly looked forward to it.

The next morning Harry heard his father calling to him, but no matter how much he wanted to go, he couldn't make himself crawl from underneath the cool sheets.

"Harold James Potter! Get out of that bed this instant! We are running late," Severus yelled from the end of the bed.

Harry moaned but crawled out of the bed, and stood there swaying on his feet as his eyes were still closed half asleep.

"I'm ready to go."

Severus burst out laughing. "Unless you wish to parade around Hogsmeade in your knickers I suggest you get dressed first. We shall be having breakfast there if you hurry."

Harry got dressed reluctantly and walked into the sitting room where his father was waiting, his brown hair, hazel eyed father.

"Dad you look odd."

"Do you mean to say that they way I look is not appealing?" Severus said, staring down at Harry."

"No, I didn't mean that at all. As a matter of a fact forget I said anything at all. Come on let's go, I'm hungry."

Severus and Harry flooed straight to Hogsmeade, and Severus led Harry to a little cafe down the street. After sitting down their menus were brought to them, and Severus ordered pancakes and coffee.

"What will you be having young man?" the waitress asked Harry.

"I want pancakes too, and some bacon, and eggs, and I think I want some oatmeal as well."

"Are you sure you don't want anything else?" Severus said sarcastically.

"You are right Dad. I will also have a glass of milk if you please."

The waitress laughed and headed off to place their order with the cook, and Severus took that time to explain to Harry the plan for the day.

"We are going to the apothecary as I need to replenish my potion supplies, and that is where we are meeting Draco. We can spend the day however you wish. We shall depart from Draco, after lunch if you wish, and then you and I can go and do a few things together."

Severus stopped speaking as his and Harry's food showed up then, the waitress looking burdened carrying all of Harry's. Severus pulled his wand out and gave the poor witch a hand and levitated the plates to the table. Harry dug in immediately making quick work of his bacon and then moving on to his eggs and finally his pancakes. Severus sat back and watched in amazement. He didn't understand where Harry put it all. When he looked at Harry he saw a boy that looked no more than six years old though he was all of eight now, and yet he ate as if he were Hagrid.

"Come Harry it is time we were off."

Harry followed his father out of the cafe and down the street to the apothecary. The entered and instantly the pungent odors made Harry scrunch up his face in disgust.

"Why must the ingredients always smell so horrid?"

Severus smirked, "So that the potions children have to take will taste bad of course. I must gather some supplies, why don't you wait by the door for Draco."

Harry gladly went to stand by the door, enjoying the fresh air when a new patron came in, but soon it was a small blond boy that opened the door.

Harry noticed Draco was not smiling, his face taking on the same look his father's did when Harry had disobeyed him.

"Draco!" Harry called to the boy as he looked around.

"Harry!" Draco called back walking towards Harry, a smile now coming to his face. "Where is your father?"

"He is by the counter collecting up ingredients he will need."

"I do not see him," Draco told him, and he did not notice him still when Severus walked right up to Harry and placed his hand on his shoulder.

"You would do well to remove your hand sir. His father shall not like you touching him," Draco said, pulling a wand from his robes, and pointing it at the man he thought a stranger.

Severus smiled at first and then grimaced when he realized Draco did not truly know who he was. "It is I Draco," he said, and watched as Draco's wand lowered.

"Come we will leave here before we gather anymore attention to ourselves, and later you can explain what you are doing with a wand young man."

Draco explained to Severus that the wand was one his father had given to him right before he died, and that no matter what he didn't have the heart to toss it away.

"Normally Draco I would take the wand from you for you are underage, but if you promise not to use it unless under dire circumstances then I will not take it."

Draco agreed and they spent the next hour in the bookstore, Harry choosing a Quidditch book to look at with Draco, while Severus perused the Potion tomes.

"You know how to use a wand?" Harry whispered to Draco when Severus walked around the corner.

Draco rolled his eyes. "You truly are ignorant aren't you? My father has been teaching me spells since I was six. Watch this," Draco said, taking out his wand and doing a small series of swishes his eyes turned to a marvelous shade of purple.

"Wow! That was bloody brilliant!" Harry exclaimed.

"Young man what was that foul language that just came from your mouth?" Severus said walking up behind Draco.

Draco quickly ran his hand over his face and his eyes returned back to the actual shade, and Harry was left looking very embarrassed.

"Err, nothing Dad. I didn't mean to say it."

Draco was relieved that Harry had not told on him, but he could see Severus would be lecturing Harry later on the uses of soap for such language.

"I would hope not. Gather your things, we are finished here. Where would the two of you like to go next?"

"The Quidditch Store!" both of them yelled together.

"Sweet Merlin, haven't you looked at enough Quidditch books while you were here. Must you drag me into the store with numerous children who will no doubt be chattering away as if they were a bunch of old women?"

"No!" came the reply again in unison.

Severus put his hand to his head in a fake swoon, and motioned them out the door. "Very well, if I must endure this then lead the way."

An hour later Severus' patience was gone. Two young boys had fought over a cleaning kit in front of him, the kit ripping in two pieces before the argument was over. The pieces flew through the air, one hitting Severus in the head, and that was the final straw. Grabbing both Harry and Draco he marched them both out of them store and into the street.

"The next time you wish to go and look in that store, I will be waiting outside. Those children are uncivilized."

After seeing that he would garner no sympathy from either boy, he pointed toward the cafe and motioned for them head inside. The same waitress came back to the table, and again complimented Severus on his two well behaved sons. Severus made no move to correct her, and that made Draco very happy.

When the food arrived Harry again pushed his around the plate, eating only half of it. Severus let a small smile cross his face and then he turned to Draco.

"How are things going at home Draco?"

Draco stiffened at the mention of his home, and lowered his gaze to his plate, suddenly finding his soup very interesting. "Everything is fine at home. Why do you ask?"

Severus put his fork down and stared at Draco till the boy had no other option but to meet his gaze.

"I asked because I wish to know. Now tell me how are things at home?"

Draco sighed, "Mother has taken to leaving for a couple of days at a time, other than that she speaks to me rarely. I basically have the run of the house now. I mean I am the Man of the house anyway, at least to the house elves I am."

"You know Draco, if you would like Harry and I can come over now and then to keep you company when your mother is gone. I am afraid your mother does not wish to see me otherwise." Draco's face fell at the mention of his mother. "I just have to pay the check and we can go. I won't be but a minute."

Harry noticed Draco's mood change. "Draco what is it? There is something you didn't tell Dad isn't there?"

Draco nodded, "Mother often feels I am the reason father is now gone."

"That isn't true!" Harry exclaimed.

"Sshhh Severus will hear you. Promise me Harry that you will not tell anyone, especially Severus."

Harry agreed he would keep Draco's secret. Severus came to the table and noticed that both boys grew quiet the second he approached.

"You wouldn't be plotting anything now are you?"

"Of course not Dad," Harry said, placing his most innocent smile on his face.

"Very well, It is time Draco got home, and I am sure Lucy will have dinner waiting for us as well. Come Draco we will walk you back to the Apothecary."

Severus and Harry watched as Draco flooed back to Malfoy Manor and then Severus turned back to Harry.

"We still have a couple of hours if you would like to go somewhere else."

Harry shook his head no, and grabbed his father around the waist, hugging him tightly. "Can we go home and eat dinner there, and then maybe you could read me a story?"

Severus didn't know what had come over Harry so suddenly, but he liked the idea of going home and enjoying a night there.

Leaning down, he scooped Harry up in his arms, "Come, let us go home."

Harry was just glad his father had forgotten to go to Madame Pomfrey's.