Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Visiting Draco

Harry and Severus spent the next two days together, just enjoying spending time with one another, but Monday morning an owl came flying through the window as they were eating their breakfast, and landed on Severus' shoulder.

Severus took the note from its beak and the owl jumped off into his plate, taking the bacon that was sitting on it.

"Is that from Draco?"

Severus rubbed the bridge of his nose, and shooed the owl from his plate. "Yes, Draco says his mother will not be home tonight and asked if we would like to come over."

"So are we going?"

"Would you enjoy going?"

Harry sat for a minute, his finger tapping the table. "You know I like Draco, even though he sometimes acts very odd. He acts so grown up all the time."

Severus sighed, "I am afraid that comes from being raised by Lucius. He always thought that childish tendencies should be squashed quickly, and he wasted no time I am afraid in teaching Draco the Dark Arts."

Harry dropped his fork. "Why don't you teach me any Dark Arts? And why does Draco have a wand? I want a wand too."

Severus' stare was so icy that Harry looked away, regretting what he said instantly.

"I chose to let you have a childhood instead of demanding that you become an adult at eight. As for a wand young man, we have discussed that you will not be getting one till you get your Hogwarts letter.

"Yes sir, but are we going to Draco's tonight?"

Severus crossed his arms over his chest. "I have to teach today, but if you wish we will go tonight and spend some time with Draco. I warn you though Harry, should any of Lucius' friends show up we shall have to either hide or depart quickly. I am afraid they are still not happy about his early demise."

Harry agreed he would do as his father asked, and when Severus left for school Harry went to collect some things he and Draco could play with.

"Lucy, do you think Draco would play exploding snap with me? Dad doesn't really like to play, says it gives him headaches."

Lucy came into the room wringing her hands on her tea towel. "Lucy should not be saying so, but Dobby the Malfoy's house elf says Draco is not playing many games. Dobby is saying that Master Malfoy makes him study and learn spells."

Harry put the exploding snap game in his pocket and a few books and finally he got down his wizard chess set that Severus had gotten him. Harry wasn't very good at it, but he still enjoyed playing.

After Harry had gathered everything he wanted to take he waited in the sitting room for his father. Two hours later Harry awoke to someone rubbing the hair off his face.

"I must have fallen asleep," Harry smiled sheepishly to his father.

"It seems someone just needed a nap. It will do you good, as we may be there quite late. I would not like to go before Draco has gone to bed for the night."

Severus and Harry flooed straight to Malfoy Manor, and Draco was there to greet them when they stepped out of the fireplace.

"Can I take your coats?

Harry and Severus handed Draco their coats and he went to hang them up.

"You can have a seat, I am going to check on dinner. I will send Dobby in with some refreshments."

Harry tugged on Severus' sleeve. "See Dad he sounds like a grown up."

Severus' response was cut off as Dobby popped into the room, carrying a tray with tea and biscuits. After setting the tray down. Dobby went to leave, but his huge eyes stared right at Harry.

Harry was more than a bit startled when Dobby ran over to him and started kissing his hand, before bowing down at Harry's feet.

"Ummm Dad, what is the house elf doing?" Harry asked, crawling into his father's lap, to get away from the overly excited house elf.

Severus stood, and grabbed Dobby by the back of the neck. "Explain what and why you are hopping around here like some kind of half wit."

"Dobby is very pleased to be serving Harry Potter sir. Harry Potter defeated he Who Must Not Be Named."

Severus grabbed Dobby by is throat, and shoved him away, pulling his wand as he did.

"Dad, what are you doing? Dobby is innocent!" Harry screamed, jumping in front of the house elf.

"Harry, he knows who you are; that could be very dangerous. He must be obliviated at once."

"Please Dad. Dobby won't tell anyone. Will you Dobby?"

Dobby stood before them eyes wide in fright. Harry motioned for Dobby to come closer.

"Sit down here beside me Dobby, and tell my father you won't tell anyone." When Dobby made no move to come near Harry, he pulled him over to him. "Here Dobby sit down beside me." Harry handed Dobby a cup of the tea, but Dobby burst into tears.

"Harry Potter is a kind wizard. Dobby has never met a kind wizard before," he wailed.

"Do you see son. He must be obliviated at once."

Severus was about to raise his wand again when Draco came through the door.

"Dobby what are you doing sitting down? We have guests to attend to!" he yelled, and Dobby was on his feet in seconds.

"Dobby is going to make sure everything is nice for the guests. Dobby did not mean to displease Master Malfoy."

Dobby left with a pop and Draco grimaced. "It is so hard to find a decent house elf these days, but I can't get rid of him, he is the only one we have left. The others I gave clothes to as they would not listen to a thing I said once father died."

The three of them sat down to dinner, Harry staring at the strange things on his plate, but not wanting to ask what they were. Curiosity won out in the end and he stared up at his father who was eating the strange things.

"What is this?"

"Those are snails in white wine sauce if my taste buds are correct." Severus could see Harry turning a shade of green even as he said it, and quickly informed Harry he did not have to eat them if he didn't wish to.

"You will however eat all of your vegetables."

"Draco are you all right to stay here by yourself?" Severus asked.

"Sure, I am here lots of times by myself. It doesn't bother me in the slightest."

"You and Harry run along and play. I am going to go and strengthen the wards on the house for my own peace of mind."

Harry led Draco into the sitting room and pulled the game of exploding snap from his pocket. They played for over an hour till Harry's fingers were raw from holding on to his cards too long.

"You know I think Dad would love you to stay at our house, but he said he didn't think your mother would like the idea very much."

"Why should my mother's feelings matter, you don't see her here right now do you?"

Harry didn't know what to say. He hadn't meant to make Draco angry with him, but he was saved by his father coming back through the door.

"Harry is correct. Your mother would not release you into my custody, I have asked her as much. She claims to love you, and need you here with her. You are safer here Draco, can you understand that?"

"Sure, I am fine anyway. I have the whole manor to myself."

Severus didn't say anything else as he sat reading the paper in one of the chairs by the fire. Harry and Draco each with a copy of the Quidditch books Harry had brought. They all sat there drinking tea until it was quite late. When Severus did look up he found both boys fast asleep, books fallen to the floor.

As carefully as he could Severus lifted Draco off the couch and toted him up the stairs. Draco woke halfway up and found himself being carried by Severus.

"I'm no baby I can walk," blushing as he scrambled out of Severus' arms.

Severus walked with him to his room and waited for Draco to get dressed. Draco reappeared from the bathroom in his pajamas and crawled into the bed.

"I have placed the extra wards on the manor so you should be safe, but if you need me for any reason, floo me straight away. I do believe Harry had a long talk with Dobby about making sure you were safe as well."

Standing up Severus walked to the door and turned around. "Fire call me if necessary." Draco nodded he understood, and Severus walked out closing the door behind him.

Severus made his way back down the hall, and to the sitting room where Harry was still fast asleep. He stood for a moment staring down at Harry. To Severus he looked so small, so fragile, and so small he looked no more than five or six. Leaning over Severus pushed the stray hair from Harry's face.

"Harry, wake up it is time to go."

Harry mumbled something incoherent, which made Severus chuckle. "Come on now it is time we were heading home."

Harry rubbed his eyes, but didn't open them. Holding his arms out, he reverted into infantile behavior.

"Will you carry me Dad, I am tired."

"Very well, if you insist."

Severus picked up Harry, who immediately wrapped his arms around his neck and laid his head on his shoulder. These were the moments that made parenthood worth everything. Severus placed a small kiss on the top of Harry's head, before grabbing a handful of floo powder. After throwing it in, he wrapped his own arms around Harry, holding him tightly to him before calling out Snape Manor, and then he was gone.

Severus never saw the blond haired boy sitting at the top of the stairs watching him, nor did he see the tears running down his face. Draco stood up and walked back to his room once the green flames of the fireplace died down. He lit the lamp beside his bed and crawled under the covers, whispering to himself.

"If Harry wasn't his son, then he would be able to take me in. Severus would then be tucking me in at night, and telling me bedtime stories, but I am stuck here with her, and she doesn't love me at all." Draco laid there until he cried himself to sleep, but his dreams were no better. In his dreams he was the person looking in through the glass to the happy family of one Severus Snape.