Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Something Not Quite Right

As morning peaked over the treetops Draco stirred in his bed. He had slept beautifully the night before, relishing he did not have to fear waking to find any number of things bizarre, and odd going on around him. He pulled the covers back up around his chin and snuggled deep within the covers, closing his eyes to drift back to sleep when the door popped open.

"It is time to be waking Master Harry."

Draco growled, "I am not getting up, I am having a lie in."

"Master Severus says he expects you at the table in five minutes so you would want to be waking up now."

Draco glared at the house elf, throwing his pillow in her direction, before getting up and tossing on Harry's robe. He didn't go directly to breakfast, but instead went to shower, taking his time underneath the warmth of the water. When he finally did arrive to the table Severus was glaring at him, one of those glares he reserved for his students and Draco gulped.

"Just what kept you from coming to breakfast when I sent for you?"

"I was taking a shower, I didn't think it was a problem," Draco retorted. He regretted the words as soon as they flew from his mouth.

Severus stood grabbing his teaching robes. "I expect such things to come from Draco's mouth but not my son's. You were the one I had to drag kicking and screaming to bathe last week. Get dressed you are coming to Hogwarts today with me and I will not tolerate waiting Harry."

Draco ran to get dressed. He had only been to Hogwarts once before with Lucius, and he marveled at all of it. His father had been in Slytherin as all good purebloods should be, and Severus was the Head of Slytherin house. Draco couldn't wait to get there and he was dressed and standing by the floo in only five minutes time.

Draco felt Severus pull him close, and wondered why as he had flooed hundreds of times, but he had to keep telling himself he was not supposed to be Draco, he was supposed to be Harry. Grabbing onto Severus' robes, Draco held on tight as they whirled past grate after grate and finally landed in the Headmaster's office.

Meanwhile ...

Harry woke up his head about to fall off it felt like. He didn't want to get up at all, relishing the feeling of the silk sheets, but it was the incessant tugging on the duvet that had him opening his eyes.

"Master Harry, Mistress says you must be waking."

"She can sod off for all I care, and go tell her I am not Draco. I am getting out of here today, and I am telling my Dad everything."

Dobby began beating his head on the bedpost at this proclamation, and did not stop until Harry grabbed him by the back of his tea towel. "What are you doing?"

"Dobby is knowing the truth, but Dobby is bound not to tell of it."

"You don't have to tell anything Dobby, but can't you at least help me get out of here. Can't I floo out or can't you apparate me out?"

"Dobby is not being allowed to help at all. Master Malfoy made sure to tell Dobby if he did that Dobby would find out the shame of being set free."

Harry threw his hands up in the air and then covered his face with them, as the tears began to fall again. "I have to get back to my Dad, somehow, even if I must convince that old bat to believe me."

Harry slung his legs over the bed and grabbed the robe sitting on the bedpost. Slipping it on he went to find Narcissa to try and convince her he was not Draco. Halfway down the hall, the smell of the bacon made Harry's stomach growl, and he hurried his step. Since he hadn't eaten the night before he was starving, and the sight of the huge plates of food on the table made his eyes go wide.

"Stop gawking like some kind of lunatic," Narcissa admonished, "And for Merlin's sake why have you come to this table looking like that. You know you are to shower and dress before breakfast, or there will be no breakfast."

"But I am hungry," Harry whined.

"Then I suggest you hurry up before I have the house elves clear it away."

Harry ran back to Draco's room and showered quickly, throwing on an outfit from Draco's drawer and then hurrying back down the stairs two at a time, to see the house elves clearing all the food from the table but one single piece of bacon and a spoonful of eggs.

"Hey! What about me eating?"

"Next time you will get up and come to the table dressed and ready. Now go up to your room and stay there for the rest of the day for your impudence."

"I will not, I haven't done anything, and I am hungry."

"If your father were alive you would find yourself beaten within a inch of your life for such sass. I will not tolerate this Draco, and you know this."

Harry was seething now and he couldn't stop the tears that were falling down his face, as he screamed at Narcissa. "I am not Draco. I told you I am Harry, and when my Dad hears what you have done to me he will send you right to Azkaban prison forever!"

Harry again felt the sharp sting of being slapped. "I told you to stop this nonsense about being Harry."

"If you would just go and get Severus we could straighten this all out."

Narcissa's face went pale, and when she next spoke Harry could hear the venom in her words. "I would not ask that man for anything ever again. He killed your father. How could you even utter his name in this house? You will learn to respect the dead Draco, and if I have to be the one to teach you then so be it."

Harry stood defiantly, arms crossed again, glaring at Narcissa as she spoke to Dobby. The house elf disappeared with a pop.

"I will tell you one last time, get to your room and stay there!" Narcissa yelled, and Harry yelled right back at her.

"I told you I am not going anywhere but home! You are not my mother, and I don't have to listen to you."

It was this instant Dobby reappeared with the strap. "As I said Draco, if you will not obey me, then I will teach you to curb that impertinence."

Harry never felt anything so horrible as he did when the blows rained down upon him. He screamed he was Harry till his voice was hoarse, and even then Narcissa kept lashing him with the strap. Harry was so glad when she stopped he couldn't bring himself to argue any further, but he also couldn't stand.

"Get him out of my sight Dobby. I have never seen a more ungrateful child, and I will not be talked to in such a manner. Lock his room, and no one is to give him anything to eat till dinnertime, am I clear?"

Dobby shook his head, his big ears bobbing back and forth. "Very well, go and put him in his room to think about is attitude."

Dobby apparated Harry to his room and placed him on the bed. He watched with tears in his eyes as Harry groaned, but Dobby knew better than to help him. He was just about to apparate back downstairs, when he pulled the single piece of bacon from behind his tea towel. Carefully he laid it on the table and with a pop he was gone.

Harry laid on the bed, and silently prayed his Dad would somehow figure out it was Draco and come for him. As carefully as he could Harry curled under the covers and tried not to move too much for every inch of his back, and bottom felt on fire. For the second time in twenty four hours Harry cried himself to sleep.

Draco and Severus stepped from the fire, Severus flicking his wand to remove any soot from their clothing. Draco stared around at the Headmaster's office in wonder. His father had always told him Dumbledore was an old fool, who stood against the Dark Lord and therefore he should die, but Draco was amazed. Severus went to the chair and sat down to wait while Draco walked around the room touching this thing and that, until his eyes came to rest upon Fawkes.

Draco sucked in his breath at the sight of the magnificent phoenix, and walked over to touch it. Fawkes let out a screech before taking off from its perch, and out of Draco's grasp. This was the moment Albus Dumbledore stepped into the room.

"Severus so good to see you joining me for a spot of tea before classes today. It is rare we have such treats, and Harry I see you have come with your father today too."

Draco nodded his head, and took the seat beside Severus, but he noticed that the Headmaster never took his eyes off of him. Even as Draco sipped his tea and the grown ups talked Dumbledore would take a glance in his direction, and when Severus went to stand, Dumbledore stopped him.

"Harry, you seem different today. Is there anything you wish to discuss?"

Draco quickly composed himself before he turned to face Dumbledore, "No, Headmaster I guess I am just a little bit sleepy."

Dumbledore kept staring at the boy, not knowing what was off, but knowing that Harry did not seem himself. He watched until the door closed behind them, and then he sat behind his desk. For the first time in over fifty years Albus Dumbledore had an eerie feeling that something was not right.