Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Finite Incantatum

The next morning Harry saw a harsh bright light as the door was opened and he lifted his head with hope. That hope was soon shattered as Narcissa appeared in the doorway.

"I am going out for a bit. When I come back, if you can act civilized and cease with these inane thoughts, I will release you." With that she closed the door again and Harry was cast back into the darkness.

He sat there for several minutes before Dobby appeared beside him, holding a plate of food.

"Dobby is thinking Harry Potter is hungry so Dobby is bringing him food."

Harry stared at the plate of food and pushed it back towards the house elf. "Sorry, Dobby, but I can't eat right now."

"Is there anything that Dobby can be getting Harry Potter?"

Harry grew angry with that question. "All I want is to go home, so unless you can get me out of here then there is nothing you can do for me!"

Dobby began backing away then, twisting his hands on his tea towel. "I am sorry, Dobby, I am not angry with you. Here, have a seat beside me, you can at least keep me company."

Harry's act of kindness sent the house elf into another hysterical fit of tears. After five minutes of hearing how great he was, Harry told Dobby he was tired and wanted to go to sleep. Dobby left him, promising to bring him some lunch, but Harry didn't want any food. He wanted his father. "Dad ... please come for me," he whispered.

Draco woke up to someone staring at him. The fear of his own father doing the same thing had him jerking back in fear.

Severus laughed at the boy. "Surely a father can wake his son without scaring him to death."

Draco blushed, but he couldn't help asking the question. "When I woke up you were staring at me, why?"

Severus sighed, but smiled. "I often watch you sleep. I come in here from time to time to check on you in the night and go to leave, but the sight of you looking so peaceful has me staying each time. I am sorry if I scared you."

"No, it's all right," Draco said, taking the offered plate of food from Severus.

"You know I wonder if Draco is eating well? I overheard someone saying Narcissa was in Knockturn Alley speaking about having to punish him for spouting off nonsense. She never was one to have a light touch with the boy."

Draco put the fork back down his appetite gone. "Did she say what she had done to Draco?"

Severus' face grew rather grim then. "I would not like to think of it. I have seen the way Lucius handles Draco, and I could have killed him many times over for it. Let us hope Narcissa is more lenient. Now eat up I have something I wish to show you once you have showered and dressed."

Draco waited for Severus to leave before he flushed the remains of his breakfast down the loo. He couldn't eat thinking about Harry and what his Narcissa was doing to him. Draco knew the way his mother hurt him when she got angry. He wouldn't wish that on his worst enemy, and Harry had been a friend. The guilt of it all was gnawing away at his insides. He didn't know if he could take much more of it.

Turning off the shower Draco stepped out and got dressed in the same red jumper as the day before, now freshly washed and folded in his drawer. Before he would have balked at the idea of wearing something homemade, but now he loved it for it was made with love, something he both missed and treasured.

Harry had slept off and on a few minutes at a time. It had not been a comfortable sleep, though, as his wrist was far from all right and the rest of him was feeling achy. His head now hurt, and each time he sneezed it would send him into a coughing spell. When the door opened again he half expected to see Dobby, but instead it was Narcissa standing there again.

"If you can act civilized then you may come out."

Harry didn't care anymore. He was too cold to argue at this point, so he slowly climbed the stairs, the light hurting his eyes.

"You will sit here and have your meal, as I will be resting on the couch. Do not bother me for my head is throbbing and I wish not to be disturbed for any reason. If you want something, call for one of the house elves."

"The only thing I want they won't give me," Harry mumbled.

"What?"

"Nothing," Harry quickly said, waiting for Narcissa to leave. Once she was gone he sat down in the chair in the kitchen and fell immediately to sleep.

Two hours later Harry awoke to find his plate of food gone and the house very quiet. He carefully tiptoed to the kitchen door and peered out only to see Narcissa laying on the couch asleep. This was his chance. If he was going to try an escape it had to be now.

Harry searched all around the kitchen. He found several knives, but his father had forbidden him to touch them at home so he left them where they were. After going through every drawer in the kitchen all he had come up with was a corkscrew and a fork.

Harry sat down in front of the door using his good arm and tried to pick the lock, but after twenty minutes he was tired and the lock was as sealed as ever. Growing more and more frustrated Harry sat down on the floor with a thump, pulling his knees up to him.

He was cold and hungry and tired and all he wanted to do was go home. His father would always tuck him in when he felt ill and give him a potion. Then when Harry would wake up he would find his Dad asleep in the chair beside the bed, making sure he was all right.

Harry smiled just thinking about his father, and that is when his despair turned to anger. Standing up he looked to make sure Narcissa was still asleep and he headed for the sitting room.

"Where is Harry Potter going?" Dobby asked, standing in front of the doorway.

"I am leaving, Dobby, now move."

"Dobby cannot be letting Harry Potter try to leave. Dobby is supposed to obey Master Malfoy but Dobby doesn't wish to see Harry Potter harmed anymore."

"Sorry, Dobby," Harry said before pushing past the house elf and walking into the sitting room.

Meanwhile ...

Draco finished getting dressed, running his fingers over the outline of the H on the jumper. His guilt was becoming too much.

"Harry, hurry up, I have something I wish to give you," Severus called from the other room.

Draco trudged into the room, planting a smile on his face. "What is it, Dad?"

Severus led Draco the couch, sitting him down and then pulling two packages from behind him in the chair. "I think you are old enough now to have these."

Draco wondered what was in the boxes, but he did not ask, waiting for Severus to continue.

Severus cleared his throat and then opened the first box handing Draco a beautiful wand. "This was your mother's. I found it laying next to her and took it before the Aurors arrived. You still may not use it, but I thought you would like to keep it as something that was hers."

Draco choked down the lump in his throat. He didn't want the wand. It was Harry's mothers and she had died. He didn't deserve it, Harry did. Severus was about to open the other box and Draco felt the tears pooling in his eyes as he did.

"This," Severus said, pulling the ring from he box was your Great Grandfather's from what I understand. It has been passed down from father to son for generations now, and I think the time has come for it to be passed down to you."

Severus reached for Draco's finger to place the ring on it, but Draco snatched his hand back as if the ring burned him. Severus looked up alarmed to see tears streaming down his face, a face with a look of horror on it.

"I can't take it anymore!" Draco screamed.

Severus was on his feet in a second, trying to calm Draco. "Harry, what is it? Is something wrong? Are you in some kind of pain?"

"I'm not Harry!" Draco yelled, backing away. "I am Draco, Harry is at my house, and I have been here."

Severus' face grew red with anger. "Harry, stop this at once and tell me what is wrong."

Draco didn't know what else to do so he snatched the wand from the table and pointed it at himself.

"Harry what are you doing?" Severus said, walking towards him, arm outstretched to stop him.

"I'm sorry, Severus, really I am."

Before Severus could get to him he heard the spell uttered, "Finite Incantatum!" and before him stood Draco Malfoy.

Chapter End Notes:
Only 3 chapters left and then I will post a new story