Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

She is Not Coming Back

Severus did not want to be bothered by anyone who might see him, the Potion Master, toting around a child. Therefore, before he made it to the apparition point, he placed a glamour over himself, giving him auburn hair and green eyes, instead of his dark brown ones. Severus wished he could do more, but Lily had always been the better at charms. He would have to settle with what he had done.

"Remie," Harry said, holding his arms up and smiling.

Severus wondered who Harry was talking about, but slapped his forehead as they stepped out into Diagon Alley. "Of course, I must look like Remus," he thought. "Oh well. At least Harry would not be frightened of him.

Their first stop was to get Harry some new shoes, seeing as he had none on right now. The witch inside fawned all over Harry, telling him what a good boy he was and giving him a sucker before they exited.

Severus pried the sucker from Harry's grasp, and cleaned him up, grumbling about how people never thought of the consequences of giving candy to children. Seeing Harry's forlorn look at his candy being taken, Severus knew he had a lot to learn. He could see Harry's chin start to tremble, but he was not prepared for the flood of tears that fell, nor the hiccupping sobs. Laying Harry's head down on his shoulder, he patted his back, rubbing soothing circle motions until he calmed down.

"Candy is not good for little boys before dinner."

Sighing when he saw Harry swipe the tears away with his fist, Severus thought maybe that the next stop should be the toy store. He would much rather have Harry playing with a couple of toys, than find the boy playing with more of his potions. Walking in Severus was floored. The store was stacked from floor to ceiling with every toy he could ever imagine. Train whistles went off somewhere in the back of the store, and beside him a doll cried out for her mommy. Severus was rooted to where he stood. He didn't know where to start, what toys were good, or what Harry would prefer to play with.

"Welcome, sir, can I assist you and your son today?"

"I am in need of something to amuse the boy, something that will occupy him," Severus said, putting on the act of a non-doting father. He facade fell away, though, when he saw Harry's eyes light up at the sight of the toy broom.

"It seems your son wishes to play quidditch one day."

"He is too young for such things now. I need something for his current age, not ten years from now."

Severus and the shopkeeper talked for a few minutes, deciding on what would be best for a toddler, but Harry had other ideas. He slipped away unnoticed, and Severus found him among the stuffed animals. Severus' heart slowed down to its normal rhythm, and he went to pull Harry out of the huge pile.

"Let go of the bear, Harry."

"No, my bear," Harry said, his grip on it tightening.

Severus tugged, but Harry's small grasp was firm, and the hint of tears at being parted from it had Severus paying the man and departing the store.

They visited many more shops and bought many more things -- shoes, clothes, and even a set of wee robes. They also purchased toys and books to read at night, and much to Severus' amazement, the set of dishes for which Harry had whimpered. Now tired, Severus headed home. His stomach felt as if it had started to eat itself. Plain and simple, Severus was starving.

"Welcome home, Master Snape. Lucy shall have dinner on the table in two winks."

"I would be grateful, Lucy. I will just be putting away the few things we got for Harry today.

Lucy watched as a trail of things floated in through the door and her mouth fell open. Didn't her master say a few things? Yet she saw over twenty parcels float by her. With a knowing smile, she returned to her pot and the vegetable soup she was making.

With dinner filling their stomachs and a nice strawberry shortcake for dessert, Harry yawned.

"I think you are tired, young man," Severus said, taking Harry into his room and putting on his new pajamas. Walking into the bathroom, Severus returned with a wet washcloth. He washed Harry's face and hands, and then tucked him down under the covers. He was about to turn out the light when he heard the soft whimpering. Severus stopped to see what Harry was saying, and it sent ripples of agony through him.

"Mama, I want mama," Harry called over and over.

Severus walked back over and sat down. "Harry, your mum is gone. She is not coming back, but I will take care of you, I promise." Severus didn't think Harry understood. When the boy burst into tears, he knew he didn't. Sobbing, Harry clung to him, his small fists pounding him across the back.

"Mama, mama come back."

The words froze Severus' heart. The tears rolling down Harry's face sending him over the edge, Severus was soon also crying. He cried for his beloved Lily. He cried for the two years he had missed out on in Harry's life. He cried for the pitiful, hurt child he could not comfort. Severus held Harry until his sobs calmed to only hiccups and his grasp lessened.

"Harry?" he called, but the child had fallen asleep. Laying him down on the pillow, Severus pulled the covers to his chin.

"I can't bring your mum back, Harry," he whispered, "but I will be here for you from now on." Severus pulled up a chair to the side of the bed and sat vigil over his son. He would be there should Harry wake again, and would chase away any dreams that haunted him. This was his life now, his heart, his soul, his whole being, and there was nothing he would not do for him.