Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
As always it is AU
At the Mercy of a Child

Severus rushed Harry in through the doors, and Harry had to run to keep up with his father. Once safe inside his quarters, Severus placed a silencing charm on the door.

"Harry, I want to try to explain some things. That man was Lucius Malfoy, and his son, Draco. Lucius and I have had dealings with each other, and he has become quite the nuisance, not to mention his son will probably join his father someday in servitude to the Dark Lord, no matter my intentions to try to persuade him otherwise."

Severus was pacing back and forth, his glamour fading, and his hair was turning from brown to black as he spoke. When he looked down to see if Harry was paying attention, he saw the boy just staring. Berating himself, Severus realized a three year old was the beneficiary of his discussion. Taking in a deep breath and kneeling before his son, Severus tried again.

"The man we saw today is a very bad man and will hurt you if he knows about what you look like. His little boy is fine now but when he gets older he will hurt you, too."

Harry sat for a minute taking in what his father had just told him. Then climbing onto the chair next to him, he turned to look at Severus. The brown eyes he had were now turning green again.

"No, Daddy, you said no one is all bad, and I liked Draco. He is funny."

Severus realized he had just heard his own lecture to Harry returned to him from out of the mouth of a child.

"You are correct Harry, no one is all bad, but I wish you never to reveal who you are to either of them."

Severus noted how Harry did not seemed worried about the Death Eater Lucius, nor did he seem particularly wary of what he was telling him. Knowing it was cruel to say to a three year old, but knowing he would get his point across no other way, Severus got Harry's attention before he spoke. "If they find out what you really look like, and if you say anything other than you are my son, then they will take you away from Daddy forever."

"No!" Harry shouted, clinging to Severus, tears already forming. "I won't say anything Daddy, honest. I don't want them to take me away."

Severus calmed his son, rubbing his back in soothing circles until the boy ceased crying.

"Do not worry, Harry. I will not let them take you from me, just promise you will keep your glamour on when they are around."

Harry shook his head yes, and Severus stood, picking him up and taking him over to the kitchen. He sat Harry down and both had a nice lunch of soup and sandwiches. Severus knew Harry would need friends, but the thought of Draco befriending him scared Severus somewhat. Not that the boy was dangerous, but Draco worshipped his father and would tell him anything to please him -- that was what scared Severus.

After lunch Severus found himself even contemplating introducing Harry to the Weasley clan. He loathed being near them for more than an hour or so at a time; their shows of affection and constant rambling made him wish to silence the entire bunch, but his concern was for Harry. Would they shun Harry because he was Severus' son, or would they give him the same doting they did all their children?

Severus knew he could wait for awhile. School would be getting out for the summer shortly, and then Harry would be free to roam the castle, and Severus himself would have more time to consider a playmate for him.

July 1984

Severus and Harry had spent many hours teaching Harry how to write and read. Harry was only going to be four on his birthday, but he was far too inquisitive for his own good and had pestered Severus nonstop until he sat down and started teaching the child. Severus had thought once Harry learned how to read he would not want Severus to read to him before bed anymore, but his fears were put to rest quickly when Harry came to him, book in hand each night, waiting for his Daddy to come and make the dragon noises.

One morning when Harry was sitting on the floor drawing Severus came out of his room dressed in muggle jeans and a blue tee shirt. When Harry looked up at him the laughter reverberated off the walls.

"What is so amusing?" Severus asked, wondering, since he had tried to wear what he thought was appropriate muggle attire.

"Daddy, you look different, and you have on black socks and dress shoes. Only old people wear those, and you aren't old, are you Daddy?"

Severus decided he did not wish to discuss his age, or the fact that he had made the ultimate fashion disaster, considering Harry's giggles and snorts.

"What should I be wearing then?" He asked, his arms crossed.

"White shoes and socks, Daddy."

Severus shuddered, the thought of himself in white socks and shoes was something he could not fathom.

"It is hot outside, don't you want to wear shorts?"

"Shorts?" Severus asked, not knowing what the child meant. The blur of Harry running past him sent Severus' head looking to the direction of Harry's room, but when the child returned with what he deemed shorts, Severus' face paled even further.

"See, like these, Daddy. Are we going somewhere? Can I come with you? Is it for work? Why are you dressed like a muggle, Daddy?"

Severus held up his hand to silence Harry's never ending questions. It had to be a trait of Lily's, for he had not asked that many questions at once ever in his life. Sometimes he thought the child would run out of air, but every time he was amazed when he didn't.

"I am going to muggle London. Yes, you can come, if you hurry, and are you sure I should be wearing those?" he said, pointing to the shorts in Harry's hand.

"Yes, and I will hurry. Do not leave without me. Can we go to the sweet shop? Can we go and see the telly I was telling you about?"

"Harry, cease these questions and get dressed," Severus said, his patience wearing thin.

When Harry closed the door to the room Severus charmed his socks white and then thought of what Harry was referring to when he said trainers. He assumed Harry was talking about those infernal things the students wore on weekends. With a roll of his eyes and a flick of his wand, Severus changed the black shoes into the trainers he had seen before. He would never admit it but his feet were comfortable. He was just transfiguring his long slacks into these shorts Harry spoke of when Harry walked out of his room ready to go.

The giggles started again and Severus was without any patience left. "What now? I have the proper clothing on, yes?"

Harry slapped his hand to his face to stem the giggles from escaping and then stared from his father's legs to his face.

"Daddy, your legs glow like the stars you put on my ceiling. You need some sun."

Severus thought about what Harry was saying and then peered down at his legs. The child was correct; his legs could reflect light at a thousand paces they were so pale. Sighing, he pulled his wand back out of the waistband of his shorts and soon his legs were the same shade as Harry's.

"Is this acceptable now?" he asked, severely hating that his manner of attire was at the whim of a child.

"You look nice, Daddy. Can we go now?"

"We shall leave in one moment, but first I must speak with Lucy. Wait for me by the floo."

Severus did not take long, and then he picked up Harry and stepped into the fireplace. Throwing down the floo powder, he yelled, "Vine Street, London."

Harry laid his head on Severus' shoulder, not wanting to be sick like last time. He now knew about traveling by floo, but that did not mean he liked it. When the swirling stopped, he and Severus stepped out of the fireplace, and Harry found they were in some kind of shopping plaza.

"Daddy, why didn't those people know what I was talking about when I told them of the store we just left?"

"Harry, only witches and wizards can see it, not muggles. We are out today for you to show me what you want for your birthday. If you do not dawdle we can even have an ice cream before we head home."

The squee from Harry sent shivers down Severus' back. He knew he must curb those before the child got any older, or he knew his ear drum might burst. They spent the next hour in the clothing store, as Harry said Severus needed a pair of trainers so he would not have to configure his black shoes. It took all of Severus' restraint to not curse the friendly salesman. Snatching up his shoes, Severus guided Harry from the store before his willpower broke and the man found himself, bound and gagged.

"Where to next, Harry?"

Harry surveyed the shops around and asked if he could go into the toy store, Harrah's. Severus blanched at the idea when he saw the huge teddy bear sitting in the window waving at the passerby's, but the look of joy on Harry's face had him giving in.

"We may go in, but please stay close to me and remember what I have said about not telling anyone your name."

"I thought no wizards came to where muggles live?" Harry said.

"We are wizards and we are here, therefore, others may be here. Always be leery of your surroundings, Harry."

Realizing once again that Harry was staring at him blankly, Severus clasped his hand around Harry's and walked into the toy store.

The cold air was the first thing that hit Severus, and then the noise of over forty children. His instincts told him to run as fast as he could out the door, but Harry was pulling him toward the toys.

"Look, Daddy, this is a ray gun!" Harry said, pointing the gun at Severus and firing it.

Severus was caught unaware and dived to the floor, hand reaching for his wand when the red light on the gun lit up.

"Sir, are you all right?" the saleslady asked, looking down at Severus, who was still on the floor.

"I tripped, but thank you for your assistance," Severus said, standing and straightening his shirt.

Severus then led Harry away from the toy guns, fearful his instincts would kick in and some stray child would be blasted to Wales.

Severus led Harry down the stuffed animal aisle, thinking that it was a safe toy to have. He even handed Harry a green dragon that looked like Draweyn from Harry's book. He immediately dropped it when, after pressing its stomach, the dragon emitted a roar.

"Is there nothing in this shop that does not roar, spin, make noise, or otherwise make me wish to pull my hair out?"

Harry was staring at Severus, and so were many other people. Blushing from the unwanted attention, Harry shrugged his shoulders and crept towards the door. Severus caught him before he made it outside and knelt down before him.

"I am sorry, Harry, but I am not used to such a place. Can you not just tell me what you wish and I will send someone for it?"

"I don't need anything, Daddy. I have fun reading my book at home and drawing pictures."

"Harry, you need something for your birthday!"

Seeing the child was not going to reveal anything, Severus mentally slapped himself. He had once again lost control and had probably frightened the child. When he looked down at Harry, all the excitement from this morning was gone from his face.

"How about a bite of lunch?"

Harry nodded yes, and Severus picked him up and started for the little cafe he had seen down the street. He noticed Harry was sighing a lot, but yet not speaking. He was about to tell Harry how sorry he was again when the sound of music floated down the street. Harry turned his head the same time Severus did, and both saw the whirling lights and the rides that were up ahead. Severus was no fool, and he saw the sparkle in Harry's eyes and a smile flitter across his face.

"Perhaps we could stop by there after a bite to eat. That is if you wish to..." Severus said, looking for some reaction from Harry. The smile was enough to calm his earlier misgivings about trying to hex the people in the toy store, and he and Harry walked inside to lunch.

The waitress came over and took their order, but when she came back, she spoke to Severus.

"Your son is very well behaved. It is not often I see children who are respectful or that quiet."

Severus nodded his approval, but inside his chest was beaming with pride. Of course his son was respectful and good, could he be anything else?

Harry ate all his food, even the broccoli, Severus noticed. He thought Harry must really want to go to these amusement rides, as they were called, for last time broccoli had been put on his plate he swore he would die if he ate it.

"It seems we are ready to leave then." Severus laid the money for the bill on the table, and then he and Harry left out of the cafe and headed down the street to the sounds of the carousel and other rides.