Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:

OMG I have a beta and she is god!! here it is! Chapter 15...actually already been beta'd *tears up* I am just so happy its not a la crap anymore...its fixed!!

Thousands and thousands of skittles to my beta!! she knows who she is!! I

Happy Birthday

Snape stuck his head into Harry's room later that night to find that the teen was fast asleep for once, and his body was relaxed. Shutting the door quietly he rested a hand on it and stared. The enemy of his childhood died years ago by the hand of the man he once swore himself loyal to. There are times when late at night you regret rash decisions you make in anger. A look of pain crossed his face as he felt his arm flare up. He pressed a hand on to it.

He was through being a spy; he had told Dumbledore so when he agreed to take Potter for the summer. And somehow he ended up being stuck with the brat for all time. He thought with what he wanted to believe was disgust, but in truth of late he found himself being shocked at Harry's actions. While dangerous and unnecessary the boy's only thought seemed to be preventing as many deaths as possible. Shaking his head Snape made his way to his own rooms to take a pain relieving potion. The dark mark on his arm burned even more painfully, but he wouldn't allow the dark lord to summon him. He had two children in his care now, granted he wasn't overly fond of children, but they were his students and his charges and he was not going to leave them alone.

He lay down on the bed and closed his eyes praying that for once Potter would sleep the night through. He had enough nightmares on his own he didn't want to have to live through any of the child's. He closed his eyes tightly, not that a child Potter's age should have such severe ones. It was the boy's own fault for bottling in most of his feelings until he couldn't take any more and exploded. Slowly Snape felt himself drift off to sleep all the while muttering imaginative curses at Bill Weasley. How he allowed himself be talked into it he would never know. Finally the potions master slept dreaming happy thoughts of giving a roomful of Gryffindors detention for no reason...

July 31st was not a big day. It was a day like any other; the sun rose into the sky creating a soft hue of light that streamed into the room onto the sleeping form that could loosely be termed a teenager. Said teenager groaned at the sun light and turned away from the glare pulling the blankets over his head so it wouldn't reach his eyes. The door to the room opened and a snicker could be heard, causing the teen to pop his head slightly out to see the blurry form of a blonde in the doorway.

"You have five minutes to get your body out of here before I get up and make you," the teen in bed growled out.

The blonde chuckled. "Potter, you can't honestly plan on staying in bed all day long."

"Watch me Malfoy!" Harry hissed at him, not at all a morning person.

Draco laughed and walked into the room unafraid. "Potter unless I am very much mistaken today is your birthday."

Harry groaned.

"Let me sleep for the love of Qudditch!" Harry moaned into his pillow, ignoring Draco's comment. He wasn't a bloody moron, he knew what day it was!

Draco rolled his eyes and yanked the blankets off the teen.

"Get up Potter."

Harry whined "I don' wanna!" burrowing his head into the pillow which he clutched like a lifeline.

"Potter, up!" Draco commanded in his best dictator voice.

"Go away dragon's breath!"

"Potter stop acting like a baby!"

"Go away and let me sleep," Harry yelled back not moving from his pillow.

Draco glared at him storming over to Harry's head and began to tug on the pillow.

Harry growled and curled his body around it.

"Potter let go of the pillow and get up!"

"Go away! You smell of rotten fish!"

Draco screamed and yanked hard causing Harry to fall on top of him and both to fall off the bed the pillow sliding all the way to the door.

"If it's my bloody birthday why can't I sleep in?" Harry yelled at Draco shoving him from underneath him and reaching up to grab his glasses and glare at the blonde.

"Because you just can't! God, I though Snape got rid of all your old clothes," Draco said sneering at seeing Harry adorned in a pair of hand-me-down sweat pants and t-shirt.

Harry rolled his eyes.

"I hid these, it's nice to have some old clothes so that it doesn't matter what happens to them," Harry countered.

Draco rolled his eyes back at him and grabbed Harry's arm. "They are going into the fire Potter," he pulled Harry to his feet, "and you need a shower. Don't do anything to your hair I'll handle it," dragging him towards the bathroom.

"What the hell Draco," Harry snapped trying to yank his arm free but all he ended managing to do was loosen the grip slightly. He was shoved into the bathroom.

"Shut up and take a nice long shower, I'm locking the door till I find the perfect outfit for you."

"I can pick my own outfits," Harry shouted as the door closed in his face. He fumed at the door for several minutes then groaned, he was so going to prank the hell out of Draco later. Still muttering underneath his breath he shed his clothes and turned the shower. He watched the water as it slowly began to steam. Stepping underneath it he tilted his head up. It was already proving to be a very odd birthday. Sighing he shook his head and smiled sadly. A year ago he had been at the Durselys'...and Sirius had still been alive. He closed his hands into fists and braced himself pushing out from the shower wall allowing the hot water to practically scald his tattoo. He ground his teeth in anger and felt the water cool slightly, sighing he turned it off and glanced at the door, knowing Draco he would be awhile yet. His eyes turned and stared at the mirror. A stranger stared back at him with haunted emerald green eyes. He froze as the door opened and snagged the towel that hung near by wrapping it around his waist, he gave Draco a cold look.

"You could've knocked to let me know you were coming in," he said grumpily.

Draco rolled his eyes. "Since when did you become modest?"

"Since I was dragged out of bed and ordered around!"

Draco laughed and set the clothes by the door out of Harry's sight then stared at Harry.

"You're hair is a disaster Potter."

Harry snickered. "Going for hair stylist as a job Draco," he asked trying to get at least one good jab in at the blonde.

Draco smacked Harry lightly on the head. "No but I was born with a gene that actually has some type of fashion sense."

Harry muttered darkly, "I think you had to have been female in a past life Draco."

Draco clucked his tongue at Harry.

"Good thing then, that means I can impart my great knowledge onto you. Now don't move," Draco commanded.

Harry grumpily folded his arms and slouched. This was not how he planned on spending his birthday!!

"Potter stop being such a baby!" Draco then set to the most impossible task of them all... tame Harry's hair.

Harry winced as Draco tugged at it roughly.

"What the hell is up with you anyways? First you get me out of bed, force me into the shower, pick out my clothes! I can dress myself thank you oh so much and now you are picking on me because of my hair! I'm getting sick of this!" Harry shoved Draco's hands away. He glared mutinously at him and Draco glanced at the door.

"You never care about what you wear so why should it matter if you picked it out or not!"

"I am not some little kid that needs everything done for me so stop treating me like one! And I can do my own hair...," he added, his eyes lighting with temper daring Draco to disagree.

Draco smirked. "Okay, I'll leave you to it then but I'm locking the door. I'll be back to check on you."

Harry grabbed a spare towel and threw it at Draco as he left the room. He quickly ruffled his hair free from the little bit of smoothing Draco had managed. He glanced in the mirror and wrinkled his nose; he had no desire to grow out his hair. In fact, he began to rummage through the drawers beneath the sink searching for a pair of scissors.

"Come on there has got to be a pair here!" Then at last he found a pair, snatching them up into his hands he glared at his reflection. He grinned...Snape was going to have his head but at least for once he would have his hair the way he wanted! Ruthlessly he chopped at his hair, grinning more as he cut it shorter leaving only a few strands of his bangs left, then he took the scissors more to the top of his head.

By the time Harry was done, his hair was spiked up slightly and very short. Smirking he put the scissors down and then turned to the clothes Draco had brought him. He paled at the sight.

"I don't even remember buying this..." he grumbled. He held up the emerald green t-shirt that had one shoulder cut completely off. "What am I supposed to be a freaking poster boy?" Harry pulled the shirt on, at least the pants were a pair of black cargo's. He would've preferred jeans because they were tougher and could be used in rougher situations. He turned as the door opened.

"Draco where the hell did this..." he trailed off as he saw it was not Draco but Snape standing in the doorway.

"Potter! What are you doing?"

This was not good...

"Draco! Get your arse in here!"

Yeah, defiantly not good...

"I leave you to your own for 10 seconds and you're doing something stupid boy!"

Harry stared at Snape blinking as Draco came jogging in. The blonde's hair was wet, which meant he must've been taking a shower as well. His jaw dropped when he saw Harry.

"Draco, why did you leave him?"

"Harry...that looks wicked," Draco said with a grin.

Snape glared at the two teens. Then he finally moved his eyes back to Harry, he would never admit it but the boy had actually done a decent job with it.

"Potter, do not attempt to do such a thing again," Snape said in a strained voice, he was growing soft. But he didn't feel like dealing with a certain Weasley if he ruined the blasted boy's birthday.

Harry shrugged, "whatever," he said testily.

Snape forced himself not to cuff Harry on the ear.

"Go back to your room," he comamnded and watched as Harry heading to his room, limping slightly. Snape waited until the door slammed shut.

"Give him five minutes Draco then get in there and make sure he stays put. Merlin knows how that Weasley talked me into this," Snape growled while Draco smartly hid a smirk.

"Cause you're a softie," he said and ran for his room smartly.

Snape snarled at him then headed downstairs, he still had to put certain items away before...they arrived. God he was giving the youngest Weasley boy detention every chance he got this year just to get back at Bill.

Harry sat on his bed fuming...he was so mad. Stupid Snape, he thought and stood yanking his blankets back onto his bed. He was just going back to bed and pretend that the day was already over. He dove under the blankets and threw them over his head, okay so he was being ridiculous, acting like a teenager, well he was one! He groaned as the door to his room opened and took a guess at who had walked in.

"Go away Draco! I am just going to sleep all day!" He could hear the blonde snort.

"No you won't."

"Yes I will!" Sitting up he glared at Draco. "Why is it so important to you that I stay awake anyway?"

"Beyond it's your birthday?"

"Yes! What is the big deal?" Harry groaned when Draco smirked, the blonde was acting really suspicious. "Alright Draco spill, what is going on?"

"Nothing really, I just don't feel like letting you sleep all day," The blonde said with a smirk. But then he stood. "Though I think I'll give you your present from me right now. Stay here I'll be right back." Once Harry nodded he dashed from the room.

Sighing Harry stood and moved to sit in one of the overlarge chairs in his room, Snape had added when he found Draco kept challenging Harry late at night to Chess. A minute later Draco was back with something wrapped in snake wrapping paper. The object looked very much like a broom. Harry stared as Draco held it out to him.

"Open it Potter."

Harry slowly opened it and his jaw dropped, the broom that lay in his hands was the newest model and the most advanced, with green script and a pin stripe down to the end of the broom.

"But this is an Eternity!" Harry started to hand it back to Draco, but the blonde snorted.

"I already have one Potter, I figured, if we wanted to fly solo during the school year at least we can keep up with one another," and gave Harry a look that said ‘though I am better than you'.

"You just want me to kick your ass again Malfoy," Harry declared with glee.

"You can try." Draco said with his heir of Slytherin tone of voice.

"Draco! Harry! Come down here at once!"

Draco flashed Harry a grin. "Leave the broom here Harry."

Harry reluctantly set his broom against the wall, he really would rather test it out. Sighing Harry rolled his eyes and followed Draco out of the room.

"Is it me or is Snape being a lot nicer than usual," Harry commented as he headed down the stairs with Draco.

"You have no idea," the blonde said then stepped to the side.

"Happy Birthday Harry!"

Harry froze his jaw dropping. Crammed in the entrance way stood practically the entire Gryffindor House. Not to mention some less than pleased Slytherins who had been threatened with detentions from a certain teacher if they didn't show up. Also there was Cri, Charlie (who had his arm around Cri, wincing as she kept wacking him in the ribs with her elbow, Bill, Fred and George, and Remus. Harry glanced around to see Snape shooting a half smile at Harry.

"Potter, I will hold to the fact I was threatened. That is the only sane reason why I allowed this,"

Ron and Herminoe rushed forward.

"Harry what the heck is going on?!" Ron stated in his usual overloud voice. Harry glanced around and shook his head.

"I'll explain later." He promised.

"You better." Ron said grumpily.

"So did you bake him a cake too Snapey poo?" Cri's voice rang out silencing the entire room.

"Cri! Get you're body in the kitchen now!" Snape hissed at her.

"Yes sir, dear sir," Cri said shoving Charlie's arm off her with a grin and a wink. Once in the kitchen, Snape took the first pan he saw and swung at Cri with it, who smoothly stepped around the aim. Snape just shook his head, he knew he should never have trained the idiot.

"Don't ever say such a thing in public again!" He snapped then added, "oO private for that matter! Further more...what do you take me as! I am not a house wife! No I did not make," Snape shuddered at the mere thought of such an act, "Potter a cake, but I did get him one."

"Aww, but see, I thought you'd bake him one since, after all you are a big happy family now," Cri said with her usual grin.

"What! Cri, Go out there and behave!" Snape swung his arm towards her behind, he was going to hang himself if Dumbledore ever did convince the girl to take that teaching position at Hogwarts.

Cri spun and before he was able to stop her, planted a kiss on his cheek. "You're just a soft heart Professor," And then quickly fled the room.

Snape growled, he wanted to yell, and slam things, tan that insane woman's hide from dawn to dusk but did he? No, he merely calmed himself steeled his expression to a sneer and went back out to the party. Any friend of a Weasley was most certainly insane. His eyes caught Harry again being pulled away from his other guests by a certain redhead, while the Slytherins were cornering Draco. Snape wondered which would cause more havoc. Cri herself was surrounded by Weasley's and Gryffindor's who were staring at her tattoos. Snape sighed...why was it when it was Bill's idea, it was still up to him to make sure that they all behaved themselves. Grumbling he headed for Draco first, chances were there would be hexes.

"I don't see why Professor Snape forced us all here. And why on earth are you in the same house as Potter?" Pansy Parkison couldn't possibly believe what had come over Draco.

Draco growled. "Potter isn't what we all assumed he was."

"And what did ‘we' assume he was?" Theodore Nott said folding his arms.

Draco smirked. "A Gryffindor, that kid has more Slytherin in him than Gryffindor. The only thing he does have is their stupid bravery. Which I would like to point out is practically the cause of every event that had him ‘shining true' as Dumbledore's golden boy," Draco said in a patient voice.

Millicent flicked her long black hair over her shoulder and glanced in the Gryffindor's direction. The summer had been kind to her, she had lost her chunkiness and instead took on a slender build, and her lips had kept their fullness which accented her face. She had already turned down many requests by both Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle. She glanced over and caught Draco watching her. "I suppose there could be a point in your reasoning Draco." She sniffed.

Pansy glared at her. "Are you insane, he's Gryffindor's poster boy!"

Millicent flicked her hair over her shoulder again as she turned to face Pansy. "And Draco's, to use your same wording, the Slytherin Poster boy. Think for a moment Pan. The two of them together, we're corrupting Gryffindor's best boy!" She said winking at Draco. She wasn't really outspoken, and preferred her company to be with her cat's at home, but Draco had never done wrong to her. Pansy opened and shut her mouth then she grinned. The other Sltyherins exchanged similar smiles that one could say were almost sinister, but Millicent cast another glance at where Harry stood with Ron not looking at all happy.

"Draco..." She said walking over placing a hand on his shoulder and leaning in to make it look like she was flirting. "I think the little lion is in trouble with another lion," she said. Draco gave her a surprised glance. She shrugged, she might be quiet but she wasn't slow like Vincent and Gregory.

"If you will all excuse me I'll be right back," Draco said but he nodded his thanks to Millicent as he quickly walked towards Harry, he waved his hand catching Snape's attention knowing the man had been watching his Slythrins closely.

Snape followed him.

Ron dragged Harry away from the others and glared at his best friend. "Okay spill it Harry, why are you at Snape's house and why are you acting all nice to Malfoy," he ground out.

Harry shrugged. "Because this summer I ran away from the Dursleys, ran into Snape literally, ended up staying here and somewhere along the way Snape ended up my new Guardian. Draco came over here, as...well he came over and we got over the damn feud and are actually friends now," Harry explained in a rush of words.

Ron stared at him for exactly one minute before he exploded.

"YOU'RE FRIENDS WITH THAT SLIMLY NO GOOD SLYTHERIN! AND YOU LET SNAPE BECOME YOU'RE GUARDIAN! ARE YOU MENTAL?"

Harry grabbed his arm and dragged him into the study away from the rest of the guests. "Calm down Ron it isn't that big a deal."

"Not a big deal! Those two treat all Gryffindor's like trash and now you're willingly staying near them! And your friends with Malfoy!"

Harry clenched his hands into fists. He was not going to punch his best friend just because he was being an idiot.

"Ron calm down. This doesn't change anything," Harry shouted back.

Ron shook his head. "This changes everything! You're friends with a Malfoy! He's evil Harry, there isn't a witch or wizard that hasn't gone bad in Slytherin, you know that!"

"Maybe they went bad because nobody gave a damn to actually stop and look at them, instead they just judge them by who their parents are, what house they got sorted into, maybe they turned evil because that was the right thing to do! And don't throw the fact that Voldemort was in that house into my face! Not all the witches and wizards that came out of Slytherin are evil!"

"Sirius would be turning over in his grave right now Harry," Ron said.

Harry's eyes darkened. "There's a slight problem with that statement Ronald. He doesn't have a grave," Harry said coolly.

Ron screamed and before Harry could think to react punched him in the eye.

"Traitor," Ron screamed.

"Mr. Weasley, what exactly do you think you are doing? And in my house!" Snape's voice filled the room. Ron paled then sneered when he saw Draco was standing with Snape. Draco walked over to Harry to look at the eye Harry was now pressing on. He made a move to attack Ron but Harry grabbed his arm.

"He didn't do anything Professor we were just talking." Harry said lowering his hand. Snape raised an eyebrow.

"Do you think I was born yesterday Potter? Go to your room, I will see that you're guests leave..." He said, Harry nodded, his eyes thanking Snape as he released Draco and headed for his room. Draco turned to Ron once he heard Harry's footsteps on the stairs.

"You just did the stupidiest thing ever Weasel. I am going to make your life a living hell for that," he said then left the room.

Snape glared at Ron.

"Detetion when we get back to Hogwarts Mr. Weasley. Now if you will kindly follow me." He said....

Harry sat on his bed staring at his ceiling; he blinked when he heard something that sounded very much like a cat. His door opened and Cri stuck her head in.

"Hey there Phoenix," she said walking in hiding something behind her back, "some birthday party," she winced.

Harry shrugged.

"It's okay, I just feel bad for everyone who came here having Snape kick them out and all." Harry said.

Cri nodded. "They were none to pleased with that Ron."

Harry froze staring at her. "Why aren't they happy with Ron?"

"Snape told them he no longer wanted them in his house, as Ron decided to give you a black eye. Mind you he said it in a much more tactful way, but that was the gist of it. So you've got a pile of presents waiting for you in the sitting room. But I wanted to give you yours from me personally, and convinced Snape I'd be able to keep you from your sulking," She said with a grin.

Harry laughed and shook his head.

"I was not sulking."

"Yes you were, but here... Happy Birthday," she said and took from behind her back something small and fluffy. It was white with spots of light brown, dark brown and black on it, its eyes as green as Harry's stared at him then it mewed.

"That's...a kitten! Snape..." Harry began but had to shut up as said kitten was deposited in his lap.

"I already checked with him. And this little guy should grow up big...real big," Cri said with a twisted grin.

Harry pet the kitten and glanced up.

"What do you mean big?"

"Look him up in a book Harry then you'll get my meaning." she said and ruffled his hair. "Nice hair by the way. Now I have to go before Snape tries to hit me with another pan."

"Okay have a...wait another pan?" Harry said looking up, Cri grinned and winked.

"Our little secret Harry," she said and twirled from the room, but she paused in the doorway. "Happy Birthday."

Chapter End Notes:
*in a hidden location* Chapter sixteen already written just waiting for it to be done being beta'd *vanishes*