Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Here it is, chapter 16 all beta'd and everything. Skittles to my beta again...now  I don't have an excuse to stall on working on seventeen, Hope you all enjoy this chapter if not...I'm changing addresses =p! J/k! Please review!!
Home is where the heart is...

Harry picked up yet another text book and dropped it into his trunk. He was going home, he thought with relief. At long last he was going back to Hogwarts! Granted this summer had been most likely one of the calmest summers he had had, but still he thought of Hogwarts as his home.

"And I have no clue where I will be going to after the school year ends," he mumbled. He hadn't heard a word from Snape as to whether or not he had actually claimed guardianship over him. It didn't matter, it couldn't matter. Harry was used to it, once he was old enough he was going to get himself an apartment in Diagon Alley.

"Hey Har! You almost done packing? Snape's having a seizure about being late," Draco yelled from outside his room. Harry rolled his eyes.

"Almost!" He grabbed Hedwig's cage. He would be able to see her again. He was sure she and Galahad, his new pet, would get along fine. Tossing it into the trunk he slammed it shut. Then he walked over to the messenger bag, Ginny Weasley had given him for his birthday. He had written to everyone thanking them, he only wished Ron would stop being a prat and talk to him. He reached over and picked up the thick leather bound book that Snape had left for him on the night of his birthday. Opening it he traced the perfect handwriting.

"Potter! I hope you will use this much better at night than that invisibility cloak you tried to hide from me!

S. Snape."

He flipped the page over and stared at the bright gold lettering: An Apprentice's Guide to Healing. Sighing he slid it into the messenger bag and grabbed the book Hermione gave him as well: Everything You Need to Know About Self Defense. Satisfied he glanced around the room, somehow he had managed to fit every thing he owned into his trunk, which meant it would be ridiculously heavy, but he didn't want to loose anything. Draping the bag over his shoulder he walked over to the windowsill where Galahad was napping.

Snape walked into the open door and looked around the room.

"What are you doing? I said pack not clean the room out!" Snape was staring in shock at the spotless and quite empty bedroom.

"I did pack," Harry said blinking; everything was neatly in his trunk, what was the problem?

"Yes...but you cleaned the room out. I didn't expect you to take everything. We will come back," Snape said.

Harry looked away; he wasn't exactly sure how to put it to Snape that he wasn't sure of anything anymore.

"Just take what you really need Harry. We'll be back next summer, if not this Christmas," Snape replied with a weary sigh.

"Alright," he said though he made no move to remove anything from the trunk, just scooped Galahad up and put the kitten on his shoulder.

"Harry, what's wrong?" Snape had started to force himself to use Harry's first name, though when the boy drove him to the brink of insanity he switched back to ‘Potter.'

Harry laughed. "Nothing's wrong sir."

"Potter. I am loosing my patience. Will you please leave something here, so it looks like you actually live here," he barked out.

"But I don't," Harry said softly then quickly added to it, "Left something in the bathroom," he called out and ran towards the bathroom down the hall.

"POTTER! You don't what? Live here? What have you been doing here this past summer then? Leave it!" Snape yelled as Harry continued to rush to the bathroom to get what he had forgotten.

Harry froze and took a deep breath.

"Yeah I know I have been staying here this summer, but I figure once I leave Hogwarts this year I'll go back to the Dursley's. So I don't want to leave anything," he said in a hurried voice and dashed into the bathroom.

"Get back here!"

"In a second!" Harry grabbed the magazine and notebook he had forgotten beside the sink. Snape glared at him from the doorway, his arms folded, he had yet to change back to his robes, and was wearing the black sweater and dress pants Harry had seen him in for most of the summer.

"Now, Harry! We need to have a conversation." Snape replied with an irritated tone.

"I thought you didn't want to be late," Harry pointed out stuffing both the notebook and magazine into his messenger bag. Galahad opened one eye and stretched his back arching before he settled back down, but not before he mewed, seemingly in agreement with Snape.

"Harry, I signed the guardian papers. I am officially your Guardian now, there for you are my sole responsibility. You will not be going back to the Dursley's ever again, or the Weasley's for that matter without my approval," Snape said, putting empathies on the word approval.

Harry opened and closed his mouth a couple of times fiddling with his new scar.

"Your point?" he said in a gruff voice.

"My point is you don't need to lug all your stuff to school and back, you can leave things here. The things you don't use at school. I can't promise to come back and get something if you leave something you need. But if I need to I will try, or we will buy it."

Snape understood that the boy hadn't actually ever had a stable home, and he intended to provide one, a structured one with lots of rules. It was what the boy needed.

"Okay I'll leave a few things here. Meet you downstairs." Harry didn't plan on leaving anything expect maybe a change of clothes.

"Potter, I don't think so. Leave the past years school books. If you need them you can borrow the ones in my room. Leave the books you don't need to read and leave the clothes you won't wear. Leave anything you never use at Hogwarts." Snape rolled his eyes upwards, sometime one needed to spell out in simple clear instructions to the boy to get their point across.

Harry blinked and shifted. How the heck was he supposed to know what he didn't need?

"Um...books from last year okay!" He could do that, but he might have a use for other stuff, he thought.

"Potter, move it," Snape snapped out. The boy took forever.

"Yes sir!" Harry dashed back to the room grabbing the texts he had from the previous year shoving them on to the shelves in the room then turned to Snape. "Ready."

"You are not done unpacking yet! Stop this insane attitude right now! Disimballi le cose non necessarie!" Snape growled and watched as several items left Harry's trunk. "There let's go."

"But I am...I might need the rest of the stuff at Hogwarts!" Harry protested.

"Highly unlikely. Let's go! Now," Snape said, walking out the door with Harry's trunk levitating behind them...

Harry sat alone in the train compartment, his book on healing out. He had managed to get a compartment alone, though all the students hadn't boarded yet. He saw Ron getting on but the red head had sent him a rather nasty glare before turning and grabbing a different compartment. Sighing Harry went back to amusing himself with reading; it wasn't like the book wasn't interesting it just felt strange and unsettling to not be sitting with Ron and Hermione on the train back to Hogwarts. In a way his friends were what made Hogwarts seem like home. And without them...he sighed again closing the book and stared out the window. He didn't even turn when the compartment door slid open.

"Potter." Snape's voice snapped, calling his attention over to the man. Turning Harry met the black eyes that stared at him.

"Have you taken your potion today?"

Harry blinked, potion, what potion?

"Sir what potion?"

"For your knee!"

He had a potion he took for his knee?

"What about my knee, I haven't done anything with it in weeks!" Harry said confused. Snape shook his head.

"Yes, that's why you should stay on top of your potion. You know the ones I gave you to keep inflammation down," Snape said in his ‘Potter you are a brainless idiot' tone.

"Um...," Harry said looking away.

"Potter!"

"Yes sir!" Harry answered quickly. Snape was already in a bad mood, and probably because he had to ride the train back to Hogwarts...not like Harry forced him to or anything.

"Take that potion," Snape growled.

Harry mumbled a response under his breath.

"What was that? I can't hear you," Snape hissed.

"I kind of forgot about it sir," Harry replied honestly.

Snape swore softly and dug around in his robe and pulled out a potion vial. He held it out towards Harry.

"Here. Good thing I always carry an extra on me," the potions master said.

In Harry's opinion Snape could very well be a walking potions store. He made a face, at least in Gryffindor dorms Snape couldn't force a potion on him, or even tell if he didn't take one. Downing it he handed the empty vial back to Snape. "Happy now?"

"No. I'm never happy. You will come to my rooms' everyday after Potions. On the days you don't have potions you will come see me in your free time so I can monitor your in-take of the potion. Unless, you'd prefer to go back to being in bed all the time," Snape said with a raised eyebrow.

Harry gaped at Snape.

"You're joking!" Snape could not possibly be serious.

Snape stared at him, his face a mask of no emotion.

"Do I look like I am joking? Have I ever joked Potter?"

"But...why can't I just take it on my own," Harry asked.

Snape gave him a piercing look. "You want me to believe you'd take it on your own?"

Harry looked away.

"Yes..." So I can just dump it out in the sink and give you back an empty vial, Harry added in his head.

"Humph. But you just told me you had forgotten all about it. How long has it actually been since you took some?"

"Um...when I woke up after going to the Dursley's," Harry said again being honest.

Snape stared at him.

"What?!" Snape snapped at Harry, then held up a hand, "Never mind. I will leave it be for now, I will see you in class tomorrow," He said in a strained voice.

Harry was sure that had they been back at the house he would be getting a very large lecture. Harry froze as something popped into his head.

"Sir," he called out before Snape managed to leave, the man turned and gave him a good glare. Resisting the urge to shudder Harry plowed on.

"Have you heard anything about my Uncle, Aunt and Cousin, how they are?" he asked in a concerned voice.

"Potter, we will have that conversation another time. Now leave it be... before I escort you to the Great Hall personally!"

"But...ugh...," Harry said rolling his eyes. Adults were impossible!

"But nothing," Snape sneered. He had enough of this childish nonsense. Snape quickly left the room before Harry could further argue.

Harry glared at the spot then slumped into his seat. Galahad mewed pitifully from the crate Harry had placed him in, but he couldn't chance taking him out, as Galahad had already tried to run off to investigate the new surroundings.

"Hi Harry."

Harry turned and smiled as Hermione walked into the compartment sitting down across from him. She rolled her eyes.

"Ron is being so ridiculous," she said and Harry laughed.

"He'll come around eventually, he just needs some space. I wonder what he is going to do when he learns Snape's my official permanent guardian," Harry groaned.

Hermione winced. "He is? How is he going to handle what normally happens during the school year? I mean you getting into all that trouble."

Harry shrugged. "Probably act like he has always done. Most he'll do is give me detention left and right. A few hours of cleaning the dungeons are nothing really. How'd you do on you're O.W.L's?"

"I got all O's expect for Potions, which I got an E but at least I can still go onto N.E.W.T level of Potions, for some reason Snape is still letting me." Hermione's voice held a hint of disgust. She was obviously less than pleased with what her potions was. "What about you?"

Harry shrugged; Snape had actually said Harry had proved he had a brain when the owl arrived with his results. Though his fifth year had been a blur Harry had managed to actually receive an O in every single subject; Including Potions.

"Harry," Hermione pressed.

Harry shrugged. "I did well enough," he said.

Hermione folded her arms. "Harry...tell me what happened this summer."

Harry turned and looked her in the eye. "It's a long story," he said as the train lurched into a start.

Hermione smiled holding up her hands. "It's a long ride...spill the details Harry," she said smiling more.

Harry grinned relaxing. "As long as you're sure, I have a feeling by the time I finish you'll either want to scream at me, or lecture me."

Hermione raised an eyebrow grinning as well. "We'll see!"

Harry dodged Hermione's swipe at his head, she had been teasing him ever since he told her about his summer. Surprisingly she actually seemed to like the idea that Snape was his guardian. It was odd; considering he wasn't even sure he liked the idea! They continued to walk up the stairs to the great hall trailing behind the other students. Draco waved at them from up ahead, Harry waved back.

"Catch you tomorrow Har," he said and actually gave a semi-respectful nod to Hermione. She turned and gave Harry an amused look.

"Did Draco just actually try to be nice to me?"

Harry snorted. "He said he will try and tolerate you but Ron's another story," he explained as they sat down and Neville turned to smile at Harry.

"Hi," Neville said brightly.

Harry grinned at him. "How's it going?" He then glanced up at the head table towards Snape. He was going to get answers out of him, Harry thought practically glaring at him. He blinked as Neville began to chatter to him, Seamus joining in and soon he was too engrossed with his friends to see Charlie Weasley elbow Snape.

"So how are you going to handle the school year Severus?" Charlie said not being able to resist rubbing it in that they were now colleagues. Snape gave Charlie a cold look, which had Charlie shivering slightly but the red head shrugged it off.

"So did you hear who the new DADA teacher is?" He asked looking down at his plate. He watched as the first years slowly came into the Great Hall, he knew exactly who the teacher was going to be, and he couldn't wait to see Snape's reaction.

"No," Snape said, I was to busy keeping an eye on Potter to deal with Hogwarts newest teachers.

"I hear the Professor is very...energetic and enthusiastic, and should be able to get the students to get a long as well as work together in class," Charlie added as the students were being sorted.

Snape nodded, not like he actually gave a damn about who the new DADA teacher was. He was going to have his hands full enough. Finally Dumbledore stood as the last of the new students sat down and cleared his throat.

"First of all I would like to welcome back out old students and welcome our first years. There are a few rules this year, as always the Forest is off-limits, as is the Quidditch pitch, unless you are in class, or on a team. Also if any student is caught with one of the Weasley's wizard's pranks they will be given detention. We have two new teachers this year, as Hagrid is off doing official business Charlie Weasley will be taking over Care of Magical Creatures. We also have a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher though it looks like she will be joining us later..." Dumbledore said, but the doors to the Great Hall opened loudly. A woman with silver hair with bright pink streaks strolled in.

"Cri!?" Harry said in shock as she blasted him a grin. She wore a green leather corset with a green leather skirt, and fake green dragon hide boots. The cloak she wore was midnight black and flowed behind her as she made her way to the head table. Snape gaped...oh Merlin he was going to have to kill someone, he thought as Cri finally stood in front of Dumbledore who beamed at her.

"Ah here is our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Professor Sacrifice Donalie. Why don't you have a seat m'dear," Dumbledore said as the tables filled with food. Harry stifled his laughter as Cri actually jumped the table to sit beside Snape and Charlie.

"She was at your party too Harry, who the heck is she," Neville asked.

Harry felt all eyes turn to him.

"She's a tattoo artist wizard in Diagon Alley, but as Fred and George put it, she is also a badass wizard. She knows every Dark Arts spell, though she refuses to perform them, and also every defense spell."

"What's with the green and silver?" Ron piped in but he said it without looking at Harry.

"She was in Slytherin when she went to Hogwarts. From the way Snape acts around her, it's safe to say she drove him nuts." Harry said as Snape did in fact reach around Charlie to smack Cri on the back of the head.

"Wonderful, another Slytherin teacher," Ginny moaned.

Harry rolled his eyes; he really was getting sick of the house feud. "She was also best friends with Charlie Weasley," He added Ron blinked at him.

"He never said anything about a Sacrifice," Ron sniffed.

"That's because she likes to be called Cri."

"Cri's a Slytherin!" Both Ginny and Ron shouted.

"That I am young Weasley's. Hello Phoenix." A voice said from behind Harry, he turned and flashed Cri a grin.

"You never mentioned it once, that you were going to be teaching at Hogwarts," he accused and Cri ruffled his hair, giving his earring a quick tug.

"Ah but Phoenix that is because I didn't know I was until this morning," she glanced back at the head table and gave an annoyed sigh.

"I suppose I should head back up there but first...you must be Hermione," she said and Hermione nodded.

"Yes..." Hermione said slowly.

"Keep an eye on Phoenix for me," she winked.

Hermione frowned. "Why do you keep calling Harry Phoenix?"

"When you get back to your common room ask him to show you his back that will explain it all I think," she said as she wandered back to the head table. Hermione glared at Harry.

"I might've left out one small detail when I was telling you about my summer."

"Humph." Hermione said folding her arms glaring at him even more. The rest of the meal was pretty dull; stories were swapped while most devoured the sweets. Harry watched as the food vanished and Hermione stood.

"I have to lead the first years to Gryffindor tower; I will deal with you after that Harry James Potter." She tilted her head up and began calling for the Gryffindor first years. Harry turned to Neville.

"Hey I'll catch up to you later I want to talk to someone," he said and took off towards where he saw Snape slipping from the Great Hall.

"Professor, I want to know now, what happened to my relatives," He called out catching up to Snape.

Snape spun around looking less than pleased with Harry.

"Potter! Get to your common room! You probably don't even know the password to get in!" he ordered.

"I want to know...now!" Harry growled.

"No, Harry," Snape said curbing his annoyance and trying to actually have some patience with him, "we will discuss it another day. It's been a long day; go be with your housemates." Harry glared mutinously at Snape the look in his eyes saying quite clearly he had no intention of doing so. Snape pointed his finger in the direction of the Gryffindor common room. "Potter, don't try it right now. So help me, I will put you in my room for the year and make you do chores every night," Snape threatened. Harry folded his arms narrowing his eyes.

"McGonagall wouldn't let you," he countered smugly knowing the head of Gryffindor House didn't like Snape in the least.

"She has no say over this. I am your guardian. Accept that fact. I will tell you, just not now. Why do you always want to know answers as soon as you think of the question?"

"Because you never know when someone is going to actually be alive to answer your questions..." Harry said softly.

"Harry, I will give you an update once I find out. I do not know right this moment. We will see each other through out the week, don't worry. Just go to your common room with you're friends."

Harry gave Snape one last glare. "Don't you mean friend? Because Mione is about the only one I have now, can't afford to have too many you know," Harry snarled and spun around angrily.

"Not now. Potter just relax and hang out in your common room. Now go!"

Harry gave Snape a dirty look before he walked off. "Jerk..." he said rather loudly and disappeared from sight. Snape just stared at Harry for a moment pondering whether or not he should respond. He finally shook his head and let it go. He did not want Harry to stay and argue with him anymore, even if he knew Snape didn't know anything he would argue for him to find out that minute. He had other things to do, like kill Cri.

"Well that went well," Cri commented stepping out from the Shadows, again Snape cursed himself for training the girl.

"Well, well look who it is. Miss Sacrifice, how did you manage to become the new Defense against the Dark Arts professor?"

"Dumbles begged me...quite literally too." Cri said circling Snape. Snape raised an eyebrow and sneered circling her as well.

"Begged did he? Did he get on his hands and knees? If not spare me the begging details."

"Let's see....he was very impressed with my ability to sense the wards around your house, and he knows my history, he didn't get on his hands and knees but from ‘the bottom of his heart' he asked me to teach. So here I am." She said stopping and holding up her hands.

"Oh yes, the bottom of his heart. And you simply said "Yes sir I would love to. I just love teaching"." Snape sneered.

"Actually I asked him to give me one good reason." Cri looked into Snape's eyes. "He gave it to me...for the students."

"The students huh? You're just going to let him walk all over you then?" He remembered quite well that a young Cri never got along well with Dumbledore.

"Snape...he told me what the last DADA teacher did to her students," she said softly.

"Oh what did he tell you?" Snape said pausing and folding his arms.

"Did you know that Harry is scarred with ‘I will not tell lies' on his right hand?"

Snape froze narrowing his eyes. "What! He better not be...and if he is then why didn't Dumbledore tell me this?" Oh Dumbledore was getting into more and more trouble.

"Harry has an illusion on it. And Dumbledore probably didn't feel it was important to do so." She pointed out.

"Humph! Everything about that boy is important! What else did she do that I might not know about?" he demanded.

"Dumbledore isn't sure, he only knows about Harry's hand because he taught him the concealment spell." She answered.

"He did what! And he's not sure? Snape growled.

Cri raised an eyebrow this time. "A little upset?"

"No not at all. My charge has a scar on his hand saying ‘I will not tell lies' probably by a Blood Quill unless she actually carved it into him. And Dumbledore's not sure what else happened!" Snape raged.

"Blood Quill, in detention. And well...you know how closed off Harry gets."

"That is not the point. The point is Dumbledore knew about it, and once he became my charge he should have told me! Not to mention it put my students in danger along with the rest of the School," he said.

Cri nodded. "I know about one other Gryffindor who had it done to him and I know there were others from the other three houses."

Snape rubbed a temple.

"Fine, then at least teach the students some real defense and don't do anything foolish, you are not a student anymore. You are a Professor!" He already had one child to worry about he did not want to have to also worry that Cri would get into the same trouble she had as a student.

"Harry was already doing that last year, during secret meetings. He taught himself, and then he taught everyone else," Cri said with a shrug.

"Continue where he left off, and if I'm not mistaken it wasn't all the students. He doesn't have your training. Don't train them as good as you; just give them the knowledge to learn to be good at defense. They're going to need it." He pointed out though there was a hint of disappointment at the fact they were in times where they did need it so badly.

"That's what I was planning. Snape are you going to do anything about Harry?" She asked.

"What do you mean Cri?" Snape asked tiredly.

"I heard that he tends to wander the halls at night if he can't sleep, and believe me I've already heard the stories of the trouble he's gotten into." Cri said as Snape sneered.

"Don't worry I will keep him in check. No more adventures for Harry Potter." Snape said in a stern voice.

Cri laughed. "I doubt that he'll like that idea much."

"Of course not, but I am now his guardian. He will just have to accept it. There is no going back."

Cri laughed brightly.

"One big happy family," She declared.

Snape sneered and started to walk away, how the idiot ended up in his house he still did not know.

"Yes of course goodnight then," he grouched.

"Snape...," Cri called out hesitantly. Snape paused, he knew that tone of voice, and it had him turning back to face her.

"Yes?"

"Be careful...with Harry...he's worse than I ever was," she said frowning. Snape frowned as well. Cri never admitted that her time at Hogwarts was painful or that she was a tormented child. She just hid it all behind an over cheerful grin, for her to admit that she was meant she was being dead serious.

"Thanks Cri. Don't worry you came out fine...I think," Snape said gruffly as if the words were choking him to say.

Cri grinned and tugged on a strand of her hair. "Says you who were mad at how many tattoos I have!"

"Yes well...let's not go there. Go to bed, it's getting late you know." He said.

"Get some rest yourself, tomorrow starts the day where you must teach and keep track of a troublemaker." She said jokingly.

"Nothing new, same old same old, every year, the nightmare that I live," He said in a false weary voice.

Cri laughed and waved a hand. "Goodnight Professor."She said and bounded off.

Snape shuttered, his life was going to hell and very quickly, having to teach with someone as...perky as her. He nearly gagged as he headed to his room. He knew Harry would be fuming but also knew the boy would cool down quickly because he knew he didn't have the answer yet. But, he thought as he de-charmed his door and walked through it, he was going to have a nice chat with Harry about this new information. Why on earth hadn't the boy told anyone! Shaking his head he made his plan with just how he was going to get the boy alone to talk with...

Harry sighed as he headed for the tower and was surprised to see Hermione waiting outside for him.

"You don't know the password yet," she said and he nodded.

"So did Ron yell at you for talking to me yet," he asked as she said ‘Earwigs' and the portrait swung open.

"Give him time Harry; you know he always gets emotional. Once he cools down then it'll be okay."

Harry nodded. "Believe me I can't wait till he does. I wish he wouldn't act like this, it's not like I'm replacing him, he is still my best friend. When he's behind me I know I don't have to watch my back," Harry said sadly. Hermione nodded and they entered the common room, it was empty, everyone else was already asleep.

"So what was Professor Donalie talking about Harry?"

Harry smirked and took off his robe, then he pulled his shirt off his head and turned around.

"Harry James Potter is that a tattoo," Hermione hissed quietly.

Harry grinned. "Yep," he said with pride.

"But how did..." she began but Harry could almost see the wheels in her head turning. "She did that." She finally said and Harry nodded.

"Yes, Fred and George got it for my birthday, of course Snape was spitting mad when he found out about it, and the earring, well at that time I had gotten it in my nose, but Cri switched it when I was recovering from the battle at the Dursley's." He pulled his shirt back on as Hermione shook her head and stared at Harry's face.

"It's odd, not a single person has asked you about that new scar," she pointed out.

Harry shrugged.

"I think everyone is used to me getting into so much trouble so they can kind of shrug it off." He explained and smirked when Hermione yawned. "Go to bed Mione, I'll see you in the morning." Hermione smiled and nodded. Harry watched her leave. After a few minutes he settled back in the sofa staring into the flames. He fought the urge and memories that flooded him. Last year he was able to firecall Sirius. He closed his eyes.

"Mew!" He opened one eye to see Galahad trying to jump on his lap. His lips twitched and he scooped him up setting him on the couch beside him. Galahad purred loudly and nuzzled him.

STOPED HERE

"I want to go see Hedwig," Harry mused, but he remembered that Snape, curse him, still had his cloak. He felt his eyes drift slowly shut, he could hear the fire and felt Galahad purring now in his lap. He let his eyes close all the way.

"...arry!" a voice called waking Harry up fully, he jumped and saw Hermione glaring at him.

"Harry, you already slept through breakfast! And you are going to be late to your first class of Potions if you don't get up now and get dressed!"

Harry leapt, dumping poor Galahad on the floor. Who of course hissed at Harry and crawled under the couch to have a nice safe nap. Harry ran up the stairs and threw off his shirt and grabbed an unwrinkled robe (thanking Merlin for house elves as they put away his clothes, he was going to have to find out which did so he could thank it) and then grabbed a shirt throwing it on and pulling his robe on he ran down the stairs. He froze and ran back up the stairs grabbing his Potions text and several quills; he fully intended to scribble in his book this year so he wouldn't loose his notes like last year. He ran back down and smiled at Hermione who gave him an aggravated look.

"I swear Harry you never change; you're almost as bad as Ron! And what are you going to tell Snape if he finds out you skipped breakfast?"

"That I ate it in the common room." Harry flashed her his most charming grin.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Save that for someone who hasn't known you to wolf down an entire pizza on your own Harry," she said grinning as they headed for the dungeons.

"Aww but I'm positive you're getting me mixed up with Ron," he said and raised an eyebrow as Neville walked over to join them.

"I think Professor Snape made a mistake...I got into his NEWT level Potions," he stammered.

Harry slung an arm around his shoulders. For some strange reason he was extremely relaxed. "Don't worry about it Neville, partner with me. I studied Potions a lot this summer, I had the snake as a tutor. He drilled into my brains the art of making stinky and disgusting tasting potions. We'll do fine!"

"Harry, are you drunk?" Hermione demanded as they walked into the classroom. Harry gave her a fake hurt look. This...this was where home was he thought as he threw down his book and grabbed Hermione's dashing to the other side of the room. She chased him shrieking at him to give it back to her. He laughed as he held it above her head spinning around the room as the rest of the class filled in.

"Harry Potter, give me back my book," she demanded and it would've sounded harsh had she not been holding back laughter.

Harry grinned from ear to ear not noticing Snape walk into the room and begin to watch his antics. He gave Harry another minute and nodded to himself. He was right to allow Granger and Longbottom into the class. Even though Longbottom didn't appear to know much, he actually did excellent on his OWL's. The boy had a chance if he could get past his memory issue. He cleared his throat.

"Potter! Give Granger back her book, and detention with me tonight at seven!"

Harry froze and gave Snape a completely disrespectful look. Snape gave Harry a cold look that had the teen hurrying to his seat.

"As you all know this is a N.E.W.T level potions class. Which means, I expect no fooling around, as Potter already demonstrated for us. Also if you mess even a single potion up you may get up and leave this class never to return. I will not teach a group of empty headed fools," he bellowed.

Harry rolled his eyes; at least it wasn't the same speech as first year.

"Open your books to page 1337 we will begin with a truth serum potion," he snapped as the correct ingredients appeared before them.

Harry shivered, he still remembered the time Snape threatened him with it in third year. He watched as Neville stumbled to flip to the correct page, Harry flicked out his wand and the pages flipped to the right one.

"Thanks Harry," Neville mumbled.

Harry began to arrange the ingredients in correct order. Surprisingly Snape had chosen one of the potions he had studied over the summer. He felt eyes on him and turned to stare at Snape. Why the heck did he have that shocked look on his face? He lit the fire effortlessly and began to add the first ingredients. Okay so maybe he hadn't been so at ease when Snape dragged him to the basement to brew potions, but he knew this one like the back of his hand. Sighing he turned and began to explain how to properly brew it to Neville. He really hoped Snape would stop watching him; it wasn't like he was going to blow up the cauldron!

"Potter come up here!"

Harry sighed.

"Keep stirring it, it'll be fine on its own for another five minutes," he said and walked over to Snape.

The Potions Master folded his arms. "How is it you have yet to glance at your book once?" he asked.

Harry shrugged. "You know I read a lot this summer, this is one of the potions I remember. The later steps I will have to check but I do know the early ones," Harry said politely before he remembered he was supposed to be mad. He gave a shrug and headed back to his seat without permission. Now he was getting questioned for actually knowing what he was doing, what was up with that he thought. The rest of the class went smoothly, everyone managed not to blow up a cauldron. Though there were a few close calls. Harry carefully bottled the entire potion and grabbed his books with a mumbled ‘Going to Great Hall' for his friends. He didn't want to get cornered by Snape again. A few minutes later he had settled himself at an empty table and spread out quills and parchment and opened his potions text to do the essay Snape had assigned for the next class. He ignored the food that appeared on the table beside him and got to work. He wanted to get it done and over with early so he could fit in some flying time, besides Galahad would be demanding lots of attention for Harry kicking him off his lap. He smiled as he flipped through the book looking for correct information.

"Harry Potter is doing homework early?" Draco's voice called out.

Harry turned and flashed Draco a smirk.

"You're point?" he asked.

"You do realize you should be eating now right," Draco asked sitting down next to him.

Harry snorted. "I'm getting this done early, I know I'll have other classes that give out homework, and I do not want to waste my time with it later. Besides...next class is Cri's," he pointed out. He was looking forward to seeing how that went. Draco rolled his eyes and moved to shut Harry's book. Harry hissed and slapped his hands away. Draco rolled his eyes.

"You're mental, you know that right Potter?"

Harry laughed. "Go back and play with your fellow little Snakes Draco and let me do my essay."

Draco snorted. "Of course, I swear you might be a Ravenclaw instead of Slytherin or Gryffindor," he declared and left Harry to his work.

Harry shook his head, he wasn't surprised Draco was still attempting to keep an eye on him. The blonde had seemed to take a liking to him, and he also seemed to be trying to get the rest of the Slytherins to lay off Harry as well. Harry glanced at his watch; it was still too early to head to class. Sighing he went back to work.

Several hours later, he headed for the Defense Against Dark Arts classroom, and he only had to prank several other classmates to leave him in peace so he could finish his assignment. He snickered as he walked into the classroom, where Draco promptly flipped him off, as he had again tried again to nag Harry into stopping his work and eating, with no success. The Blonde now had a pleasant shade of Purple for his hair. Hermione shook her head as Harry deposited himself beside her.

"Harry, that wasn't very mature of you! What is with you today," she demanded.

Harry shrugged and nearly groaned when Ron stood up to go sit near Dean and Seamus.

"Does he really have to keep this up," he whined.

Hermione rolled her eyes heavenward. "Men." She said exasperated with the whole gender.

The entire class jumped when text books literally fell onto the tables in front of them.

"Hello my little playthings!" Cri's voice rang out as she walked into the room. She wore a lavender skirt, with a peasant top a light shade of green, the same robe she had been wearing the night before was draped over an arm. Which she shrugged into then spun around, her hair was actually down as she faced them. "Alright open your books," she declared and gestured for them to randomly open to a page. Hermione's hand shot into the air.

"Professor, there must be some mistake. The pages in this book are blank," she called out.

Cri clapped her hands together.

"Wonderful discovery. Now can anyone tell me why they are blank?" She grinned even more when all she got was a look of confusion form the annoyed 16 year olds. "No one? Draco, want to take a guess?"

If looks could kill Cri would be a dead woman.

Draco shook his head. "No professor."

Cri sighed and sat on top of her desk.

"Well then because it is very simple. You can learn a lot of things from books, theories, the words and incantations for spells, and history. But when you are in the middle of something that calls for what you are here to learn there is only one thing that will help you: experience. Now I know several of you already have a lot of it in this department well then that just means you can be one of my little helpers. And no faking you don't know it. Harry, Draco," she called out singling the two out. She gestured for them to stand up; both teens did groaning as they did so.

"I already know you know most of what I intend to teach from two different sides of the spectrum. So perhaps you two could work together and create a duel of sorts to show your talents," she said raising an eyebrow.

Harry and Draco exchanged looks. "We could arrange that." Draco said in a bored voice.

Cri smirked. "Consider it you're final then," she said and motioned for them to sit back down. "My job is not to teach you to recite a dozen spells at high speed, I will be happy if you remember a single spell and are able to do it perfectly." She then clapped her hands together. "Alright I want everyone on their feet, after all there is no time like the present!"

"She is so mental," Ron hissed loudly and most of the other students nodded.

Harry rolled his eyes. "She may be mental but you have got to admit she isn't boring!"

Cri turned and sent Harry a pout. "I am not mental! I am insanely brilliant, quite the difference there," she said and spun, vanishing her robes.

"She's got tattoos," one of the slower students called out and Cri glanced at her flamed arms.

"Why yes I do. Wands out everyone, because it's back to basics!"

"Oh my god! What does she think we are a bunch of first years?" Ron whined as they left the class. Cri had them all demonstrate basic first year defense spells and declared that they would spend the rest of the week perfecting them.

"Ron quit whining! It's good for her to be reviewing things," Harry snapped.

Ron turned and glared at him. "By the time she's done half the year will have gone by!"

"But at least you will be able to do those spells with your eyes closed and without hesitation," Harry snapped back.

"Harry...Ron..." Hermione said in a tired voice but was saved the trouble when Draco pushed through them.

"You promised me a game Potter," he sneered and grabbed Harry's arm and dragged him away from his housemates.

"Draco, what the hell!" Harry objected as he was dragged in the direction of the Slytherin common room.

"Shut up for once Harry, you were only digging deeper into an argument that was not going to end. And if it did it would've been you and Weasel throwing punches, because he would've gotten you to loose that temper of yours!" Draco stated and led Harry into the common room.

"Still...Mione was stopping us! You didn't have to stick your nose in!" he pointed out sitting down.

"No but Snape would've had my head if he knew I was around and did nothing to keep you out of trouble." Draco pointed out. "Speaking of Snape don't you have detention with him tonight?"

"You actually think I am going to go? That was so bogus! Class didn't even start when he stormed in declaring I had detention," Harry said rolling his eyes letting his books slide to the floor.

"Harry you know you're just asking for even more trouble right? Snape is you're guardian now you can't skip detention with him! He'll kill you or do worse, keep you in his sight constantly," he said as he got out a chess board.

"Draco this is Hogwarts not his house, there is very little he can do to me here," Harry said smugly. "So how shall I beat you today?"

"...keep talking Potter, I may do Snape a favor and hex you!" Draco threatened.

"You keep promising to do that! But you never follow through," Harry said laughing. Draco growled at him. The doors to the common room burst open with what appeared to be a very angry Snape.

"Potter! My office now! Move!"

Harry looked at him rolling his eyes.

"I am not going! I didn't even do anything wrong!"

"You were horsing around in class."

"I did not!" Harry growled, but he knew the look in Snape's eyes. "Fine...I'll go to your office." He said though the look in his eyes spelled trouble.

"Good." Snape said stiffly, his eyes equally held a look that spelled trouble. Harry nodded to Draco and followed Snape from the common room to his office.

"So what do you want me to do?" Harry growled bad temperedly.

"For you to knock off that temper of yours!" Snape commanded. When Harry only folded his arms and gave him a ‘so now what?' look he sighed.

"Sit down we need to talk."

Harry groaned and slumped down in the chair farthest from Snape's desk.

"Let me see your hand." Snape demanded once Harry was settled into the chair.

Harry blinked and then held up both hands.

"What about them?"

Snape raised an eyebrow and gestured for Harry to put them back down again.

"Hold up your writing hand." Harry shook his head rolling his eyes again and held it up slightly. "Abacavada,"Snape said quickly and watched as the spell surrounding it turned misty and left it. Harry quickly tried to shove his hand in his pocket but Snape reached out and gripped it tightly. "I will not tell lies..." he read out loud. "What's that about?"

Harry stared at him his face paling; he yanked his hand free and slid his sleeve over it. "Nothing."

"Don't give me that Harry. Tell me why you were writing "I will not tell lies" in detention with the toad."

Harry stared blankly. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh you don't? Should I fire call Umbridge to explain this then," he said with a raised eyebrow and nearly smirked when a panicked look came into Harry's eyes.

"She's in prison you can't firecall her!"

"Oh no? I will find a way."

Harry slumped back in his seat glaring at Snape. "What the fuck is the big deal," he swore, and from the look on Snape's face that was a very big mistake.

"Watch your mouth! I don't appreciate that tone, or that language! And the big deal is you went a whole year with detentions from her probably carving ‘I will not tell lies' into your skin and didn't tell anyone! Did you think of the other students who might have done the same thing, but knew you had detention all the time and figured if you could handle it so could they?!"

"That isn't true," Harry screamed.

"What isn't?" Snape demanded calmly.

Harry glared at him. "And it was for the stories that were being published about me; she said I was seeking attention by spreading lies."

"What isn't true Harry? And did you go to the paper and tell them to write anything in regards to you?"

"No." Harry snapped.

"What isn't true," Snape pressed. Harry seemed to be avoiding answering that one question. "And of course you didn't. Then how were you telling lies? Care to explain?"

"I don't know! She claimed I was so she had me sit down with a quill and write that over and over and over again on the desk...only it didn't show up on the desk..." Harry said looking away.

"Why didn't you tell someone?"

Harry shrugged.

Snape just continued to look at Harry. "Potter, do you think that any other student would have deserved the same treatment?" Snape questioned.

"No." Harry said without hesitation.

"And what happens if others did?"

"Guess it'll be my entire fault...as usual." Harry said tilting his chair back and staring at the ceiling.

"No. Not like always. However you should have said something. Why didn't you?"

"Because," he said still staring at the ceiling like it was fascinating

"That is not an answer. I am getting very tired of it as well. Now why on Earth would you not tell someone that Umbridge was using an illegal devise for detention?" He could not believe how stubborn Harry was being about this.

"Because at that time the school was already going to hell." Harry said in a tone that told Snape he was being a moron.

Snape was about to blow, he was so furious at Potter. "Fine, let's pretend that the school was ‘already going to hell'. Why did you not tell someone after? And why were you hiding it." That was what really bothered Snape, that no one; including Potter himself had even told him what had happened.

"Besides it would've made her happy if I went and whined about it." Harry added. Snape looked at Harry and wondered if everyone besides him would have actually been tactful with that information. Based on what he saw, probably.

"Potter, from now on if there is ever a teacher to endanger you, you are to come and tell me immediately. No if's, and's, or but's on this."

"Whatever." Harry said sulkily still content with the ceiling.

That did it.

"Look at me! Now!"

Harry groaned and slammed his chair back onto the floor and gave Snape a glare.

"What?"

"You will come to me if a teacher is abusing you ever again. No matter what teacher! Actually even if they aren't, but put you in danger in anyway. Do I make myself clear mister?"

"Shesh, yes! I don't see what the big deal is," Harry said thinking of the school his aunt and uncle had originally been planning on sending him before he got his Hogwarts letter. If Snape was having a field day about this he'd go over the top about that school.

"It is a big deal, no one has the right to abuse you or put you in harms way. Now I have a cream and potion that can heal your hand. It would've only required a simple swipe of the potion had you told someone as soon as it happened but now there is scar damage," Snape said in a businesslike manor.

"Whatever," Harry said again, he didn't add what he really thought, honestly what was one more scar? He was bound to have a dozen by the end of the school year.

"Not whatever, however that is enough for tonight," Snape began; Harry couldn't stand up quick enough.

"Potter, wait, one more thing we need to discuss. sit back down." Snape called out and Harry groaned stomping to the seat and sat back down glaring at Snape.

"What," he said nastily.

"Stop that attitude. Or I will," Snape said glaring right back. He was after all famous for his glares. "I will not have you skipping meals," Snape told him sternly while waving his wand; food appeared before the two of them. "Now eat! I know you missed breakfast and I know you didn't eat at lunch."

Harry stared at Snape. "I was doing homework at lunch time," he defended himself. "And I overslept for breakfast!"

"I don't care. If you oversleep say ‘food' and something light that you can eat on the go will appear. What homework could you possibly be doing that was so important? All of your summer work was done. That is not, and never will be an excuse. You will have all your homework done on time so you do not have to miss a meal," Snape said sternly.

"Um...I was working on the assignment you assigned us in class today."

"My assignment? That's due Wednesday or Friday? Neither should have stopped you from eating. And it is only Monday," Snape pointed out.

"I kind of...already finished it..." Harry said to the floor.

"That's irrelevant to eating. You had some time after lunch to finish it, as well as all of tomorrow."

"I wanted to use that time for something else!" Harry objected.

"I appreciate you trying and getting it done early however not if you food intake suffers for it. You need to eat. Or I will put you back in bed, until you learn to eat right," Snape said with a stern gaze that was not meant to be taken lightly.

"Snape...come on! I wanted to get it done early because I do have other homework and I wanted to go flying tomorrow after classes!"

"No flying! Not until you've had your potion regularly. And you're missing the point! You will not suffer your food intake," Snape said sneering.

"What do you mean no flying?" Harry said ignoring Snape's comment about, food, he liked food he just didn't always have time for it.

"I mean you will not fly until I know your knee is being cared for and that you will be able to use it in such a manor without injuring it again. Had you stayed on top of it, this would be a problem. And also so I know you will be heavy enough to even stay on a broom," Snape added taking in Harry's build.

Harry glared at Snape. "I am heavy enough for a broom, besides Quidditch practice starts on Wednesday!"

"Yes? Well keep skipping meals and you won't. I Do Not Care when Quidditch starts, I care about you injuring yourself!" he growled.

Harry stared at Snape. "...I am staying on the team regardless." He refused to miss yet another year.

"If I am certain your knee will hold up, I'll let you play, in two weeks. You don't exactly need the practice." Snape said.

"Two weeks! But we have practice and I do need the practice I've barely flown at all this summer!" Harry screeched.

"You do not!" Snape was beyond being upset, and he had no clue why they were having an argument. He set the rules end of story. "Potter enough! I have the final say; you will not play unless I deem it."

Harry stared at Snape his blood draining from his face. "But...you...can't..." he said in shock.

"I can and I am. Stop this nonsense. Would you like to stay in bed more? Would you like to be crippled for life?"

Harry glared at Snape. He was not going to keep Harry off the team. No way! "I am not staying in bed, I am not missing practice!"

"I am not making you stay in bed. I am asking you to take a potion regularly for two weeks, and then I will allow you to fly as long as your knee is fine and you are having no side affects, which you shouldn't. If you want to continue arguing over this, I will make it a month, and you will get nicely acquainted with a corner."

Harry slumped back in his seat. "This is so unfair," he wasn't technically arguing, just stating a fact.

"Enough. Now go to your common room, it's almost curfew."

Harry nodded his assent. So he couldn't practice with the team. He would just do it on his own...when Snape was teaching classes.

"Yes sir."

"Goodnight. My private chambers are two doors over. If you can't sleep and need a sleeping potion come to me."

"Oh of course sir, but don't worry I'll sleep just fine," and dream of strangling you Harry thought.

"Good. I don't want to hear of your wandering tonight or any other night. I will see you tomorrow before lunch," Snape said dismissing him.

"Yes for your potion," Snape said in a weary tone as if he was tired of repeating himself.

"Oh..." he had entirely once again forgotten about the potion. He gave Snape a nod and headed back to his common room. Snape glared after him and conjured a glass of whiskey. He never drank, but Merlin knew after that he needed one. And a long night of sleep.