Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
yes an update...*collapses* I am sorry for the delay but I am on my internship and working and going to school full time still so I have almost no time and I am exhausted.

WARNING: this is un beta'd because I don't have the time to do it.
Friendship....found

Harry turned over in his sleep. The two days trapped in Snape's rooms had passed quickly, especially when they were filled with discussions of what the DA was going to have to do. What it was going to stand for this year, they had to be more careful than before, they had to take care of each other. And soon...the first meeting was going to happen again. Harry groaned and opened his eyes sitting up. Why didn't he feel happy about that? All he could feel was tightening in his chest, wonder at which one of them was going to die at the end of the school year. Merlin...he wished Sirius was around to talk to...or that Remus was back at school. Both of which he knew he could...well both he could've confided in. Now all he had was Remus and he barely even got to talk to him, much less see him. He closed his eyes and laid back down. At least morning couldn't be that far away.

"...did you have another dream?" a voice asked hesitantly. Harry froze and opened his eyes turning his head he saw Ron was watching him. The redhead looked down at his hands.

"Not exactly...I'm starting the DA up again and..." he trailed off and sat up shaking his head. "...and I was just wondering which one of us is going to die this year." Ron stared at him and clenched his fist.

"Maybe no one will." He said softly.

"Ron every year since fourth year...well even our first year someone has died. So it kind of causes one to think..."

"Harry stop it. Instead of thinking who is going to die, think of a way to not have that person die!" he said. Then he looked away. "Sorry..." silence followed and Harry watched the redhead struggle with his emotions. It seemed he wasn't the only one suffering.

"For what Ron?" Harry said, he held his breath, please, he thought silently to whatever guardians of magic that might be listening, please let this be the end of this stupid fight! He missed his best friend desperately. Even though he now considered Draco a best friend, there are just some experiences that he shared with Ron that caused him to be...well just too simply need the hot headed redhead around.

"For...listen go back to sleep." Ron said laying back down he turned over. Harry sighed and closed his eyes.

"I'm sorry if my friendships hurt you, but no matter what you say or do to me, you're still my best friend Ron." Harry said laying back down himself. He thought he heard Ron sniffle but when he turned to look, the boy seemed to be fast asleep. He closed his eyes and muttered when Galahad jumped on his chest purring up a storm. "Get off damn cat..." he said tiredly.

"What kind of cat is that anyway?" Ron asked.

"No clue...Cri said he was going to grow really big so I guess we...I mean I am just going to have to wait and see." Harry said with a sigh as he felt Galahad walk down to curl up right next to his neck purring up a storm.

"..."

"Ron?"

"What?"

"Do you think you could try to get to know Malfoy? I mean, shouldn't we take every ally we can even if we have a bad history with a particular one. And as for Snape...he doesn't hit me. He feeds me, he puts clothes on my back and he even lectures me when I do stupid things...isn't that what parents do?"

"..."

Harry sighed and nuzzled the kitten closing his eyes he slowly began to relax.

"Aren't brothers entitled to have fights all the time?" Ron finally piped in. Harry's eyes flew open and he turned to see Ron smiling at him.

"You are going to have to learn to get a long with Draco and anyone else I hang around." He warned. Ron shrugged.

"Mate...you have no idea how much I missed you, Hermione has gone to the silent treatment with me until I took my head out of my arse she said. And she was right...Har...I'm sorry for what I said and did at Snape's house...friends?" Ron said hesitantly.

"All you had to do is ask. Friends..."

"Good now that the two of you finally made up maybe you can shut up and sleep!" Dean said from his bed causing them all to burst into laughter.

"I'm one for happy reunions but if you two talk any longer I'm going to hex you into a Potions class." Seamus said his voice muffled with his pillow.

"If you don't explode a cup first." Ron said snickering getting a pillow thrown at him. He threw it back and glanced at Harry. The teen had fallen asleep with a smile on his face, his body relaxed.

"You're going to have to keep your word to him Ron, or else you'll have to deal with us." Seamus and Dean said Ron rolled his eyes.

"Yeah yeah..." he said closing his own. He didn't want to admit...but he hadn't had a single night's decent sleep since his falling out with Harry. One more sign to show him that he was in the wrong....but Malfoy why'd it have to be Malfoy!

............................................................................................................

Harry pushed the food around his plate, he really didn't feel like eating, Snape had been practically forcing him to eat every time he seemed to move an inch in the Potion's masters rooms. It would be nice if he didn't have to eat just because someone else felt that he needed to.

"Harry eat." Ron said rolling his eyes and leaned over and dropped more bacon onto Harry's plate. Harry gaped at his best friend.

"Why the heck did you do that!" he shrieked, moving to remove the offending bacon from his plate but a hand from behind grabbed his own before he can.

"At least the Weasel is paying attention to you this year." Draco sneered, though his eyes shone with actual respect directed at Ron. Ron gestured for him to sit on the other side of Harry.

"Well at least I never tried to get him expelled." Ron snapped bad temperedly. He really didn't want to eat breakfast with Malfoy but after Draco had prevented Harry from removing the added bacon the dark haired teen grumpily began to actually eat while glaring daggers at the blonde.

"At least I didn't punch him on his-"

"Draco! Ronald! Stop that right now! I swear you guys are acting like two little kids!" Harry snarled and stabbed a piece of egg and shoved it into his mouth glaring at them both. Then a twinkle let his eyes, and a slow sly smile lit his face. After that he directed his entire attention on eating the food on his plate. Draco and Ron exchanged a worried look.

"Harry...you aren't...well you know plotting something are you?" Ron asked worriedly while Draco growled.

"Whatever it is you thought up, do not even dream it Potter."

"Me? Up to something? I'm hurt, right here in my heart that the both of you would even think to say I was up to something. I am never, ever up to something." Harry said innocently to his plate of food. He nearly choked on his food when he glanced up to see the identical weary looks on both of his friends faces.

"Potter..." Draco hissed and smirked as Snape walked over setting two potions vials in front of Harry.

"I expect you to drink both of these after you finish eating." Snape said in his usual gruff tone of voice.

"Ooo goody just what I wanted more Potions thanks Uncle Sevvy." Harry said rolling his eyes. He yelped as Snape wacked him slightly on the back of his head.

"What did I tell you about calling me that?" Snape said in the same choked voice he always got when Harry called him by that reference. Harry rubbed his head and turned grinning.

"Sorry...Un-I mean Professor Snape." He said smirking at Snape as the man made a hasty exit.

"You know if you keep pushing it, he'll have you cleaning cauldrons." Draco pointed out. Harry nodded then shrugged.

"I grow on people...like moss...or rather fungus...yeah a really horrible infective fungus...he hasn't a prayer to escape liking me." Harry said in a serious tone of voice. Draco groaned and smacked his forehead with one of his hands, while Ron snickered.

"Gryffindors..." The blonde said with thick disgust coating his voice.

"Hey you chose to come over here and sit down to eat. I didn't ask you to!" Harry protested. He pushed his now empty plate aside and moved to stand.

"Not so fast." Draco said smirking as he caught hold of Harry's arm. "Aren't forgetting something?"

"Oh yeah, Draco, Ron can you guys come with me I have to show you something!" He said smiling. Draco shook his head.

"Of course...after you drink your potions."

"Ugh come on Draco...I've had more potions between this summer, and this year so far than in my entire life." Harry whined. Ron winced in sympathy.

"Does he actually need those?" the redhead questioned. Draco pinned him with a cold look.

"If you saw how bad off he was when he got to Snape's house this summer you'd think Snape was going light only forcing him to drink two potions, and also he didn't wait around to make sure Harry took them." Draco pointed out. Harry jerked his arm but was yanked gently back down to the bench.

"That's because he knows you're going to be a nag and force me to." Harry pouted. Draco laughed and ruffled his hair. Not noticing the way Ron was staring at the two of them...in the other Gryffindor's eyes it was like they were acting like siblings...

"Yes...drink your potions like a good little boy now...or we could resort to the fun we had this summer...in front of everyone here in the Great Hall?" Draco said, though while he smiled there was no malice in his voice. Harry groaned.

"Ever since you did that, you always hold that over me." Harry pouted as he took the first vial and grimaced. Downing it he hissed and grabbed a hold of the glass of water that was still by his plate. He downed the entire glass in one gulp then snatched Ron's, downing the other potion he drained the second glass shuddering as he stood. "There I took them now can we please go!"

"Alright..." Draco said, He yelped as Harry grabbed one of his hands then grabbed Ron with his other.

"Right then off we go!" He declared his voice overly happy. Draco snorted.

"You know Harry that I can tell when you faking right?"

"Of course Dray and I can turn your hair blue and you face green." Harry warned. Ron glanced at the two of them.

"What are you talking about?" he asked as Draco coughed paling slightly under Harry's threat.

"Don't worry about it Weasel." He snapped.

"Don't call me that Malfoy!" Ron snarled. Harry groaned inwardly, he sincerely doubted his two friends would ever be able to agree on anything. Repressing a sigh he led them into an empty classroom releasing their hands in the center of the room. He had already brought in his healing and potions books to keep him busy; taking out his wand he aimed it at the door. With a silent locking spell he turned back to two very shocked teenagers.

"We are staying in here until the two of you work out you differences." Harry declared going over to his books and settling himself down opening his books.

"Harry!"

"Potter!"

"You cannot be serious!" Two voices protested in unison. Harry glanced up briefly.

"Actually I am entirely serious." Was the only reply they earned before Harry went back to reading. Draco glared at him, though he knew very well that once Harry made up his mind there was nothing he could do to change it. He glanced over at the redhead whose face was turning red.

"Harry..." he began there was venom in his voice, quickly Draco grabbed his arm and pulled him out of ear shot from Harry.

"Watch it Weasley you say one word...one word to put the sort of look on his face like you did on his birthday, and no one not even he will be able to protect you." Draco growled. Ron's eyes widened.

"Back off Malfoy at least I haven't been trying to get him expelled for years, and at least my father isn't a Death Eater!" Ron shouted.

"Ronald!" Harry shouted his eyes blazing. "Draco! The two of you are going to stop that because I swear if I have to hex the two of you to get along, I will. I'm willing to do anything..." He hissed. The room fell into silence as Harry stared at the two of them, finally Draco sighed; he could tell this wasn't going to work out...not at least in the manner he really wanted...Weasley on his hands and knees begging Harry to forgive him for hurting him while he was able to smirk knowingly at him. But that would hurt Harry, he mused meeting emerald eyes that were already strained...and Harry had enough on his shoulders. Ron hissed.

"Harry I said I'd try! But how can you honestly expect me to be a friend with a Slytherin!"

"Ron..." Harry said quietly, "I was supposed to be in Slytherin...but I tricked the sorting hat into putting me into Gryffindor." Ron was silent staring at his best friend in shock. Harry closed his eyes and for the first time said the words that had been on his mind for several years. "Sometimes I wish I was in that house...at least then...it would have meant you and Hermione wouldn't be in danger all the time...Draco be silent." He commanded when the blonde opened his mouth to argue. He shut it with an audible snap. Harry looked back to Ron. The redhead was pale.

"Harry..." he began with a hoarse voice but Harry held up a hand, flicking his wand his books neatly piled themselves up, he took them into his arms.

"Ron don't...I'm sorry that I thought for one minute...that you two might be able to set aside your differences...I was obviously wrong." He said wearily. "I'll see you both in class, and in the DA meeting tonight." He turned to leave but Draco's voice stopped him.

"Don't take one more step Potter I am warning you." Draco said softly then he turned to Ron. "Did your brothers tell you what Harry did this summer?" he demanded.

"No..."

"He was beaten within an inch of his life by his uncle. Got roped into staying at Snape's house, and Snape brought me in so that someone could be with Harry and try to keep him from walking. Oh yes, his knee was shattered, I wouldn't be surprised even with it healed, if Snape doesn't let him play Quidditch at all this year."

"Not play..." Ron fumbled with the words but the blonde plowed on.

"And that is all before he decided after getting a vision that those...those...muggles of his were in danger, so he took off on a broom, going into what he knew to be a trap without getting help from anyone. He took cutting curses to his face, didn't you wonder why he suddenly has more scars? All the while he blames himself for any and every death or injury that that freaking snake causes! Did you know all of that Ronald because if you acted the way you did and have been doing with knowing that...then your worse than the Dark Lord himself." Draco said finally finishing. Ron turned and stared at Harry a look slowly coming into his eyes.

"You got into that much trouble this summer?"

"I didn't-" Harry defended himself but was cut off.

"Yes he did." Draco snapped folding his arms glaring at the redhead. Harry shook his head.

"Ron, he makes it sound worse than it actually is. I did get into a few scrapes but nothing like he is talking about, well yes but he's making it sound worse than it was." Harry said weakly. Ron looked thoughtfully from his best friend to Draco and then back again.

"Oh yes worse than it is, when you were unconscious for how long after you went off to fight Death Eaters on your own? After you hexed me of course." The blonde snorted. Ron took a deep breath.

"He isn't making it up is he?"

"...No he isn't." Harry said truthfully walking towards the door again.

"Well I think it's going to take the two of us to actually keep a proper eye on him." Ron said a slow smile spreading across his face. Draco grinned back at him as Harry spun around a shocked look on his face.

"I didn't say work aside your hate so you two could go and gang up on me!" He protested and found himself actually backing up a step as his two friends advanced on him.

"You're just going to have to take what you can get aren't you Harry." Draco said grinning even more. Harry sighed then smiled.

"Alright...but don't think I'm actually going to let the two of you push me around." He warned. Ron threw an arm across his shoulders pulling Harry into a half hug much like his older brothers did.

"Har, mate...what makes you think you even stand a chance against the two of us to begin with?"

"I survived Snape this summer didn't I?" Harry pointed out. Ron burst into laughter.

"Alright you have a good point there." He admitted.

"Potter I think the term is more like Snape survived you this summer."Draco pointed out.

"Yeah go figure, yet he is still wanting to be my guardian." Harry said shaking his head sadly. Draco smirked and grabbed Harry's head ruffling his hair till it was messy.

"This Halloween Potter we are having Cri hook you up with a hair stylist because you're hair is a disaster almost as bad as the clothes you had this summer." Draco said shuddering. Harry shivered.

"Please for the love of Potions and all the pranks in the world don't do that to me!" Harry begged. Ron snickered and froze when Draco raised his eyes to him as well.

"And don't laugh Weasley your next." He threatened. Ron sobered.

"Sorry but..." Ron began swallowing nervously.

"Consider it my truce present." Draco said. Ron paled and turned to Harry.

"Har...he isn't serious is he?" he asked in a horrified voice. Harry burst into laughter.

"Welcome to my world..." He said.

Chapter End Notes:
Next chapter: First DA meeting and the identity of the voice in Harry's head and dreams is revealed