Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
DISCLAIMER: JKR owns all.
Chapter 3 - The Minister's Visit

Dumbledore immediately sprang into action.

"Minerva, please go down and bring the Minister to my office. Do not be too hasty though, I need a little time.

With the Deputy Headmistress gone, Dumbledore went to the fire and immediately called Harry in Gryffindor tower.

In moments, Harry and Hermione were in his office. It was the first day of the school holidays and Ron had gone home to see Charlie, who was on a short visit from Rumania.

"What can we do for you, sir?" Harry asked. He could tell something was very wrong.

"Harry, I need you and Miss Granger to watch Severus for me. The Minister, Rufus Scrimgeour, has discovered what transpired here and I am unsure as to what he intends to do".

"Yes, sir," the both responded quickly.

"Thank you," smiled the Headmaster, "Severus is sleeping at the moment. It may be necessary for you to bring him to my office at some point although I will try my best to avoid that. In the meantime, stay here".

Albus walked back into his office just as the stone gargoyle at the bottom of the stairs sprang aside. This gave him a few minutes to compose himself and soon his was wearing his look of all knowing serenity.

Professor McGonagall entered with Minister Scrimgeour and to Dumbledore's slight amusement, the Auror, Dawlish.

"Good afternoon, Minister, Dawlish," he smiled benignly, "To what do I owe this pleasure?"

"Dispense with the chit chat, Dumbledore," Scrimgeour barked, "You know why we're here".

"Chit chat? Why, those were manners, Rufus," Dumbledore's eyes twinkled. Rufus looked annoyed.

"I heard what happened to Snape," he glared at the Headmaster, "Where is he?"

"I am sure you know the answer to that question," Dumbledore replied calmly, "Otherwise you would not be here".

"Who is caring for him, you?" the Minister let out a laugh which sounded more like a growl.

"Why, yes, Rufus. I am," the Headmaster confirmed.

"Why is he not in the spell damage ward in St Mungo's?" Rufus looked like he could not believe his ears, "Dumbledore is more senile than even I gave him credit for," he thought.

"Surely you have enough to do with Voldemort back without wasting valuable time on menial tasks like caring for an infant Death Eater".

Dumbledore stood up. His voice remained calm but the others were in no doubt of his power. His eyes were filled with fury. He would not have anyone speak in that way about his child.

"First of all," he said, his eyes boring into Scrimgeour's, "St Mingo's is out of the question given the security implications. You know well that there are many who wish Severus harm, given his position as a spy for the light. It would be extremely irresponsible to put him in such a dangerous position. You do remember Bede's murder last year, I trust?"

Scrimgeour knew that Dumbledore was indirectly criticising the Ministry's lack of security last year and he was not pleased. He made to interrupt but Dumbledore silenced him with a look.

"Secondly," he continued, "There would be little point in putting Severus in a spell damage ward since his current condition was caused by a potion. The potion in question is being analysed at St Mungo's as we speak".

"Why can't you give Snape back to his parents?" Dawlish blurted out. Scrimgeour glared at him but Dumbledore answered him kindly, as one would a befuddled child.

"My dear Dawlish. I see you have not been a party to the full facts of the situation, " he smiled, "It would be difficult to reunite Professor Snape with his parents given that they died when he was fifteen. Unfortunately, his mother became involved with the Death Eaters and as his father was a Muggle…"

"Yes, yes, Dawlish, keep quiet. You don't know what you are talking about. Dumbledore, kindly get on with it and stop rambling like a senile old fool".

"Why, certainly, Rufus," Dumbledore's eyes positively sparkled with amusement. McGonagall secretly suspected that he was enjoying himself.

"Finally, I should point out to you that since the death of Severus Snape's parents the Ministry approved my application for guardianship of the boy. This role was extended after his role as a spy came to light as it was felt he needed someone to keep an eye on him. After all, as you are so fond of mentioning, Minister. Severus Snape was a Death Eater and the Ministry did not trust him as much as I do".

"How touching," Scrimgeour gave the older wizard a sneer reminiscent of Snape himself, "I doubt it is valid now, however. It probably expired after Voldemort vanished the first time".

"I assure you it is still valid. I checked after the accident happened. See for yourself". Dumbledore held out the parchment and allowed Scrimgeour to examine it and perform the validation spell. The parchment glowed green, confirming Dumbledore's words.

"I want to see Snape. Bring him to me!" Scrimgeour lost his temper, shouting at Dumbledore who looked at him steadily, his eyes firm as he was looking at a disruptive student.

"I don't see why that is necessary," he said calmly.

"I am the Minister for Magic!" Scrimgeour's anger continued, "I have every right to see a child to whom the Ministry has granted you guardianship".

Dumbledore decided that he probably had no choice but to let Scrimgeour see Severus. He needed to show he had nothing to hide or Scrimgeour would probably send in Wizarding child protection services, no doubt under the guise of concern for Dumbledore's well-being. They would probably claim that Dumbledore was too old or overstretched given his vast responsibilities.

"I will have Minerva go and get Severus," he said, ignoring the look of shock on McGonagall's face, "Before I do, however, I must insist, Rufus that you calm yourself and control you r temper. Severus is a baby. You are an adult and frankly in your current state you would terrify him".

Scrimgeour was less than appreciative of this assessment. "How dare that old goat talk to me as if I were a naughty student". He quelled his internal rage with difficulty. Suddenly a thought occurred to him.

"How do you know Snape is really a baby? He may have retained his adult mind. You cannot be certain that he is loyal to you, Dumbledore. This could all be a trick to get information for Voldemort.

"Really, Rufus," Dumbledore's teacher like manner continued, "That idea would rival Alastor Moody's most far fetched conspiracy theories. I hardly recite all the Ministry's secrets to a baby. This was an accident, which occurred because a mismade potion exploded over Professor Snape. The student responsible for this had not been concentrating fully on the task in hand".

"I want to see him, Dumbledore," Rufus barked.

"I'm afraid Mr Weasley has gone home for the holidays. His brother is home and they are having a family reunion. A wonderful way to spend one's time off".

"Not Weasley, I want to see Snape!" Scrimgeour could not decide whether the old man ad finally lost his marbles or was simply teasing him. Either way, he was beginning to lose his temper again.

"Certainly, my dear man," smiled Dumbledore. "Just keep calm. Minerva, could you please fetch Severus?"

McGonagall did as she was asked. She soon returned with Hermione and Harry Potter who was holding the baby in his arms. Severus, who had only recently woken up, looked around the room. On seeing the Headmaster, he whimpered and reached his arms out.

Before anyone could do anything, however, Scrimgeour had grabbed the baby roughly from Harry.

"Right, Snape. The game's up," he said gruffly, "Tell me why you are pretending to be a baby. Tell me!" He shook the child a little and Severus began to cry.

Dumbledore was across the room in an instant but he was not as fast as Harry. Pulling the crying child from Scrimgeour's grasps the boy shouted, "HOW DARE YOU HURT A BABY! DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT FEELS LIKE TO BE SHAKEN LIKE THAT? THIS IS NOT AN ADULT SNAPE. LEAVE HIM AND PROFESSOR DUMBLEDORE ALONE, YOU PRAT!"

Harry's tirade was loud enough to drown out Severus's cries. He was shaking with anger and barely noticed when Dumbledore took Severus from him and placed a calming hand on his shoulder.

"Well, I think that concludes our meeting, Minister," Dumbledore's eyes were burning with fury and fire, "You have mistreated and innocent baby, more the act of a Death Eater than the Minister for Magic. It is extremely dangerous to shake an infant. If there is any permanent damage to Severus, you will hear from me. Leave this school immediately!"

The Minister looked from Harry to the Headmaster and realised that he had lost control.

"Dumbledore's man through and through," he snapped. Harry did not respond and McGonagall practically shooed the Scrimgeour out.

Dumbledore turned his attention back to Snape. He examined him as best he could while talking to him in soothing tones. He asked Hermione to take the still quiet Harry to his sitting room while he called for Madame Pomfrey.

The nurse was horrified at the tale Albus told her. She scanned the baby for injuries, murmuring healing spells over him.

"He will be fine, Albus," she told him, "Luckily, it appears Scrimgeour did not shake him very hard. Not that he should have shaken him at all, the monster!"

"Indeed," said Dumbledore, "Thank you, Poppy".

He listened to her instructions and took the jars pain potions she left for the baby. He then turned his attention back to Severus who was still trembling and crying softly.

"Oh, my poor darling," he soothed, rocking the child, "My poor baby. What did the bad man do to you, hmm? Yes, I know it was very sore, sweetheart. I will not let anyone harm you again. It's all right now. I will not let anyone take you away, my precious child".

Severus rubbed his eyes.

"Let's get you a bottle and get you changed, my pet," Albus cooed, "I think it's time for another sleep, little one".

Very soon Severus was in a clean nappy and a warm bottle. Dumbledore rocked him in his arms and it took only a few bars of a lullaby for the exhausted baby to slip back into slumber.