Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:
Ok, very short, but I saw the challenge idea which inspired me and I wrote this in less than an hour to try and get my muses motivated. Not entirely sure if this is what Jan wanted from the challenge, but its my take on it!
Cat and Mouse

It stung, ever so slightly, as the sweat dripped into his eyes. It seemed like he’d been running all over the country, that he had never stopped, with a burning need to do the right thing, that he couldn’t control. He’d been gone for over a month and a half by now, no doubt Ron and Hermione were worried, probably worried sick, but he found himself not caring, he only had one task in mind and it was consuming him completely.

The man sat on at the table, with one leg crossed across the other and a slightly raised eye-brow, looked a picture of calm, the complete opposite to how he looked. He desperately attempted to calm his breathing down, but it was still coming in short harsh pants, and his heart was beating wildly with the adrenaline rush. “You killed him!” came the choked whisper, with just a hint of denial still in the voice and there was no response from the other side of the table, no effort to clear his name.

It was the first time that Harry had spoken to Snape since that fateful night, and it felt strange. Snape looked as he had always looked, but now the hatred Harry felt for him was real. Harry now knew that what he had felt for Snape whilst still the man’s student was not hatred, it was mere dislike and contempt, but now his hatred of the man in front of him was intense, what Snape had done was unforgivable and Harry was going to make him pay.

It was also the first time that Harry had seen Snape since the night he so desperately wanted to forget, to blot from his mind, to deny what had happened, he would do anything to change it! The man in front of him was not worthy of life, especially not after the one he had taken. Harry had chased Snape all over the country in his desire for revenge, and this was the first time he had gotten close to the man. He had always been so close, only to see the swish of a black cloak and the search and the chase started over again. The man let his get within touching distance, and then he disappeared, teasing and taunting Harry into action. Dark alleys in the middle of the night, muggle high streets in the middle of the day, a muggle service station in the early morning light and a pub one evening, Harry had come close, but now, this was the closest he had gotten. It was some dingy bed and breakfast in a wizarding alley Harry had not known had existing before today and he was finally face to face with Severus Snape, Albus Dumbledore’s murderer.

“I’m rather wondering why I’m still alive, considering we’ve both been in this room for more than two minutes. After all, your desire for revenge is strong, and you’re certainly powerful enough to kill me, if you so wanted to.” It was a back hand compliment, but a compliment no less and it threw Harry completely off-guard. “Of course, the only reason we’re both in this room is because I let you. You always were rash, never thinking things through properly. And you don’t have the nerve to kill me, not in cold blood. You need stealth, and cunning, and to stop wearing your heart on your sleeve. Until then, you’ll never be good enough and you’ll never kill. Oh, I know you have to, don’t look at me like that, but until you learn more, and listen to those around you who are willing to help, it wont happen. Until then you wont find me of your own accord. The day you track me down properly and kill me, is the day you’ll be ready, but until then, you’re not good enough.” The next thing Harry heard was the door shut, and when he looked out the window he saw the end of a black cloak disappearing around the corner and he was left with one hell of a lot to think about.

Maybe Snape would be able to teach him something after all?… For now though, he had a much bigger task to complete.

The End.