Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Ask and you shall recieve...here's another chapter to the fic I hope you all enjoy!
Chapter 2

He wasn't supposed to care. He wasn't supposed to want to confront the son of his enemy and make him eat...he wasn't supposed to want to help the boy! Snape's mind screamed at him as he forced himself to prowl the halls of Hogwarts late at night. It had been two days since he managed to pry information from Potter. And it had effected him more than he thought it would...he was actually truly worried for the boy, Merlin! He was scared for him! Harry's carefree words haunted Snape's dreams at night...something no one save the Dark Lord himself had ever been able to do. Snape paused and rested a hand against the cold stone wall. The boy honestly could care less if he died so long as he served the purpose he believed he had. He closed his eyes as his head began to ache, stupid, he cursed himself, stupid fool don't think about it, he is just seeking attention! A voice screamed in Snape's head as he resumed his walk, shaking his head he snapped back at the voice, that's exactly what he is trying to avoid! Dahm it all! The boy had been right, no one saw him, all they saw was a tool...I don't care...Snape repeated and found himself surprisingly standing in front of the painting that led to the Gryffindor dorm...I don't care! He screamed silently spinning away from it storming back in the directions of the dungeons. He would take a dreamless sleep! And then after a full nights sleep he would be back to his normal self. Potter...was a spoiled rotten brat! Who has eyes that seem far too old for a child his age...a soft voice hissed in his mind. Snape growled at both voices.

"Just leave me be!" he snapped at loud and froze in his tracks. The boy was managing to drive him mad. Admit it...you care...you even respect him! The quiet voice whispered. Snape growled and slammed his fist against the stone wall his head lowered. "I do not! Why would I respect someone that is always getting into trouble! Has no care for rules or those older than he is!" he doesn't run away from things he is afraid of...he faces them head on...alone...he always was alone wasn't he? Every time there was attack in the end...he was alone...like you...the voice insisted and Snape raised a hand pressing it hard against his temples. "Leave me alone!" he commanded. He was not having this conversation with himself...this was all just a nightmare! Merlin...what nightmares were tormenting the boy right now? He thought and shook his head squeezing his eyes closed. Stop it! He commanded again, I do not care for that brat! So just leave me the hell alone! Alone...always alone...do you want him to make the same choices you did? The voice whispered and Snape paled. His hand lowered to rest on his arm where he still bore the sign of his foolish youth.

"He wont make the same mistake...he believes his sole purpose is to defeat the Dark Lord not join him!" he countered stupid voice thinking he knew everything! There are other ways to make that mistake...what would he do...to get the amount of power to defeat the dark lord...he said he was researching... Snape felt the blood drain from his face...Potter wouldn't be foolish enough to teach himself the Dark Arts. "He isn't like the Dark Lord..." he whispered to the empty hallway. He can become like him...he would do anything to defeat him... the voice whispered. Snape released his arm and stared at the ground his eyes wide...Potter could...he could truly become just like the Dark Lord...only he doubted Potter would kill innocents...but... "Oh my god...he plans on killing himself the minute Voldemort is defeated!" Snape said out loud in shock. His body shook...turn his power onto himself...he could see the foolish boy doing just that...just so that he could never turn the way Tom Riddle had...and no one would notice that a boy named Harry Potter had died...only that the savior for the light had at last served his purpose and ended the Dark Lord's life once and for all...Snape shook as he finally understood Harry's words... "I'm lucky you know, most people have to go through their whole lives to find their purpose...I was born knowing mine..." the boy had known then...had known for some time that he was going to end his own life not Voldemort.

"He belongs in Slytherin..." Snape hissed. And even if he had been...you would've ignored him...pretended he didn't exist...but you can't now...you can't pretend he isn't there...that he isn't broken and bleeding...because you're the only one...with OPEN EYES! Only you truly see him! "A lot of good that does me...he hates me...and what just is it that I should do!" Snape asked the voice. You got him to open up to you...no one else not even his friends have managed to do that...MAKE him trust you...make him want to come to you...instead of bottling everything in...make him want to open up... "Just what I need a emotional teenager fully capable of destroying the whole school if he gets to upset." Snape muttered darkly. But he found himself frowning...that wouldn't be a problem if he actually had someone he didn't have to...hide what he felt around. Someone who understands where he is...and has been there himself...

"Why should I care!" Snape snapped again turning he leaned his back against the wall folding his arms and closing his eyes. He raised his right eyebrow in annoyance. "I don't even care about the brat." He muttered. Liar...then why were you always there...always saving him! "To repay the life debt from his blasted father!" Snape snapped his voice dripping with the hate he felt for James Potter. Liar! Don't close your eyes now!...he needs you! Snape opened his eyes frowning...one thing was for sure...he and Potter were going to have to have another long chat. And seeing as his friends were not around...he mused as he finally continued his way back to the dungeons...he had more potions he still had to brew...he would just make the boy help him...and make sure he actually ate something while he was at it. After all he had to eat as well, it wasn't like he was doing it out of concern...even if the boy was becoming a shadow of what he once was...not that he had noticed of course...no he hadn't...he hadn't watched as the boy left his plate untouched at every meal he bothered to show up for in the great hall. Maybe he would slip some Dreamless Sleep into the child's drink while he was at it. He could just tell the boy when he woke that he had fallen asleep naturally. Yes...that was what he was going to do...and not because he cared...but because he was annoyed. Satisfied he deemed the halls free of students enough to get some sleep...but as he approached his quarters the quiet voice in his head laughed. Lie all you want...you care...you always have...

To be continued...