Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Hogsmeade and Quidditch

“Hogsmeade weekend!”

Niamh bounded happily into the common room and onto the couch beside Harry. He glared at her and so did Ginny, who was sitting across from him in a chair, Harry’s copy of Aurors of the Centuries on her lap.

“C’mon, Harry. Hogsmeade weekend! Why aren’t you happy?”

“’Cause I can’na go,” replied Harry in a low growl.

Niamh blinked then shrieked, “WHAT?! Why?!

“Well, it’d look a little strange fer me House o’ House ter sign the slip me guardians are supposed to sign, wouldn’t it?”

Niamh’s face fell.

“You’re not going to get to come with us?”

“I believe I jus’ said that,” said Harry sarcastically. “Da wouldn’t even let me go over summer hols.”

“Oh, Harry…”

“Wait a minute,” said Ginny, leaning forward over the edge of the large book. “We turn those into our Head of House, right? So, what’s the problem?”

“Then they go ter McGonagall,” said Harry. “She’s Deputy Headmistress, y’know.”

“Oh.”

“Yeh.”

Mika stomped into Arx Serpens suddenly, looking furious. He slammed his bag down then threw himself one of the chairs in the Hexer’s Corner. Ginny stared at him for a moment then asked, “What’s wrong?”

“That damned dog nearly tripped me coming down here. Blew past me like a Hellhound was after him. And with Crookshanks right behind him!”

“Hey, don’t insult Sirius,” said Niamh.

“He nearly tripped me! Down the main stairs, no less. You know how steep those things are.”

An image of the main staircase leading down into the dungeons popped into the three other Slytherins minds. Harry shook his head then said, “’E’s a dog, Mika. Dog’s do stuff like tha’.”

“Yeah? Well, next time I’ll set his tail on fire.”

“You do and I’ll have your head,” growled Niamh.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

That Saturday…

Niamh and Mika returned from Hogsmeade in good spirits and with goodies to spare hidden in their pockets. Niamh handed Harry a bottle of butterbeer and proclaimed, “Since you can’t go to Hogsmeade, we’ll just bring Hogsmeade to you!” Harry simply grinned at her and grabbed a Chocolate Frog from the pile of various bits and pieces of candy Niamh had dumped out of her cloak pockets.

Four days later, Slytherin House was in an uproar, with students in Arx Serpens shoving each other every which way. The reason for this was the list of the Quidditch team for next year and the reserves posted on the wall earlier that morning by Flint.

Harry sat calmly in the Hexer’s Corner, Jardin perched on his knee and Hedwig in his hair, watching the pushing and shoving with unveiled amusement. Beside him Ginny winced as she heard a hapless fifth year get hexed by Niamh for stepping on her foot.

A few moments later the aforementioned girl shoved her way through the crowd and ran over to them, leaping on Harry and hugging him tightly.

“I made it! I can’t believe it!”

“What’d you get?” asked Ginny as Harry choked in Niamh’s grip.

“First string Chaser,” replied Niamh proudly. She then noticed Harry’s red face and let go hurriedly.

“Sorry, mate.”

“S’alright,” croaked Harry, rubbing his throat.

Mika walked over and joined them now and Ginny asked him the same question. The white-haired boy sullenly replied, “Reserve Beater. Oh, and watch out next year, Harry.”

“Why?”

“Because Malfoy’s been promoted. From reserve Seeker to first string Beater.”

“Y’know,” said Niamh with a thoughtful look, “Malfoy’s always seemed a better Beater than a Seeker.”

“Correction,” said Harry. “I’m a better Beater an’ Malfoy’s stuck as a Seeker.”

“Huh?” said Ginny.

Mika suddenly laughed and Harry grinned at him. The other boy had understood perfectly what he was saying.

“Harry means that he’s better at beating Malfoy.”

“And Malfoy’s good at seeking the beating,” finished Niamh with a wry smile. “Ha ha! Bloody brilliant.”

“Bloody true’s more like i’,” said Harry.

“Ah, bugger that. So, who’s reserve Seeker next year? I didn’t look.”

“Why, our Ginny,” said Mika with a gesture towards the younger girl, who flushed.

Harry looked at the girl beside him and said, “You tried out, Gin?”

Ginny shrugged, still blushing, and replied, “Yeah. I’m pretty good.”

Pretty good!” gasped Mika. “Gin, your bloody amazing! Not as good as our resident Seeker, but pretty damn good.”

“Don’t compliment him. He’ll get a big head,” said Niamh.

“Oi!” cried Harry good naturedly and they all laughed.