Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Dementors and Werewolves

Lupin was sitting at his desk in the DADA classroom putting together what he was going to teach for the first class after Christmas holidays when there was a knock at the door.  He looked up in surprise, having not expected anyone to come see him on Christmas Day.

“Come in.”

The door opened and a familiar dark-haired Slytherin poked his head in, green eyes darting to the graying teacher.

“Harry,” said Lupin, smiling at the tall, lanky boy.  “Come in, come in.  Tea?”

“Thank ye, but no,” said Harry, entering the room.  He walked forward and added, “Could I ask ye a question, professor?”

“Certainly.  What’s on your mind?”

“Well…I was wondering if ye – if ye knew a way ter dispel the Dementors.”

Lupin arched an eyebrow and asked, “Why do you ask?”

“Ye heard about the match?”

“I did.  Was there any way to save your broom?”

Harry shook his head.

“Na.  Completely shattered.”

“And the question you asked is incase that happens again.”

Harry nodded and asked, “Ye know what Dementors do?”

Lupin nodded.

“You relive your worst memories.”

“Yeh.”

“Harry,” said Lupin, eying the boy.  “What do you hear when you get near them?”

“My mum.  Voldemort killing her.”

Merlin’s ghost.

“They’re getting hungry,” said Lupin.  “Dumbledore won’t let them inside the school.  I suppose that all the emotions running wild at the Quidditch match was too much for them to pass up.”

“Yeh.  A feast.  Like the prisoners in Azkaban.”

“It’s a terrible place.”

“Mmm,” said Harry.  He looked at the werewolf and asked, “Can ye help me?”

Lupin sighed and replied, “It’s a very difficult charm to perform.  Most adult wizards can’t perform it.  They don’t have what’s needed.”

“I can do it.”

Lupin smiled slightly at the boy and said, “Alright then.  We’ll try.  Give me time to find a Boggart.  We can’t have a Dementor in the school, now can we?”

Harry shook his head, a smile quirking at the corner of his mouth.

“I’ll inform you when I find one.  Until then…relax.  Enjoy the rest of the holidays with your friends.”

“Thank ye, professor.”

“My pleasure, Harry.”

Harry nodded gratefully then turned and left.  Lupin looked thoughtfully after him for a moment, one finger tapping his chin.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

Lupin’s POV

Hmmm.

I am beginning to wonder about that boy.

Especially after what Hagrid told me.

There seem to be several stories about him but none of them seem to fit together.

Hagrid says he’s a good kid, if a little too drawn into himself.

Minerva…oh, what can one say about Minerva’s opinion of Slytherin’s?  She’s disliked Slytherin’s ever since Severus turned her cloak into a bunch of piranha in our first year.

Emily claims he keeps to himself but seems like a well-behaved child.

Frederick says he’s as good at Charms as Lily was and has a higher grade in there than Miss Granger, which is saying something.

Poppy says she sees him often enough in the Hospital Wing along with his friends, which puts them in the troublemakers section for her.  Right in with the Weasley twins.

Of course, Severus won’t tell me what he thinks of Harry.  If anyone can hold a grudge, that man can.

And all Albus will say on the matter is that Harry is a good student who stayed at Hogwarts for the summer because of family problems.

I’m beginning to wonder if it wasn’t because of Sirius’ escape.  Why didn’t Fudge tell the public?  They deserve to know.  The children at the school deserve to know why the Dementors are on the grounds.  But noooo….

I sighed and ran my fingers back through my hair.

Ergh.  I don’t know what to think of that boy.  He doesn’t look anything like James and I can’t place who he does look like.

And it’s driving me mad.

Blast.

I think I need a vacation.