Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All of the Harry Potter Characters are the property of JK. Rowling
Chapter 4

Albus Dumbledore sat in his office, pondering over the previous days events.  He hoped that with Harry living with Severus, the potions master could gain some form of parental control over Harry.  If Harry trusted Severus, and if he survived his illness, then the savior would be on Albus Dumbledore's side.  After all, he wouldn't want to disappoint Severus.  Just as Albus was about to sort through his paperwork, the fireplace flared up and the flames turned green.  Soon, Remus Lupin's head was calling for Albus from inside the fireplace.  Albus stood and knelt on the rug in front of the fire.

"Remus, is there something that I can do for you?" he asked.  Remus looked at the headmaster, a hopeful look in his amber colored eyes.

"I got your owl stating that you may have found Harry.  Is he there at the school? How is he?"  Albus chuckled.

"The boy could be better Remus, but Severus is taking care of him."  If possible, Remus Lupin's eyes became darker at the mention of the potions masters name.

"Why have you put Severus in charge of taking care of Harry? You know full well that I would do it."

Albus frowned.

"I know you want to do what is best for Harry Remus, so you have to understand why I placed the child into Severus's care.  With your transformations once a month, it would be impossible for you to look after Harry safely."  Remus frowned.

"I would never hurt Harry," Remus said. 

"You certainly would not mean to hurt Harry Remus, but accidents do happen.  Besides, with Harry's condition, he needs more full time care.  Care which Severus can give him." 

"What is wrong with Harry?" Remus asked.  Albus sighed.

"I'm afraid that Harry has somehow contracted the Muggle illness known as cancer."  Remus blanched.

"Albus, isn't that deadly? Are you telling me that Harry is going to die?"

"Severus is going to do extensive research to figure out if there is a potion that could be made to help Harry."  Remus frowned.

"Step back Albus, I’m coming through.  I want to see Harry for myself."  Albus stood and backed away from the fireplace, and soon, Remus was standing in the headmaster's office.  He didn't spare a glance for Albus.  He walked right past the headmaster and out the door, down the spiraling staircase, and headed directly for the hospital wing.

Meanwhile in the hospital wing, Harry was just beginning to stir.  Severus reached over and smoothed the hair away from the boy's face.  Harry lent into the touch, seeking the comfort that it brought.   The potions master chuckled and ruffled Harry's hair.

"Sleep well?" he asked.  Harry smiled and nodded.

"When are we going to your home?" Harry asked.

"It will be your home to Harry, for as long as you wish it."  Severus couldn't believe how fast his feelings changed for the raven haired boy.  The only thing he knew was that he was going to do everything he could to take care of the boy.

Tears came to Harry's eyes.  He had never had a home before, and it felt good to know that someone cared about him, really and truly cared.  Severus reached over and wiped Harry's face.

"No more tears now.  We will be leaving after Poppie gives you another once over."  Harry nodded and silence fell.  The silence didn't last long, for soon the hospital wing doors flew open to admit one unhappy werewolf.   When he entered the room, and saw the thin child in the bed with Severus sitting by the bed, his amber eyes turned dark.

"Hello Harry," he said.  Harry looked at the man standing near the foot of his bed in confusion.

"Who are you?” He asked.    Remus tried to smile at the child.

"I am an old friend of your parents.  My name is Remus Lupin."  Harry nodded.

"I never knew my parents," he said.

"They were good people," Remus said.  Harry nodded.  He really didn't know why this man was here.  All he wanted was to go home with Severus.

"I'm going home with Severus," Harry said.  Remus blanched and sent a glare towards Severus.  Severus, not wanting to frighten the boy, just stared stonily back at the werewolf silently.

"I know that you have been through a lot Harry," Remus said, "but your parents wouldn't want you to go home with Severus."  Harry looked confused.

"Why not?" he asked.

"Your dad and Severus didn't get along," Remus replied.  Severus growled.  He couldn't remain silent any more.

"Albus placed Harry into my care Lupin, not that it is any of your business, so if you would kindly leave then Poppie can give Harry his check up, and we can go."  Remus bristled.

"I will find a way to get Harry away from you," he said.  Harry curled up into a little ball on his bed.  He hated when people fought.  Severus, seeing Harry's distress, reached over and touched the boy's shoulder.

"Harry will be remaining with me," Severus said, his tone deadly.  Remus tried another tact.  He walked over to the other side of Harry's bed and touched his shoulder. Harry flinched, but Remus took no notice.

"Harry, wouldn't you like to come live with me.  I can tell you all about your parents, and we can have lots of fun together."  Harry turned and looked at Remus, his eyes full of a wisdom beyond his years.

"Where were you when mum and dad died?  Where were you when I was left with the Dursleys?"  Remus looked at Harry.

"I was grieving Harry.  I should have come to check up on you, I know that now."  Harry scooted closer to Severus, trying to put as much distance between himself and Lupin as he could.

"Lupin, you are scaring the boy. Leave, now."  Remus glared at the potions master but turned and headed for the door.

"This isn't over," Remus said.  Severus just glared at the werewolf as Lupin stormed out of the room.  Severus touched Harry's shoulder.

"Are you all right?" he asked.  Harry turned and looked to Severus.

"I get to stay with you, right?"  Severus nodded, and a small smile flitted across Harry's face.  Just then Madam Pomfrey bustled in.

"How are we this morning Mr. Potter?" she asked.  Harry smiled at the nurse.

"Good," he said.  For once he didn't feel sick, and it was nice.  Poppie smiled and waved her wand over the child, performing various diagnostic charms on the child. 

"Just feed him his nutrition potions, and I will contact you in two days so that you can be there when I talk to the doctor.  Is that agreeable Severus?" Severus nodded.

"Well then, off with you."  Severus scooped up the child into his arms and picked up the already pre-made portkey off the nightstand.

"Hold on," he said, as he whispered the password.  They felt a jerk behind their navels, before they were deposited in a lush green meadow outside Snape manor.

Chapter End Notes:
First, I’d like to thank all of you who have read and reviewed.  Second, I know some of you do not like how I portraid Remus, but I needed to do it for this story.  I love Remus as a character, but this is the way it had to be.  Please don’t send me a review saying Remus is out of character, because I already know.  Third, some of you have brought up the fact that England would have paid for any of Harry’s medical needs because he is a ward of the state.  I know this, but for this story, I needed Harry to be the poor little orphan with no help.  Also, cancer treatments can be expensive, and there is only so much money that can go around.  I’m sorry if that upsets anyone.  To those of you who continue reading, do not forget to review.