Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:

Disclaimer: All of the Harry Potter characters are the property of JK. Rowling

A/N: Thank you to Maria for her editing. I hope you enjoy this chapter.  Please don’t forget to review.

Chapter 5

Severus stayed still for a moment after they landed in the meadow surrounding Snape manor.  Harry was clutching to him for dear life, and Severus wanted to make sure that the boy was all right before proceeding to the house.

"That wasn't fun," Harry said, lifting his head from where he had buried it in Severus's cloak.  Severus chuckled.

"The way wizards travel is a lot different than the way Muggles travel no doubt."  Harry nodded.  Severus reached up and rubbed the nape of Harry's neck.

"Do you feel ready to continue on to the manor?" Severus asked.  Harry nodded, and began to look around.  Green trees filled the meadow, and little daisies and buttercups sprung up out of the grass.  The air smelled of fresh flowers, and off in the distance Harry could here a small stream of water flowing through a bed of rocks.

"Its perfect," Harry said, smiling at his guardian.  Severus smiled, and still holding the child to him, he walked through the meadow and up the path to the gates of the old family home.  Once at the gate Severus took Harry's hand in his.

"Harry, I am going to draw a small amount of blood from your finger so that I can add your magical signature to my wards.  This way the house will recognize you."  Harry nodded, and Severus pricked Harry's finger with his wand.  Once the red liquid began falling from his finger, Severus placed Harry's hand to the gate and muttered a spell under his breath.  Harry felt a warm tingle throughout his hand, and then the gate vibrated once before becoming still once more.  Severus took Harry's hand and closed the cut with his wand. Reaching up to the gate, Severus unlocked the magical padlock that he had on it for protection and swung the gate open wide.

"Welcome home," he said to Harry, walking inside onto the lush green lawns of his estate.  Severus shut the gate and walked up the small path and onto the porch.  Once at the door he took Harry's hand and placed it on the door, and the wards, recognizing Harry as a welcome visitor, allowed the door to unlock and swing open wide.  A house elf was waiting in the entry for Harry and Severus when they stepped inside.

"Master Severus, your home," a little elf with a tea towel with the Snape family crust said, walking up to her master and bowing.  Severus reached down and grabbed the elf's shoulder.

"I have told you once and I will tell you again, do not bow before me Missy."  Missy stood up straight.

"Yes master, sorry master."  Severus nodded and placed Harry on the floor.  Harry looked around at the huge entry way.  He had never been in a home this grand before.

"Missy, see that a room is prepared next to mine for Mr. Potter, and from now on you will address Harry formally.  Is that understood?"

"Yes master Snape," Missy said.  Severus nodded.

"Is there food prepared in the kitchen?" Severus asked.  Missy nodded.

"Chrissie has made fresh scones and finger sandwiches sir."  Severus nodded.

"Very well, have the food brought to us in the dining room."  The elf nodded and left the entry way.  Severus took Harry's hand.

"Come, I will show you to the dining room, and after we have eaten I will show you around the manor."  Harry nodded and followed Severus in silence.

Once at the dining room, Severus sat Harry in a booster seat that had already been placed at the table, before sitting down himself.  Within seconds, Chrissie came in with the tea and food, sitting the items on the table and silently leaving the room.  Severus put a scone, a finger sandwich, and a cup of tea in front of Harry.

"Try and eat as much as you can," Severus said.  Harry nodded and took a bite of the scone, smiling in satisfaction at the sweet, buttery taste.  He was able to finish his scone, and drink half of his tea, but his stomach was going to rebel if he ate anymore, so he sat back and waited for Severus to finish his food.

Severus sighed.  He knew that Harry's appetite was almost nonexistent due to his treatments, but it didn't make him feel any better.  The child was fading before his eyes and he couldn't let that happen.  He was going to have to begin researching soon, if he hoped to save Harry's life.  Severus finished his meal and stood.  Once he made sure that Harry's hands and face were clean, he helped Harry stand and gave him a tour of the house.

"As you know, right now you are in the dining room.  The kitchen is out this door and to the right.  The house elves do not take kindly to people invading their domain, so it would be best if you stay out of the kitchen unless you can not find a house elf."  Harry nodded and Severus led him out of the dining room.  The walked down a long hall which had several rooms on either side.

"Most of these rooms are guest rooms," Severus said, "however; this door is my potions lab.  Should you need me when I am in there please knock.  I will answer as soon as I am able.  If it is an emergency, tell a house elf and they will come and get me."  Harry nodded, and he and Severus headed upstairs.  They walked down several hallways, Severus pointing out where the library was, and where his study was.  Soon they came to another hallway and turned down it.

"This is where you and I will be staying," Severus said.  “This is my room, and the door directly next to mine is yours.  Should you need me, knock and I will answer, no matter what time it is."  Harry nodded and Severus opened Harry's door.  Inside was a room decorated in blue.  There was a plush blue carpet, a four poster bed in the corner with blue hangings, and a blue quilt covering the giant bed.  Harry looked at the bed in shock.

"This is your room.  If there is anything you want changed let me know."  Harry turned to Severus, a look of gratitude in his eyes.

"Thank you Severus," he said, his little hands clutching at Severus's robes.  Severus reached down and ruffled the boy's hair.

"Why don't you get settled in while I go talk to the house elves about our meals.  I will come up to speak to you shortly."  Harry nodded and Severus smiled at the boy before leaving the room.

Harry lay down on the bed, he was tired, and decided that a nap sounded good.  Once his body hit the soft mattress he sighed.  He would have never imagined that he would be in a home, a home that he could call his own.  He looked around the room one more time before snuggling down into the soft silky sheets, letting sleep claim him.  Severus, who had just finished talking to the house elves about Harry's condition, walked into Harry's room, and at the sight of the child sleeping soundly, Severus smiled.  He would do anything in his power to make Harry healthy.  Silently Severus left the room, but not before placing a monitoring charm on Harry that would alert him when the boy awoke.  The potions master slowly walked down the hall and to his potions lab, where he began the long and tedious task of finding a cure for Harry.