Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All of the Harry Potter Characters are the Property of JK. Rowling
Chapter 6

Severus growled in frustration. He had been researching all night and still hadn't found anything that would help Harry. Severus slammed the book closed and rubbed his eyes. Dawn was creeping over the horizon, and he knew that he should go and get a few hours of sleep before Harry woke, but he just couldn't do it. Harry was living on precious time, and he would find a cure. Severus took in a deep breath, and jumped in surprise when the monitoring charm that he had placed on Harry went off. Hoping that the child was all right, Severus stood and headed for the little boy's room.

Harry had awoken tangled up in his sheets. He didn't feel good, and he hated it. He couldn't remember a time when he hadn't been sick, and he wondered if this was how he was meant to live his life. Harry's thoughts were interrupted by a soft knock at the door. Harry weakly lifted his head from the pillow before speaking.

"Come in," he said. Severus opened the door and frowned when he saw Harry's pale face peaking at him from under the covers. Severus walked inside the room and shut the door. He strode over to Harry and touched the Childs forehead, and noticed that he had a fever.

"You aren't feeling well, are you my child?" Severus asked. Harry meekly nodded.

"It will all be all right Harry. I am going to call Poppie so that she can come and have a look at you. I will be right back.” Harry nodded, and Severus touched the boy's bald raven head before leaving the room. He walked into his study and activated the floo. Once the powder was in the flames, and the fire had turned green, Severus fire called the Hogwarts infirmary.

"Poppie," he shouted, hoping that the nurse was still awake. A tired Madam Pomfrey walked out of her office and over to the floo.

"What is it Severus. Is something wrong with Harry?" Severus nodded.

"He has a fever, and I didn't want to give him anything without consulting you first." Poppie nodded.

"Step back Severus, I am coming through." Severus stood away from the fireplace, and a few minutes later Poppie came through the fire, her medical bag in hand.

"I talked to Harry's doctor. It seems that he cares for Harry a lot, and I think we can trust him with knowing about magic and the Wizarding world." Severus nodded.

"We can tell him later on today at his appointment then," Severus said. The nurse nodded.

"Show me to Harry," she said. Severus wasted no time in leading the nurse upstairs and into Harry's room. Pomfrey walked over to Harry and touched his shoulder.

"Hello Harry dear," she said.

"Hi," Harry said, recognizing the nurse immediately by the sound of her gentle voice. Poppie smiled gently at the boy.

"Severus tells me that you aren't feeling well. I am going to run a diagnostic scan on you to see what is going on." Harry nodded. Poppie ran her scan and frowned. The news wasn't good. She sent a comforting smile towards Harry before pulling Severus into a corner of the room, and erecting a silencing charm around the two of them. Severus looked worried. He knew that the nurse wouldn't have pulled him aside unless it was something serious.

"What is going on Poppie?" he asked, almost afraid to know the answer. The nurse sighed.

"His cancer is spreading and I don't know what we can do to help him. I am going to have you start him on some herbal treatments. The herbs have no magical properties in them what so ever, and the herbs will help Harry feel better, at least for a little while. I will tell you now Severus, if a cure isn't found soon, then, the boy won't last the year.” Severus sucked in a breath at this information. He knew the fate of the boy rested in his hands, and he would be damned if he would let the child die. Harry had so much to live for.

"I suppose that we should go give Harry his medicine," Severus said. Poppie waved her wand and the silencing spell fell. Harry's fevered green eyes were staring at the potions master and the nurse.

"Can you make me better?" Harry asked. Poppie tried hard not to let her eyes fill with tears, but she failed miserably.

"I am going to do everything I can to make you feel better," she said. Harry nodded and the nurse sat to work. She gave Severus several herbal teas and herbs to make a poultice that Severus could place on Harry's chest, should he find it difficult to breathe. Once the boy was breathing normally, both Severus and Poppie sighed in relief. After several more potions, Harry was sleeping peacefully.

"He should be fine until morning, the nurse said tiredly. Severus nodded.

"Thank you Poppie," Severus said. The nurse smiled.

"It is my job," she said. "However, I would do anything to help the boy, you know that.”

Soon Poppie left, and Severus pulled up a chair next to Harry's bed to keep a close eye on him.

The potions master must have fallen asleep, because a few hours later he had opened his eyes when he felt a tap on his shoulder. He looked around the room and saw that the sun was now shining brightly through the window, and Harry was sitting up in bed.

"How are you feeling?" Severus asked.

"Better than last night," Harry replied. Severus smiled.

"I shall have the house elves bring you up some porridge to eat.”

Harry nodded, and soon Missy was in the room carrying a bowl of porridge and a plate of scrambled eggs and sausage for Severus balanced on a tray.

"Thank you Missy," Severus said. The little elf bobbed up and down.

"Your very welcome master Snape." The two ate their breakfast in silence, and once the meal was finished Severus turned to Harry.

"Today we are going to see Doctor Peterson," Severus said. The little boy's eyes lit up at the sound of his doctor's name and he smiled.

"I like Doctor Peterson," Harry said. Severus smiled, and after waving his hand to make the breakfast tray disappear, he helped Harry out of bed and into the bathroom to take a bath. Once Harry was cleaned up and ready for the day, Severus left him in his room reading a book of fairytales while he got ready.

After Severus was ready he went and collected Harry from his room, and then went downstairs to fire call Poppie, who came through the fireplace to accompany Harry and Severus to the Muggle doctor’s office.

"How are we going to get there Severus?" Poppie asked.

"I think the best way to travel is by portkey," Severus said. "Harry doesn't like apperating much, and although I don't think he will care much for portkeys, I'm not familiar with the location of the doctor's office, and I don't want to splinch us." The nurse nodded, and Severus pulled a plastic shrunken cauldron out of his pocket. Once Poppie and Harry had their hands on the portkey, Severus whispered the activation spell, and within moments the three were whisked away from Snape manor, only to land seconds later in an alley close to the doctor’s office.

Harry was a little wobbly after the landing, but he didn't look like he was going to be sick, so Severus took the child's hand and led him around the building until they came to the entrance, and walked inside, the nurse trailing behind them. The three walked up to the receptionist desk, and the receptionist, recognizing Harry, smiled warmly down at him.

"Doctor Peterson will be with you shortly," she said. Severus and Poppie nodded and they all took seats to wait for their turn to see the doctor. Soon Harry was called back, and once he saw Doctor Peterson, he broke away from Severus's strong hold on him and ran up to the doctor, hugging him tightly. Doctor Peterson chuckled.

"I missed you to kiddo," he said, giving Harry a tight squeeze. He pulled back from Harry and gave the child a good once over. He looked pale, and he still needed to gain weight, but he looked happy, and the doctor was pleased to see that.

"Well, should we get started?" Doctor Peterson asked. Harry nodded, and he was led over to a bed and he climbed onto the mattress and lay down, awaiting his treatment. Severus stepped forward and spoke.

"Doctor Peterson, before you give young Harry his treatment, I think there is something you should know." The doctor smiled and turned to Severus.

"And what might that be?" Poppie, who was standing behind Severus, discreetly pulled her wand out of her pocket and cast silencing as well as locking spells on the door, so as not to be over heard. Then she stepped forward.

"Hello doctor Peterson, my name is Poppie Pomfrey, I believe I spoke to you briefly a while back concerning Mr. Potter's treatment." Doctor Peterson nodded.

"Well, Harry has an interesting case. You see, Harry isn't like most children. He is different, and that is why I am finding it difficult to treat him."

"I don't understand," Doctor Peterson said. Severus spoke.

"Young Harry is a wizard, and so are Poppie and I. I know that it may be hard for you to believe,

but I can prove it." The doctor looked between the nurse and Severus, a look plainly saying that he thought they were both nuts. Severus removed his wand from his pocket, and giving it a good wave, he made sparks fly out of his wand. Next, Severus muttered a spell, and his wand tip lit up. Doctor Peterson's mouth flew open in shock, and he sat down roughly into a chair that was next to the hospital bed. He took in a few deep breaths and looked at the other occupants in the room before speaking.

"So I assume that you guys can cure Harry then?" the doctor asked. The nurse frowned sadly.

"I'm afraid not doctor," she said. "cancer is a Muggle illness and the wizards that have contracted it have died shortly after getting the disease. The treatments that you use do not mix well with a wizards magic, and only work half as much as they should."

"So what can we do?" doctor Peterson asked, still shocked at the news he had just heard, but knowing that he would do whatever it took to help Harry. Severus spoke.

"I am currently trying to make a potion to cure Harry, but since not much is known about cancer, it is difficult to know what I may or may not use to treat this illness." The doctor nodded.

"What do you need me to do?" he asked. Poppie spoke.

"I still want you to give Mr. Potter his treatments, however, I want to try and find some combination of Muggle and wizard medicine, to see if we can buy Harry some time until we can find a cure. I will need to know what you are giving Harry, and the doses that you are giving him, and I will even need a small flask of the medicine that you are putting into his body. Severus will take the medicine and see what potion ingredients work well with the medicine, and hopefully he can create a potion to help Harry. If anyone can do it, Severus can."

"What is a Muggle?" doctor Peterson asked.

"A Muggle is someone who doesn't have any magic," Severus said. The doctor nodded.

"You will have to forgive me if I am finding this all difficult to take in. However, I will do what it takes to help Harry, and since I know that you two do

not wish to hurt the boy, I will let you use your potions on him, as well as keep your magic secret." Poppie and Severus sighed with relief. With the doctor on their side, hopefully things will begin to look up for Harry.

"For now I will give Harry his usual treatment, then next week if you have made a potion that works well with the medicine that I have given him, we can try it and see how it works." The potions master nodded, and doctor Peterson stood and began to administer Harry's chemo therapy.

By the end of the day, Harry was exhausted, and all he wanted to do was go home and sleep. Severus, seeing that his charge was tired, swiftly picked up the child and held him close to his body.

"Thank you doctor," he said. The doctor smiled and nodded.

"Same time next week," he said." Madam Pomfrey and Severus nodded before exiting the hospital, and taking the port key back to Snape manor. Once home, Severus tucked Harry into bed, and after he had seen Poppie to the fireplace, he took the vile of the medicine that doctor Peterson had used on Harry, and went into his lab to begin analyzing the concoction, hoping that he could make a potion that would help save Harry's life.

Chapter End Notes:
I know that Doctor Peterson wasn’t as put off by magic as some people might think he should be, but his main concern is for Harry. If Harry gets better that is all that matters. Please review.