Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All of the Harry Potter Characters of the Harry Potter universe belong to JK. Rowling
Chapter 8

Harry awoke shaking, his blankets twisted around his feet, and he was sweating profusely.  He tried to get out of bed, but when he sat up his stomach churned and he lost what food he had left  in his stomach all over his covers.  Harry's head was pounding as well, which made rational thought almost impossible.  Harry wanted Severus, he needed Severus, but he couldn't go and get him.  Feebly he spoke.

"Chrissie," he said.  The little elf popped into the room and looked at her little master.  She had grown fond of Harry and didn't want anything happening to him.  She looked at his feverish face and his glazed eyes, and without being asked, went and got Severus.

Severus was in his lab, cursing at the potion that had just exploded.   Mixing the Muggle medicine with magical potions was proving to be difficult, and Severus was running out of time.  Chrissie popped into the potions lab and startled Severus from his thoughts.

"This better be important Chrissie," Severus snarled.  The little elf bobbed her head.  She was use to her master's hot temper, and she could handle it.

"Young master isn't feeling well again sir," Chrissie said.  Severus swore, and after insuring that his cauldron wouldn't explode in his absence, Severus left the lab and ran to Harry's room.  He walked inside and ran instantly over to Harry.  The child had soiled his bed clothes, and his eyes were bright with fever.

"Severus," Harry said weakly.  Severus placed a hand on Harry's shoulder and shushed him.

"Shhh, it's going to be all right."

"I'm sorry," Harry said, tears falling unchecked down his cheeks.

"Sorry for what Harry?" Severus asked.

"I'm-- sorry-- for-- making my bed covers and clothes-- dirty," Harry said, his cries becoming frantic.  Severus felt a well of anger rising up inside him.  Harry didn't know that being sick wasn't his fault.

"You can't help being sick Harry.  I'm not mad at you," Severus said, reaching up to Harry's cheek and wiping at the tears.  Severus took his wand out and vanished the sick away, then he gathered Harry into his arms.  Harry was burning up, and Severus was scared that he would lose the boy.  He summoned a house elf, and soon Chrissie had popped into the room.

"What can Chrissie do for you master?"

"Go fetch me a fever reducer from the shelf marked Harry in my lab and then call madam Pomfrey."  The elf nodded and disappeared, leaving a worried Severus to tend to a scared Harry.  He went into the bathroom and started a tepid bath, and after the tub had filled he walked back into Harry's room.  He undressed Harry and picked the light child up in his arms and proceeded to carry him to the bathroom.  Harry clung to Severus as if his life depended on it.  He didn't want Severus to leave him.

"I'm not going anywhere," Severus said, kissing Harry's forehead.  Once in the bathroom, Severus placed Harry in the tub, and Harry protested.

"I'm cold," he said.

"I know Harry, but I need to get your fever down," Severus said.  Harry began to cry, and Severus summoned a calming potion from the medicine cabinet and coaxed Harry to drink it.  Harry calmed, but he still looked horrible.  Severus was relieved to hear Madam Pomfrey walking up the stairs and into Harry's room.

"How is he Severus?" the nurse asked, already scanning Harry with her wand.  She had Harry take a fever reducing potion, but it didn't look like it was helping the child any.

"I'm afraid that there isn't anything we can do but keep him comfortable and hope that this will pass," Madam Pomfrey said.

"There had to be something we can do Poppy," Severus said.  The nurse could tell that Severus was close to breaking down, and so was she.

"Keep him in the bath for another fifteen minutes.  You can keep giving him potions, and in the morning I will contact Doctor Peterson and see what kind of Muggle treatments he can recommend to help Harry."  Severus nodded.  Madam Pomfrey stood to leave.

"I will send someone over to watch over Harry in the morning.  You need to get back to your research. Hopefully you can save him."

"Send over Minerva.  Her presence is tolerable, and I don't think I can deal with Albus right now."  The nurse nodded, took one more glance at Harry and left.  She prayed that Severus could save Harry.  If he didn't, the wizarding world would be looking for another savior.

Severus sat by Harry's bed for the rest of the night.  He would intermittently run a cool cloth over Harry’s feverish forehead, and when the child would stir from a bad dream or a fever induced fear, Severus would gather the boy into his arms and rock him gently until he calmed down.  It was nearing dawn when Harry awoke.

"So hot," he said.  He tried to sit up, but his body was too weak.

"Do not move Harry," Severus said gently.

"Going to be sick," Harry said.  Severus conjured a basin and Harry dry heaved into the tub.  He had nothing in his stomach to purge, and Severus was concerned that Harry's condition was worsening.  

After he had Harry settled in bed once more he spoke.

"Minerva McGonigal, a teacher at Hogwarts, is going to come and sit with you while I work on some potions to make you feel better," Severus said as he stroked Harry's bald head lightly.

"You will come if I need you," Harry said.  Severus nodded.

"I am always going to be here for you Harry," Severus said.  Severus heard footsteps traipsing up the stairs and knew that the Transfigurations teacher had arrived.

"How is he this morning Severus?" McGonigal asked.

"His fever has lowered, but it is starting to rise again.  I'm afraid that unless I find something for him soon, he might not make it much longer."  McGonigal's eyes filled with tears but she kept them at bay.  It wouldn't do for Harry to see her upset.

"You go work on your potions.  If Harry needs you or if anything changes, I will let you know."  Severus nodded and leaned down and kissed Harry's forehead.

"You know how to find me," he said.  Harry sleepily nodded and snuggled down into the warm blankets, knowing that Severus would keep him safe.

---

The next morning dawned bright and clear, but there was no improvement in Harry's health.  Severus was worried, but he put on a brave face for Harry.  McGonagal had left after breakfast and Poppy had soon arrived with Doctor Peterson in toe.

"How is our young Harry doing?" Doctor Peterson asked.

"There has been no improvement," Severus said.  Severus led the doctor and nurse up to Harry's room and Doctor Peterson walked over to Harry's bed.

"May I take some blood?" doctor Peterson asked.  Severus nodded.  The doctor took a syringe out of his medical bag, and after making sure all of the air was out of it, he slowly punctured Harry's arm and withdrew the blood.  After getting the amount he needed, the doctor handed the vial of blood to Madam Pomfrey.

“I figure that it would be faster for you to get the test results since you have magical means,” Doctor Peterson said.  The nurse smiled and waved her wand over the vial.  Within seconds numbers appeared, and both Doctor Peterson and Poppy frowned at the results.

“I’m afraid Severus that there isn’t much we can do for Mr. Potter any longer,” Madam Pomfrey said.

“The cancer has spread into his blood stream, and his immune system is no longer fighting back.  Unless you have some kind of miracle, Harry will be dead within the next day or so,” the nurse said.  Severus glanced at Harry then at the healer and doctor, and he felt his anger build.

“Harry Potter will not die,” Severus said.  He turned on his heal, his billowing black robes fanning out around him, and ran down the hall to his lab where he slammed the door and began feverishly looking for a cure.  He wouldn’t stop until he found one.