Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
The author would like to comment please don't kill. *hiding under rock*
The End Has Come

It was over. At long last the battle had ended, Voldemort terror of both Muggles and Wizards alike was dead. Harry James Potter stood on the battlefield, his wand in one hand and the sword that had saved his life in the other, stained with the blood of his enemy. His green eyes were empty as he stared at the body that haunted so many of his nightmares, his own blood dripping from wounds over his body onto the ground. He was still having trouble believing it. Believing that he, a seventeen year old man had managed to at last once and for all defeated him.

It was over…he thought as his hand loosened the death grip he had on the sword. It fell to the ground, the sound ringing over the silence. His eyes still on the body he took a stumbling step towards it. People would fear him now, because he was the most powerful wizard. Another step…perhaps he would die here…a legend…the one who defeated what was believed to not be able to be defeated. Another one…closer to the body of the man who had taken so much from him. Was he going to end up just like him if he lived? Would the power he had corrupt him? After all at one point Tom Riddle was a good person before…before he opened the chamber of secrets before he let power grip his mind, back when he was a small child…Harry knew he had been a good person. He had deserved better, and Harry wished there could be a second chance, because he swore in those snake eyes the moment before his sword pierced his heart, there was a spec of what Dumbledore had seen in the boy. I refuse to become what he was! His mind screamed as he felt his body slowly growing heavy. He knew…because he had trained himself in first aid, that he was slowly bleeding to death, but only the few remaining live death eaters knew where he was. Which again, was just as well. He felt his wand slip from limp figures and his knees buckle. He fell forward only a few steps away from his counterpart…his dark demon that could see what Harry could’ve become had he thirsted for power. His eyes closed…a smile played on his lips. He was at peace…with that thought in his head he fell into unconsciousness while his life trickled away.

Someone was saying something to him. He could hear, a far off voice saying his name over and over again. He tried to ignore the voice, but it became more firm, calling him back from the silence he had been in. opening his eyes slowly he met coal black ones.

“Welcome back Potter, I trust you’ll stay with us this time?” the voice sneered. Harry frowned…he was supposed to be dead wasn’t he? The man sneered obviously seeing the confusion in his eyes. “Did you honestly think…that you were going to be allowed to die there?” he snapped. Harry started to close his eyes but stopped when Snape growled at him. “Don’t you dare Potter, I didn’t drag your body from that field of death and tend your wounds just so you could give up now!”

Harry fought to keep his eyes open. Snape…what was Snape doing there…he thought confused as he heard a buzzing in his ears. Cursing Snape reached for something out of sight, a moment later he hauled Harry upright pushing a cup to his lips.

“Drink.” He commanded. Harry slowly took a sip and coughed forcing Snape to hold him up more. He refused to let Harry back down until the cup was completely empty. Once it was gently he let Harry drop back onto the bed setting the empty cup somewhere near by. Harry sighed as the buzzing stopped he kept his eyes on Snape’s face.

“Why?” he croaked out in a hoarse voice.

“Because I did. Now rest.” Snape said watching as Harry slowly closed his eyes.

“How many died?” He asked. Snape shook his head.

“Potter sleep!” Snape snapped and glared when Harry smiled at him weakly.

“Missed you too you git.” Then he was out…

………………………………………………………………………………………………

Harry opened his eyes again, the room was dark and all around him it was a silent as a grave yard. He tried to sit up and panicked when he found he couldn’t, he also couldn’t feel his legs. Raising a hand he stared at it. It was covered in deep cuts that had obviously been healing for some time. His eyes searched in the darkness for any way out of the room his heart beating fast in his chest. He could remember Snape but maybe it hadn’t been Snape it could have been a Death Eater! From somewhere a door opened letting light spill in, then Snape swept into the room, wearing black jeans and a black sweater, his hair, Harry realized had gotten long and was in a pony tail. The man didn’t say a word just walked to Harry and rested a hand on his shoulder.

“Potter you need to calm down.” He spoke softly as if trying not to cause too much noise. Harry shrunk away from the hand his eyes wide. “Potter do not make me force a calming draught down your throat, because we both know I would, and would enjoy it!”

Harry calmed down instantly, only the real Snape could ever perfect that tone of voice.

“Why?” he asked again, this time hoping for a better answer than the first he had been given. Why would Severus Snape go out of his way to save his most hated student.

“Potter…” Snape sighed, “I promise to answer your question but not now, you need to recover more first.” Snape rested a hand on Harry’s forehead and Harry frowned at the touch, it felt odd, he never had anyone really do it before…his eyes drifted closed slowly, but he could still feel Snape’s hand on his forehead as if the man’s touch alone was lulling him back to sleep.

Snape watched silently as the tension drifted from Harry’s body. He only removed his hand once he was sure the boy was deeply in sleep. Stupid Gryffindor … foolish… immature…rash…he thought to himself as he fixed the blankets. He didn’t need for Potter to get ill as well. He frowned down at what he still considered his student. To do what he had done…and on his own…Snape shook his head, and straightened walking towards the door pausing in the doorway to stare at the still form on the bed. Stupid Gryffindor Bravery…and stupid ‘Harry’ self sacrificing attitude. He shook his head, the boy had…the image from when Harry had stood in front of all the students and staff directly before he vanished was still etched in his mind. Harry hadn’t looked at his friends, nor the teachers who held him still as Golden Boy. No his eyes were on all those who hated him, or blamed him for events that had taken place. He stood tall, Gryffindor sword in hand telling everyone not to leave the safety of Hogwarts. To trust him…begged them in fact…as Snape recalled. The boy had begged them to trust him enough to stay within the walls of Hogwarts. His green eyes had been shadowed as if he already knew what was going to take place the minute he left the Great Hall. But still he begged, he pleaded, Gryffindor’s Pride, Dumbledore’s Golden Boy begged with all in Hogwarts.

And then those green eyes sought out his…Snape shuddered…there had been an apology in them…as if he had been saying ‘I am so sorry for my father…for any wrong I have done personally to you…’ and somehow Snape knew the boy did not plan on surviving. He accepted the weight of the entire world on his young shoulders, and didn’t run, instead he took the challenge in both hands and fought…he had fought alone too. Quickly Snape turned off his own memories, he didn’t have time to dwell on the yesterdays he had to make sure Potter survived. So that he could beat him senseless for running off on his own. He shook his head at the figure again and left the room quietly. He had potions he needed to brew if Potter…no Harry was going to survive…

Three days earlier

“Come on Harry, we have to evacuate with everyone else.” Ron said tugging at his best friend’s hand. Harry glanced around the great hall, everyone was getting ready to leave, to return to their homes…and possibly die there…Harry thought glancing at Ron, and Ron would too. He shook his head and laid a hand on his friend’s hand.

“Ron give me a second okay?” he said forcing a smile on his face. Dumbledore would understand why Harry had to do what he intended to do, and he would give him what he needed to fight. Harry was sure of it. Ron laughed running a hand through his hair, the ring on his finger glinted…another reason…Harry thought, another reason he had to succeed no matter the cost.

“Okay, but hurry up, ‘Mione is coming to stay with me, and so are you! You promised.” The red head said, stressing the word ‘promised’. Harry offered him a smile, one that he had learned to place on his face in times of pain.

“I know, just a second, I want to talk to Professor Dumbledore.” Harry said and finally got a nod from Ron. He jogged up to where the Headmaster sat, in the seat he had been in, for all seven years Harry had known him. The old man raised his eyes meeting Harry’s, and in them Harry saw knowledge and understanding.

“Harry my dear boy…” Dumbledore began.

“Headmaster it’s what I have to do…”Harry said cutting him off, Dumbledore’s eyes took on a look of sadness.

“Then there really isn’t another way?” he asked. Harry shook his head.

“Not another way I am willing to take.” Harry said firmly. Dumbledore hung his head, and reached down beside his chair. He held the sword Harry used in his second year towards him.

“Harry…” he began as Harry gently took the sword from him, the teen shook his head.

“It’s okay Headmaster…this is the way I want it…” he glanced at the students in the great hall and then back at the headmaster.

“I can’t ask it of them…they want to be with their families if…” the headmaster sighed trailing off.

“Then I will.” Harry said shocking the headmaster to stare at him, Harry tightened his grip on the sword his eyes boring into Dumbledore. Finally the headmaster stood. The one movement had students silencing. All eyes turned towards him.

“If I could have a moment of your time…” he began, Harry let the sound of his voice wash away the uncertainty and turned to face his fellow classmates, and professors. His eyes briefly swept over those he called friends to those whom he knew hated his presence. He stared at the Slytherins’…mostly.

“Actually it’s me who needs a moment of your time.” He said loudly, several mutters went up, the Ravenclaws looked at him with measuring eyes. “I’m asking all of you…to stay here in the safety of Hogwarts.” He said boldly. And as he thought a yell went up, they were angry, they wanted to be with their families.

“Please listen to me!” Harry yelled gripping the sword tighter, a pain tightened around his heart as they quieted down. He took a breath to steady himself. Then he surprised everyone by going down on his knees. “I’m not telling you…and I won’t ask you…but I am begging you! Please trust me! I won’t let anyone else suffer a loss. Trust me!” he begged. He expected to see smirks on some of the faces that now stared in shock at him. He stood slowly shaking his head.

“I’m begging you…trust me…trust me this one time, you don’t have to like me, or even care what I say. All I ask is that you trust me…trust me please!” He shouted his eyes wide and searching, his eyes sought out the potions master who stood near his Slytherins’. Black eyes stared back into him. Harry didn’t move his eyes but pleaded silently with the man…Please…he thought, please understand what I am not saying! His mind screamed at the scornful man. A moment later his eyes left Snape to survey the whole school. “Stay in the safety of Hogwarts…I promise…I promise that it is going to be over, and going to be over for good.” he said softly and stepped off from where the staff’s table was. He walked straight down the aisle between the tables. He didn’t look left, nor did he look right but he turned his eyes once again at Snape and watched as a flicker of realization hit the man’s eyes. He knows…Harry thought quickening his pace as the potions master began to walk towards him. He knows what I am doing now…Harry paused his back to everyone taking out his wand he held it in his left hand, the sword in his right another moment and Snape would be on him. He closed his eyes and braced himself…and with a loud pop Harry Potter had left Hogwarts…

Harry opened his eyes. He stared at the plain steel gray ceiling. His body ached, and his head was pounding. He closed his eyes…he wasn’t alive…he couldn’t be…he was dying on that battlefield. So he had to be dead! The door opened and he saw Snape again walking in a tray in his hands, he paused and studied the look on Harry’s face.

“I didn’t take you for that much of an idiot, your alive very much so.” The man said, he was still wearing the same black pants and sweater, only the sleeves were rolled up. He walked to the bed and set the tray on the table beside it.

“H…” Harry began but shut his mouth when Snape glared at him. The man hauled him upright again pushing a few pillows behind him to keep him upright. “You’re never going to let me ask any questions are you?” Harry said sighing. Snape grabbed a glass that looked like it had a thick rubber like substance in it. Snape held the glass to his lips.

“Drink.” He snapped. Harry closed his eyes and let Snape tip the substance down his throat. He struggled not to gag and only had to once. Which he got a growl from Snape for doing so. Once the glass was empty Snape set it aside and busied himself mixing something on the tray.

“Stupid…idiot…teach…a lesson…” he heard Snape muttering underneath his breath. Harry smiled, the potions professor hadn’t changed in the slightest…its only been three…no probably more than that…Harry cast a glance at Snape who paused.

“What is it Potter?” he said between his teeth.

“How long?” Harry said in a rushed breath least Snape try and stop his question again. Snape watched his face considering.

“Five days, three from when you vanished Hogwarts, and you have been here two days already. And before you ask where is here, I am not telling you.” He said and went back to what he had been doing. A moment later he had a clear glass in his hands he pressed it to Harry’s lips and Harry drank not waiting to be told. He was afraid…afraid to ask how many had listened and remained at Hogwarts…Snape set the second empty glass on the tray and lifted Harry back up arranging the pillows so he could sit more upright on them.

“Why are you…”

“Potter! Stop asking that! Until you’re able to gain 10lbs I will not tell you.” Snape said seriously.

“10lbs that’s ridiculous you act like I am underweight, and what does my weight have to do with you answering my question!” Harry snapped at him, his weakness and confusion fraying his nerves. Snape glared at him and sneered.

“Of course not, whatever gave you that thought. I just want you overweight! And it has everything to do with simply because I say so. End on conversation, now let’s see if we can get your stomach to handle some soup.” Snape said in a strained voice.

“I don’t need to gain 10lbs!” Harry hissed.

“No never Potter. It’s just my imagination that you are always needlessly underweight. So once you gain 10lbs I will let you know why I saved your ungrateful life.” Snape growled in anger.

“This is so ridiculous! How the hell did you know where I was!” Harry shouted. As Snape placed a bowl of soup in his lap and spooned some up making a move to actually feed to Harry. Harry jerked his head away, unable to stomach being fed like a baby by Snape.

“Potter! Eat!” Snape snapped his patience wearing preciously thin. Harry struggled to move his arms to fold them as he glared at Snape but all he managed to get was his arm to jerk. Snape stared at the arm then raised his eyes to Harry trying to reason with him.

“Potter, see you aren’t strong enough. You need food. Eat your soup, and get some more rest. I’ll have more potions for you later.” He said forcing his voice to sound less gruff than normal.

"Why don’t you take your soup and your potions and shove it!" Harry screamed. He was unnerved by his weakness.

“P-O-T-T-E-R! That’s it. You lost a lot of blood, used to much magic, and suffered a great deal of wounds. If you don’t eat then the longer it’ll take for you to heal, however, if you keep this up I will shove a sleeping potion down your throat.” Snape threatened and when Harry’s eyes burned at him he added to it, “Then, I will hook a feedtube up to you and will feed you that way. When you next wake I will give you our potions and make you sleep again, until you learned how to control your temper!”

“Why the hell does it matter! All I want is a stupid answer that you refuse to give!” Harry yelled.

“Because you don’t need to know right now! I am getting tired of yelling and screaming, and this isn’t going to help you. You have a choice. Eat, or sleep. When I deem it your right to finally know answers I will give them. This is not up to discussion.” Snape said quietly. Harry glared at him more his anger simmering.

“I am controlling my temper I’m not blowing anything up am I?!” He pointed out. Snape rolled his eyes heavenwards.

“Just because you aren’t blowing things up does not mean you have control over your temper. You probably aren’t blowing anything up because you’ve exhausted your magic for the time.” Snape pointed out and from the look on Harry’s face, he knew his suspicions were true. “I won’t ask you what happened on that field Potter…not yet at least, because I would much rather you behave and regain your strength.” He watched as Harry paled at the mention of the battlefield. He wanted badly to shake the boy, yell at him for being so stupid. So utterly…Snape wanted to say childish but what child ran off to fight a hopeless battle on their own?

“I had to…” Harry began but stopped himself, Snape, curse him, was right he didn’t have the strength. He shouldered his pride and allowed Snape to begin to feed him. He swallowed his pride more as Snape finished and readjusted the pillows so he was lying down again. He watched as Snape gathered the dishes back onto the tray.

“Go back to sleep.” Snape commanded, Harry closed his eyes pretending to do so, he needed to clear his head, time to think to remember, his memories were still fuzzy. He heard Snape leave the room and opened his eyes again, slowly he began to try to push past the blurred edges in his mind. He remembered searching, and then knowing that the battle would take place in the same area where Voldemort had regained his body. It was his turf. So he had gone, picturing the area with his mind. There were Death Eaters, more than he had thought there would be. All intent on killing him…and earning favor with their lord. He remembered the very first person that had rushed at him…it had been…he struggled as the face swarmed back into his mind. Wormtail…precious Peter Petitgrew who had stolen his godfather from him years ago. He hadn’t gotten a chance to raise his wand, so he had raised the sword in defense…Harry gagged remembering the blood that fell from the fat man’s body…it had covered him…

He began to shake as he remembered being rushed by five death eaters, not even being given a chance to come to terms that he had just killed. He had fought, throwing magic at those far enough away and…his breath hitched…and those that had gotten to close he had fought with the sword. He had to get to Voldemort, cut off the leaders head and maybe…just maybe they would retreat…the shaking increased and he bit back a cry. He thought he remembered hearing that sick laughing voice as he cut his way through Death Eaters…he couldn’t let any that attacked him live, because even injured they still got up to fight him. How many lives had he taken…probably close to what Voldemort himself had taken…He struggled managing to push himself up on weak arms. His chest tightened. He couldn’t remember…he couldn’t remember the actual battle with Voldemort himself.

He jumped as the door opened and Snape entered slowly.

“Potter what are you doing?” He demanded.

“I…well….I…” Harry said shaking. Snape sighed and walked to him.

“Go to sleep Potter, if I have to tell one more time….you will not like what I do.” Snape said, Harry shook his head. He raised a shaking hand and stared at it.

“It should be blood stained…” he whispered staring at it. “There was so much blood…” he said closing his eyes clenching his hand into a fist. Snape stared down at him silently, so much damage…he thought grimly…so much damage that could’ve been prevented if the boy had been stopped. Harry took a deep breath and to Snape’s surprise he stopped shaking he opened his eyes and Snape could see that he had buried the weakness deep within. “Sorry…” Harry said. Snape frowned.

“Go to sleep Potter.” He said, Harry titled his head up towards him, the same question that he had been asking in his eyes again. Snape shook his head and knocked down the one arm Harry had been leaning against. The teen fell back against the pillows and stared up at the older man. “I told you not yet.” He said and silently left the room, if Potter didn’t going to sleep this time then he was going to have to use a sleeping potion. He didn’t want to have to resort to that, seeing as he planned on spiking Harry’s food with it when he was stronger to ensure the teen actually not over do it.

Harry sighed and closed his eyes…maybe Snape was right maybe he should rest more. But he swore to himself when he woke up next, Snape was going to answer him!

Chapter End Notes:
*still hiding under rock* Please Review.