Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry it took me so long to get a new chapter up. Thanks for continuing to read!

I love you guys.
Chapter 19 - Dizzy

"No tea," Luna said as she perched on Hagrid's huge footstool. "I just ate."

"I see," Hagrid said. "Well, at least Harry can always use a cuppa."

"What?" Harry stood in the middle of the dim room, wondering if he could make a run for the door. "Oh, no tea."

"Nonsense," Hagrid shook his great head. "Just want a growing boy needs."

With one great hand, he pushed Harry back into the enormous armchair before hiking to the table to prepare tea.

"If I'm having tea, you have to, too," Harry hissed at Luna. "We haven't had lunch yet so you didn't just eat."

She smiled serenely. "I suppose I could have a small cup."

Hagrid got them cup of blackish tea, and Harry held it gingerly, unsure whether to look inside or just plug his nose up and start gulping it down.

Luna took a sip. The calm expression on her face did not change as she said, "Thank you, Hagrid. It's delicious."

Irritated, Harry said, "Hagird, I want to go to Diagon Alley over New Years, but Snape says no. What do you say?"

Hagrid frowned at the bowl of cubed sugar with a large spoon sticking out. He picked up the spoon handle, and the sugar and bowl came along with it, the whole thing sticking together. "Don't see that my opinion is much good here, but I think I'd agree with Snape."

"Big surprise there," Harry grumbled.

"Ah, we know what's good for you. Let me get you some sugar to sweeten your tea," Hagrid began beating at the sugar bowl with one end of his rolling pin. The sugar began breaking off in chunks, but so did the bowl.

Harry did not see how bits of broken pottery in his tea would be good for him, but he couldn't say that or he would hurt Hagrid's feelings.

"Besides Professor Snape only wants to keep you safe," Hagrid continued. "He's been a mite worried about you lately."

"He's always worried about something," Harry rolled his eyes. "I can't do anything these days without him pitching into me."

"No, we've all been telling him he can't drag himself around, worrying himself nigh to death, always asking after you and fretting over you -"

"I'm not helpless," Harry objected. "I've fought Voldemort countless times and won."

"And always ended up in hospital wing with Madame Pomfrey bringing you back from the brink of death."

"That's a big exaggeration," Harry protested. "I might have been a bit rough up, but I wasn't ever on the brink of death. Well, maybe, once or twice . . ." Harry trailed off uncertainly and took a sip of tea. It was rather nasty, reminding him of the awful potions Snape's forced down his throats frequently.

Hagrid gave up on the sugar and took a seat by the fire. "How are classes going for the two of you?"

"I'm enjoying them," Luna said with a half smile. "But then I enjoy most of everything. Except liver. I don't like liver." She pulled her face up into grimace.

Harry grinned. She would drink the awful tea and not say a word, but she hated liver enough to make faces.

They stayed at Hagrid's for over an hour, relaxing, laughing, and drinking more tea that actually got better more the more they downed.

When they finally left, snow had covered the ground, turning the ugly brown ground and jagged rocky landscape into a winter-wonderland. Harry gazed out at the sparkling snow and let his breath out, a white puff of air appearing and disappearing.

"It's beautiful," Luna smiled.

"And cold," Harry smiled. "We got to get back and inside. At least you brought a jumper."

"Are you really only wearing a long-sleeved shirt?" Luna shook her head as they started hurrying up the snowy hillside. "It is November now."

"I know that," Harry groused.

"I think - whoa!" Luna flailed her arms out to catch her balance as she slipped on a slippery step.

Harry reached out and grabbed her arm, holding her steady.

"My," Luna looked him, "you are strong."

Harry wanted to say thanks and then tell her that he had been exercising and training lately, but instead he blushed. He stood there on the icy steps in the middle of all the snow, staring into Luna's bright eyes and blushing all red.

"We should go," Luna motioned towards the castle. "I may be wearing extra layers, but my hands are freezing."

They went up a few more steps and then Harry reached out to hold Luna's hand. "Don't want you to slip again," he said awkwardly.

Luna said nothing, but she tightened her small hand around Harry's.

By the time they reached the castle, Harry was freezing, but he felt warn inside as he kept holding Luna's hand. She said something about needing to go find a teacher, and Harry stood, unsure if he should say something or walk away or even give into his impulses and lean forward to kiss her.

She squeezed his hand tight and turned away.

Harry grinned like a maniac as he started down towards the dungeon. He was still grinning when he entered Snape's office.

"Back I see," Snape was sitting at his desk with a book. "Hope your little tantrum is over."

"What? Oh, sure," Harry said, not even remembering what they had fought about.

"You're shaking," Snape noted. "My word, your lips are blue. Were you outside without a coat?"

"Hmm? Yeah I guess," Harry went to stand by the fire. "It snowed, too."

Snape tightened his mouth into a straight line, furious, but then he shook his head. "No, no, I'm not going to say anything. You're sixteen now. That's old enough to remember your own coat."

"Good, then you don't have to say anything more," Harry replied.

He smiled inside at the expression on the man's face; he knew Snape could not resist telling him off when he did something wrong. To goad Snape further, Harry hugged his arms tight to his chest and shivered.

"Oooo, hope I don't catch pneumonia. I can't feel my fingers . . . or my toes . . . my lips are numb, too. My whole body's going numb." Harry coughed, completely fake, but he pushed the air of his lungs hard enough for it to sound like a deep hack. "I'm a little dizzy, too. But I'm warming up now - must be the fever. What's wrong, Dad? Still nothing to say?"

Snape had his teeth clenched together so hard Harry was sure he was in pain.

"Ah, well," Harry felt extra brave and snarky, "I guess I'll have to tell Madame Pomfrey that you let me run in the snow without a coat. In fact, I'm going to tell her that you make me train in the snow in only my shorts."

That apparently was the last straw as Snape threw down his book and stood, shoving his chair back. "Come here and I'll show you what I'll make you do."

"Ha!" Harry left the fire to run around the other side of the sofa. He wavered back and forth, watching Snape to see which way he would go.

"Stop playing around," Snape ordered.

"Stop chasing me," Harry retorted.

The next two minutes were spent with Harry running and ducking around the room while Snape chased him and hollered for him to stop fooling about.

When Snape finally caught him (Harry tripped over the corner of the rug or he could have kept the game up for longer), Snape pulled his ear which didn't hurt too much because it was still cold and numb. And then Snape sent him to stand by the fire to warm up for ten minutes before beginning a very long, very exhausting training session.

Harry would have objected, but he was too eager to have an outlet for all the feelings inside so he went along without complaint. He wasn't sure how he felt about Luna and he did not ever want to tell Snape about it because Snape would either rib him about it mercilessly or sit him down for a discussion about girls. Both outcomes were awful in Harry's opinion, and so he threw himself into his exercises with such energy that Snape told him to tone his enthusiasm down.

Later that night as he lay in bed in the boys' dorm, Harry stared up at the dark ceiling and thought about Luna. He thought about Hermione, about Cho, about Ginny, about Parvati and Padma, about Tonks, about all the girls he knew. He didn't understand the way he felt about any of them. Why? Why did life have to be so complicated?

Harry finally turned on his side and forced himself to fall asleep. And he found himself in a bizarre dream where he was trapped in the Great Hall wearing only his undershorts and the whole Hall was filled with girls who laughed and pointed and teased. He ran and ran but he could not escape those hundreds of girls.

------

Harry could hear his friends talking as he rounded the corner.

"So it's agreed," Hermione said. "We don't talk about New Years."

"Snape still might let him go," Draco objected.

"Get real, Malfoy," Ron retorted. "The only way Harry's going is if he sneaks out."

"No, Ron," Hermione said sharply. "You are not going to suggest it. All three of you, don't give Harry any such idea. And you better listen to me because I have dirt on all of you that I could use to get you in terrible trouble."

"You got nothing on me, Granger," Draco scoffed.

"What did I do wrong?" Worty asked timidly.

"Just don't give Harry any ideas," Hermione insisted.

Harry had stopped on the other side of the corner to listen, but he banged his shoes loudly on the stone to let them know he was coming.

"Hey," he said as he rounded the bend.

"Hi, we were just talking about Potions class," Hermione smiled, scooting over to make room for Harry. "Moretta was looking very strange today. She couldn't keep anything straight. She looked very nervous."

"Who cares about that hag?" Harry grumbled. "She's always poking around and messing things up."

"She's usually a very good teacher," Hermione said, but even she didn't sound convinced.

"Hermione's skeptical of a teacher," Ron observed. "This means that she's going to try to kill us all by the end of the year."

"Not all of us," Draco grinned. "Just Harry."

"Thanks a lot," Harry muttered.

Worty looked around, worried. "Why would she try to kill Harry?"

"Because sooner or later, the bad teachers try to get the hero of the wizarding world," Ron said.

"And when they don't get him, they go after other students," Draco said in a low, creepy voice, trying to scare Worty. "Every year, a student disappears by the end. And it's always a first year, usually from Slytherin because we have the best students. And they always go after the smallest and the weakest -"

"Knock it off," Harry ordered, shoving his shoulder into Draco.

"Don't push me," Draco pushed back just as hard.

That led to a shoving match in which Draco and Harry eventually ended up on the floor, trying to pin the other. Worty watched concerned, biting his lip, and Ron sighed with boredom.

"Boys, stop," Hermione ordered. When they ignored her, she took out her thick herbology book. "I mean it, stop right now or else."

"Not until I beat him," Harry grunted as he tried to hold Draco down.

"In your dreams," Draco panted.

"Oh!" frustrated, Hermione swatted Harry with her book right across the shoulders and then proceeded to give Draco a good thwack on the side of his hip.

"Ow! Hey, call your girl off," Draco ordered to Ron.

Ron had a goofy smile on his face as he realized that Hermione was indeed his girl.

A few more swats of the books, and Harry and Draco got up and sat down, slightly rumpled from their skirmish.

"Merlin, Potter," Draco frowned as he rubbed his arm, "when did you become such an ox?"

"Some of us train ourselves," Harry grinned. "Don't worry, Draco - you'll find some girl someday strong enough to protect both of you. Or a guy - either way you can keep your fine, delicate hands clean."

"That's it," Draco stood to rush at him again.

Hermione sighed and leaned against Ron. "Why are boys so stupid?" she sighed.

"Because there aren't enough women like you to civilize us," Ron said, kissing her cheek.

Obviously, Ron had learned a thing or two about talking to girls because Hermione shone with radiance and tucked herself tight against him, content to let Harry and Draco roll on the ground while she sat with her boyfriend. Worty, with no one to sit beside, jumped off his seat and landed on top of Harry and Draco, probably in hopes to stop the fight.

Rather than stopping fighting, they pulled him into the wrestling. There was lots of squirming and pushing until Harry got Worty slung over one shoulder and stood up. He began spinning around while Worty clung on dizzily and Draco laughed. When Harry finally set Worty down, the poor boy was so dizzy he couldn't even stand up straight.

"He's going to be sick," Hermione disapproved, but she had no intention of leaving Ron's side.

"He's got ten seconds to balance himself," Draco decided. "Then I'm taking him for a bit of a spin."

"No!" Worty squealed, but Draco had already thrown him over one shoulder and let him hang there squealing and begging to get down.

"A few turns," Harry permitted as he sat down.

"You boys are barbaric," Hermione shook her head prissily.

"I know," Harry replied. "Watch out, Draco - he looks like he's about to throw up. No? Well, spin him a few more times."

------

The next few weeks flew by with lots of tests and class work. Harry thought he could have gotten by all right with the work, but Snape sat him down on a Saturday early in December for a talk.

"About your marks," Snape began, very seriously.

"They're all right," Harry shrugged. "All the studying in the summer really paid off. Can I have a biscuit?"

"No, not right now. I've spoken to all your teachers about your class standing. They were very honest with me."

"Don't listen to Moretta," Harry insisted. "She has it out for me. Can I have some tea?"

"No, just listen. I'm getting all your tests back the moment your teachers are finished grading, which means I will get to see your marks before the holidays while other students have to wait until after."

"Excellent," Harry nodded along. He had an idea that Snape was about to say something upsetting, and Harry hoped if he was only half-listening that the news would not be quite as bad.

"I want perfect marks from you," Snape insisted. "Highest marks. Anything too low, and you'll be in trouble."

So half-listening did not help. Harry glared at Snape. "What trouble trouble? Like lecture trouble or bad trouble?"

"What do you think?" Snape evenly met his gaze.

"That's unfair! I get a few bad marks and you take it out on my arse?"

"Harry," Snape warned. "Language."

"I thought I got that for lying and running away and putting myself in danger, not school marks," Harry objected.

"I want you focused," Snape pointed a finger at him. "And if a little threatening helps you study and not play about these next few days, so be it."

"You are not going to punish me for school grades," Harry insisted.

"Not if you make high ones," Snape returned. "Otherwise, it's over my desk you go."

Harry glowered and sulked for a moment before he said brashly, "Well, it's not going to happen because I'm making all good marks."

"See that you do," Snape replied.

"And if I can't go with everyone to New Years, I want to have a good Christmas - it's only fair."

Snape grimaced slightly. "What did you have in a mind?"

Harry felt a bit of satisfaction at having turned the tables.

"Presents," he said. "Lots of presents. We give some to the house elves as well. And decorations. A tree, and garland, and wreaths, and holly, and bright lights, and lots of food, and music. I want music. A Christmas to end all Christmases."

Snape looked like he had a sour stomach. "Really? Wouldn't you rather have a quiet Christmas?"

"Do you want to dress up as Father Christmas?" Harry challenged.

"Fine, an overdone Christmas," Snape promised. "But only if you get those good marks. Otherwise you'll spend Christmas miserable and present-less."

"And if I get good marks, we're hanging stockings up Christmas Eve."

Snape sneered, but finally said, "Agreed."

"Good," Harry smiled as he reached for a stack of books and settled down by the fire for long evening of reading.

In the end, it turned out a good thing that Snape had threatened him because the closer the first term test got, the less Harry felt compelled to study. He wanted nothing more than to sit with his friend and eat sweets and drink tea while everyone talked. He also found ways to meet Luna at odd times in the day and talk to her about nothing really, but he felt the day was a waste unless he saw Luna at least twice.

They even went up to the owlery once for Harry to spend some time with Hedwig. Luna petted some of the owls and none of them dared try to bite her fingers. Harry had fixed them all with a stern gaze when they first came in, an unspoken promise to wring the neck of any bird being mean to Luna. As a result, she stroked their downy feathers without any trouble.

Along with studying, friends, and Luna, Snape worked him mercilessly, increasing his training sessions by half an hour. Harry was so tired he barely had energy to conduct the DA meetings so he left Ron and Hermione take over most of the meetings while he sat on a side bench and commented every so often.

Oddly enough, the person he saw the most in his spare time was Draco. Draco seemed to find spare time to find him before class and after and before meals, and sometimes they talked. Other times they just hung out.

"I think I like Luna," Harry blurted out on evening when they had gone to the castle's highest tower to look out at all the snow.

"Brilliant," Draco had responded. "You think if I threw this rock hard enough it would land on the lake?"

"You don't have anything more to say?" Harry looked at him in surprise.

"No, if you like her, you like her. She's a ditzy blond with mush for brains and a gaze like she's been hit with a club right across the forehead, but your choice, mate."

Harry glared at him. "You think if I threw you hard enough you'd land on the lake?"

"Like whoever you like," Draco shrugged. "But seriously, are you coming to New Years?"

"You know I can't."

"No, I know you said Snape said no, but we both know if you really wanted to go, not even Snape could stop you."

"Snape really doesn't want me to go," Harry protested, but his voice sounded weak in the cold air.

"Watcha going to do, Potter?" Draco challenged. "You're going to stay at home and mind like a good little boy? Or you're going be a man and do what you want to do?"

"Snape will tear me apart," Harry shook his head. "Honestly, he'll whip me so hard I won't recover until spring."

"Then you have to decide," Draco smirked. "Is it worth the agony to have a little fun?"

That was the question, all right. Harry had no answer.

And a week later as he packed to leave Hogwarts for Snapdragon Manor, he still had no answer.