Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 10 - Hostility, House-elves, and Headmasters

Number twelve, Grimmauld Place was connected to the floo network. Harry should know; he’d spoken to Sirius through it. There weren’t anti-Apparition wards on the old house, if George’s and Fred’s abilities to pop in and out of rooms were any indication. Finally, if a Portkey failed, there was always the Knight Bus to drop one off if they had been told the location by Dumbledore. Surprisingly accessible, Harry thought, for being so untraceable.

So…if it was so accessible, then why were they walking?

Harry plodded another foot in front of the other, his dark mood growing steadily worse. He wouldn’t even have minded being surrounded by the four adults – Remus and Pomfrey in front, Snape and Moody taking up the rear – if it hadn’t been for the fact that he’d really like to avoid every single one of them. He was getting sick and tired of the worrying looks Remus was shooting over his shoulder every so often. Moody was just as antsy, though not about Harry. About every ten minutes, he would make them all stop to do a thorough sweep of the area. No one seemed too happy about that, come to think of it; they all looked pretty tired of walking by now.

Especially Snape. He hadn’t said a word – to anybody – since they’d emerged from the room to continue on to headquarters. His hair slid forward to hide the sides of his face from view, but a glance back from Harry had revealed just enough of his face to convince Harry to walk a little faster. Bad mood was a definite understatement to describe the dangerous look in Snape’s eyes.

And then there was Pomfrey. To tell the truth, she hadn’t really done anything outright irritating since they’d left the cottage. She was visibly tired, like the others, but unlike the others, she seemed content to take in the healthy hike without complaint or sulking – not to mention, without her usual scolding manner. Harry decided to be annoyed at her anyway. That she would enjoy the walk when Harry was so miserable was more than just cause for annoyance in his moody mind.

“Stop here,” Remus finally called out, his hand held up to halt their steps.

Harry glanced up hopefully. Moody had stopped them all the other times. Maybe now they could use a Portkey or something.

“Harry.”  Remus motioned Harry over to him, then placed his hands on the boy’s shoulders as soon as he was close. With a brief glance at the others, he moved so that his body blocked Harry from their view, then lowered his face to look him in the eyes. “I am sending you ahead now,” he began, gaze intent, “to headquarters. I must help Moody see Madam Pomfrey to safety, and then Professor Snape and I will join you. Tell the Headmaster that –”

“We can’t send the boy alone, Lupin!” Moody’s voice interrupted over Remus’ shoulder, and Harry jumped a bit at his sudden close proximity. “Headquarters may have been compromised!”

“Since dawn?” Remus questioned lightly, eyebrows raised. “We now know why Voldemort’s attacks have been sporadic of late, Moody. His concentration is on other matters. Even if his focus were on us and not on Harry, I doubt he could have waged and won an attack on our untraceable and highly protected headquarters within the span of a few hours. Certainly not with Albus there.”

“We’re at war, Lupin. You assume too much,” Moody growled.

Madam Pomfrey piped up, “I’ve seen to Professor Snape’s injuries. Let him go with Potter while we –”

“No,” Remus answered quickly and emphatically, his fingers tightening slightly on Harry’s shoulders. He fixed an apologetic look on Madame Pomfrey. “My apologies for interrupting, Poppy. You see, the plan was for me to take Severus to headquarters only after seeing you and Moody safely to your floo departure point. Obviously, the plan didn’t include traipsing through a populated area with an easily recognizable Harry Potter in tow.” Here he shot another apologetic look, this time at Harry, before continuing, “Harry needs to leave us before we continue further. And while it may be dangerous for him to leave alone, for anyone to leave with him would be even more dangerous. Even a single magical transport outside the town could lead Death Eaters instantly here to investigate if they have discovered Harry missing from Privet Drive. Two or more and we may as well send up a beacon announcing our location.”

The others considered Remus’ words, and even Moody looked pretty well convinced, albeit reluctantly.

As for Harry, thoughts were now whirling through his head, and he couldn’t hold back the questions any longer.

“Is that why we couldn’t leave straight away from the cottage?” He directed his question toward Remus. “Because Voldemort might detect the magic and come find us?”

Remus looked reluctant to go into it, but he issued a brief nod.

“But Madam Pomfrey did magic there and no one came! Why would –”

“Really, Potter!” Snape’s dark scowl said plainly that he’d grown tired of silently watching the others waste precious time with talk. “If you want to learn magical theory, you might try paying attention in class once in a while! This is not the place or time for your inane questions.”

Lupin wasted no time in jumping to Harry’s defense, a slight coolness to his tone. “Let the boy alone, Severus. He’s done nothing to you.” He pulled Harry to his side - rather too close, in Harry’s annoyed opinion, and he tried to inch away from whatever battle was brewing between the two men.

“Let him alone?” Snape questioned, his lips drawn into a smirk, contrasting with his narrowed eyes. Unless Harry was mistaken, the man was amused. “Why, Lupin. You sound almost…noble,” he sneered.

“What would you know of nobility?” Remus calmly replied, though his hand tightened on Harry’s arm. Harry squirmed a bit, tugging to be let go, but Remus’ attention was still on Snape.

“It is highly overrated, for one,” was Snape’s scowled response. “Those who claim it are usually the least noble of us all.”

“So you’re a philosopher, now, Severus?”

Snape issued a mocking laugh in response. “Merely an observer, Remus. After all, it is your noble self who is manhandling the boy as we speak.”

Snape forgotten, Lupin brought his eyes round to Harry, still squirming to be let go, and all at once loosened his grip. “Harry, I’m sorry,” he rushed to say as Harry stepped away from him. “I…I didn’t hurt you, did I?” His eyes searched out Harry’s.

Harry rubbed his arm and opened his mouth to give Remus an earful, when he saw Remus’ face. The man looked genuinely distressed. Instead of his planned tongue lashing, Harry heard himself saying, “’Course not, Remus.” After all, Harry conceded, of all people, he knew the difference between acts of love and acts of hate. Only, for some reason, Remus was going overboard with the whole protectiveness thing today.

Remus looked uncertain still, so Harry stepped closer to him to show he didn’t harbor ill will. That seemed to work, for Remus issued him a small apologetic smile.

“For Merlin’s sake! Will you boys please stop being boys for two minutes at a time!” Madam Pomfrey was apparently through with being patient and content. She raised her voice, walking around and scolding each of the men in turn. “Need I remind you that while I may have seen to their immediate injuries, Mr. Potter and Professor Snape are both in need of rest, not to mention a proper meal? They will not be getting any of that out here in the forest!”

She crossed over to Harry then, shooing him down the path. He hurriedly complied, somehow more worried more about the consequences of disobeying her than he usually was with Snape – which was saying a lot.

“Hold up, Harry!” Lupin called from behind him only a minute later, somewhat breathless from trying to catch up to them. “You can leave from where you are.”

Moody followed, issuing his now familiar dark mutterings about danger and folly and sticking to formation.

“Here, Harry,” Lupin handed him a small cup from the pocket of his robes, which Harry accepted. “This Portkey will take you to headquarters upon activation. The headmaster should be there awaiting my arrival with Professor Snape. Tell him that we’ll be taking an alternate route shortly.”

Harry stared at the simple clay cup in his hands. “Wait…you had this the whole time? If you’re letting me use this now, why couldn’t I use this earlier? Why –”

“Potter!” Snape bit out, fully ready to deride him once more.

But Snape’s almost-rant was cut short by Remus loudly continuing his explanation, “Feel free to talk to the headmaster about any recent or troubling events that might be on your mind.” Remus spared a swift, pointed glance at Snape, which was ignored.

Snape did suddenly look as though he’d remembered something, however, as he reached into Dudley’s trouser pocket for his rolled up tube of parchment. He studied Harry for a moment before walking over to him and holding it out.

Harry hesitated.

“Take it, Potter,” Snape snapped. “It’s for the Headmaster. Give it to him to review before we arrive.”

Harry took it, careful not to touch Snape’s hand. He’d already had more than enough physical contact with the man for one day.

“Alright then, Harry,” Remus nodded and gave him an encouraging smile. “Read the inscription inside the cup backwards.”

Harry nodded, eager to escape the many layers of hostility running through this group - even if it did mean explaining his sudden appearance to Dumbledore.

He read the simple inscription. Straw? Harry sounded it out backwards, “W…a…r…t…s. Warts!” He exclaimed, and Remus’ smile was the last image Harry saw before he was pulled away and tumbled head over feet into a dimly lit room he recognized as the drawing room of number twelve, Grimmauld Place.

He stumbled to his knees to take it in, when all at once he was knocked back down by a small colorful projectile launched right into his stomach.

“Oof! Gerrof me!” He was flat on his back, his voice muffled by something bright and fuzzy covering his face.

The small projectile started to talk in a high, squeaky voice, “Harry Potter! It is Harry Potter, come to see Dobby! Dobby is so happy to see you, Harry Potter, sir!”

“Dobby?” Harry was finally able to raise an arm, plucking a pink and yellow knitted hat from his face. He blew a few pieces of fuzz from between his lips. “What are you doing here?”

Dobby bounced aside to let Harry get to his feet, his own small stocking-covered feet hopping with excitement. “Professor Dumbledore asked Dobby to stay here for the summer, sir, he knows he can trust Dobby. I is loyal to Harry Potter and will help his friends, sir.”

“But…what about Kreacher?” Harry asked darkly, his hostility toward Sirius’ treacherous old house-elf flooding back to him.

Dobby’s ears fell, his tennis ball-sized eyes open wide. “Dobby is hearing Kreacher betrayed Harry Potter’s friends. Kreacher is being a bad house-elf. Professor Dumbledore sent him away, Dobby knows not where.”

“Oh.” Harry felt relief at not having to see Kreacher, even if he had been denied the opportunity to take out his rage properly.

“Professor Dumbledore told Dobby to wait here for Professor Snape. Dobby was not being excited to see Professor Snape, sir.” The little house-elf’s ears dropped even lower before they raised and his face brightened as he exclaimed, “But Harry Potter came instead! And Dobby is very happy now!”

Harry grinned. “Thanks, Dobby.”

“Yes,” came a voice from the doorway, “thank you, Dobby, for seeing to our surprise visitor.”

Harry slowly raised his eyes to take in Albus Dumbledore, worried about what reception he would find. The aged wizard’s neutral face didn’t show anger…but his eyes weren’t exactly twinkling, either. “Dobby, would you be so kind as to prepare a room for Harry? It appears as though he may be staying the night.”

Dobby let out a squeak at that. “Dobby is happy to be helping Harry Potter, sir! Dobby is hoping Harry Potter stays many, many nights, sir!” And with a crack, he disappeared from the room.

Harry lowered his eyes to the carpet as the full weight of Dumbledore’s gaze rested on him.

“Harry,” Dumbledore began, “Under usual circumstances, I would remark how pleasant it is to see you.”

Harry cleared his throat. “Erm…you too, sir. I mean, it’s nice to see you too,” he lied, still studying the carpet. He heard shuffling as Dumbledore moved across the room.

“Sit, my boy. Something tells me that I am in for an interesting story. We may as well be comfortable, don’t you think?” Dumbledore took a seat on a small sofa and summoned two glasses of pumpkin juice and a dish of some kind of candy. He gestured for Harry to sit opposite him, on the other side of a small table.

Harry sat in the proffered chair, taking in the changes in the room since he’d last been here. It was thoroughly clean, thanks to Mrs. Weasleys efforts, and much of the grimy furniture was replaced with newer and brighter things. It helped to add just a little bit of cheer to the dreary old place. Not that Harry felt cheerful right then. Memories of his outburst the last time he had seen Dumbledore, not to mention his attempts to destroy quite a few of the man’s possessions, drifted through his head. He shifted uncomfortably, waiting for Dumbledore to speak.

“I trust you are doing well, Harry?” Dumbledore began, pushing the dish of candy toward him.

“Yes, sir. Thanks.” Harry reached for a piece of candy to give his nervous hands something to do. Focusing his attention on unwrapping the candy kept his eyes from Dumbledore’s for a few moments longer.

“Excellent. Glad to hear,” was Dumbledore’s pleasant reply. “As you don’t seem very inclined toward pleasantries at the moment, perhaps we should simply get to the point.” He paused, waiting until Harry looked up to meet his eyes, then continued, “Why are you not with your relatives, Harry?”

Harry took a sip of pumpkin juice to wet his mouth. “I…um,” Harry wasn’t sure where to start. And then it occurred to him that Dumbledore might already know some of it. “What did Snape tell you in his letter?”

Professor Snape explained that his position had been compromised and that he was stranded at your home. He asked for safe passage to headquarters as soon as possible.” Dumbledore helped himself to a piece of candy. Unhurriedly removing the wrapping, he continued, “Professor Snape knows the importance of brevity in letters such as the one he sent. He mentioned nothing of you or how the two of you were getting along - which, I admit,” said Dumbledore with a raised brow, “gave me some degree of concern. Due to your…shared history, and knowing that the two of you were stranded together in an enclosed space, I thought it best not to tarry. And so I sent your owl – Hedwig, I believe? – immediately back to Professor Snape with a Portkey to safety.”

“Oh, okay,” Harry nodded, flushing at Dumbledore’s justifiable lack of confidence that he and Snape could get along without doing serious damage to each other.

“Professor Snape certainly neglected to notify me that you would be accompanying him in leaving your aunt and uncle’s house,” Dumbledore hinted for an explanation and leaned back in his chair.

“I…don’t think he really planned it, sir,” Harry explained quickly. “It just kind of happened.”

Dumbledore waited a moment before prodding, “And how exactly did your leaving the safety and care of your relatives’ home ‘just kind of happen,’ Harry?” The words could have been scolding as all get out, but he said it gently, as a matter of fact question.

Harry shifted his weight in the chair. “Professor Snape was about to leave, and…um, he told me if I packed up my things, I could come with.”

Dumbledore’s brows shot up nearly to the middle of his forehead, and Harry didn’t think he had ever seen the wizard looking quite so surprised. “Pardon my confusion, Harry, but allow me to reiterate your statement. Professor Snape invited you to leave your aunt and uncle’s home – against my instructions, I might add – to essentially spend more time in his company.” He paused here for Harry’s confirming nod. “And he did this on a whim?”

“Er, yeah. I guess so.” Harry felt his face grow hot at Dumbledore’s blatant disbelief. Harry hadn’t given it much thought over the last few hours, but now that he mulled it over in his head, he found he really didn’t understand it himself. Just why had Snape decided to take him away from the Dursleys? The obvious answer was that he saw how Harry’s aunt and uncle treated him. But Harry wasn’t naive enough to think that in itself would cause Snape to overcome years of hatred to suddenly turn rescue mode on him. The Snape he knew would be happy to see Harry treated that way. Hell, he’d treated Harry worse on more occasions than Harry could count.

So…why had Severus Snape, who was an even bigger bully than Vernon Dursley, helped him to leave the Dursleys? It just didn’t make sense.

“Well then, Harry. I do see I am not the only one with a few questions over the day’s events,” Dumbledore remarked after studying Harry’s confused expression.

Harry sighed and felt a pang of jealousy at how easy it was for wizards like Snape and Dumbledore to hide their thoughts when it suited them. He had never been able to hide what he was thinking very well.

He took a deep breath, just then feeling how incredibly tired he was from the morning’s events. The idea of a nap sounded unbelievably good right at that moment. Pulling Snape’s tube of parchment from the waistband of his jeans, where he had put it for safekeeping, he held it out to Dumbledore. “This is from Professor Snape, sir. He didn’t say what it was, only that it was for you to review before he and Remus get here.” Harry hoped it would be enough to distract Dumbledore from more questions.

“Thank you, Harry.” Dumbledore took the parchment, and showing how astute he could be, promptly sent for Dobby to show a grateful Harry to his room so that he could rest.

The first thing Harry did after trudging up the stairs and into the room was to lie face down on the bed. He didn’t even bother to take off his shoes, he was so tired. Before he knew it, he was sound asleep.

 


 

The sound of muffled voices drifted upstairs, waking Harry slowly from his deep, dreamless sleep. He rolled over, promptly waking as something sharp jabbed him in the nose. Blinking, he felt around, hand coming into contact with his glasses. He must have fallen asleep with them on, he realized, righting them on his face.

He still heard voices, though he couldn’t make out what they were saying. Jumping up and out into the hallway, he leaned over the banister to see Remus and Dumbledore clearly in the downstairs hallway. He ducked close to the ground so they wouldn’t look up and see him.

Harry couldn’t make out what the two wizards were saying – they were talking in hushed tones – but Remus was talking intently to the older wizard, gesturing as if he was insistent about something. Dumbledore was listening, responding in equally hushed but soothing tones.

Remus then gestured to a few pieces of paper which Dumbledore held in his hands. Harry squinted, trying to figure out what they were, and he thought he saw what looked to be Pomfrey’s scrawl. He remembered, then, her note-taking after her examinations of both Snape and himself. A chill ran up his spine. Had she written all of his injuries out for Dumbledore’s perusal? Harry was able to fool Pomfrey through sheer luck that she hadn’t put two and two together. He was certain he wouldn’t be able to keep the source of his injuries secret from Dumbledore’s shrewd observations.

A door creaked open, and Remus stopped talking a moment before Dobby appeared from the direction of the kitchen with Snape in tow. The Potions master looked more himself, having changed out of Dudley’s clothes and into his usual dark garb.

Dumbledore finally spoke loudly enough so that Harry could hear, “Ah, Severus. I trust Dobby has seen to your appetite? Very good, very good. If you are feeling up to it, might I have a word with you?”

Snape nodded slightly to show his agreement before allowing himself to be led past Remus and into the drawing room. Dumbledore’s voice trailed off as they walked further into the room, “I have read your account of Lord Voldemort’s meeting, my boy. Thank you for writing it out for me. As I am sure you expect, I do have a few additional questions...

“Oh, and Remus,” Dumbledore called back, “I think that Harry was exhausted enough to sleep for quite a while longer. I would appreciate if you didn’t disturb his rest quite yet. Perhaps you wouldn’t mind waiting for us in the kitchen?”

Remus nodded, stiffly turning back toward the room Snape had just vacated. Harry heard one door close, then another, before silence fell in the hallway.

He waited a fraction of a moment before he carefully tiptoed down the stairs, one eye focused in the direction of the kitchen, and approached the door to the drawing room. Placing an ear to the door, he heard muffled voices; but as before with Dumbledore and Remus, he couldn’t make out actual words.

He backed up, sighing with impatience. He wanted desperately to know what was being discussed in there. Were they talking about the Death Eater meeting? About Voldemort’s plan? About the Order of the Phoenix and their plans?

Or were they talking about Harry? About Pomfrey’s examination?

Harry couldn’t stand not knowing, and he just about screamed in frustration at being left in the dark. He nearly forgot to keep quiet on his way back to his room, but the thought of being confronted by a newly protective Remus kept him from stomping up the stairs like he wanted to do.

Opening his door a moment later, he just about shouted out in surprise at a huge pair of eyes blinking at him from on top of his own bed.

“Dobby!” Harry whispered, shutting his door quietly. “What are you doing in here? I thought you went to the kitchen with Professor Lupin.”

Dobby jumped to the floor, several hats bouncing up to land perfectly back into place on top of his head. “Professor Lupin asked Dobby to check on Harry Potter. Dobby was not wanting to tell Professor Lupin that Harry Potter was not where he was supposed to be, sir.” Indeed, Dobby’s huge eyes looked relieved that his favorite boy wizard was safe and well.

“Oh.” Considering everything that had happened today, he supposed he shouldn’t be surprised that Remus would send Dobby to check in on him. Still… “Dobby, I don’t suppose you could tell him I’m still asleep, could you? I don’t really want to talk to anyone right now.”

Dobby nodded vigorously before Harry had even finished. “Harry Potter can trust Dobby to keep his secrets!”

Harry grinned. When Dobby wasn’t trying to save his life, he could actually do a decent job of lightening Harry’s mood. Thinking over his history with the house-elf, he couldn’t help chuckling at some of the memories of magical mayhem the house-elf had caused. Which reminded him…

“Oh, hey, Dobby?” Harry called out as it looked like the house-elf was about to disappear. He reached for the shrunken trunk he still held in his pocket. “Would you mind unshrinking my school trunk for me before you go? I’m still underage…can’t use magic during the holidays, you know.”

Dobby proudly complied, happily unshrinking the trunk for Harry before he popped back to inform Remus of Harry’s restful and uninterrupted sleep.

Even as Harry lay back onto his bed to stare at the ceiling, all kinds of thoughts ran through his head about what was being discussed downstairs between Dumbledore and Snape. He felt like sulking, but what was the fun in that with no one around to see him sulking? If only he had a way to listen to…

Harry abruptly sat up in bed. If only he had a way to…see and hear through walls? Scrambling over to his school trunk, he shoved through its messy contents to find what he was looking for.

After only a few seconds of digging, he withdrew what was even more exciting to him now than when he had opened it last night: his very own Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes’ Wall Watcher.

As he tiptoed down the stairs with one solitary purpose in mind, Harry Potter grinned from ear to eavesdropping ear.

Chapter End Notes:
Welcome to you new readers and thank you to those who have been reviewing since the beginning! I do hope you're enjoying it!