Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Flying Lessons

Between classes, homework, and meals, the rest of the week passed rather quickly. All first years began to learn their way around the castle with the help of the older students. Alec, along with Lisa and Josh, had become lost in the twisting corridors at least three more times because of older students and their grudges against Snape. A few of the more rude Ravenclaws had purposely given them incorrect directions which led to them being lost. Severus came to the rescue with the aid of the tracking charm but he was not needed much more since they were learning their way around the corridors.

It was finally Friday, which meant the first years would be receiving their flying lessons that day. They would be learning along with the Hufflepuff first years. Alec lined up with his two new friends alongside the old school brooms. Severus refused to let him fly over the summer until he learned with the rest of the first years. Alec had pleaded with him many times but Severus never relented, most likely because the man hated flying.

“Are you excited? I read a few books on flying already. Quidditch sounds rather interesting but I don’t think I will try out for the team any time soon. I’m not even sure I can do this whole flying thing.” Lisa rambled nervously as she stared at the battered broom that was supposed to support her in the air.

“Relax. You will be fine. I’m sure you will get the hang of it rather quickly.” Alec reassured her just before Madam Hooch, their flying instructor arrived.

“Well? What are you waiting for? Place your hand over the broom and say UP!” Madam Hooch instructed the young Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs.

“UP!” Many commanded at various intervals. Alec’s broom jumped into his hand along with several other students’. Lisa’s went about half way before falling.

“UP!” She cried again and this time it went all the way into her outstretched hand.

Madam Hooch went around correcting grips once all students managed to get their brooms up. “Alright. Now mount your broom and when I count to three, slowly fly up then touch back down. One…Two…Three.” Students slowly rose off the ground and touched back down as they were instructed. “Good job. Now fly around a bit but don’t go higher than 10 feet.”

For the rest of the lesson they were able to fly around without going too high. Near the end when students became better, she allowed them to fly up higher. Alec, Lisa and JJ were all relatively confident with being in the air so they chose to fly higher. Lisa was adjusting a bit when she lost her balance and slipped off her broom. She let out a scream as she began falling and Alec immediately dove into action. Lisa was nearing the ground when he stretched out and grabbed a hold of her arm. Alec held on tight and slowed their descent until they were both safely back on the ground.

“Thank you sooooo much!” Lisa cried as she pulled Alec in for a hug. Alec stiffened at first but tentatively returned the embrace.

“All of you get out of the way!” Madam Hooch shouted as she rushed over to the two students. “Are you alright Ms. Bellini?” Lisa just nodded. Madam Hooch turned to Alec, “That was some catch Mr. Snape. I believe Ravenclaw’s seeker graduated last year and you could easily make the team. I believe tryouts are tomorrow.” The bell rang. “Class is dismissed.”

“Wow. That was an awesome catch!” Josh commented on their way back up. “Wasn’t that your first time on a broom?”

“Yeah that was. Are you okay Lisa? Did I hurt your arm?” Alec asked with apprehension.

“My arm is just a little sore.” Lisa rubbed it absentmindedly.

“We have potions next so I can ask my dad after class if he has anything he can give you. Let’s hurry or we will be late.” The Ravenclaw trio rushed off to potions and set up their supplies in the front row, where they usually sat.

“Today we will begin working on a simple hair color potion. At the final step, add one drop of armadillo bile for darker hair and two drops for lighter hair. You will test your own potions by the end up class. Start now.” Their potions professor commanded as he sat down to grade some papers. Students shuffled around the class as they gathered ingredients and began preparing their potions. Alec had made this potion over the summer with his father so he knew exactly how to tweak it to make the result the same as when he the first made it. Alec added the juice from a newt’s eye and then placed three drops from the armadillo bile vial into the potion. His concoction appeared to be like the others who had already finished. The rest of the class was just finishing their potions when Severus stood up.

“That was an adequate amount of time for you to complete your potion.” He surveyed their potions and noted that the majority of the class had managed to get theirs correct. “If you potion is the same shade as described in the book, then pour one small vial full and drink it. Effects will be immediate if done correctly.” Students followed directions and nervously drank their creations. Their hair began to lighten or darken depending on their final ingredient.

Alec drank a sip of his potion and his hair immediately turned a navy blue color which coincidently matched his robes. A few people gasped and whispers spread around the classroom. Most people turned to stare at the single blue-haired boy in the class while Severus just looked up and smirked at the sight before going back to his work.

“What did you do wrong? It looks like you brewed it correctly.” Lisa drawled out as she studied his potion.

“Who said I did anything wrong?” Alec responded with a smirk as he ran his fingers through his blue hair.

“I think it looks brilliant!” JJ said with his lighter colored hair. “How did you make it blue?”

“I just added a little something extra.”

“Why would you do that? You could have caused an explosion!” Lisa chided gently.

“I made the same thing over summer with my dad and he told me how to make it blue.” Alec explained patiently to his friend.

“Oh. Well that’s okay then.” Alec just rolled his eyes. “Does it say how long this lasts?” Lisa asked as she flipped through her book.

“It’s supposed to last for about two hours so by the time dinner is over, it should be changing back.” Alec informed her just before the bell rang. “Let me talk to my dad about something for your arm.” Alec wandered up to his father’s desk just as the last students were leaving, with the exception of his friends.

“You obviously remembered how to make your hair blue.” Severus commented to his approaching son.

“Yup. It wasn’t too hard but that’s not what I am here for. Today during Quidditch Lisa fell from her broom and I caught her by her arm, which is a bit sore now. Do you have anything that you can give her for it?” Alec asked.

Severus rummaged through his potions supply before pulling out a dark blue potion. “One sip will suffice.” He instructed as he handed Lisa the potion. “Why didn’t you visit Madam Pomfrey?”

“She fell just before class ended so we wouldn’t have had time to stop by the infirmary without being late to your class.” Severus just nodded his head in acceptance.

Severus suddenly turned towards his son after collecting the vial from Lisa. “What about your arm? Is it sore at all?”

Alec just shrugged. “It’s not bad, I’ve had worse.” That was the wrong thing to say because Severus’ expression darkened at the reminder of the pain Alec went through at the hands of the Dursley’s.

“Wait outside for Alec.” Severus ordered JJ and Lisa, who complied. “Alec,” Severus began. “We have gone over this before…”

“It’s just a little sore. It doesn’t matter to me.” Alec interrupted.

“It might not matter to you, but it matters to me. I am here to help you when you need it whether it’s something small or big. Day or night, I don’t care. Just let me help you.” Severus reasoned with the young boy who still reverted back to habits learned at the Dursleys’. He had learned to ignore his pains and wants and obviously Severus was still trying to break that behavior.

“I’m sorry. Some habits are hard to break.” Alec replied miserably. Severus gave the blue-haired boy a hug before ordering him to drink a sip of the same potion Lisa just took.

“Don’t keep your friends waiting.” Severus smiled a bit and he gave Alec a light shove towards the door. Alec met up with his friends and they headed off for dinner in the Great Hall.

After dinner, the Ravenclaw trio headed off to the Library to do homework. Alec was preparing his transfiguration essay while JJ worked on his potions and Lisa on her charms. They mostly worked in silence except for the times when they’d ask something related to their homework.

Lisa yawned and stretched out. “I’m finished and I’m tired so I think I will head off to bed.”

“I’m tired too. I think I will follow you. What about you Alec? Are you done yet?” JJ said as he began packing his books up.

“I am almost done. I want to find a book once I’m finished and then I will head back to the dormitory.” Alec replied as he chewed slightly on the end of his quill.

“Do you want us to-” JJ yawned, “-wait for you?”

“Don’t worry about it. I can tell you are both tired so you can head up without me. I’ll be there in about twenty minutes since it’s curfew then.” Alec replied as he scribbled down more on his essay.

“Goodnight.” Lisa and JJ chorused.

“Night.” Alec replied absentmindedly as he continued working. He continued scribbling down information for his essay before he checked the time again. Curfew was starting in 5 minutes so he grabbed all his homework papers into a pile and rushed out of the library and towards the Ravenclaw dormitory. Alec was walking quickly to the dormitory when someone’s foot appeared in his path and before he could stop himself, he tripped over it. His homework went flying about as he crashed to the ground.

“Watch where you’re going,” Someone spat out before muttering a spell at a pile of homework, which promptly caught fire. Alec sat up and looked for the mysterious person but they had fled the scene. Alec mumbled out a water spell but it was no use since that piece of homework was burnt to ashes. Luckily for him, that was an easy potions assignment that he could quickly redo later. Just as he finished gathering up his homework, someone came around the corner. Unfortunately for Alec, it was Filch.

“What do we have here?” Filch leered at the young boy. “Curfew started over five minutes ago boy.” He said sharply. Alec winced slightly at the term since it brought back memories of his uncle using that word constantly. He was cut out of his musing by a hand gripping him by the scruff of his robes.

“Come along boy.” Alec reluctantly went with the man as he was pulled into the nearest teacher’s office. Filch, who still had a hold on his robes, pulled him into Professor McGonagall’s office where she was currently talking with Severus. Both turned towards the door at the sound of it opening and spied Filch who was practically dragging Alec inside.

“Unhand him now.” Severus commanded in a lethal tone. He certainly did not appreciate his son being handled like that.

Filch let go immediately, “I caught him wandering the corridors-”

Alec interrupted in defense, “I wasn’t wandering the corridors!”

“Well then what would you call that boy?”

Wincing slightly at the term boy once more, Alec answered. “I was on my way back to the tower but you just grabbed me and pulled me along before I had the chance to explain myself.”

“I’ll handle this. You can leave now.” Severus growled at the caretaker. Filch muttered things about brats as he stalked out.

“What happened?” Severus asked, as he inspected his son’s ruffled appearance.

“I was on my way back to my dormitory when someone tripped me. I didn’t see who it was because it was dark and it happened so fast. They also burnt my potions homework.” Alec replied and then yawned. Severus frowned as his son shrugged off the matter.

“Come along, I will walk you back to your dormitory. I apologize for the interruption,” Severus directed towards Professor McGonagall. “We can finish our conversation over breakfast. Good evening.” Minerva just nodded and smiled at them.

“Goodnight professor.” Alec said as he was leaving with his father.

“Goodnight.” She replied back to them before they walked out of the room.

Severus walked Alec all the way to the Ravenclaw common room before saying goodnight. Alec entered and headed straight to bed after such a tiring day. Tomorrow was Saturday, which meant he could sleep in but it also meant that tryouts were being held for the Ravenclaw Quidditch team. Alec slept restlessly that night as he tossed and turned over nightmares. In his current nightmare, his uncle was gripping him just as Filch had done earlier and when someone shook him awake, he flinched away from the contact. Alec blearily opened his eyes and met the concerned gaze of Josh.

“Bad dream?” JJ assumed and Alec nodded his head in agreement before getting up. “Well Quidditch tryouts are today! That would be totally awesome if you could make the team!” JJ said enthusiastically as he pulled on a pair of robes. Alec changed into comfortable clothes for the day before the two boys met up with Lisa in the common room. All three Ravenclaws headed off to breakfast together before going to the Quidditch field. Alec asked permission from his father to borrow his broom for the tryouts. Severus could dislike flying but he still owned a Nimbus 1700, which was a fairly new model.

“Good luck,” Lisa and JJ chimed as they walked to the spectators section while Alec headed towards the tryout area.

“Alright. Listen up.” The Ravenclaw Quidditch captain called out. “We only need a seeker this year. So if you came here to try out as a chaser or anything else, you may as well leave now.” A good portion of the people left and only five boys and two girls were left. The captain then ordered everyone to mount their brooms and just do some basic flying. One of the boys was a terrible flyer so the captain dismissed him rather quickly. He then released the bludgers as they were practicing their flying. Two more Ravenclaws left after the bludgers came too close to them and almost hit them. The only remaining people were Alec, a third year, a fifth year and a second year girl.

“I am going to release the Snitch now and whoever finds it first will most likely end up on the team.” The Snitch was released and it quickly disappeared. Alec flew around searching for it and he noticed it by the goal posts. He dove off after it immediately and the others were quickly trailing him. When he neared the snitch, it took a dive downwards and Alec trailed it. He was coming closer and closer to the ground as he stretched his hand out just far enough to make the catch. The other Ravenclaws had pulled up when it appeared that he might slam into the ground. Alec pulled out of the dive just in time to avoid hitting the ground and his feet managed to brush against the grass ever so lightly.

“You are definitely on the team.” Zachary Kirkland said as he flew over to Alec. “That was one hell of a catch. How old are you?” He scrutinized the dark-haired boy.

“I’m eleven.” Alec replied

“Damn it. I don’t think they let eleven-year-olds on the team.” The Ravenclaw glanced at the boy and noticed the broom he was holding, “Whose broom is that? First years are not supposed to have brooms.”

“It’s my dad’s broom. He let me borrow it for the tryouts.” Alec replied.

“Wait a minute… You are Snape’s kid? Maybe they will let you on the team after all…” The Ravenclaw pondered for a moment before concluding that Alec needed to get his father’s permission before he could be officially accepted in the team. Alec nodded in acceptance and headed back for the castle with his friends in tow.

“That was awesome! And to think that that was only your second time on a broom!” JJ commented slightly in awe of the great catch his friend made.

“You could have broken your neck on a stunt like that…” Lisa interjected.

“So did you make the team?” JJ interrupted curiously as they trekked down to the potions professor’s classroom.

“I have to ask my dad first.” Alec replied as they arrived at his father’s door. He pushed open the door and saw his father grading papers. Severus looked up as they entered and stood to greet them. He walked over to Alec and did a quick glance over and double-checked that Alec was in one piece.

“I saw that dive. You could have broken you neck.” Severus unknowingly repeated what Lisa had said minutes ago.

“Well… I knew I could catch it…” Alec trailed off.

“Promise me you will be more careful in the future.” Severus gently ordered.

“I promise.” Alec vowed as he handed back his father’s broom.

“Did you come here just to return this?” Severus asked as he stowed the broom in the corner.

“Well actually Zachary, the Ravenclaw captain, said that I can be on the team if you give your permission…” Alec held his breath in anticipation of his father’s answer.

Severus did not have the heart to say no to his anxious son. “Fine. But anymore dives like that and I will reconsider.” Alec just grabbed him for a big hug.

“Thank you so much!” Alec said. “I’m going to tell Zachary now. Thanks again and bye!” Alec shouted as he left the classroom.

“I hope I don’t regret that decision…” Severus muttered as he slumped down in the chair.