Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

The Trial of Sirius Black

“Hey guys,” Alec said as he flopped down into a seat next to his friends the following morning at breakfast.

“Where have you been?!” Lisa practically shrieked in his ear.

“Well, I’m actually not sure if I can tell you. I’ll ask my dad after breakfast.” Alec searched the head table for a sign of his father and spotted him stalking towards the Slytherin table and speaking in hushed tones with a student. The young boy belatedly realized that his father was conversing with the Slytherin team’s ex-seeker. The culprit paled a few shades and followed the potions master out of the Great Hall.

“I wonder what that was about,” an older Ravenclaw commented. “He never gets upset with Slytherins unless they have done something awful.”

“Why did you skip out on the Halloween feast?” Lisa inquired as she sipped her juice.

“I didn’t skip it on purpose.” Alec muttered. “Like I said before, I will tell you as much as I can after I receive permission from my father. We also can’t talk in here because too many people would overhear.” Alec picked at the remnants of his food after he was full. He was getting ready to leave with his friends when the post arrived. Hundreds of owls flew into the room and landed in front of their respective owners. An owl landed in front of him with today’s Daily Prophet.

SIRIUS BLACK SURRENDERS AT THE MINISTRY OF MAGIC!

“Ministry employees received a severe shock when mass murderer Sirius Black appeared unarmed in the lobby area of the Ministry of Magic. Black claims that he never received a trial and that he is innocent of the charges that he was previously imprisoned for. Amelia Bones, Head of  the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, has apparently granted Black a trial that will take place November 17…”

The article went on to explain the details of the trial along with a recap of the crimes that Black was accused of committing. Alec stuffed the paper into his bag and led his friends to his father’s office. They heard the potion master’s raised voice as they neared the room. The door opened as they arrived and a red-faced Terence Higgs shuffled out. Higgs didn’t bother to look at them or say anything as he made his way out of the dungeons rather quickly.

“What did you say to him?” Alec asked curiously as the three Ravenclaws entered the office.

“Nothing that you need to hear,” Severus smirked slightly. “What are you three here for?”

“I wanted to ask you if I could tell them about yesterday.” Alec pulled the paper out of his bag and handed it to his father. “It doesn’t mention anything in the paper therefore I don’t believe that people know what happened.”

“You may tell them. Black will be charged with kidnapping but that bit of information is not known by many people until the trial occurs. You may discuss this in the privacy of your room.” The bell rang so the three Ravenclaws took their seats without another word.

Later that evening Alec told his friends of what had happened the night before. Lisa and Josh were thoroughly shocked that Sirius Black was able to get into the castle in the first place. Alec assured them that they were safe since the papers reported that the escaped convict had turned himself in that morning. That fact helped his friends rest easier.

...................................................

The time until the trial flew by for Alec with classes, homework and Quidditch practice. Before he knew it, November 17th arrived. Alec slept in his room the night before so he was able to get up and leave early with his father and Headmaster to arrive at the courtroom. They took an authorized portkey to the Ministry of Magic. After passing through security, they arrived to the designated room and took their seats. Several others piled in the room and waited for the proceedings to begin.

“Bring the accused forward.” Two guards led Sirius Black into the courtroom and sat him down in a chair. Chains came to life and tied him to the seat. He looked a bit better after when Severus and Alec last saw him although he was still rather pale.

“The charges against Sirius Orion Black are: premeditated murder of James Potter and Lily Evans-Potter through the act of disclosing their location while under the Fidelius Charm, murder of thirteen muggles, murder of Peter Pettigrew, escaping Azkaban, and kidnapping Severus Snape and Alec Snape. What is your plea?”

The man representing Sirius Black, attorney Mr. Myers, answered for him. “My client pleads not guilty to premeditated murder, murdering thirteen muggles and the murder of Peter Pettigrew. My client pleads guilty to the escaping Azkaban and to kidnapping charges.”

Quiet whispers were heard around the courtroom when it was announced that Black pleaded not guilty to several of the charges. “Quiet!” Judge Wright shouted and the whispers silenced.

“You may begin your opening statement Mr. Turner.” The prosecutor stood and gave his speech.

“Sirius Black is an irresponsible, reckless man and a murderer. He indirectly caused the Potters’ death when he revealed their location to You-Know-Who. Black even laughed maniacally when he was captured all those years ago. This man is a true killer who belongs back behind bars in order to allow the Wizarding world to rest peacefully once again. Sirius Black is guilty of the stated charges and I will prove it.”

“My client Sirius Black is innocent of the murder charges previously stated. All his life, he was trying to prove his difference from the Black family with their practice of dark arts. He was not the Potter’s Secret Keeper that betrayed their trust and later led to their deaths. He is not the man who forced young Harry Potter to grow up without his parents. It was Peter Pettigrew. Pettigrew was their Secret Keeper. Pettigrew was the one who betrayed them. I intend to prove that my client is innocent of the murder charges and that it was Peter Pettigrew who fooled everyone and led the Potters to their deaths. Thank you.” Mr. Myers sat down as he finished his speech.

“Bring out your first witness Mr. Turner.”

“I call Miss Calderon to the stand…” The prosecutor called numerous witnesses that morning. Mr. Turner questioned each individual thoroughly before allowing Mr. Myers a chance to interrogate the witnesses. Each witness described several details about the night when Black was arrested. The prosecutor even called witnesses to describe Sirius Black’s personality to prove that the man was irresponsible along with other negative traits that the he possessed.

Judge Wright called a recess to break up the court for a short lunch. The trial began again after everyone arrived back to the court room. The prosecutor had called all the witnesses and Mr. Myers received his chance to question the witnesses of the defense.

“I call Severus Snape to the stand.” Severus stood and left Alec sitting with the Headmaster as he took a seat on the stand.

“Please state your name and occupation for the record.” Mr. Myers requested.

“Severus Snape, potions master at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.”

"Please describe your relationship to Mr. Black."

Severus described the mutual hatred they felt for each other and how they acted around each other at school.

"Did Mr. Black specifically go out of his way to cause you harm while in school?" Myers asked.

"Occasionally he would but he tended to target all Slytherins in general as an outlet for his pranks." Severus replied from his seat.

"Did you or your classmates ever retaliate? If so, what would you do?"

"We would return the favor with our own pranks which tended to be a bit vicious at times but it was what they deserved." Severus informed them.

"So basically, you gave as good as you got?" Myers questioned.

"Yes," was the short response.

"The witness is yours," Myers spoke towards the prosecutor.

"Mr. Snape, was the accused a violent man?" Mr. Turner asked as he approached the witness.

"We were all a bit violent at times."

"That would be a yes then." Severus gave a sharp nod. Mr. Turner continued, "Has he ever shown signs on mental instability?"

"We all did idiotic things but none of those actions would lead me to believe that Black was showing signs of mental instability." Severus replied.

"Was Black the Secret Keeper for Lily and James Potter?"

"I was under the impression that he was but-" Mr. Turner cut him off.

"That’s a yes then."

"No." Severus interjected. "I was never informed directly by Lily or Potter that he was their Secret Keeper. It was common knowledge that Black was Potter's best friend and it made sense that Black would be their Secret Keeper."

"No further questions," Mr. Turner sat down disgruntled at Severus' persistence to get his word in.

Mr. Myers stood, "I call Alec Snape to the stand." Alec slowly walked to the stand and swore the oath to tell the truth before sitting down.

"Can you please tell us your name and school for the record?"

"Alec Snape, first year Ravenclaw at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry."

"Can you describe the events that took place on the day of your kidnapping?" Myers asked the young boy. Alec relayed the events that led up to that day, omitting the incident that led up to him being in the Hospital Wing in the first place. That did not need to become common knowledge if it could be helped.

"Did Mr. Black harm you when you were kidnapped?" Myers questioned.

"No." Alec replied.

"No further questions." Sirius Black's lawyer sat down and Mr. Turner stood.

"Mr. Snape," he addressed, "What was Mr. Black like when he kidnapped you? Violent? Disturbed?"

"I don't know. He wasn't mean to me but he said mean things to my father." The lawyer approached the young boy and stared down at him.

"Do you know why he was mean to your father?" The man questioned as he continued to stare intently at the young boy.

"Dad told me about him and how they hated each other in school. That’s probably why he was so mean to him but not me." Alec replied unnerved as the man stared.

"Have you always lived with your father?" The man asked. Alec paled slightly and was reluctant to answer but thankfully Mr. Myers stepped in before he had to reveal anything about his previous life.

"Objection. This line of questioning is not relevant to this case."

"Sustained. Redirect your questioning Mr. Turner to a different topic." Judge Wright said.

Mr. Turner nodded his head in agreement and changed the questions back to the kidnapping. He was soon finished and Alec was able to go back to his seat. Severus rubbed soothing circles on Alec's back as he held the young boy. Several other witnesses appeared and gave testimony before it was Sirius Black's chance to testify on his defense.

"What is your name?" Mr. Myers asked his client.

"Sirius Orion Black," he replied while under Veritaserum.

"Were you the Secret Keeper of James and Lily Potter?"

"Yes." Whispers started but quickly died down as Myers asked his next question.

"When were you released of the duty as a Secret Keeper?"

"One week before James and Lily died." Black replied in the same monotonous voice.

"Who took over as Secret Keeper?"

"Peter Pettigrew." Several soft gasps rang through the court room.

"Did you betray the Potters’ to You-Know-Who?"

"No."

"Who did?" Myers continued to question.

"Peter Pettigrew."

"Did you murder Peter Pettigrew?" The lawyer asked.

"No."

"Did you murder thirteen muggles?" The man questioned his client.

"No." Whispers started up as people questioned the truth of his statements. Since Veritaserum was being used, every word he said had to be true.

"Silence!" Judge Wright shouted. The whispers stopped immediately. "Continue." The judge said to Mr. Myers.

"Who killed thirteen muggles?"

"Peter Pettigrew," was the monotonous reply.

"How did he escape?" Myers asked.

"He transformed into his rat Animagus form and ran into the sewers after killing the muggles."

"So you did not kill Pettigrew, thirteen muggles and you didn't betray the Potters, which later led to their deaths?" Myers asked his final question.

"No to all the questions." Black replied.

"No further questions." Myers sat back down, satisfied and certain that his client wouldn't be charged for killing those people or betraying the Potters.

"Did you escape Azkaban?" Mr. Turner asked Black, who was still under the effects of Veritaserum.

"Yes."

"How?"

"Objection! If this piece of information were to become common knowledge, then we could have many escapees on our hands." Myers said.

"I agree with Mr. Myers." Judge Wright said.  "Do not answer that question Mr. Black. I may request that bit of knowledge later in private." Sirius Black nodded and did not answer.

Mr. Turner continued his questions, "Did you abduct Severus Snape and Alec Snape?"

"Yes."

"No further questions." Mr. Turner sat down and he was sure that Sirius Black would be convicted for the kidnapping and escaping charges. It was rather obvious that the murder charges would be dropped seeing as he couldn't lie while under the truth serum.

Sirius was the last person to testify and after the two lawyers gave their closing statement, the jury deliberated on the outcome. The Wizarding world's judicial system was basically the same as the muggle system. Random witches and wizards were chosen to be in the jury as long as they did not harbor any conflicting feelings for Sirius Black. It was approximately an hour later when the jury returned with the verdict. A piece of paper was handed to the judge who announced their findings.

"For the charge of premeditated murder, you are found not guilty. For the charge of the murder of Peter Pettigrew, you are found not guilty. For the charge of murdering thirteen muggles, you are found not guilty. For the charge of escaping Azkaban, you are found guilty. For the charge of kidnapping, you are found guilty.” Judge Wright paused briefly before reading the sentencing portion of the trial.

“You have been given the minimum sentencing for the kidnapping charges as you pleaded guilty and no one was harmed. The minimum sentence for kidnapping is seven years. The sentence for the escaping charges that you have been found guilty of is two years.” Sirius paled at the thought of nine more years in Azkaban. The judge continued, “However, since you have previously served sufficient time for your crimes, you are free to go.” Once that was declared, there were several reporters who rushed out to make sure that the results of the trial hit the papers. The people guarding Sirius released him and let him walk away now that he was a free man. Sirius slowly made his way over to Alec who was still seated with his father and Headmaster while others filed out of the courtroom.

“Can I briefly talk with H-Alec?” Sirius almost slipped up and used Harry when asking Severus.

“You may but we will be leaving once the other people disperse.” Severus stated.

“Hey.” The newly freed man greeted the young boy. “I’m sure that you don’t want to ever hear from me again. I mean I did kidnap you and…” Sirius rambled.

“Do you have any pictures that you can send me?” Alec interrupted quietly.

“Huh?” Sirius looked puzzled before it dawned on him that Alec was referring to pictures of his biological parents. “Of course. I can do that. Would you mind if I owled you from time to time to keep in touch?”

“That’s fine. I don’t have an owl though but I can use Dad’s.” Sirius grimaced when his godson called Snape dad.

“Can I talk with you privately?” Sirius asked Snape as nicely as he could manage.

Severus gave a short nod. “Headmaster, would you mind taking Alec outside?”

The Headmaster nodded and addressed Sirius, “Congratulations on your freedom and I apologize for not realizing that you never received a trial. Please hold a civil conversation for once.” He said the last part to both men who nodded slightly.

Once Alec and the Headmaster left the area, Severus turned back to Sirius. “What is it that you want?”

“He’s my godson. I want to visit with him occasionally.”

“Technically, he is no longer your godson. He has been officially adopted through an irreversible blood ritual that has legally made him my son.” Severus sneered.

“Look Snape. I just want to see him once and a while. I don’t want to cause problems.” Sirius paused and it appeared to have pained him to say the next words, “Please.” He said with some difficulty as he stared at the man in front of him.

“I will consider your request,” Severus swept out of the courtroom and headed over to the Headmaster, who was conversing with Alec.

“All finished?” Albus asked the potions master. Severus gave a sharp nod and the Headmaster pulled out a portkey that returned them to the school.

...................................................

Several days later at breakfast, an owl arrived with a package for Alec. The small white owl perched on his shoulder as he read the letter.

Dear Alec,

I found pictures of James and Lily for you. Most of the pictures are when they were older but several are of their younger years. Remus Lupin, a friend of mine, charmed this album to show you the pictures as they are but everyone else will see it differently. Only people who know of your true parentage will see the real pictures. I hope all your classes are going well and I’d like to hear back from you if you get a chance to write.

Sirius

P.S. The lovely lady who has probably perched herself on your shoulder is yours to keep.

“What were you sent?” Lisa inquired curiously.

“Nothing,” Alec replied. “Isn’t she beautiful?” Alec asked, distracting his friend from her original question since he wanted to view the pictures in private later.

“Is she yours? I didn’t know you had an owl,” Josh commented.

“I just got her this morning. Let’s go before we are late to class.” They stood up and headed out. “We’ve got to get to dinner on time today.” Alec added mischievously.

“Why? What have you been up to?” the first year Ravenclaw girl lectured.

“Nothing,” Alec said innocently. “You’ll see at dinner.” The bell rang as they filed into Professor Greene’s class. He was an acceptable Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher but tended to get distracted from the lesson and ended up telling random stories instead.

...................................................

“So what is going to happen?” Josh whispered to Alec. Alec just shook his head and ignored the question. Shortly after dinner began several Ravenclaws’ and one Slytherin’s skin began to change colors. Once the students noticed, their colors began to vary. Several students turned red or blue while the lone Slytherin turned purple.

“Please follow Madam Pomfrey to the infirmary.” The Headmaster directed his statement towards the colorful students. “She should be able to mend you in just a minute.” Once the students ceased their laughter, the assumptions were made as to the culprits behind the prank. Just about everyone suspected the Weasley twins because they were always the guilty ones in the event of a prank. Students were surprised when the twins showed genuine surprise for the joke and began plotting ways to find out who really committed the prank.

Alec led his friends to his personal rooms after dinner was finished to insure that they were not overheard by anyone.

“Spill it. How did you manage that prank?” Lisa demanded as they sat down on Alec’s bed.

“I had a little help from my dad.” Alec admitted.

“Why those people?” Josh pondered aloud.

“That was just a little bit of entertaining payback to those people who had been rude to us, for no reason I might add, at some point this year.” Alec stated.

“I think it was pretty cool!” Josh concluded with enthusiasm.

“What was up with the color changing part?” Lisa asked curiously.

“The potion was made to show your mood if you used it on paper. Dad helped me tweak it a bit to have the person turn colors according to their mood.” Alec replied. “Blue means happy or amused, red represents embarrassment and purple was anger.”

“That Slytherin kid was certainly angry with that shade of purple. Who was he anyways?” Josh questioned.

“That was Terrence Higgs,” Alec responded innocently. “Why don’t we play some exploding snap?”