Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Christmas

The days until Christmas holidays were decreasing as each day flew by with the never ending piles of homework among other time-consuming activities. Alec corresponded with Sirius as often as he could using his new owl, Hedwig, to send letters to the older man. Sirius Black's trial was a hit source of gossip around the school. Students were shocked to learn that the man was sentenced to Azkaban without a trial and that he turned out to be innocent. The article did not contain too many specific details, such as the names of victims, therefore the school never learned of Alec's and his father's involvement with the trial.

It was the day before Christmas break and the students were excited about the upcoming holidays. Most teachers, with the exception of the potions master, went easy on the students when their attention was so obviously elsewhere.

"What are you doing for Christmas?" Alec asked his friends as they walked out of the charms classroom.

"I'm going home. My relatives will be coming over for a large family dinner on Christmas day." Lisa said.

"I'll be heading home too. I don't think I know of anything that we have planned but we will probably end up visiting relatives at some point. What about you Alec?" Josh asked as he descended the stairs.

"My dad will be taking me to see Snape Manor since I have not been there yet. Other than that, I don't know what we have planned." Alec slid into a seat at the Ravenclaw table for lunch.

"Cool. Maybe we can all get together at one point?" Josh suggested.

"I'm sure my parents wouldn't mind if you guys came over to my house. We could exchange gifts then if you'd like." Lisa offered to her two best friends.

"I'll ask my dad," Alec took a bite of his food and swallowed before continuing. "I'm sure that will be fine though. What about you?" He addressed Josh.

"I'm certain my parents won't mind me visiting over at a friend's house. What do you guys want for Christmas anyways?" Josh took a sip of his pumpkin juice.

"I can think of a few books off the top of my head...." Lisa commented.

"You always want books!" Alec observed. "Is there anything else you'd like?"

"I like books!" Lisa declared defensively.

"That's why you're in Ravenclaw..." Alec drawled in a tone much like his father's.

"I'll let you know when I think of something else. We'd better go if we want to make potions class on time." The three first years finished their meals and headed to the dungeons.

"Pop quiz." Professor Snape announced to his class as the dungeon doors slammed closed shut behind him. "All textbooks and parchment will be removed from your desks immediately. When you receive the quiz, you may begin."

The first part of class was spent on the quiz and the second half was devoted to brewing a potion. They were reviewing the boil curing potion, which thankfully everyone completed correctly without any visits to the hospital wing.

The bell rang and the class was dismissed. Most students packed up and tore out of the room to get away from their irate potions master, who appeared to be having a bad day. The man was currently sitting at his desk, furiously marking papers with his red ink. Alec remained behind and motioned for his friends to head out without him.

"Hey dad," Alec said as he stood in front of his father's desk. "Bad day?"

"Those dunderheads can not comprehend the art of potion brewing. They don't realize their foolish mistakes until their cauldron melts." Severus rubbed his temples tiredly.

"They probably don't try very hard because making potions seems like a skill that they won't need later in life." Alec surmised.

"Did you remain behind to question my current disposition or was there something you require?" Severus dropped his hands from his temples and opened his eyes to face those of his son.

"I did want to know what was wrong but I also had several questions for you. Can I ride the train with my friends?"

"May I," Severus corrected. "I suppose you may do that. What other inquiries do you have?"

"Will we have a chance to go Christmas shopping in Diagon Alley or Hogsmeade? I'd like to find gifts for my friends but I'm not sure what to get for them yet."

"I will arrange a time to travel to Diagon Alley. I have several potion ingredients that I require for a potion that I will be brewing over the break therefore I will allow you to purchase gifts for your friends while we are there." Severus replied as he placed papers off to the side.

"Ca-May I," Alec corrected himself, "visit Lisa and her family with Josh to exchange our gifts?"

Severus pondered for a moment. "I suppose that is acceptable. Her father will have forgotten your summer encounter, given that I Obliviated him, but you have not, therefore I'd like you to be cautious around him and anyone else in that house."

"I promise to be cautious. Thank you for agreeing. I'm going to tell my friends now." Alec said. "Thank you very much!" He added as he left the potions classroom.

..............................................

Alec boarded the train with all the other students who were going back home for the holidays. The three Ravenclaws had a compartment to themselves and mostly spent the passing time chatting. The lady with the cart came by selling candy, which Alec bought plenty of to share with his best friends. They ate candy and swapped chocolate frog cards with each other. All too soon, the train arrived at the station and they clambered out of their compartment and made their way to the platform to look for their families.

They came across Josh's family first. Mrs. Johnson was a muggle while Mr. Johnson was a wizard. After introductions were made, Josh and his family departed. Alec followed Lisa through the barrier separating the wizarding and muggle worlds. Her parents were standing out there already waiting for her. She rushed over to her parents and gave each of them a hug.

"Mom, Dad, this is Alec Snape. He is one of my best friends. My other friend Josh had to leave with his parents. I was hoping that they could come over to our house so we can exchange gifts one of these days. Is that okay?" Lisa asked.

"I'm sure that will be fine as long as both your friends receive permission from their parents." Mrs. Bellini replied to her daughter, who jumped excitedly. "Where are your parents?" Lisa's mother addressed Alec.

"My father should be around here somewhere." Alec turned around to search for his father's face but knocked into someone and fell to the ground.

"Watch it boy," an extremely large woman said.

"I'm sor-," the words died on his lips before he found his voice again. "I'm sorry. I wasn't looking where I was going." Alec replied to the woman that was once his Aunt Marge. She didn't recognize him or else she would probably be accusing him of causing Vernon and Petunia's deaths. She ignored the apology and walked away. A man stepped out the shadows and helped Alec up before returning to his post.

"Are you alright?" Lisa asked as she stepped towards her friend through the crowd of people.

"I'm fine. Who is that guy?" Alec asked curiously.

"That is just one of my father's guards. I saw recognition in your face when you saw that lady. Who was that?" Lisa inquired.

"That was my Aunt Marge. Well she is not really my aunt but I was forced to call her Aunt Marge. I wonder what she is doing here." Alec thought aloud. He then saw the rather large reason for his Aunt being at the train station. It was his cousin Dudley, who was still in his Smeltings uniform. Apparently Dudley was on vacation as well and it appeared that nothing much changed for the fat boy. He was still as overweight as ever.

"Alec," a hand drew him away from his musings and he realized that his father arrived. "Are you ready to leave?"

"Yes. I have to grab my stuff first," Alec indicated to his luggage which was on the ground next to the Bellini's.

"Say goodbye to Ms. Bellini and grab your belongings and we will locate an alleyway to depart from." Alec said his goodbyes, grabbed his trunk and followed his father to a deserted and dark passageway. Severus shrunk the trunk then held the boy tightly as he apparated them to Snape Manor and appeared outside the main gates. Severus performed a spell that would allow the wards on the manor to recognize Alec's magical signature so that he could enter.

"Welcome to Snape Manor," Severus said as he led the young boy into the large house. This manor was not nearly as large as other wealthy pureblood's manors, but its size suited the two of them perfectly. The potions master led the young boy into the manor where they were greeted by a house elf dressed in relatively nice clothing.

"Master Snape is home! And he brought a young master too! What can Binky do for you sirs?" The house elf asked eagerly.

"Binky, would you prepare a light evening meal to be served at six thirty?" Severus asked his elf.

"Yes sirs. Binky can do that for you. I will get started immediately!" She popped away to begin preparing their meal. Severus led Alec through the house on a short tour. The manor contained six bedrooms, a formal dining room along with a casual dining room where they would hold their meals, several sitting rooms along with bathrooms scattered throughout the house. The basement contained a potions lab where Severus constantly experimented along with a large cupboard for the potions master's ingredients.

Severus led Alec to his room which was decorated the same as his room in Hogwarts. After Alec settled in his new room, he went to the casual dining room where he and his father ate before retiring back to their rooms for the evening.

......................................

Severus approached Alec, who was reading in the library, on the third day of vacation. "Alec, an old," he paused in search of the right word, "friend of mine, Lucius Malfoy will be stopping by this evening for dinner. I would like you to be on your best behavior and try to get along with his son. Draco will be attending Hogwarts next year. I am not asking you to be friends with Draco, but please tolerate him for this evening."

"Lucius? That name sounds familiar..." Alec murmured. "Have I met him before?"

"You met him very briefly while we were on our first trip to Diagon Alley."

"Oh. Was he that blond creepy guy in the store that I accidentally flooed to?" Alec questioned as he closed his book and placed it on the counter.

"Yes. He was the blond creepy guy as you so eloquently put it. I have been able to hold off his inquiries for quite some time but he insists on meeting you." Severus replied.

"Okay. I guess I should clean up my room and get ready since it is already three in the afternoon. What time are they coming?" Alec stretched and stood up.

"Dinner will be served at six thirty. Our Guests will arrive at six. Please be on your best behavior and do not let our etiquette lessons go to waste." Alec nodded and left to clean up his room, which was the only chore that he had to do since the house elf did the rest.

Right at six, the fire flared green and an older blond man stepped out of the fireplace. His wife stepped out after a moment followed by a young blond-haired boy. Both Snapes were dressed immaculately as were the Malfoys. After introductions were made, the two young boys were sent off while the adults discussed matters.

Alec led Draco to his room, where the blond boy looked around in disgust.

"This is your room? Where is all of your stuff?" Draco questioned as he gracefully sat down on the chair located in the corner.

"This is all I have." Alec murmured self-consciously as Draco stared intently at the dark-haired boy.

"Where is your mother?" Draco inquired as he brushed a piece of lint off his dress shirt.

"She died when I was five," Alec replied as he took a seat on the edge of his bed.

"She was our kind right?"

"What? Oh, you want to know if she was a witch." Draco nodded impatiently. "Yes she was a witch."

"Good. I don't socialize with mudbloods." Before either boy could say anything else, a pop was heard and Binky appeared.

"Dinner will be served momentarily young masters and your presence is required in the dining room." The elf informed them and both boys stood.

"Thank you Binky. We will be on our way now," Alec replied to the elf, which then popped away.

"Why are you so polite to that elf? They are inferior to us and are nothing more than slaves." Draco chided.

"It's my elf and I will treat it as I wish," Alec informed the blond as he exited the room. Draco scowled and didn't say anything else as he followed his host to the dining area.

The meal was a bit tense with small conversations occasionally starting up and the whole evening seemed to drag on. Once the meal was over, the Malfoys did not linger long before flooing back home.

"What did you think of Draco?" Severus asked after their guests were gone.

"I don't really like him. He is very spoiled and complained that my room was too plain. It is not like I have had a whole lot of time to decorate it and add my personal belongings to the room." Alec replied. "I'm tired and I think I want to go to bed early since tomorrow will be a big day with my friends."

"Good night," Severus said as he pulled out a book to read.

"Good night dad," Alec said as he headed upstairs towards his room. Alec was just falling asleep when he heard his door creak open. His father entered the room and tucked the covers around him.

"Good night son," Severus said as he lightly kissed the boy's forehead and left the room. Alec fell asleep with a smile on his face.

Chapter End Notes:
Since Harry started school a year ealier, then technically Dudley wouldn't be at Smeltings but I didn't think of that until later...

So kinda forget about that little error...

And please review! :)