Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Christmas Part 2

After waking up the next morning, Alec wrapped his presents for his friends. When the boy was out shopping with his father, he found all the gifts he needed. For Lisa, he bought a package filled with girly items. Since these were the magical versions of cosmetics and accessories, it was not likely that she would already own such a thing. For Josh, Alec purchased a Quidditch poster signed by the captain of his favorite team.

While in Diagon Alley, he also managed to pick up gifts for his father and Sirius. The Ravenclaw found a pair of picture frames with Quidditch items decorated along the border. They were relatively simple but Alec figured the ex-convict wouldn't mind having a recent picture of his godson.

Alec struggled to find something perfect for his father. Before he could buy anything, he had to convince the man that he needed to shop alone for a short amount of time. Alec stumbled across a shop that sold all sorts of unique gadgets. The boy ordered an elegant silver pocket watch and paid extra to have the Snape family crest inscribed on it. The watch wouldn't be ready until Christmas Eve; therefore Binky would have to be the one to pick it up since Severus was not likely to venture out on Christmas Eve.

Alec finished wrapping his friends' gifts and set them aside. He made his way down to the dining room where his father was sitting at the table sipping his coffee.

"Have you wrapped up the gifts?" Severus asked as Alec took a seat across from him.

"Yes. I just finished wrapping them." Alec replied as Binky popped in.

"Can Binky get anything for young Master Snape?"

"May I please have some hot chocolate?" Alec asked and Binky nodded her head before popping away. The elf reappeared with a cup of steaming hot chocolate with whipped cream on top.

"Thanks Binky," Alec said as he accepted the hot beverage. He then turned his attention to his father and asked, "What time do we leave?"

"We will depart at ten thirty." Severus replied. At precisely ten thirty, Severus used a portkey to deposit them a short walk away from their destination.

"These are some nice houses," Alec commented as they walked up the street. The houses along were large and extravagant-looking. The two wizards walked until they stopped in front of the house number 610. The house was white with columns supporting the top floors. The front yard was very large and the entire place was surrounded by a security fence.

Two men who were walking on the premises, spotted them and began walking towards them.

"Who are you and what do you want?" One of the men asked as they approached.

"My name is Severus Snape and my son Alec is here to visit with Ms. Bellini."

"Please enter. We were under the impression that you would be arriving in a vehicle." Severus looked towards Alec with a slightly questioning gaze as they entered through the opening gates.

"A vehicle is a muggle transportation device," Alec whispered to his father and pointed slightly towards a car in the driveway.

Severus stared over at the car briefly and quietly muttered, "Abnormal looking muggle invention." Alec stifled a laugh as they headed towards the front entrance with their two escorts. It was a sight to behold when they entered with all the Christmas decorations along with other artifacts displayed.

"Alec!" Lisa exclaimed happily as she descended the stairs with Josh in tow.

"Hi Lisa, hi Josh. How have your holidays been so far?" Alec asked.

"Pretty good," Josh replied as he followed Lisa down.

"Mine has been good, too. You?" Lisa inquired as she reached the bottom step.

"So far it has been wonderful. Its nice to get a short break from school." Alec added.

"Why don't I show you my room and a little later we can exchange gifts." Lisa suggested and Alec nodded before turning to his father.

"I will return at four," Severus informed his son, who gave him a quick hug. Severus left and Alec followed Lisa to her room. The room was decorated with light pink wallpaper and white furniture. She had a four poster bed similar to those in the dorms, a desk with several papers scattered about, a large bookshelf filled with various books and several comfortable looking chairs in the corner.

"Nice room," Alec commented as he glanced around.

"Thanks. So what have you been up to so far? Have you finished your homework yet?" Lisa questioned as she plopped down in a light blue chair. The three Ravenclaws relaxed and conversed about their vacation along with upcoming plans. Lunch was served at twelve and once they finished eating, they exchanged their gifts. Lisa loved the gift that Alec brought along with a rare book that Josh bought for her. Josh was ecstatic over the signed poster and enjoyed the Quidditch book that Lisa perchased for him.  Alec received Quidditch through the Ages from Josh and he got a self-inking quill and parchment kit from Lisa.

For the rest of the afternoon, they relaxed and enjoyed each other's company without having to worry about finishing homework or going to any classes. Unfortunately their time together came to an end when four o'clock rolled around. Severus returned for Alec while Mr. Johnson arrived for Josh.

"Are we getting a Christmas tree?" Alec asked after they departed from the Bellini residence.

"I suppose we will get a tree. I have not participated in the Christmas festivities for quite some time. Would you be adverse to the idea of going out tonight to get a tree?"  Severus questioned the young boy alongside him.

"I'd like that very much! Where do we get the tree from?" Alec asked curiously.

"There are plenty of trees located behind our residence and those will be sufficient to use." Severus explained.

"You're going to cut down a tree? That will take forever!" Alec exclaimed.

"Are you forgetting that we are wizards? It requires a simple spell to cut the tree and I will levitate it the rest of the way to the house." Severus looked amusedly at his son.

"I was thinking like a muggle," Alec mumbled as they arrived into the alley. Severus held out the portkey and they were swept away to their manor.

,...........................................................

After they finished their evening meal, Severus ordered Alec to bundle up since it was rather chilly outside. They left the house and trekked towards the trees located behind their residence. After walking for a short while, they came across the perfect tree. The tree was not overly large but not small either. It was perfect.

Severus cut down the chosen tree easily and levitated it until they arrived inside the living room area, where he proceeded to lower the fir into the stand. He added a sufficient amount of water to keep the tree alive and he pulled out dusty ornaments that were stashed away for quite some time. Father and son spent the remainder of the evening placing decorations on the tree and several holiday items throughout the room.

"Would you like to place the star on top?" Severus asked Alec when the star was the only item remaining.

Alec's face lit up. "I would love to! I have always wanted to place the star up top."

Severus handed Alec the star and picked him up. Alec had grown since the adoption but he was still small and easy for Severus to lift. The potions master raised Alec and he carefully placed the star on top of the tree.

"It is late and you should get to bed. We can add any additional decorations tomorrow before your other guests arrive." Severus shooed the boy upstairs to sleep.

............................................................

The fireplace flared green and two men stumbled out of the fire. A sandy-haired man came out behind the dark-haired man.

"Hello Sirius," Alec greeted as his godfather regained his footing from flooing.

"I hate flooing," Sirius mumbled as he straightened up. "Alec, I'd like you to meet a friend of mine. This is Remus Lupin." He introduced his sandy-haired companion.

"It's nice to meet you Mr. Lupin." Alec held out his hand to shake the older man's hand.

"You may call me Remus." Remus shook the out stretched hand.  "I feel old being called Mr. Lupin," he added.

"Where is Snape?" Sirius asked as he examined the room they arrived in.

"He is in the lab finishing a potion. He said it was complex and not to disturb him unless there was an emergency." Alec informed them as he relaxed in a chair and invited them to do the same.

"Oh. Does that mean he's going to join us when he's done?" Sirius asked with a slight grimace.

"This is his house Sirius," Remus pointed out.

"He will be done in about ten minutes so once he is finished he will join us," said Alec.

"How has school been for you?" Remus asked.

"I love it. It's much better than my old school and I have learned lots." Alec replied.

"What are your favorite subjects?" Remus questioned.

"I like Potions, Transfiguration, and Charms. Herbology is okay, History is boring with Binns teaching, and Astronomy is alright. Defense is fun to learn but the teacher tends to get off topic a lot."

"Binns even bored Remmy over here and he loves learning," Sirius commented. "I still don't know why the hat didn't place you in Ravenclaw."

"I like to read but that does not automatically mean that I will end up in Ravenclaw," Remus replied defensively.

"Lupin, Black," A voice greeted neutrally from the doorway.

"Snape," Sirius acknowledged back.

"Severus," Remus addressed. "We appreciate that you are allowing us into your home to visit with Alec." Severus did not respond and a tense silence descended on the room.

Sirius cleared his throat and turned his attention on his godson. "Would you like to open you gift now?" Alec looked towards his father for permission and received a light nod in response.

Alec went over to the well-decorated tree and pulled out the gift with Sirius' name written on the tag. "Here, this is for you." Alec handed Sirius the gift and Sirius handed Alec his. "I'm sorry that I was unable to get you anything Remus. I did not know at the time I was shopping that you were going to visit."

Remus just waved off the apology, "That's perfectly fine. I do have a gift for you though." The sandy-haired man handed Alec a small wrapped gift.

"Open yours first," Sirius instructed and Alec complied.

"Thank you very much!" Alec exclaimed as he unwrapped the broom polishing kit. The broom he received for his birthday could use some polishing up.

Alec set the kit aside and opened the gift from Remus. It was a book titled Finding Your Inner Animal: Animagus Training by James Potter. Alec looked up to Remus with wide eyes.

Remus answered the unasked question, "Yes, James did write this book. It contains all the notes that he took when he attempted the transformation. I thought you might like to own something that was James'."

Alec smiled up gratefully at Remus, "Thank you."

"Do not attempt anything in that book alone or without adult supervision." Severus warned.

"Let the kid learn to be an animagus. He has good potential to become one. You can even study it with him."

Severus sneered at Sirius. "Who says that I need to study that book?"

Sirius looked at Snape skeptically. "You can't be an animagus." He stated.

"Why not?" Severus questioned as he smirked at the man lounging in front of him.

"Prove it then."

"Are you really an animagus dad?" Sirius winced slightly at Alec's last word. The man would probably never get used to his godson referring to anyone other than James as father.

"Can I please see your form?" Alec asked excitedly.

"May I," Severus murmured as he stood up. He slowly shifted into a large black animal. Severus' animagus form was a panther. Alec rose from his seat and approached the large animal that was his father. He stroked the fur and managed to trigger a soft purring sound from the large cat. Alec eventually stopped his ministrations and allowed his father to return to his normal state.

"That was so cool!" Alec announced.

"Your full of surprises aren't you Snape?" Sirius commented. Binky chose that moment to pop in and announce that dinner was served. Alec spent the remainder of the evening chatting and relaxing with the others. Sirius and Remus realized it was getting late when Alec yawned. They prepared to leave when Severus stopped Remus.

The potions master shoved two vials into the man's hands. Remus examined the contents and his eyes widened when he realized what they were.

"Is this--" Remus spared a glance over at the boy who appeared to be falling asleep in his chair. Severus gave a brisk nod in response. "Thank you very much. I really appreciate it." Remus said with sincerity. Sirius went over to his godson and said his good byes to the half-asleep boy. Alec mumbled a thank you and goodbye before dozing back off. Sirius and Remus used the floo to return home after the wonderful evening they had.

Severus looked over at his son, who was fast asleep and picked up the small boy. Severus carried him and gently placed his on his bed. He tucked Alec in and turned off the lights before heading to bed himself.

.................................................................

Severus snapped open his eyes when he felt someone staring at him. His son was standing in front of him, still clad in his pajamas. "What is it you require at," Severus glanced at the clock, "seven a.m.?"

"It's Christmas! Come on! You have to get up! Please!" Alec begged excitedly. Severus grumbled good-naturedly and proceeded to get up. He allowed the young boy to practically drag him downstairs and into the sitting room. There were several packages located around the tree.

"I shall open my gifts when you are finished," Severus informed Alec, who wasted no time digging into his pile of gifts. The first gift Alec opened was a small box of candy which consisted of Chocolate Frogs, Bertie Botts Beans, Ice Mice and Cockroach Clusters, all from the Weasley twins. Since the train ride, he has kept in contact with the boys even though it was sometimes hard to understand them when they finished each other's sentences.

The next gift he opened was a box of lemon drops courtesy of the Headmaster. He hoped that the Headmaster would like the gift he sent. While he was out shopping in Diagon Alley, he came across a pair of socks that had mini-lemon drops designed on it. It was rather simple but hopefully the man liked the socks.

Alec opened the next gift which turned out to be an Invisibility Cloak. The note did not say who it was from, although Severus speculated that it was from the Headmaster. Apparently this cloak belonged to James at one point and it was only right for Alec to get it.

There was a good-sized gift for Alec that was from his father. When the wrapping was gone, a wooden chest was revealed. There were several drawers and when Alec opened one, it revealed ingredients.

"The potion components located in this drawer are specifically for entertainment purposes." Severus pulled A Potions Guide for Pranks from the drawer and showed it to Alec. "This book has several ideas that you may consider using if you feel the need to prank your fellow classmates. Additional standard potion ingredients can be found in the other compartments. The chest is designed to assist in the preservation of these components by maintaining a suitable temperature." Severus explained.

"Wow! Thank you very much!" Alec gave his father a hug before handing over a wrapped parcel with Severus' name on it. "This is from me. I hope you like it."

Severus carefully unwrapped his gift and extracted the silver pocket watch from the tissue paper located inside the box. "Thank you," Severus said as he examined the watch. The Snape crest was etched on it and the watch was attached to a silver chain.

Severus opened his last two gifts. From Albus, he received a box of lemon drops just as Alec did. The other gift was from his son's two best friends. They included a short card that wished him a happy Christmas along with a scarf made up of Slytherin colors.

Binky popped in when they were finished unwrapping everything, "Would you sirs like to eat now?"

"Yes. We will be there shortly." Severus responded.

Alec stood and gave his father a big hug. "Thank you so much for everything! This is the best Christmas I have ever had!"

"Me too," muttered Severus.

Chapter End Notes:
My version of Snape knows nothing about muggles or thier inventions so Alec has to explain things (with amusement of course).

The potions for Remus was that certain nasty tasting liquid that basically enables Remus to keep his mind during his transformation. Nice Christmas present, yes?

Eek... Two chapters to go!