Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Summer Ends

Harry was practically glowing with happiness for the next few days. For the first time in his life, he had a room to call his own, a real bed, clothes that actually fit him, all the books to read and toys that were his, not Dudley’s. Seeing Harry this happy caused some more ice to thaw off Severus’ heart. He was not a man of many emotions but this child was bringing out the feelings that he kept hidden from everyone, except for Lily, who knew him well. She was the only one to care for him even when he insulted her, trying to get her away from himself. She ignored everything and took the time to be his friend and practically the sister that he always wanted. Severus was reminded daily of her through her son. Harry not only had her eyes, but her intelligence. He was very intuitive for his age and loved reading with a passion. Seeing bits of Lily in him helped Severus disregard the fact that Harry was James Potter’s son. When he thought of her, it didn’t really matter much to him that this child was thawing his icy cold heart.

“Harry, I am going to begin teaching you some things this summer.” Severus began one day. “I will be teaching you Occlumency after breakfast every morning. It would help if you read this book soon.” Severus handed Harry a book that came off the bookshelf in Severus’ rooms. “I will also be teaching you basic Wizarding etiquette, so that you know how to properly act around others. I will even consider teaching you fencing since I was taught fencing when I was younger. I know you have read books on potions but you have yet to brew one.” Harry looked excited at the opportunity to brew a potion. He had done plenty of reading on basic potions skills and how ingredients reacted when placed together. “We will work on etiquette and fencing during the afternoons and potions in the evenings. On Fridays afternoons, you may choose any subject that you would like to learn and I will instruct you in that it.” Severus concluded.

“That sounds great!” Harry said enthusiastically. He was definitely ready to begin learning more and practicing magic.

“I talked to Albus and he said that you may get your wand at the end of the summer. For now, you will be using a spare wand that I have around here.”

“Can I try a spell with it?” Harry was certainly full of questions. Once Severus assured him that he would not be punished for asking questions, Harry took advantage of the fact and was constantly asking about things that he learned or heard about.

Severus summoned the wand and preceded to hand it to Harry. Harry picked up the wand and knew that it was not a match, but that it would do until he had a wand of his own. “Lumos.” Harry said and the tip of the wand lit up. “Yes!” Harry exclaimed ecstatically. That was the first spell he had tried and it worked successfully.

“I do not mind you practicing with the wand but I would like you to only practice spells and charms that I have seen you do. I do not want you testing spells without me to oversee your attempts. Once you have shown me that you can correctly cast a spell, you can practice it all you want.” Severus said sternly. It would not be good if Harry practiced spells on his own and something bad happened when no one was around.

“Yes sir-Severus.” Harry was still in the habit of saying sir but Severus did not mind him using his name so there was no reason not to use it.

That was the start to the best summer vacation that Harry had ever had. In a way, it was the best summer that Severus had too since his summer vacations were always filled with potion-making or being by himself. Harry had really opened up to Severus and they both began to get closer. While teaching Harry Occlumency, Severus was able to get a better description about Harry’s life with the Dursley’s. Harry had even opened up to Severus and explained the reasoning behind some of the punishments that Severus saw during their lessons. The reasons for which Harry was punished were completely barbaric since Dudley would constantly do the same thing and not even be rebuked for it. Whether the punishment was justified or not, did not matter since it was done and over with.

Severus planned to have them put in jail but ironically enough, Vernon drank too much one night and ended up killing himself in a car accident along with Petunia. Dudley had been at a friend’s house and was later sent to live with Aunt Marge. They always called Harry’s parents good-for-nothing lazy drunks who got themselves killed and died exactly as they had described!

Harry felt truly alone in the world after that incident. He may not have cared for his family, but he never wanted them to die. Severus was there to help him through the tough times and that caused Harry to cling to him. Surprisingly enough, Severus was not nearly as uncomfortable as before. In the beginning he didn’t know how to behave himself with Harry because he did not usually have this much contact with children but the little boy wormed his way into his icy heart.

Harry progressed well through all of his studies and especially potions. Since Severus was a potions master, Harry knew that the man would be pleased with him if he was proficient in the subject. Harry read just about all the potions books he could get his hands on and studied them as much as he could. Harry never received praise at the Dursley’s for anything he did, but with Severus, he was constantly praised for the things that he accomplished. Harry became excellent when working with potions because it pleased Severus and also because he enjoyed making them.

Harry was also well versed in Wizarding etiquette along with fencing. Harry seemed to have a natural talent with handling the swords. Occlumency was also going pretty good, especially for a child Harry’s age. It was helpful to learn when younger, but it could also be more difficult. Severus was able to see many of his memories, to Harry’s embarrassment, but the man used this opportunity to discuss his relatives and helped Harry get over the abuse the boy had suffered while in their ‘care’. The small boy surely still had nightmares, which Severus was there for him, and the occasional flashbacks, but overall, he was progressing rather well. Unfortunately, August was coming to an end, therefore school would be starting pretty soon. Harry was only ten so he was supposed to wait another year before school started.

During the last week of August, Severus was called up to Albus’ office to discuss what would be happening with Harry once the school term started. Severus entered the office after mumbling another candy name for the password.

“Good afternoon Severus. Lemon Drop?” Albus asked merrily as he popped one in his mouth.

“No.” Severus scowled.

“How are you and Mr. Potter getting along?” Severus spent most of his time with Harry or potion-making and rarely saw the headmaster.

“Fine. I taught him Occlumency, among other things, and he has begun to open up with me and we have discussed those wretched relatives of his.” Severus replied in a bored tone.

“Good, good.” Albus commented. Severus looked up and frowned when he saw those blue eyes twinkling back at him. Obviously the headmaster was up to something.

“What is it this time?” Severus asked as he massaged his temples, mentally preparing himself for the next scheme that he was about to hear of.

“Do you recall the discussion that we had a while back after you told Mr. Potter of his parents’ deaths?” A sharp nod was the confirmation he received. “You told me how he wanted just to be normal. What I am proposing is for you to adopt Harry using a potion that will give him your features. You can give him a new name and a new start to life.” He paused to give Severus a moment to let the idea settle in. “This would also allow Harry to grow up without the entire Wizarding world knowing of every little thing that he does. He could just be a normal child.”

“You certainly gave this a lot of thought.” Blue eyes just twinkled back at Severus. “If, and I mean if, we follow through with this plan, what will Harry do for the school year?” Severus asked wearily.

“Well, if he is as bright as you say, then we can enroll him as a student and he can begin a year earlier than planned. No one would suspect him of being Harry Potter since Harry would be ten at this time.” Albus seemed to have answers to everything.

“He does not look like a ten or even an eleven-year-old. He has gained weight but not that much.” Severus commented.

“Once he takes the potion to make him your son, he should grow taller since all Snapes are known to be tall. Other features should change and he should look close enough to eleven for this to work.”

“I am not agreeing to this idea because I will be discussing it with Harry first. If he agrees then we can proceed accordingly.” With that said, Snape stalked out of the office and back to comfort of his own rooms. When he entered, he saw Harry curled up asleep on the couch with an open book across his lap. He couldn’t stop the small smile that crept onto his face. It was a good thing that no one else saw that, or else they might faint from such a sight. Severus’ heart may have thawed, but the only person to see that was Harry.

Severus walked over to the sleeping boy and shook his shoulder lightly. Harry sat up slowly and rubbed his eyes in attempt to wake up.

“Is it time for lessons?” Harry asked, trying to recall if he fell asleep rather than having lessons like he was supposed to.

“No, I just wanted to ask you something. You do not have to answer me now.” Harry immediately sat up straighter and paid more attention to whatever important bit of information Severus was about to share with him. “Albus called me into his office to discuss what would happen to you while school was in session. I know that you don’t want to be the Boy-Who-Lived so Albus came up with a plan so that you can be a normal child. I would adopt you with the use of a potion that would make you my child by blood. You would take on a new name along with some of my traits. You would not change completely and technically you would still have your mother and father’s blood, but yet with mine mixed in. You would most likely look a combination of all three of us.” Severus explained to the boy who was sitting in shock next to him.

“You would want to adopt me and make me your son?” Harry practically whispered, fearful of his answer.

“Yes.” Severus said without hesitation. “I had been considering adopting you in the first place so I am not doing this for Albus either.” Before he knew what was happening, he had a lap full of an overjoyed ten-year-old hugging him.

”Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!” Harry mumbled with his face buried in Severus’ robes.

Severus actually chuckled lightly. “I take it you would like to follow through with this plan?” Harry just nodded and held onto Severus. “I will be sure to inform Albus and I will brew the potion immediately.” At this moment, Harry was the happiest child on the planet. He was finally getting the one thing he always wanted: a family.