Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I’d like to give a special thanks to my Husband. He kindly took over Beta duties while LovesRickman is under the weather. As always, I claim all mistakes as mine.
Chapter 14: Complicated Coincidences

Harry and Ron looked at each other and rolled their eyes, trying very hard not to laugh. Hermione had been talking excitedly nonstop every since Harry had mentioned taking another trip down into the Chamber.

"What is all that blasted racket? Who dares...oh, it is you three. I wondered when I would see you again. Granted, I thought you would be in here a lot sooner." Salazar stopped mid thought, taking in Harry's new appearance. "What have you done to yourself boy? Why is a Gryffindor trying to look like the head of my house?"

"What?!?" Harry squawked indignantly.

Ron and Hermione looked to each other, unsure if they should laugh or be just as upset as their friend. In the end Ron snorted, and Hermione took a closer look, trying to see what the portrait saw.

"You know, Harry, Slytherin has a point. Your bone structure is much...sharper than it was, and from the side you do bare a vague, far off resemblance to Snape." Hermione explained.

Harry growled, "Well, that settles it. I refuse to walk around looking anything like that man." Harry then turned to Hermione, putting his hands on her shoulders, and looked into her eyes with a desperate look. "Please, Hermione, you have got to figure out what happened to that Glamour, and how to fix it. In the mean time you really need to help me fix a new Glamour so I can look like me again. Please, Hermione." Harry was pleading by the time he finished.

"Really, Harry! Don't you think your taking this a bit far? I mean, come on, what happened to it being ok to not have to look like "The-Boy-Who-Lived or The Chosen One" anymore? You really do act so childish where Snape is concerned." Hermione said with a huff. But she couldn't bear to see that defeated look in her friend's eyes. "Fine, I'll research for you. But, only after all my more important research is finished, ok?"

Harry pulled Hermione into a hug, and whispered into her ear, "Thank you, Hermione! You really are the best."

"Well, if you youngsters are done with this abhorrent display of affection, can we please get to why you are here disrupting my quiet?" Salazar said, with a sneer that provided plenty of proof that the Slytherin sneer did in fact start with the man himself.

"Yes, sorry, Sir." Hermione said as she dug through her notes. "As you said, I'm sorry it took us so long to get back here. But we were given more information on what happened the night Harry's parents died, and I wanted to look through all of that before I came back to talk. I figured you would appreciate us having more information to help all of us understand what happened."

Salazar looked very interested when Hermione mentioned the new information. "Where did this information come from? From what you told me before, no one really knew what happened that night."

Hermione quickly explained where she got the information, and why they didn't have it before. "Can we please hear about what happened with your wife and children?" Hermione asked after she finished her explanation.

They watched as Slytherin rubbed his chin, "Our kind was scattered and most magic was home taught, and then only what was specifically needed to run the family business. Only the richest families could afford a tutor that could teach a complete magical education. When Helga's son and Godric's daughter did not show much potential in their family's specialties; they got the idea for the four of us to teach all of our children together so that each could learn at least the basics from the different areas we each specialized in. We all saw the potential for our children, so we agreed quickly. The children were split into age groups and rotated between each of us weekly, keeping them a few hours everyday after lunch so that they could still help in their chores. It was not long after that, though, that our neighbors saw what we were doing and asked if their children could join in as well. That is when Godric got the idea to start building a school, and I do believe the rest is in your history on Hogwarts.

Now, the troubles did not get very bad until years later. Attacks were getting more frequent, and it was not very safe outside of the castle grounds, as we had the lake, forest, and new Muggle repelling charms to help protect us. We rarely left, and when we did it was only to stock up on supplies. Unfortunately, it was one of those trips that cost me my family. Many families were lost because the parents would do what they could, trying to give their children time to escape, only to die in the process and afterwards the kids were easily killed as well. We were trying to turn their deaths into something the children could use to survive by creating a Protection Rite. We thought we had it worked out. My wife died for our boys, when their supply caravan was attacked, and the protection we thought that act of sacrifice would have invoked, failed. I lost my entire family that day. Lost in my grief, I started my campaign to stop Muggleborns and Half-Bloods from being able to attend the school. The arguments escalated, and I left." Salazar finished looking very sad.

"Excuse me, Sir, but if your children all died that day, how did your line continue?" Ron asked.

"I found a Pure-Blood family during my travels that agreed with my views. They requested that I marry their daughter to assure the continuation of both of our family lines. Their older children had also been killed, and she was the last of their line. We had five more children, three girls and two boys. They never could replace my first family in my heart, but they did lighten it some in my old age." Salazar said with a small smile, but he sobered up quickly before he continued, "Now, can either of you tell me exactly what happened the night the Potters were murdered? You explained before, but I would like as much detail as possible, as we never know what might be helpful."

Hermione gave her notes a quick look over before she began, "You know the basics; James told Lily to take Harry and run, Voldemort broke in, killed....."

Before she could get any further Harry interrupted. "SNAPE! I can't believe I had forgotten. Snape is the one that gave the prophecy to Voldemort. He's the reason Voldemort came after me. He's the reason my life has been a complete nightmare. He's...He...ARGH! I can't believe Dumbledore!" Here Harry turned to Hermione and looked her directly in the eyes. "I found out that night, Hermione, and I asked him. Dumbledore actually got mad at me over it. He'd never been so upset with me, and then threatened to not take me. Should have known it was an act. There was no way he could have gotten out of that cave if he had been alone, and I bet you he knew that before we left. ARGH!! I can't believe this, and of course after everything that happened that night, that little piece of info just slipped my mind."

Ron went over and put his hands on Harry's shoulders. "Calm down, mate. You need to slow down and explain. We understand your upset, but we can't help you figure this out if you're talking faster than Hermione does. Ow! Hermione, what was that for?"

Hermione just glared at Ron, before turning her attention back to Harry. "Now, let me see if I have this straight? You found out that Snape was the one that gave Voldemort the prophesy right before Dumbledore and yourself left for the cave. You asked Dumbledore about it, and he got upset with you, and told you that you couldn't go unless you dropped the subject." Seeing Harry nod, she continued, "But then with everything that happened that night, you forgot that detail." After another nod, "Ok, I understand all that, but why are you so upset now?"

"Hermione, don't you understand? If Snape gave Voldemort that kind of information, who's to say he's trust worthy enough to keep the information about the Hor...um our hunt to himself? How can the greatest Wizard to ever live mess up so horribly by trusting that no good, two faced Slytherin?" Harry asked, his tone more defeated than angry now.

Hermione and Ron looked stunned, Salazar looked affronted.

"Now, look here young man. You will neither insult the Head of my House, nor my House like that. I am sure there is information you just do not have at this moment, and you need to consider that before you continue to insult your elders. Now think about this as rationally as your Gryffindor brain will let you. Is there anything you can do about this realization at the moment?" Harry rubbed his temples for a moment, and then shook his head no. "Ok, does this affect our discussion?" Again, a shake no. "Well then, I suggest you calm down and quit flying off the handle, so that we can finish our business."

"You're right, Sir. And I'm sorry. It's just such a shock. But please, can we continue?" Harry said apologetically, leaving Ron and Hermione gob smacked.

"Very well. Now, I understand that James was murdered, and then Voldemort went after Lily and Harry. Did anything else happen, or are those all the facts from that night?" Salazar asked calmly.

"Well, no. Dumbledore's notes emphasized that Voldemort gave Lily a choice. The notes didn't have the exact wording, but from what he had gathered from Harry's visions of that night; Voldemort told Lily that she could walk away that night, all she had to do was give Harry to him. She refused to leave Harry, so Voldemort killed her and...well that's where no one understands what happened, some how the curse didn't affect Harry. We do understand why Voldemort's spirit lived on even after his body was destroyed, though. That has to do with the artifact that we mentioned on our last visit," Hermione explained.

Salazar was rubbing his chin, lost in thought as Hermione finished. "I see. It is much more complicated than I originally thought. This may be where my Rite went wrong. Let us list the differences, shall we? First, only my wife died; whereas both of your parents died. Lily was given a choice; whereas my sweet Erpeta was ambushed and killed without warning. I highly doubt the Muggles that murdered my wife and children had any artifact to keep them alive even after the death of their bodies, so that is a possible difference." Salazar paused, lost in thought.

"Sir?" Hermione asked quietly. "Do you think the types, or reasons behind the murders would count? From what you've told us, your family was killed by Muggles that were scared of something different. Voldemort committed premeditated murder on Harry's family."

"But was it premeditation if he gave Mum that choice? To me that sounds as if his plan included letting Mum live," said Harry.

"No offence, mate, but when have you ever known Voldemort to just let a Muggleborn live and walk away from an attack? Just because he said he was giving her a choice, doesn't mean he was planning on following through with it. He probably had some sick and twisted plan to make her watch your death, and then kill her. After what we learned his own mother did, I doubt he fully understood that she, or most mothers for that matter, wouldn't have chosen their own life above their child's," Ron explained.

"While this is both insightful and thought provoking, I doubt it matters much," Salazar said breaking into the debate. "I wonder. Yes, it might still be here. Would the three of you mind searching these bookshelves for a dark green book with bold, silver script on the cover? It might prove very useful by shedding some light and brightening our path to knowledge."

Harry, Ron, and Hermione then spent the next thirty minutes searching throughout the many bookshelves that covered the walls in the Founder's office. It seemed like most of Salazar's books were dark green, and all covered in dust, making the search for the one with silver script both a tedious and dirty job. Finally after what felt like forever to Harry and Ron, Hermione squealed.

"I think I've found it. Is it called ‘Slytherin Familia Maiores', this is the only one with the bold, silver script?" Hermione asked showing the book to Salazar after she read the title.

"Very good, you have found it. Now, can you look to see if my future generations were recorded correctly? Go on and turn to the back and search for the Gaunt family. We know for a fact that they were among the last of my line," said Salazar.

Hermione carefully flipped through the book, mindful of its age, until she came to the last pages with print. There in chart form was the Gaunt family tree. "Yes, here they are," she replied.

"Now, compare their entries with the entries of my second family. Do you see the mark that represents the Ara Parens Carus Ritus?"

"I believe so. Yes, here it is. It was done each for child, including Tom Riddle," she said, showing the charts to Harry and Ron, before turning it to Salazar to see for himself.

"Well, we might have found the reason for your survival Mr. Potter. But, before I explain my thoughts, could you please describe what you know about the end of Merope Riddle's life, as well as the beginning of Tom Riddle's?" asked Salazar.

Harry then took the next hour to explain in full detail all he had learned from Dumbledore about life at the Gaunt house, and then the birth of Tom Riddle that led to the death of Merope. "So you see, she just gave up. Instead of living for her son, she chose to die and leave him in that orphanage," Harry said, finishing his narrative.

"Very sad ending to such a powerful bloodline," Salazar said shaking his head in disappointment, "Oh, Rowena, forgive me for never believing you. My line has paid the most horrendous price for my hatred." Salazar covered his face in disgrace.

"I'm sorry, Sir. But does this help shed any light on how I survived? I'm not seeing the connection," Harry said.

"Merlin, what are they teaching the children in this day and age? Do you not understand the most basic fact of Magic Rites? Magic Rites require a balance, always seeking that balance between light and dark. That balance started to shift into the dark when Marvolo Riddle abused his daughter. It then further shifted when Merope chose death over living for her son, and Riddle himself was the cause of Mr. Potter's survival. You see the Rite that my wife and I designed was created to protect the children after their parents' deaths. With Riddle's own protection unbalanced as it was, I believe that when he killed young Mr. Potter's parents his own protection shifted to Harry here, seeking to balance what had been skewed. That combined with Lily Potter's choice to die for her son caused enough protection in Mr. Potter that Voldemort's own Killing Curse rebounded onto himself. I doubt the Rite alone was strong enough to fully protect against the Killing Curse." Salazar looked rather impressed with himself, if the smug look on his face was anything to go by.

Harry and Ron still looked slightly confused, but Hermione looked as if this just created more questions for her.

"How was it that Merope was able to complete the Rite if she lived just long enough to name her son?" she asked.

"Did I not explain to you how and when the Rite was done? No, how remiss of me. I am sorry. For all intents and purposes the Ara Parens Carus Ritus is fairly simply completed. It can be completed by one or both parents, and is best done while the child is still in the womb, but that is not to say that it can not be performed after the child is born." Salazar continued to explain the Rite to the knowledge seeking witch, in great detail. Harry and Ron just sat back and let the explanation flow over them as they dozed on one of the couches in the office. They both awoke with a start when they heard Hermione's voice rise slightly.

"That is an incredible Rite you created, but I still do not understand how that created a link between Harry and Voldemort. Do you have any theories on that?" Hermione asked.

"I can not be exactly sure, but it could have to do with the fact that the danger of Voldemort was still there even after the Killing Curse rebounded. When that wasn't enough, the Rite very well could have awakened Mr. Potter's magic to help protect the child. His magic then could have tried to absorb Riddle's magic so that the threat would no longer be there. At this point Riddle's Artifact probably caused another imbalance and the link was created to balance everything out once again," Salazar finished explaining, looking at Harry in contemplation.

"So, you think my magic created the link, not the other way around? If that is the case, do you think I could learn how to control that link? This could be the ‘Power the Dark Lord knows not'. Merope didn't live long enough to teach the family traditions to her son, so there was no way Tom Riddle could have ever learned about the Rite. Well, no, never mind. He told me himself he should have remembered about that ancient magic when he was ranting in the Graveyard after his re-birth," Harry looked defeated when he finished his explanation.

Hermione latched onto the idea though. "No, Harry, you could be onto something here. If your magic did in fact create this link, then it should be stronger on your end. You should be able to learn how to manipulate it, or at the very least you could learn to do what we had told the Order you were doing to get the information. This could help us quite a bit, Harry, don't dismiss it just because it's not the final blow," Hermione looked renewed with the newest information they had gathered. "Thank you, Sir. You don't know just how much help you've given us. Now, I think we should be getting home. It's getting close to dinner time, and I'd rather not have to deal with a house full of upset Slytherins."

Harry and Ron both agreed, and after a round of thank yous and goodbyes, the trio made their way out of the Chamber and back to the Cabinet.

"Remember, we have to deal with three Slytherins in the house now, not just one. Ron, I know you hate Malfoys almost as much as I hate Voldemort, but can you please not start anything? Now, don't look at me like that, I didn't say you couldn't finish it if they started it. Ow! Hermione, what has gotten into you recently?" Harry asked as he rubbed the spot the witch had pinched on his arm.

"Now, really you two. Are you not adults now?" This made Harry and Ron snort, after all she had reduced herself to pinching both of them that night. "You shouldn't be fighting at all. They are on our side now, and frankly, we can use all the help we can get." Hermione rolled her eyes at the looks she was getting. "Yes, I know it's Malfoys we are talking about here. But Harry had the right idea, let's not start anything. I highly doubt they are going to hex us in your home, Harry. It might be hard, but we need to trust in Dumbledore. He knew what he was doing, we need to follow his lead. If there are any doubts, we could always see about having a private chat with the portrait in the Headmistress' office. But for now can we go home? I'd really like to rest some, I'm still feeling a bit off from that curse," she said as she rubbed her chest.

"Of course, Hermione. I'm sorry. We shouldn't have spent so much time down in the Chamber. Although, that was mostly your doing, now that I think of it." Harry said with a cheeky grin.

"Yeah, I'm sorry, Hermione. Let's get you home, you've over worked that brain of yours enough for one day," Ron added and then ducked as a Bat-Bogey Hex was tossed his way.

They were all giggling as they went through the Cabinet to their home, forgetting for the moment the stress that was waiting their return.

*~~*~~*~~*

The trio noisily made their way to the kitchen. As they passed the library, they were stopped short by a condescending drawl.

"Do the three of you always feel the need to make so much noise? Weasel I can at least understand, but Granger and Potter? From what I've been told the two of you were raised better. Even Muggles have manners," Draco snarled.

Trying to keep the boys from starting a fight, Hermione decided to answer as quickly and as upbeat as possible. "We are very happy with the way our day has turned out. Not even you can bring us down, Malfoy. Come on guys, I'm starved. I never knew gathering knowledge could stir up such an appetite, the library never did this to me," Hermione said, as she pulled Harry and Ron towards the kitchen steps.

"Yeah, let's go see what Dobby brought us for dinner. All that climbing gave me an appetite too," Ron agreed, for once not letting Draco's harsh words effect him.

Harry just glared at Draco before going off to the kitchen to look through that night's options. It wasn't long, however, that the kitchen was invaded by the Slytherin trio.

"Do tell, what has the three of you so unnaturally hyper, even for Gryffindors?" Snape asked.

Harry grinned cheekily, and then asked, "Can't tell ya, at least not until you let me know just how much I can say in front of them. You see we took a little...trip while we were at the school. It was a very successful trip, too. Don't glare at me like that, you're the one who wanted to keep our recent...findings as quiet as possible. I do believe you said the less that knew the better," Harry said as he finished setting the serving dishes onto the table.

Both of Snape's eyebrows shot to his hairline. "You went back down there, didn't you? I take it, Miss Granger, that you completed your research?" Upon receiving a nod, Snape continued, "Very well then. Do enlighten us all. I do believe this will intrigue Lucius and Draco greatly, and it is not as if any of us can get down into the Chamber without Mr. Potter's assistance. Draco, you may regret your insults from earlier," Snape said, finishing with a smirk. He had already told Draco not to bait the Gryffindors, and now it might just come back to bite him.

"It was your research, Hermione, why don't you explain?" Harry said, before taking a bite.

"Chicken!" Hermione mumbled, before she started to explain. "We believe we have figured out just how Harry survived. We were very lucky to have found that portrait. Without Salazar Slytherin's knowledge, we never would have been able to figure it out. It was his family's knowledge that was the key."

"What do you mean portrait of Salazar Slytherin? Severus, they can't be serious, can they?" Lucius said, his normal cold aloofness all but forgotten.

"Yes, they are quite serious. I've had the pleasure of speaking to the portrait myself," Snape answered, he had a gleam in his eyes that looked quite like the late Headmasters trademark twinkle.

"Oh, you were more excited about the carcass and the personal ingredients store, than you were about the portrait and you know it," Harry said with a huge grin. Snape just sniffed and acted as if he hadn't heard a word that Harry had said.

"Wait, you mean the rumors about you fighting and killing a Basilisk our second year were true? Father, did you know about this?" Draco said incredulously.

Ron and Harry snorted, while Hermione said, "Know about it? He not only knew about it, but it was his actions that started it all! Hiding that diary in poor Ginny's cauldron. Yes, yes, I know. He was under orders. But neither of you had to deal with the after math that Ginny did. Poor girl, she still thinks Voldemort can possess her at any time."

"Hermione, now's not the time. You promised!" Harry whispered.

"Yes, I know, back to what we found out. Salazar believes that a traditional Rite he and his first wife created to protect their children, in addition to the protection Lily's death created, helped Harry survive the Killing Curse," Hermione explained.

"How can a Rite, created over one-thousand years ago, help protect a child now? Please explain further," Lucius asked.

"Well, you see, as I said, Salazar created the Rite and the tradition. Most of his line followed the same Rite, up to and including Merope Riddle. Salazar is convinced that the abuse suffered by the Gaunt children, along with Merope not living for her son, caused an unbalance in the magic created by the Rite. When Voldemort killed Harry's parents, his protection transferred to Harry to balance everything out," Hermione explained.

"But how can that...that shouldn't have been able to work like that? I don't understand," Snape said in shock.

"No, Severus, that sounds exactly right. You know how fickle Rite Magic can be. If this specific Rite is designed to protect children, and Voldemort took both of Harry's Blood parents away from him that night, then I can see the magic wanting to balance itself out by protecting the child," Lucius explained quickly, before his friend made a mistake.

"Yes, of course, Lucius. I'm not sure what I was thinking. Now, Miss Granger, I know you got details about the Rite. Please do give us a thorough account of them," said Snape, sounding his usual self once again.

Hermione then spent the rest of dinner going into great detail, just as Salazar had done with her. The group eventually ended up in the library where they could access books, as well as where they could each take a look at Salazar's family history book. They ended the night well into the early morning, having gotten into many debates on how they could use this knowledge against Voldemort. Harry, Ron, and Hermione were still debating on their way up to bed, while Draco just quietly slunk up to his room.

"Severus, are you ok? It is not like you to loose it like that in front of others. What threw you so off balance?" Lucius asked once he knew they were safely behind a Silencing Ward on the door.

"I did not, and still do not understand how the Rite transferred over to Harry if both of his parents had to die to do so. I'm still alive, Lucius. Does this mean Lily was unfaithful? I know she was close with James, but she swore to me that after they tried dating in school they both learned that the most they could be was the best of friends. I thought our love was pure, could I have been so blind?" Severus asked, looking defeated.

"You never did get the chance to explain to me why Harry looks so much like a copy of James, and nothing like you. Could this have something to do with how the Rite thought James was his father?" Lucius asked. "Although I have always had my suspicions."

"The Blood Adoption, of course. James needed an heir, and Lily and I needed a way to make the situation believable. Albus decided that a Glamour would neither last, nor grow with the boy and stay believable, no matter how talented dear Lily was. So, it was decided that James would adopt Harry in a temporary Blood Adoption. I would still be able to claim my right as father once it was safe, and James would be able to have his own heir if he lived long enough.

James was worried that people like you or Fudge would get a hold of his family's money and heirlooms to line their pockets. With him undertaking such a dangerous role as Harry's father, he asked to find a way that Harry could take on the role as his heir, to ensure everything stayed in the hands of those that needed it. I do believe the idea of giving Harry that Merlin forsaken Invisibility Cloak was his last ditch effort at a prank beyond the grave," Severus explained, and then mumbled, "Merlin knows it has given me as much trouble as the Marauders did."

"Hmm, so technically James was Harry's father. Magic isn't very technical when it comes to things like this, but being as unbalanced as it was might have created enough of a possibility," Lucius said.

"We are dealing with a thousand year old Rite, Lucius, created by Salazar Slytherin himself. I'd say just about anything is possible, Harry is alive, that is proof enough for even me," Severus said with a sigh.

"So why is Harry's appearance changing? Voldemort is still around, it is not safe for his true parentage to be known," Lucius asked.

"Salazar might have been correct when he thought that the Horcruxes made the Rite react with Harry's magic and forced it to attack Voldemort's spirit form as well. If that's the case, then Harry's magic would see each Horcrux destruction as a step closer to the truth being safe. There have been three Horcruxes destroyed, and Harry started changing on his seventeenth birthday, if I'm correct. We are lucky he hasn't changed more. As it is, I'm surprised he hasn't seen the resemblance as it is now," explained Severus.

"How can you be sure he hasn't noticed, or that at the very least Granger hasn't noticed? There is not much that escapes that witch's attention," Lucius asked.

"Do you not think he would be up in arms, and demanding to know why he resembles me? He hates everything to do with me. You saw how he reacted when he realized he no longer looked like James. I guarantee his reaction will be ten times worse if he thinks he looks anything like his most hated ex-Professor," Severus said in a snarl. He then rested his head in his hands and mumbled, "I miss Lily, she was the one that understood others so well. She would know how to take this mess and straighten it all out once again. Harry hates me, and I see no chance in the future to possibly change his views. Cherish your son Lucius, if you do nothing else in life make sure you do that!" Severus said.

"Pull yourself together and quit acting like a Hufflepuff! We will find a way for you to be able to reclaim your son. Albus was convinced that all was not lost between yourself and Harry. He knew the boy better than anyone, so if he felt there was still a chance, then there is still a chance," Lucius said, trying his best to steer his friend away from the melancholy he was heading towards.

"I'm a Slytherin and a realist, Lucius, I am merely voicing the truth," said Severus.

"Well," Lucius said trying to change the subject, "can you tell me how your trip earlier went? Did you get things started?" Lucius asked, looking anxious.

"Lucius, you know that if we are going to do this right, it's going to take more than one afternoon to pull it off. This is no simple task you have asked me to perform. Even with my high standing place in the circle, it will take time. Trust me dear friend, I will do what I can to accomplish what you ask." Severus said, as he dismantled the wards and made his way to bed.