Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 18: Ritual Backfire

Harry set the box on the table and went to the food basket hoping Dobby had refilled it. A trip into the Chamber always left Harry feeling hungry, among other things. ‘Merlin bless Dobby, my favorite is in here. MMMM and it smells just like Mrs. Weasley's. Shepherds Pie, I'm in heaven.' Harry thought as he pulled out the piping hot, covered dish, and set it on the table. Unsure of how many in the house hadn't eaten yet, Harry took the time to set the table fully, and pulled out a salad and hot crusty bread to complete the meal. He then muttered, ‘Cena Campana' with a half hearted wand wave, and sat down heavily.

Mentally thanking Hermione for finding the Dinner Bell charm, Harry laid his head on the table, letting the days of stress flow out of him as he waited for his houseguests to arrive. He missed Ron and Hermione greatly, and his worry over Mrs. Weasley and Ginny was constantly in the background. ‘Ginny, please be alive. I swear I'll do whatever I can to get you back to us as soon as I can!', Harry thought to himself.

Harry's head snapped up as Petunia walked into the kitchen cautiously. "Hello, Aunt Petunia, how have you been? Are you adjusting to the house and everything ok?" Harry asked.

"Yes, I'm just fine Harry. It didn't take me long to get used to magic in the house again, considering that your Mother used magic constantly the summer before her last year of schooling, and you've done a good bit of magic all your life as well," Petunia said, and surprised Harry with the fond look she had on her face. "Your magic did what it could to protect you, and from what I've heard, it's still doing that very same thing," she finished with a smile.

"Yeah, I seem to be a trouble magnet. Do you mind...I mean, could you tell me about her? I mostly just hear about my dad, and the few things I've heard about Mum had to deal with Dad anyways," Harry asked, the longing in his voice almost broke Petunia's heart.

"I'm so sorry I failed you so badly, Harry. I should have shared what I could with you before. Let us see, where to begin? You know, you reminded me a lot of her as you grew up. You both had this spunkiness about you, which nothing could extinguish. You both have this fire in your eyes that is both worrisome, and intriguing. I always knew we were going to get into trouble when she got that look in her eyes."

Here Petunia stopped to giggle before she said, "Just as I knew you were going to cause trouble when you got that very same look in yours. No matter how much trouble she caused me, she was still always there to help pick me up when I had troubles with anything, even Vernon. She would just sit there and listen as I ranted and raved about everything, and then she would try and apologize for causing me so much grief. She knew she was the root of mine and Vernon's troubles. You see he knew I was keeping a secret from him, and that caused us a terrible time. I wasn't allowed to tell him about Magic until after we married, and we almost didn't make it to the wedding because I couldn't. Once he found out, all that frustration transferred over to the cause. I wish I had been able to tell him sooner, he might have been able to treat you better then. But by the time Lily died, the damage was done, and Vernon hated everything Magic.

I never got to know your father at all. It really surprised me that she ended up marrying him. She never had a good thing to say about James Potter when she was home from school. In fact, the only boy she ever talked about fondly was Mr. Snape, surprising, now that I've met him in person, mind you. For the longest time, I figured it would be him she married. Harry, are you ok?" she stopped to ask, when the color in Harry's face drained.

"You mean...I don't understand? I mean I know she stuck up for him, but he called her a Mudblood for Merlin's sake. How could she talk about anyone that did that ‘fondly'?" Harry questioned.

"You know, I think I remember that. She came home after her fifth year, ranting about boys in general and two in particular. I heard more about James Potter and Severus Snape that summer than I ever wanted to know. I was so relieved when he called, after that phone call Lily went from ranting to at least being happy, even if she still chatted constantly about how sweet a boy he was."

"So, that's how they got together? I was so worried. You see I kind of saw a memory of that incident, and it looked like my mother hated my father. I never understood how they got together." Harry said with relief evident in his voice.

"I'm sorry, Harry, you misunderstood. James wasn't the boy who called, Mr. Snape was," Petunia explained.

"Oh, I see. Well, thank you for sharing. I'd love to hear more some other time, but I'm too tired to absorb anymore tonight," Harry said, and then offered to fill her plate before digging into his own. He had a pensive look on his face the rest of dinner.

*~~*~~*~~*~~*

"Mr. Potter, if you are finished with your repast, you are needed in the library. We have much to discuss concerning certain recent discoveries," Snape said from the doorway.

"Thank you again, Aunt Petunia. Just leave the dishes when you're done, Dobby gets upset when he doesn't have anything to do at night. Oh, and great work on the house! I didn't recognize the library earlier," Harry said before heading up to the library for another strategy session with the Tarnished Trio. ‘Hmm, I wonder what we should call them when Draco is included? Tarnished Foursome or Tarnished Quadruplets just doesn't have that same ring to it. Fearsome Foursome, now that is perfect,' Harry thought with a smile, his eyes taking on that fiery glint that meant trouble.

"What, pray tell, gave you that look, Potter? I'd be worried about my back, if we were in school," Draco commented.

"If I were you, I'd constantly worry about my back, front, and total person, considering how many people are out for your blood, Malfoy," Harry retorted.

"Now, now, boys. I know you don't exactly get along, but would you please try and be civil, for me?" Narcissa asked.

"Yes, Mother, sorry," Draco replied just as Harry nodded his head and took his normal seat.

"So, what's the plan now?" Harry asked, wanting to get this meeting started and finished as soon as possible. He could hear his bed calling to him even several floors down.

"We are going to take a field trip to Gringotts tomorrow," Snape replied. Ignoring Draco's, ‘What's a field trip, it that some sort of weird way to gather ingredients?', he continued. "We will each need to arrive separately, and meet up inside the bank. Lucius, this is your area of expertise, how will we need to proceed tomorrow?"

"I would need to arrive first, to arrange for a secure meeting room. Luckily, the Goblins have stayed mostly neutral, and they are used to having to work with Death Eaters. They know how to keep quiet, and will think nothing of a supposedly incarcerated Death Eater, Dumbledore's murderer, and the Chosen One, having a meeting together. I am positive they deal with stranger events everyday," Lucius explained. "Once we have all arrived safely, we will need to speak to the Goblin in charge of Accounts to request entrance to the vault this key opens. Hopefully, we will be able to say that the Dark Lord requested that we retrieve something from the vault."

"If you're going to pose as Death Eaters on a mission, how are you going to explain my presence?" Harry asked.

Lucius and Narcissa looked surprised by Harry's insight, Snape looked almost proud for a second before his normal scowling expression took over. Snape pinched the bridge of his nose. "We discussed this before, and have yet to come up with a suitable answer. The Goblins have their own ways to detect whether or not a person wears the Dark Mark, and I have no Polyjuice made, so you cannot pose as Draco. At this point any suggestions you might posses would be taken into consideration."

"If they can detect the Dark Mark, won't they be able to tell who I am no matter what?" Harry asked.

"We are...unsure how strong their detection wards are. It is a bank, and making sure your speaking to the correct person would be paramount when dealing with a magical community, where appearance can be changed with a simple charm or potion," Narcissa explained.

"I know this is not the Slytherin way to do things, normally, but why not try the truth? If my presence will raise red flags, and there is no way to get around their detections, what choice do we really have?" Harry suggested.

"I believe that the best course of action would be for Lucius and myself to attempt to gain access to the vault on our own. There is no real reason for you to even leave the protection of this house. I do not see the reason to add such a high risk at this time," Snape said.

Harry sat there rubbing his scar as he considered what was said. "Truthfully, I'm not really to the point where I trust any of you. But at this point I don't see any other option. No matter what Mr. Malfoy says, the three of us having a meeting at Gringotts will cause a disturbance, and we cannot chance that getting out. There's no other way, the two of you will have to do this alone," Harry said with a sigh. "If there is nothing else, I'd like to go to bed."

"One more thing, Mr. Potter, I know with recent events, you have had neither the chance, nor the ability to keep up with your training and practice. I would like for you to take up the exercises you are capable of doing alone tomorrow while we are away, the same goes for you Draco. No, it does not need to be done together. I see no need for either of you to have your wands out in each other's company in a hexing situation, unless you are under attack by outside forces. Merlin knows I had to break the two of you up enough at school. I would rather not have to do the same in the place I currently call home. The fact that this is the place I call home is distressing enough, please do not add to it," Snape said wearily.

Harry nodded, "I'd rather not have my home damaged any further than it already is. Progress is slowly being made on it, and I'd rather not be the cause for that to stop. I promise to refrain from hexing...Draco, as long as he does the same," Harry replied.

"I will do the same as...Harry. I have no where else to go, wouldn't do to get myself kicked out of the only safe haven I have," Draco agreed, having just as hard a time with Harry's name as Harry had with his.

"Thank you, boys," Narcissa said.

"Very well, good night, and good luck to the two of you tomorrow," Harry said as he left the room.

*~~*~~*~~*~~*

Harry was woken up the next day by yelling. He groaned. From the sound of it, Narcissa and Petunia had finally crossed paths. He quickly slipped into a pair of jeans and a T-shirt and quickly made his way towards the disturbance.

As he got closer, he realized that Mrs. Black's voice was also in the mix. Coming to a stop right outside the door where Harry had stored the Portrait and Tapestry, Harry carefully peered in.

"...I do not care what Harry told you about this room. I am more than capable of protecting myself, and I refuse to let a Muggle tell me whether or not I have the right to speak to MY Auntie," Narcissa said, motioning towards the portrait. Harry was shocked when the old woman quieted after she was acknowledged.

"The last time I checked, this was Harry's home, not yours Mrs. High and Mighty. I don't care how much magic you have in you, he wanted this room kept closed and undisturbed for a reason. The least you could have done was ask him for his permission," Petunia huffed, as she held her own against the Malfoy matriarch.

"Why you..." Narcissa started to say, as she was interrupted.

"Ladies, please, calm down. There is no need for this argument. Thank you, Aunt Petunia. I appreciate what you're trying to do here. But Narcissa is right. She does have a right to speak to her...Auntie?" Harry asked, giving Narcissa a curious look for the term. "Never mind, as I was saying. Narcissa probably has more right to what ever is in this house than I do. Had Sirius known her true allegiance, then he probably would have left the house to her, as she is a Black by blood, and was his kin," Harry said sadly.

"Oh, Harry. I'm sure Sirius knew what he was doing when he left what he did to you. He would be so very proud of you. You have come so far from the headstrong, constantly outraged young teen from just two years ago. You have matured into a fine young man that your parents will be proud of," Narcissa said.

"Thank you, that is very kind of you to say. See, Aunt Petunia, she's not all bad," Harry said as he tried to keep from rolling his eyes as his aunt gave Narcissa the glare she normally saved for that "vulgar couple down the street that knows nothing about the proper use of drapes or blinds". "Has everyone had breakfast? I was just heading down to see what Dobby has brought us today," he said trying to change the subject.

"Thank you, Harry, but I've already had mine. I was just getting ready to start in a new room, when I found her in here. I'll just continue on my way then," Petunia stated as she picked up her bucket of supplies that was by the door.

"I think I shall stay here and finish my conversation. That is if you don't mind, Harry?" Narcissa asked.

"Not at all, if you can keep her from yelling at everyone, I'd almost have to kiss you," Harry said with a smile.

"Such a cheeky young man, however do you keep the ladies away?" Narcissa joked.

"I don't know, might have something to do with an insane megalomaniac that is out for my blood. That fact tends to keep all but the most strong in heart away," Harry said half joking, half seriously, as an image of Ginny and Mrs. Weasley popped into his head. Shaking it to rid himself of the depressing thoughts that would just hamper his training, Harry said, "Well, I'm going to get a bite to eat and then start on what Snape asked me to do. No point in angering him. He's hard enough to be around as it is," Harry said as he walked out the door, missing Narcissa's look of pity.

*~~*~~*~~~*~~*

After a light breakfast, Harry returned to his room to meditate. He was unsure how much time had passed, when he was brought back to the surface with a shake.

"Mr. Potter, you need to wake up and come with me. I asked you to train not sleep. It turns out that your presence is in fact needed at Gringotts. You need to change and cast a Diagon Alley safe Glamour, and you need to do so quickly," Snape demanded, once he was sure he had Harry's full attention.

Harry mumbled as he started changing his Glamour, "I wasn't sleeping, I was in a deep meditation, can't help it if I need to go so deep to get away from recent demons." A few minutes later, a very blonde haired, blue eyed Harry was looking at Snape. "This good enough?" he asked.

"It is passable. Now, Apparate to Diagon Alley, and quickly make your way to the bank. Ask for Ragnok, luckily for us William Weasley made a good deal of progress with this particular Goblin. Ragnok will lead you to the correct vault, where you will meet up with Lucius and myself. We will then explain what we need you to do," Snape said as he was leading Harry to the front door. "Now, wait five minutes after I have gone, and then leave," Snape said, before quickly pulling up his Glamour and leaving.

Harry looked at his watch and patiently waited the five minutes, and then left. He looked around and after seeing that no one was around to notice him, Harry quickly Apparated to a very quiet Diagon Alley. ‘I'll never get used to seeing this place so deserted', Harry thought. He then cleared his mind and made his way down to the bank.

Harry entered the bank and looked around for someone to speak to. Seeing a free teller, he walked up and waited to be acknowledged.

"Yes, what may I do for you today?" Harry was asked.

"I've been told to ask for Ragnok. May I please speak with him?" Harry asked politely.

"Yes, step over to the waiting area and Ragnok will be with you as soon as he is able," was the short reply. The Goblin then went back to writing in his ledger. Harry hoped that he wouldn't be made to wait long. He was very nervous being out in public, seemingly alone, even if he didn't look like Harry Potter, with or with out the Glamour.

Just as Harry was about to take a seat, a scary looking Goblin stopped right in front of him. "This way if you please, Mr. Potter, your acquaintances are already waiting for you. If you would follow me, we need to take a quick ride down to meet them," said whom Harry hoped was Ragnok, as he had no way of knowing for sure, Harry followed the Goblin and hoped for the best.

Twenty minutes, and one very wild ride later, Harry was very relieved when the car stopped and he was able to get out. Rethinking his ideas about going to an amusement park that Dudley used to rave about, after the war was over, Harry looked around. "I never thought I'd be relieved to see the two of you," Harry said as he dropped his Glamour, as Lucius and Snape were there before him in their true forms.

"Indeed, Mr. Potter. Thank you for your assistance Ragnok, we will call for you when we are ready," Snape said, dismissing the Goblin. As soon as the car had taken off, Snape directed Harry over to the vault door. "As you see, the Dark Lord was very cunning. He had the Goblins install snakes similar to the ones in the Chamber doors. We need you to speak to them to see if we can get inside," he explained.

"Ok, I think I can handle that. ‘Hello, I'd like to get inside please. Is that possible?" Harry asked.

"Oh a speaker, it has been so long since we have been addressed properly. The sharp-toothed ones are able to communicate with us, but only enough to ask if we have been disturbed. If you want inside you have to have the key of metal and the key of the red cell," the snakes said.

"Uh...we're missing a key. I was told we need two keys, one of metal, which we already have, and one of the red cell. Either of you know what that means?" Harry asked.

Snape looked devastated, and Lucius looked triumphant. Harry was confused by the different reactions.

"Obviously the red cell refers to blood. I am not sure we can acquire any of Tom Riddle's blood. Lucius, why do you have such a ridiculous grin on your face?" Snape snapped.

"We do not need Tom Riddle's blood. You see, I was sent here with a sample of the Dark Lord's blood after he was resurrected. I figured it was for his basic vaults. Who knew when Harry's blood was taken for that ritual that it would end up in our favor?" Lucius asked, looking unnaturally happy.

Harry snapped his eyes over to Lucius when he understood what the man had just said. "I think Dumbledore knew, or he at least suspected. When he found out about the ritual, his twinkle was going full force. So, you believe my blood will be enough? Are you sure though? Wormtail also gave blood, although his was in the form of his entire hand," Harry explained with a shudder.

"That may cause a slight problem. Ask the snakes what would happen if the blood was close but not an exact match, if you would, Mr. Potter," Snape said.

"I need to understand how you two work. You see we aren't sure if we were given the right blood to open the vault door. What will happen if we don't have the exact match?" Harry asked the Guardian Snakes.

"We are to kill any that do not have the exact match, young speaker. We would hate to lose our newest companion, so please be sure," they informed Harry. Hearing their words he paled, causing Snape and Lucius to worry.

"I take it we need an exact match?" Lucius drawled.

"They said they were told to kill who ever gave them an incorrect match. They also want me to be sure because they are lonely and do not want to lose their newest companion. I'd rather not lose me as well," Harry said with a shudder.

"Does that wretched creature still reside at Spinner's End, Severus?" Lucius asked.

"Unfortunately, why do you think I spend some much time in Black's old house?" was the answer Lucius received.

"Will your wards still allow me access to the house?"

"Yes, you should still be able to Apparate directly into my Lab. Just be careful, I set my strongest wards on the door. Wormtail kept destroying my tools, while he was snooping around. You should have no trouble dismantling them, now that you know they are there," Snape replied.

"Very well, I shall return with a rat in tow," Lucius said before signaling for a car.

Harry looked around nervously. This was the first time he had been alone with Snape since, well since Snape had saved him from going insane on the Hogwarts' lawn. Harry cleared his throat nervously and looked up to see Snape giving him an unusual look.

"Sir, I was wondering. Aunt Petunia took a little time last night, and shared some of her memories about Mum with me. She said that you two were kind of close. Would you be willing to share some of what she was like with me? Aunt Petunia could only tell me about what she was like at home," Harry asked cautiously.

Snape groaned inwardly. He had been dreading this day from the moment he walked away from Albus holding that soft little baby standing next to the rocking chair that his mother, Eileen, had given them as a wedding present.

"She was vibrant, friendly to everyone, she didn't care what house patch you wore on your chest. She only cared about what kind of person you were on the inside, and didn't care if you really couldn't show that. It was as if she could see into your very soul, just as you or I could see through a window.

Her temper rivaled none. Had she lived, Lily could have easily put Molly Weasley in her place and not bat an eyelash doing so. But where her temper was strong, her fuse was long. It took something major to set her off. I guess that's how the Marauders survived their school years, that or they learned early she was not one to mess with.

She was intelligent, quite like Miss Granger. But, unlike Miss Granger, she didn't flaunt it. She didn't have to answer every question; she made sure those around her shined as much as possible. As I'm sure you have heard, no one could rival her in Charms. Something that few knew, though, was that she was just as talented in Potions. She was one of the few that could compete with me and win.

She would latch onto something and never let go, much like you with Draco last year, which she showed greatly in her...friendship with me. She made her way from one end of the train to the other, her first trip. Where most First Years were scared and huddling together, she was speaking to everyone, even the upper classmen Slytherins. Ask Narcissa about the telling off Lucius got that train ride. Her intelligence might have screamed Ravenclaw, but that spunk she showed when she yelled at him for picking on a Hufflepuff was what got her placed in Gryffindor," Snape explained. He paused giving a great sigh before continuing. "She was the greatest...friend a person could ask for. She brought out the best in everyone around her. I sometimes wonder if she took those parts of me with her when she died."

Harry was speechless. He never expected to get such an honest, open answer from his ex-Potions teacher. If the man was anything, it was normally closed off. Realizing what this must have cost the man, Harry quickly said, "Thank you, thank you so much. I'm not sure I can ever show you how much this meant to me," Harry paused, thinking that maybe this was the best time to tell the man that they knew his secret. If he knew, maybe Snape wouldn't have to stay so closed off.

"Sir, I just thought you should know, Hermione over heard a conversation you had with Mr. Malfoy. It wasn't intentional, she went back to get her notes one night and the two of you were already in a discussion. I just thought you should know, that we know that you're Neville's father, and we...well we don't understand really. But it's not our place to. Neville is one of the best guys I know, and I'm proud to call him a friend," Harry finished, warily watching the utterly stunned expression on Snape's face.

"What do you mean, you know Neville is..."

Just then a car stopped in front of the vault, and a very windblown Lucius Malfoy stepped out. He was carrying a bag that was very wiggly.

"Mission accomplished, Gentlemen," the blonde said as he smoothed out his appearance.

"I have a question. Now that we have him here, how are we going to get Wormtail to cooperate? Even if he does give up some of his blood, won't he run right back to Vol...the Dark Lord and squeal?" Harry asked.

"I do believe he owes you a Life-Debt, does he not Mr. Potter?" Snape questioned.

"Well, Dumbledore did say he was in my debt. But he sure as hell didn't act like it when he slit open my arm," Harry said, rubbing the very spot.

"At the time, you didn't know enough to call in that debt. Now we will explain what you need to do, and he won't have a choice but to comply," Lucius explained with a slightly bored tone.

"Oh, and he won't be able to tell what we've done?" Harry asked, still unsure.

"No, the moment he tries to say a word about our little adventure, he will die, unable to say a thing," Snape explained, ignoring the scared squeak that came from the bag. "Come over here with me, and I shall explain what you need to do while Lucius sets the area up."

Harry nodded and followed the older man. "Can you explain what this will do to Wormtail? I don't feel right condemning him to death, I don't care what he did, it's not my place to pass judgment on him," Harry explained when Snape gave him an inquiring look.

"That is very mature, as well as unexpected. As much as you were ranting about revenge two years ago, I didn't expect this from you. I find I must admit that the change is very heartening, care to explain what brought it on?" Snape queried.

"I imagine Dumbledore's death was the main cause for my change. It made me sit back and think about all that he had tried to teach me. That it's our choices that define us, that I was loved, and that love is my greatest weapon. I'm sure there were others that I've missed, but those were the driving forces behind my change. I realized I can't win if I hold onto that hate and revenge. It's one of the reasons I was able to let go so easily with you and the Malfoy family. Yes, our history is nasty, but we are working towards a common goal. That is all that should matter at the moment. Hopefully I will have time after this war is over to see if it is worth it to keep up these new relationships, or if we should just all go our separate ways," Harry replied.

Severus couldn't help it, a spark of hope flared brightly in his chest. If Harry and his cohorts had so easily accepted him as that walking menace Longbottom's father, is it possible they would do the same when they found out that he was Harry's father, not Neville's. He made a mental note to find out how they had come to that conclusion, if he lived long enough, that is.

"I do believe Albus would be very proud of you, Harry. You should stop in and have a discussion with him the next time you are at Hogwarts. For now, though, let us get on with this ritual so we can open the vault and get back home. Here is what you will need to say," Snape took his time explaining to Harry exactly what he needed to do, and then made sure that Harry understood each step. There was no need for anyone to leave dead, after all.

The duo walked up just as Lucius finished his preparations. Lucius gave Severus a questioning look and got a slight nod in answer. "He is ready for your questioning, Mr. Potter. Please proceed," Lucius said motioning to the bound Wormtail that was now in human form.

Harry took a deep breath and then stepped up to the man, placing his right hand over the man's heart. "Do you, Peter Pettigrew, acknowledge the Wizard's Life Debt that you owe me, Harry James Potter?"

"Yes," Wormtail said, his voice steady even with his knees shaking.

"Do you acquiesce to the following terms, and acknowledge that in breaking the terms at any time will forfeit your life immediately?"

"I do, state your terms," Wormtail agreed, his voice getting deeper as the magic started to take hold.

"I, Harry James Potter, state that Peter Pettigrew will consent to give enough blood to open the vault door. I state that he will do whatever he humanly can to assist myself or any of my comrades in the war against the Dark Lord Voldemort, when the time presents itself. I state that Peter Pettigrew will never speak of this ritual, the opening of the vault, or anything else he may witness that has to deal with these proceedings."

Both wizards then felt compelled to chant, "Vita Debitum No, Vita Debitum Mercedis." As they chanted a white light started from Harry's hand and went into Wormtail's chest, binding him to his vows.

Harry opened his eyes and gave Severus a questioning look.

"Yes, it is done. Now, the both of you need to hold out your right arms so that I can collect the blood we need," Severus explained as he held out a knife that made Harry visibly shudder.

"Sorry, I'm ok. Just, I never wanted to see a knife like that again. And with Wormtail being right next to me, it's...well it's just bringing back bad memories is all," Harry explained weakly as he tried to rein in his fears.

"If it will help, I have a Calming Potion you can take after we are done, as well as Dreamless Sleep for tonight. You need to be rested tomorrow. Whether right or wrong about this vault, we will need to step up our research," Severus explained, hoping he had calmed the boy down enough to finish. "Are you ready?"

"Yes," came the reply from the three other Wizards.

"Very well, your right arm, Peter," Severus said. He grabbed it none too gently and dragged the knife over the man's inner elbow and let the blood flow into the vial of Nagini's venom. He then motioned for Harry's arm, letting Lucius heal the rat in human's clothing. Severus carefully held the boy's arm, and was gentle as he drew the blood. As soon as he had enough in the vial, Severus quickly healed Harry's wound, and then closed the vial and mixed the contents.

Harry then took the vial and turned to speak to the Vault guardians once again. "I have what you require, where do I put the keys?"

"I require the key of metal," said the left snake. "And I require the key of the red cell," said the right.

Harry carefully deposited each in the proper mouth and waited with his breath held. Everyone was in shock when the door simply opened. Harry tried thanking the Guardians, but found that they were no longer animated.

Looking worried, Harry said, "Let's hope they wake back up when the door closes, or that dear old Tom doesn't decide to take a trip here to have a chat. So, now what?" he finished with a shrug.

"Now you sit back and try and learn something while we scan for traps," Lucius quipped.

Harry rolled his eyes, but did as he was told. He stood there and watched each wand movement as he listened carefully to each spell cast, making mental notes as they worked. Finally they stopped casting.

"It worries me that we could not find a single protection or trap. Surely, he can not be this arrogant, Severus?" Lucius questioned.

Severus looked to Wormtail with a nasty gleam in his eye. "Well, it is a good thing that we are in possession of a lab rat, is it not?" Harry was positive he never wanted to see Severus smile like that ever again. That look scared him more than any look Voldemort had ever given him. He silently thanked Merlin that the look was not aimed at him.

Wormtail tried to swallow the lump in his throat, but started to carefully walk into the vault at Severus' glare.

"Se...seems ok," he stuttered.

Harry quickly followed Lucius and Severus as they entered the vault as well. His chin nearly hit the floor as he took in the site that greeted him. The vault was filled with stuff, weird stuff. There was a teddy bear that was missing an ear, and looked as if someone had loved it to death. There was a stuffed bunny missing an eye. It seemed as if the toys and trinkets were endless.

"Why would he consider broken toys a treasure?" Lucius asked.

"This might answer things," Harry said, as he held up a familiar Potions text. Showing them the inside cover that said "Property of Myrtle" instead of "Property of the Half-Blood Prince". Unfortunately, the rest of the name was washed away, but lower on the cover was a taunt written in someone else's hand, "Poor Myrtle, always moaning about her glasses, when she should really be worried about her face behind them. Love, Olive."

"Myrtle? You mean that obnoxious ghost that haunts the girl's restroom?" Severus asked, causing Harry to flinch.

"Yes, she was the Basilisk's only death. From when the young Tom Riddle opened the Chamber while he was a student. Oh, do desist with your wiggling at once, Mr. Potter. I know very well what you did to my son in that very restroom, and frankly I believe he deserved it. If I am not mistaken, he was going to cast an Unforgivable on you. Yes? And you defended yourself, correct? Well then, act like a man and not a child, thank you," Lucius lectured.

Harry looked around the room, figuring it was best to look anywhere but at Lucius, when something in the middle of the room caught his eye. "It can't be, can it?" he asked. Not bothering to see if he was heard, Harry carefully made his way over to the pedestal in the middle of the room.

There, in all its glory, was Hufflepuff's cup. "Snape! I do believe we have found what we are looking for," Harry yelled across the room. Hearing a thud, he turned to see what happened. "I take it you didn't trust the Vow he made fully?" Harry asked looking at Snape as he was putting his wand away. He had hexed Wormtail into unconsciousness.

"You could have at least had him transform first. Do you know how bloody hard it is going to be to get him out of here in this state?" Lucius complained.

Severus rolled his eyes. "We can take care of him after we have the cup secured. Now get over here and start scanning. The darkness from these items is making my skin crawl," he snapped.

This time they didn't even bother taking the time to teach Harry the spells. They were all starting to feel anxious, and wanted out of that vault as soon as possible.

"Open your pack, and get ready. I am going to levitate it in. I do not want to chance anyone touching it yet," Severus explained.

Everyone breathed a sigh of relief when the cup was in the pack and the pack was once again closed. "Can we go now? Please, I'm starting to get a bad feeling," Harry said, trying to explain his whininess.

"Yes, let us take care of the rat first. ‘Rennervate', do you remember your Vow, Peter?" Snape asked once the man was fully awake once again.

"You expect me to forget?" the man asked incredulously. "I know you place no stock in my intelligence, Snape, but I've lasted this long. I'm not going to go off and kill myself now," Wormtail said, putting some backbone in his voice that Harry never figured the man had.

"Very well, now if you would be so kind as to transform, then we can be on our way," Lucius sneered. He then stunned and placed the rat back into the bag, none too gently.

They then left the vault, shut the door, and called for Ragnok to get them after they each had their Glamours back in place.

Before they got into the car, Severus said, "Go straight back to the house, Harry. No heroic adventures, do you understand me?"

"Yes, sir. I had planned on it anyways. That bad feeling hasn't left, in fact it's getting worse," Harry explained.

Severus glanced at Lucius with a worried expression, before he said, "Very well, we shall meet with you no later than an hour from now. Now let us get going."

*~~*~~*~~*~~*

Harry knew something was wrong as soon as he entered the house. He pulled out his wand, and cautiously made his way towards the Library. Seeing that it was empty, he made his way down to the kitchen, where he could hear crying coming from inside. He looked in and was shocked to see Petunia and Narcissa trying to console Remus.

"Wh...what's going on? Remus? Oh Merlin, Remus? Who? Who is it? Oh please, someone tell me what's going on," Harry pleaded.

Remus was up out of his seat and walking towards Harry as soon as he noticed the boy. "Oh Harry, I'm so sorry," he said as he steered Harry to a chair. As soon as Harry was seated Remus squatted down in front of him and took his hands.

"Oh, Remus. Please tell me it's not Hermione or Ron," Harry begged.

"No, Harry. They are safe at the moment. Harry, a body was found outside the Burrow earlier. It was...Harry it was Ginny's body. Harry? Harry!?!"

But Harry couldn't hear a thing, the world went black as he realized he had made yet another promise he couldn't keep.

Chapter End Notes:
I make Lily’s birthday when I want it, since there is no canon reference to tell me otherwise. It now suits the story. Petunia’s age is also tweaked, (well, does tweak really fit since there is no canon reference?), to fit the story. It’s AU, nuff said. :) I’d also like to take this time to thank my Husband and Beta, LovesRickman. They had a nasty time keeping up with the Muse and myself. I ended up writing eleven pages in one night. It kills me to think how much last chapter was like getting blood from a stone, and this chapter, plus some of 19 have come so easily.

As always, feed the review monster. Thank you!

Aery