Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
We're almost done. Just two more chapters to go. I'm currently working on 34, so I hope that I will have both completed before I leave for Greece for two months on Feb 18. Big thank yous to LovesRickman and my husband for the edits. I hope you all enjoy!
Chapter Thirty Three: Creating Humans out of Legends

 

"Months of research and nothing to show for it." Harry grumbled as he picked up yet another book.

"What was that, Harry? I'm sorry I didn't hear you." Hermione said from behind the rather large tome she was reading.

"Oh, nothing, just complaining again. I can't believe we've spent all this time on research, only to find nothing. Even trips into His mind haven't helped. He has never thought about what would happen to those he has marked if he's...incapacitated. He truly believes that he is immortal, and that nothing can happen to him." Harry groused.

"I'm starting to think that this is one time where research really won't help us. He has twisted every known spell that we can find, to do his own thing. There is no one but him that would know what to do with the Dark Mark. Add the fact that no one has ever known that what you can do is possible, no one has even speculated in writing. We may just have to go through with the plan, and then watch to see what happens. And, Harry, I'm afraid you're going to be up for another lecture. Mr. Malfoy and Professor Snape, both, will want to be able to find out first hand what is going on, and can no longer do that. I'm afraid they are going to be reminded why they were so angry with you to begin with." Hermione said, failing to comfort her friend.

Harry groaned. "I never thought that trying to save someone's life could turn out so badly. I was trying to show him how much I cared, and that his family was important too, and it just...it turned out so..."

"Yes, I know what you mean, Harry. Although, after Dobby's...erm...help, you really should have known how good intentions could turn out, even with the best possible motives." She reminded him.

"Well, I can't undo it now that it is done. I have learned the lesson very well though. I've learned a lot since the trip to Godric's Hollow. Who knew that the Malfoy's idea of Christmas was so...so down to earth? Everything was about spending time with family. I never thought they would want to include all of us in their celebration." Harry declared.

"I know! I hate to admit it, but I really admire how they do Christmas." Hermione confessed.

"I never knew Christmas could be like that. Growing up in the Dursley house Christmas was always about having the best looking house, and the proper amount of tree showing through the curtains, as well as Dudley's ever expanding mountain of gifts.

But this Christmas, I don't think there was a store or shop bought item in sight. All the decorations where handmade or taken from nature, and the presents they gave, also handcrafted. You could see their feelings for each other, maybe not by looking at their expressions, but in their gifts and the stories behind them. They all really love each other." Harry said with a sigh.

"Very true, although, with their ability to get whatever they need or want, whenever it is needed or wanted, I can see how this tradition of theirs started. Anything bought would be too impersonal, and most likely unneeded or unwanted." Hermione stopped to giggle. "I wonder if they know how much they have in common with the Weasleys?"

"Yes, actually, we do know, and no, it doesn't bother us. In fact, we are quite proud of our Christmas traditions.  Our world in general, has always been about family. The Malfoy family is no exception. We just have a reputation that is hard to see through. Lucius would not like me telling you this, but I think you both need to hear it to understand us, and even your father to a point. Being Slytherin created expectations for us, which we had no choice but to live up to, if only in public. Lucius has done what he could to keep us safe." Narcissa said as she came fully into the room and took a seat at the table with Harry and Hermione.

"I will not lie to you. When Lucius first joined the Dark Lord, he and I both agreed with what the Dark Lord was saying, what we were told the vision was. Unfortunately, we were lied to. The Dark Lord only ever cared about his power gain, his revenge, and his trip to immortality. Now that we know about Grindelwald, well, we know it was never his vision to begin with. But, as you said, Harry, you can not undo what is already done." Narcissa explained, letting them both get an idea of how much she had heard.

"We did not see his madness until it was too late. Lucius had been marked for years by then, and I not far behind him. Draco was just a baby when the Dark Lord started targeting families very similar to ours. We were appalled and not a little scared. If the Dark Lord took to heart a prophesy that he had never seen himself, what was to stop him from listening to other Death Eaters and target our family, or those families that we are close to. It was very fortunate for us that his body was destroyed when he attacked you. While it tossed you into hell, it saved our lives.

It also meant that we could be there for your father. He became family not long after that. We helped him through those very dark days after he had to give you up, and just after losing the loves of his life. We are lucky he survived. It was then that we swore to always include anyone close to us in our celebration. No one would be excluded if they were close to those we considered family. Harry, you too would have been included had you taken Draco's hand in friendship all those years ago. But, I believe things worked out for the best in that situation.

As you saw, and have already commented on, we give only personally crafted items. Draco has always loved his art. Even as a small child, his room was never the same from day to day. Whether it was him painting on the walls or drawing, they were constantly changing. Draco is now an excellent artist. His room is full of paintings, sketch books, and the like. Lucius has always had an appreciation for music. He has been composing his own music charms, and is constantly tinkering with them whenever he has the chance. You will be surprised, I am sure, to hear that I personally love working with clay. Go on and laugh, I know what my reputation would lead anyone to believe about me. But I am never happier than I am when I am up to my elbows in mud, or filthy with dust and glaze.

Severus, now his gifts will always be a surprise. You would think that as a Potion's Master he would give potions, and sometimes he does, just never in the form you are expecting. He is constantly creating new forms of paint for Draco. He has modified my clays for me, and added colors that I never thought possible. He has also given me new types of glazes as well. His blends of teas are the only ones Lucius will drink, as I am sure you have noticed his personal tea pot. I made that the same year Severus perfected Lucius' tea mix. But the most surprising gift I have gotten from Severus was a handwritten copy of all my favorite poetry, he even designed and created the covering.

While we did not have all year to work on your gifts, I did hope that you both would be able to see how much you have come to mean to all of us. Yes, even you, Hermione. While I doubt our views will ever change completely, you have helped us see where it is slightly flawed.

It is because we are so family orientated that they have lectured you so many times on this same subject. I do believe that the truth of the matter is both are scared that you will continue to act first and think later. While at first, Lucius only cared if you survived because of how it would affect Severus, now, I believe that he has come to care for you in his own way, and I really do not think I need to explain Severus' motives. You have learned how he feels on your own.

Now, if you would excuse me, I was looking for my son when I over heard the two of you, and now I really must get back to finding him." Narcissa said, and with a slight nod she was gone.

"Well, that was insightful." Hermione said, as Harry could only stare at the door.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHP

"Hurry and take your seats, I would like to get started." Severus commanded from the head of the table. "I would like a succinct report from what everyone has accomplished since our last meeting, starting with Aberforth and Weasley B."

Bill looked at Aberforth, silently asking if he should deliver for them both. With a slight nod from Aberforth, Bill started. "We found many types of Fealty Marks and Spells, of which many or none Voldemort could have based his mark from. Unfortunately, none have ever been used on such a large group of people before. So our research turned up no information on what we might expect."

"Very well, Minerva, Lupin?" Severus asked.

"Like Bill, our research turned up very little. We do believe that the Marks will not disappear, as they didn't when he was first incapacitated all those years ago. As you know, the marks then merely went dormant. But with him still being alive and in his own body, with Harry's plan, we highly doubt they will go dormant this time." Lupin explained, with Minerva nodding her agreement throughout.

Severus just nodded and looked over to Harry and Hermione.

"We didn't find anything useful. We could find nothing that even speculated what could happen, because no one has ever thought what we want to do is possible. Even Voldemort himself has never thought of the possibility. He truly believes he is untouchable and immortal." Harry explained dejectedly.

"Yes, and since Mr. Potter took it upon himself to rid us of our marks, we will not be in the position to find out what happens first hand. I suggest we capture a Death Eater along with the Dark Lord. That way we will be able to monitor what happens at least." Lucius suggested, all the while giving Harry a very disappointed look.

"That brings us to our other group. Have you come up with a plan to capture, and subdue the Dark Lord?" Severus asked as he turned to look at everyone from the other group.

"I do believe we have come up with a very simple plan, Severus, and as you know, simple is always best. We believe that someone should make a diversion outside the manor, something big enough to get everyone's attention, as well as getting everyone outside, maybe a mock attack via these two enterprising young men's shop items. Then, when as many Death Eaters are outside as possible, Lucius would lock down the Manor so as to allow no one back in. If possible, even trapping everyone on the grounds unable to leave, thus killing two fwoopers with one curse. The only problem we have yet to solve is how to keep Voldemort busy, so he cannot escape." Elphias explained.

"Glad to see the last two months have not been a waste for all. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the Dark Lord preoccupied?" Severus asked the group.

"Why not let me do it? I'm his obsession, who better to keep him busy?" Harry asked.

"Oh, yes, Potter, how intelligent. Let us just parade our only hope in front of the one being who is obsessed with your death." Lucius said with a disgusted growl.

"I didn't mean for me to be there in person. I thought I could distract him via our link. I'd be nowhere near him, I'd be in no danger, and I'd make sure he was so distracted that anyone could magically subdue him to take him...that reminds me, where are we planning on keeping him after we get him?" Harry asked Severus.

"That was going to be another item up for discussion tonight. But first we need to finalize capturing him. Do you truly think you are capable of keeping him in his mind once he realizes just how linked the two of you are? I have not tested your Occlumency in a few months. Have you been keeping up with your exercises even with all the research you have been doing?" Severus questioned his son.

"Yes, every night before bed, and every morning before I get ready for the day. Test me now. I doubt you could get through at your finest. Not to sound arrogant, but I've known how dangerous it was digging around in the link, and I didn't want to chance him reversing the flow. I made sure he couldn't. Salazar even helped a little. Go on, in fact, both you and Mr. Malfoy should try at the same time. Merlin knows a pissed off Voldemort will be as strong as the two of you together." Harry suggested even as he readied himself.

With a swift nod from his friend, Severus and Lucius were both casting Legilimens on Harry.

"There, you see, if neither of you can get in, he won't be able to either. Now, will you allow me to help?" Harry asked once again.

Severus rubbed his temples and sighed. "Very well, you are in charge of distracting the Dark Lord. Hermione, you will stay with Harry, and watch over him. I doubt we will need the warning, but it is prudent none the less. Now that we have a feasible plan, we now need a place to store the Dark Lord, as well as any Death Eaters we are able to capture as well. Malfoy Manor will not work. We will not want to leave anything to chance, and I want wherever we choose to be warded and secured ahead of time. I am sure Lucius will have to do a lot of ward clean up before he deems the manor safe again."

"Why not here?" Tonks asked.

"Are you sure you are an Auror? You should know to never open up your base of operations to the enemy, even if you are the one bringing them in." Minerva said, surprising everyone. It was obvious to a few that Tonks' remarks about Severus from the first meeting had not been forgiven.

"Just the same, the Chamber of Secrets is out. We don't need Voldemort discovering what he missed before. While I hope he won't ever be conscious again, I don't want to chance it." Harry stated. "But, there are some caves outside Hogsmeade that we could possibly use. Sirius was safe there."

"I believe I know of those caves. I do not believe they will be big enough, Harry." Minerva answered.

"The Ministry still has too many unknowns as well as known Voldemort supporters to trust taking anyone there." Bill supplied.

"There is a safe house in the Forbidden Forrest. I use it a lot all year round. It has several rooms and a cellar you could use as well. It's a fair ways away from the school, and I have enough friends in the area that it wouldn't be safe for anyone outside without me with them." Harry and Ron both shuddered at the thought, as did most everyone else at the table.

"This sounds promising, Hagrid. Is it past the Anti-Apparition wards that surround Hogwarts?" Severus asked, fully intrigued.

"I believe so. I've never Apparated there myself, but I imagine you could. I can take you there first thing tomorrow, if you'd like to check it out." Hagrid offered.

"I shall meet you before dawn at your house. Does anyone have anything else they believe needs to be brought to attention before we adjourn? No, very well. I shall check out the this place of Hagrid's tomorrow morning, and then we shall meet again tomorrow night to finalize our plans as well as going over who will help re-ward the place, if it is acceptable. If it is not, then we will need to find another place. I suggest everyone thinks of a few places that would be acceptable, just in case. Dismissed." Severus said, before sweeping out of the room.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHP

You know that you were never meant to be like this.

"I have told you before, leave me alone. You were locked away for a reason. I am stronger without you!" Voldemort yelled.

"Master? D...did you say something?" Wormtail asked from the doorway.

"No, Wormtail, I did not."

Gellert Grindelwald tortured you and turned you into a monster and he was a Pure-blood. Why didn't you turn against them?

"I want the Pure-blood idiots to bow down to me. Now, once again, go away. I will not have your presence weaken me."

Who do you think this is? Do you hear voices often?

"Who is there?"

"Master?" Wormtail asked.

"Who have you allowed into my sanctuary, Wormtail? Your incompetence will lead you to becoming a gift wrapped rat sent to the Ministry if you do not get rid of the intruder at once!"

"But, Master, the wards are intact. None but your humble servants are here in the manor. Are...are you in need of something?"

Tell him you need a swift kick in the arse. Or better yet, to do the world a favor and cast Avada Kedavera on you.

"I AM IMMORTAL! No curse, no weapon, no pitiful teenager can kill me!"

"Master, let me get Bellatrix for you. I am sure she can solve whatever it is ailing you."

"I do not need anyone, Wormtail. Leave me, and make sure no one disturbs me."

Aw...why'd you make him leave, its fun watching him cower like the little rat he is.

"Harry Potter. What a surprise. I never thought you foolish enough to invade the manor. Did you actually find the strength to cast an Unforgivable? My dear Bellatrix told me of your first attempt. She said she had felt worse from a Rictusempra. You must have, I do not see any other way you could have lured Narcissa and her family away from me. That family has always been the most loyal."

Oh, didn't you know? Lucius hasn't been your follower for several years now. Pity you left him to be locked up in Azkaban. That gave Dumbledore all he needed to get Lucius to switch sides.

"It is no matter, he can do nothing against me. No one can!"

You keep telling yourself that! It's worked so well for you in the past. But for some reason, you've yet to kill me. I wonder why that is? OH, I know! It's because deep down, you're a weakling. What Grindelwald did to you didn't make you stronger, it made you WEAK!

"Who shall I destroy to show you how weak I am? How about that little Mudblood witch? You have always had a soft spot for her. How would you like to look into her lifeless eyes after I kill her personally?"

I don't think you want to leave safety and venture out into the world. After all, you no longer have any Horcruxes to ensure your safety. Your so vulnerable right now, even the most mundane situation could result in your death. Maybe I should just sneak up behind you and bash you in the head. Merlin knows you don't deserve the respect of a proper duel.

"..."

What's the matter, Tom, Snake get your tongue? Oh, I see. You can stop trying to break into my mind. I control our link now, and have for some time. It has been very enlightening, what I've learned from your own mind. I have even learned your most embarrassing habits. How could you invite Nagini to your bed like that and did she really not mind you snuggling with her like a child with a teddy bear?

"Why you..."

Tom? Oh, Tom? Why so quiet all of a sudd...

HPHPHPHP

"Urggg. Hermione?" Harry groaned.

"Yes, Harry, I'm right here. Are you ok? Why are you so pale? What went wrong?" she questioned him worriedly.

"Nothing went wrong. I was just pushed out by whatever spell Dad used to knock Voldemort out. Remind me to find out what he used, so I can make sure never to be inside someone's mind when that is used on them. Speaking of Dad, are they back yet?" Harry asked as he rubbed Hermione's arm, trying to reassure her he was all right.

"I don't know, let's both go see."

HPHPHPHPHPHPHP

"We only have one chance at this. You know what to do, so I suggest that you do it and do it well! We will all Apparate to the clearing Lucius told us about, and then spread out from there. Follow the timeline exactly. I want no one jumping the wand!" Severus stood and watched as everyone nodded before Apparating out, he followed soon after.

HPHPHP

"It is good to see everyone following orders." Severus said to the only other person left in the clearing.

"Yes, I have to say I am impressed. You managed to get a bunch of Gryffindors to follow a plan, let us hope they stick to it." Lucius said with only a slight sneer.

"We should get moving as well. After all, we do not want to follow their expectations of us." Severus said, before moving to take up his position.

"Do they have to do so much damage to the grounds? I know where those two come from, but surely they can recognize how old and expensive that used to be before they blew it up?" Narcissa complained after the twins blew up one of her favorite rose gardens as the diversion.

"I am sure that is why they chose it. Now, come on, that was our cue to move. We need to get inside, there is no telling how long Harry will be able to keep the Dark Lord occupied." Severus said.

"I shall be as quick as I can with the wards. As I said before, they should not take me very long. They have been in auxiliary since there is no Malfoy living on the grounds. My wards will jump at the chance to do what they were made to do." Lucius said before he moved down a separate corridor.

Severus and Narcissa continued down their own corridor, until they were stopped by an extravagant door. Severus silently cast Tempus, and motioned for Narcissa to wait, giving the other small group time to get to the other entrance.

They slipped in just in time to see Pettigrew get captured by Lupin, Weasley C, and Doge. Hearing Narcissa's soft giggles, Severus turned to see.

"Is he really just sitting there staring out into nothing?" Lupin asked.

"It would seem that Harry has him very well occupied. I suggest we all stun him as quickly as possible. I for one would rather not be victim to an Unforgivable or two. So, on my mark...3...2...1...Stupify!"

The spell echoed throughout the ballroom in several different tones. Unluckily for the Dark Lord, they all hit their mark, him.

"I see you finished without me and here I so wanted to be able to inflict some revenge while I was able. Merlin knows that if that brat of yours succeeds, he will not allow anyone to harm his newest engendered enterprise." Lucius said with a slight hint of sarcasm.

"Someone bind him, while I force the potion into him. None of us wants him conscious again before we are ready." Severus ordered.

"Is there fighting still going on?" Narcissa asked as she watched her husband and Severus.

"There really wasn't much opposition, and those that were left were very weak. It makes me think that they had something big planned for today. Had your elves not reported anything?" Lupin asked as he stepped over the bound and stunned form of Wormtail. "This seems to be a little to easy, has anyone checked to see if that is really Voldemort? Maybe Harry wasn't as successful as he thought in his forays into Voldemort's head."

"It is him. You can feel the cold darkness that has surrounded the Dark Lord since his resurrection." Lucius explained with a slight shudder. "Hurry and get him out of here, I need to shut down the manor so that no one can return unless they are with myself or Narcissa."

HPHPHPHPHPHPHP

"There you are! We were about to come after you. You've taken forever since I was pushed out of his mind, none too gently I might add. What did you cast on him?" Harry asked anxiously.

"Remember your third year? Well, multiple stunners do nothing for the person they cast on." Severus explained.

Harry and Hermione had the grace to blush.

"I suggest you get busy if you plan on doing this. There is no telling how long the potion will work on him. We are lucky it worked at all considering he is not all human any longer." Severus said as he guided the prone body that was floating behind him.

"Lay him down there, please. Thank you. Now, I know you're not going to like this part, but I don't want you to interfere, no matter what, all right?" Harry requested.

Severus and Hermione could do nothing more than watch as Harry sat down and seemed to do nothing but touch Voldemort's hand and leg.

HPHPHP

"Tommy? Are you here? Tommy? Oh, there you are." Harry said as he felt the little hand slip into his. He smiled down at the little boy. "Are you ready, Tommy? I'm going to try and make it all better, ok?"

The little boy just nodded. Fear was very evident in his eyes. "Will this hurt, like it did with the bad man?"

"I hope not. It didn't hurt the others. But, they weren't like you. I'm sorry if it does hurt, but if you want to live like you were supposed to, well it is going to be necessary." Harry explained.

"It's ok, Harry. Go on, we understand, even if he doesn't." The teenaged version of Tom Riddle told him. "We want you to fix what that other wizard tried to destroy."

Harry nodded, before he vanished.

"Come on, Tommy, let's find a nice memory to wait in."

HPHPHP

Sweat was trickling down Harry's brow and back. His eyes and forehead showed the strain he was under, as did the slight tremor moving throughout his body.

"It wasn't this bad with your mark." Hermione quietly mentioned.

"It was not this bad with Percy, either. He said not to interrupt, and we must do as he asked. There is no telling what reaction he is getting from any of the spells Grindelwald used, much less anything the Dark Lord himself has done in all the years since. We must give him time." Severus encouraged.

"I know. It's just hard to sit here and watch him suffer like this. I may seem like a Ravenclaw most of the time, but this sitting here doing nothing, well that's why I was put into Gryffindor." Hermione explained.

"I have suspected as much. I really did pay more attention to you than you think. Do you really think I would not find out everything I could about the children my son was friends with. I imagine I know more about everyone in your year than Minerva does. I...Harry?" Severus interrupted himself when Harry groaned.

"Look! Voldemort is shifting. He's changing...well, parts of him are. Was Percy's change like this?" Hermione asked.

"No, his change was nothing like this. Again, it is to be expected. It looks almost like those parts having little or nothing to do with Dark Arts are changing easily, while those that have the most to do with them are not. It seems Harry is in for more of a fight than we originally thought." Severus pointed out.

"Is there anything we can do, anyway to help Harry?" Hermione asked with a hint of panic in her voice.

"Other than be here for him, no, nothing." Severus said as he laid his hand on the back of Harry's.

"Harry is shaking now, Severus. Maybe we should stop him, he's not going to be able to hold on much longer physically, much less magically." Hermione said, nearly hysterical.

"He will succeed, have faith..." Severus started to say.

"Look!" Hermione interrupted as there was an upsurge of magical energy right before everything became deadly quiet.