Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
And here it is finally, another chapter. My apologies for how long it has taken. The muse went AWOL. And this chapter is shorter than some and really mostly Draco centered. I promise Harry will be back with Sev in full force in the next chapter (which is about a third of the way done), but Draco was demanding time too. Had to give in to a pouting little Dragon. :) Anyway, hope you all enjoy and I will try to post sooner next time. Thanks to everyone who has reviewed. I really do appreciate it!
Chapter 10 - Change of Plans

Severus had read the letter and sighed. Why he should be surprised he didn't know. It was typical of his old friend. Rising from his desk the Potions Master went to speak to McGonagall, informing his colleague of yet another change in plans. So much for a quiet holiday break it seemed.

Having taken care of the details, Snape returned to the dungeons in search of his godson. Most of the students were either doing last minute packing or out playing in the snow. Draco's dorm was empty but the messy bed with a half packed trunk was unmistakably the young Malfoy's. Snape was about to turn away and wait until later to worry with talking to the boy when his dark eyes fell on a piece of paper on the pile of clothes. Going over, the professor picked it up and frowned as he glanced at the familiar script. The scowl intensified as he read it and his anger rose. How could a person be so cold to their own son? Shaking his head, Snape knew now where his little dragon was. Tossing the letter aside, the Potions Master headed for a deserted turret, the favored thinking spot of one Draco Malfoy.

s s s s s s s s s

Slender crossed arms rested on the windowsill as the little boy gazed out the frosty pane at the softly falling snow. The outside world looked so calm and peaceful, perfect for the coming holiday. A holiday which had suddenly become less of a happy occasion for the occupant of the small turret room.

He didn't need the letter to remember the words that now seemed burned in his mind. The ones that had changed him from a happy child packing to go home to the one now alone and fighting back his emotions.

Important job to attend to. Mother will be going, but no place for children. Will make arrangements with your godfather. If possible will come to visit during the spring term. If not will see you in the summer.

Draco leaned his forehead against the cold glass and swallowed hard. It wasn't that he would have such an awful time staying at school in the care of his Uncle Sev. It was the fact that he was staying at all that had him upset. Only a few days earlier he had taunted Potter about people with no family that cared about them having to remain at Hogwarts for the Christmas break. And now this. He could just imagine the return taunts and the glee that would be in Potter's face and Weasley's as well once they found out.

Lost in his thoughts the blond boy didn't notice the footsteps behind him. "I see you have read your letter."

Without looking around, Draco nodded. "Yeah."

Normally Snape would have at the very least arched an eyebrow at the 'yeah' if not issued a verbal reminder to his godson about his manners. Today however, he let it pass. Going to Draco's side, he placed a hand on the boy's shoulder. "I have informed Professor McGonagall and she will add your name to the list of those staying," the head of Slytherin house stated. "You may stay either in your dorm or in my quarters." Snape was well aware that only a very few of his snakes would be staying for the holidays, but if Draco decided he wanted privacy, the Potions Master was willing to allow him the choice.

At his godfather's words, something snapped inside the young boy and Draco turned and flung his arms around Snape. "I don't want to be alone!" he exclaimed, burying his face against his godfather.

Slightly taken aback at the reaction, Snape sighed and put his arms around Draco. Wonderful! He thought, just exactly what he needed. Another emotional child to deal with. And how he was going to tell Draco that he would be sharing Snape's quarters with Potter the man had no idea. For the moment though he concentrated on calming the young one in his arms.

"Alright now, hush, Dragon," Snape stroked a hand through the fine blond hair. "You will not be alone." It was truly amazing that he used the same words so often now, Snape mused. It was not as though he had a limited vocabulary, yet he caught himself speaking nearly the exact phrases to both Draco and Harry these days. The dark haired wizard had to smirk at that. Both boys would be appalled if they knew.

Draco held on a bit longed than he normally would and when he raised his face from Snape's black robes the boy's cheeks were still wet. Wiping a sleeve over his face to remove the evidence of the tears, Draco nodded. "Thank you for letting me stay with you, Uncle Sev."

"You are welcome, Draco. Now go and get washed up. We both need to get to dinner." Snape gave Draco's shoulder a gentle squeeze and then keeping his hand in place, the Potions Master guided the young blond boy from the turret.

s s s s s s s s s s

"You're joking!!"

"No."

"But. . .but it's. . .HIM!"

"Yes."

The blue eyes regarded the boy's dark haired companion as Draco attempted one last time to make some sense of what he had heard. "Uncle Sev, please tell me that you're just kidding."

"I assure you I am not, Draco. Mr. Potter will indeed be spending the holidays here with us," Snape stated. He had known that it would come as a shock to his godson to find out the two boys would be together and therefore the Potions Master had tried to soften the news somewhat by inviting the young Slytherian to dine with him that evening.

"With you, you mean," Draco sneered. "I'M not staying anywhere near him!"

Snape quirked an eyebrow. "Then where do you propose to stay?"

Draco bit his lip. He and his godfather both knew that the boy didn't want to have to stay in his dorm but in this case the blond rebel threw normal sense out the proverbial window. "I'll stay by myself!" he stated with boyish bravado. "Anything beats having to be near THAT!"

Not in the mood to deal with petulance, Snape responded, "No, you will not, Mr. Malfoy. You will stay here with me, as we planned. And you will cease the bratty attitude. Or face the consequences." The look leveled at Draco gave clear warning.

The blond looked away and folded his arms, muttering, "Fine."

"What was that?"

"Yes, sir." Draco quickly changed his answer.

Snape nodded and dropped the next bombshell. "I will have the room ready for you and Potter by the time you are done with classes Friday."

Once again Draco's mouth fell open. "THE room?? As in only one?? I have to share?? With HIM??"

The Potions Master sighed. Yet another example of how spoiled his godson was, the man thought to himself. "Yes, Draco, you will be sharing. Think of it as just another dorm room if it will help."

"But it's not! He's not in my house and I don't want to share ANYTHING with him!"

"I do not care what you want, little boy, you will do as you are told." Snape's tone now had a hard edge to it. "You will behave yourself for these next two weeks or you will wish that you had. Am I understood?"

The blond head nodded and Draco refused to look up at his godfather.

"A verbal answer, Draco," Snape reminded.

"Yes, sir," the boy replied softly. "May. . .may I go now?"

"Why?" The question was short and to the point.

"I. . .I have some studying to do," Draco still had his head down.

While Snape knew that might possibly be true, he also knew this child and it was an excuse. One that Draco was hoping his godfather would buy. Snape almost snorted. "It can wait a little while," he stated. Then his tone softened slightly, "Come here, Dragon."

Glancing up, Draco saw the beckoning motion and slid off the couch. Going over to Snape, he stood in front of the man's chair.

"Well?"

The young boy read the invitation in the dark eyes and within a second was forgetting that he was eleven and much to grown up for such behavior as he climbed into his godfather's lap. Feeling the familiar arms around him, Draco dared to voice, albeit in a quiet voice, his feelings. "I thought it was just going to be us."

Severus sighed and smoothed a hand through the blond hair. "Just the two of us? Like in the summer?" The little head nodded. "Dragon, I did not know until you did that you would not be going home for the holidays. I had already talked to Potter about things; the day you were taunting him about staying."

Draco kept his eyes down and idly fingered Snape's robe, wondering if this was going to lead to another lecture.

"Look at me, Draco," Snape directed and once the blue eyes reluctantly rose to meet his, the man continued. "You are not the only student to feel alone and not like the feeling. I would hope that the two of you, since you are both fairly intelligent, can understand that and put aside your differences at least somewhat. If you truly try, I would dare say you might even find a few similarities. But regardless, we will all be spending the holidays together and we will make the best of it."

With a resigned sigh since there seemed to be no way out of it, Draco nodded. "Alright, Uncle Sev."

Thankful to have it resolved with at least one of the brats he would have to deal with, Snape nodded as well and hid a slight smile as Draco laid his head back down on the black robed chest. It would be an interesting two weeks.

s s s s s s s s s

"I still can't believe you're really going to do it."

"What choice do I have?"

Ron frowned as he crammed a few more things into his trunk, making the final preparations for the holidays. "If you had just. . ."

"Just what? Cried to your parents and imposed on them? Begged Hermione's folks to take me with them on their family trip? Complained to McGonagall or Dumbledore?" Harry shook his head. "There wasn't anything I could really do, Ron. We've been over it. Besides," the dark haired boy shrugged trying to act nonchalant, "it's only for two weeks. How bad can it be?"

Wide eyes regarded Harry and one comment sufficed to portray Ron's thoughts. "It's Snape!"

Harry sighed. Who was he trying to fool? His friend was right. The holidays were going to be hell. He glanced over as Hermione entered the dorm room.

"All packed finally?" the young witch inquired, looking at Ron's near to bulging trunk.

"Yeah, all ready for tomorrow," the red head answered.

"What about you, Harry?" Hermione gave Harry a half questioning, half sympathetic look.

"Ready as I'll ever be," he commented quietly.

"Well you should get a chance to look around at least. Maybe you can find some more information." Hermione went over to sit on Harry's bed.

"Oh would you stop harping on that?" Ron spoke up crossly. "It's not like we are ever likely to find out anything."

For weeks now the trio had been aware that something was going on in the castle, some secret guarded by a huge three headed dog. The fact that they had found the dog by total accident and that their friend Hagrid had let a few things slip had only caused the mystery to grow in Hermione's view. And she had dragged the boys along with her on her quest for answers.

Harry had been a much more willing participant than Ron and now at Hermione's suggestion, Harry nodded. "I can try, but I'll probably be under lock and key at all times."

"Not to mention scrubbing cauldrons and cutting up foul ingredients," the red head muttered.

Shaking her head, Hermione proceeded to outline some ideas to Harry while Ron rolled his eyes behind her back. Harry was fighting between listening and laughing until Ron finally said, "It's nearly dinner time, you know."

Hermione paused and looked over. "Don't you ever think of anything other than food?"

"No," came the predictable answer as Ron headed for the exit.

Laughing, Harry and Hermione followed, wanting to make the most of the last night together before the Christmas holidays.