Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Well silly me posted this on FanFiction.net a while back and thought I had done it here as well, but apparently not...so here it is. :D For those of you haven't already read it on the other site you get an added treat of having this chapter and the next of Second Chance to read all at once. Enjoy!
Chapter 11 - Three's a Crowd

Harry stood in the doorway and shook his head. "No." It was the only thing he could think of to say at the moment, though plenty more thoughts would find their way out of his mouth later. For now the monosyllable sufficed to convey shock, disbelief, anger, hurt, confusion, as well as a few other emotions.

Draco leaned against the doorframe after answering Harry's knock and looked at the other boy, sneering as if he was perfectly at home in the room and fine with things. "Hello, Potter. Finally found your way downstairs I see. Must be a bit of a surprise to find out that I decided to stay with Uncle Sev and told him I would even share a room with you. Of course, Mother says we should have some pity on inferiors even is Father thinks it's all a bunch of rot."

That did it. It had been bad enough to see his friends off knowing that they were going home for an enjoyable time. It had been bad enough to carry his things down from Gryffindor tower to the dungeons. But Harry had resigned himself to the fact that he would be with Snape for two weeks now. However, one thing he hadn't anticipated was Draco Malfoy staying with the Potions Master as well. And Harry drew the line there. He spun on his heel and was seconds away from stomping back down the corridor away from Snape's quarters.

"Where do you think you are going, Mr. Potter?"

Harry paused at the deep voice but then continued determinedly back in the direction from which he had come. "Away from here. I'll stay in the tower. Where I belong."

"You belong here and here is where you will be spending the holidays," Snape decreed.

"Like hell I will," Harry snapped.

Snape quirked an eyebrow. "Language, Potter."

Turning to face his professor, Harry let his tongue take control. "Language?? You expect me to stay with that bloody twit and don't even tell me and all you're concerned about is my language?!?!"

In one stride it seemed Snape was beside the boy, his hand grasping the slender arm as his dark eyes bored into Harry's green ones. "Do not even think of saying more," the cold voice warned.

Harry gulped and inadvertently shrank back slightly at the hard look he was receiving.

Snape glared down for a moment more and then pointed at the open door to his quarters. "Get inside," he ordered.

Still a bit upset, Harry stalked past both his professor and the smug blond boy and stood stiffly beside a chair.

"Sit down, Potter," Snape directed. "Draco, go to the bedroom and remain there until I call for you."

Draco frowned. He had wanted to witness the showdown between his godfather and Potter.

Seeing the frown, Snape quirked an eyebrow. "If you have a problem following directions, I can always allow you to wait in the corner instead."

Now it was Harry's turn to feel a bit smug as he watched the other boy hastily shake his head before stomping down the short hall and disappearing into what Harry assumed was the bedroom.

Once he had been obeyed, Snape turned his attention back to Harry. "I see that Draco is not the only one with a problem obeying. I told you to sit, Potter."

Harry met the Potions Master's eye for a moment and then dropped into the chair, still far from happy as his outward demeanor revealed. It was the inner feelings however that had the boy confused enough to blurt out the question. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because I have been busy with getting papers graded and arrangements made for the next two weeks," Snape stated as he walked over to his chair and took a seat. "As you were already staying with me, I did not think it necessary."

Not necessary? Harry stared at the man for a long moment before finally looking away. His anger was in check more now due to the fact the inner hurt was surfacing more strongly. Clenching his jaw, Harry fought it back. Why should he feel hurt? It was Snape.

The dark eyes studied the boy and Snape was a bit shocked at what he saw in the emerald depths before Harry had turned away. There had been a hurt, accusing look that he had not expected. What shocked the Potions Master even more were his own feelings. Perhaps he should have afforded the brat the courtesy of warning him of Draco's presence.

"Look at me, Potter," Snape directed curtly, shoving aside any emotions. "We need to get a few things straight right away."

"Like what?" Harry looked up.

"Like the fact that I expect you to behave and try to get along with Draco for the next two weeks," Snape stated. "You two will be sharing a room and I will not tolerate constant bickering."

A short nod was the only answer the Potions Master received and Snape quirked an eyebrow.

"I trust you understand, Mr. Potter?"

"Yeah. Did you tell Malfoy the same thing? Or is it just me that's supposed to obey while you let him do as he pleases?" Harry responded.

Snape frowned at the tone as well as the words. "The appropriate answer would be yes sir, not yeah, Potter. And what I have discussed with Draco is very similar to what you and I are now discussing."

"Only he knew about everything before now," Harry couldn't help but add in a low tone.

"Yes, he did," Snape agreed. "But you know now. I am not going to allow either of you to waste your holidays so there will be a study period each evening. You will attend meals in the Great Hall the same as always unless otherwise told. You may go places in the castle and on the grounds once you have asked me about it and been granted permission. You will go to bed at a reasonable time each night. And," here Snape gave Harry a harder look, "you will NOT go in the second room on the left of the hall. Is all of this clear, Mr. Potter?"

Another curt nod.

Holding back a sigh, Snape spoke with a hint of frustration. "A verbal answer, Potter."

"Why?" Harry asked flatly. "You've already said how things are going to be. And since I can't go anywhere else the answer's got to be yes, doesn't it?"

Snape looked at the brat for a moment. "Yes, I have already decided that I will not put up with any nonsense. But your answer still should be a yes, sir, not merely a nod."

"Fine. Yes, sir," Harry responded.

The tone made Snape frown. "Are you planning to spend the entire two weeks sulking?"

"I'm not sulking," Harry retorted defensively. Well, alright, maybe he was a little, but more than anything he was trying to figure things out. First Snape had asked him to stay here and that had been a shock, but once Harry got used to the idea, he had to admit deep down that it was nice having a place to go. Somewhere he felt even remotely wanted. Of course he would never tell Ron and Hermione that. They would think he was mental if he let it slip he thought Snape cared. Now though he was glad that he had kept all thoughts to himself. Apparently Snape had only done it out of. . .out of what? Pity? Duty, because of their bond? At this point Harry just didn't know any more. And even if Malfoy was staying too, why had Snape thought Harry so unimportant that he hadn't even told him anything?

The Potions Master observed the boy who was frowning in concentration, unaware that he was being closely scrutinized. The dark eyes took in not only the petulant posture but the confused and pondering look. He wondered what was going through the boy's mind. Of course there were several ways he could find out. . .legilimency, their bond, simply asking. . .yet Snape did none of those. Instead he nodded to what had been Potter's last verbal comment. "Good, because I do not put up with sulking brats. Now," he stood up, "bring your things and let's get you settled in the room you will be using."

Giving the man a long look, Harry at last obeyed and followed Snape to the bedroom set aside for his and Draco's use. It was nothing spectacular, but Harry was impressed none the less. The walls were a color that the boy wasn't sure how to describe. Where the light shone brightest, they seemed to be a silvery light grey color, but then in the darker areas of the room, it was more a charcoal grey. Either way, Harry decided he liked it. It wasn't a dismal look like he had once assumed Snape's quarters would be. A rug with designs in earthy tones of greens and browns and few blues covered the stone floor. There was a bookshelf against the end wall, to the left of the door, and a wardrobe in one corner. A pair of three drawer nightstands stood beside two beds. Each bed had a dark green comforter on it, and the one nearest the right end of the room was already occupied by Malfoy.

The young blond looked over with a disdainful sneer as Snape and Harry entered. Watching Harry put his things on his bed, Draco commented, "There should be a little room in the wardrobe. Though by the looks of things a little will be enough. Just make sure none of your rags touch my clothes."

Harry's eyes flashed in anger. He knew that his everyday clothes weren't the best since they were Dudley's old things, but having that pointed out to him by Malfoy was too much. "I don't need the wardrobe at all," he declared. "Those are for snobs. A drawer is good enough for me." And with those words, Harry turned to cram his small bundle of clothes into the bottom drawer of the nightstand.

A hand reached out to stop the action and Snape looked down at the dark haired boy, his voice firm. "You will hang your clothes up neatly, Potter. There is no reason to go around looking like an unkempt urchin."

"But I. . ." Harry stopped as the professor's eyebrow arched. "Okay, fine."

Snape regarded the boy for a moment and then nodded. Turning to Draco, the Potions Master questioned. "What did I tell you about your behavior, Draco?"

"I haven't done anything wrong," the Slytherian protested.

Taking the two steps to the bed, Snape glared down at his godson and smacked his leg. "Feet off the bed. And desist from your superior attitude. I will not put up with it here." He didn't add, 'and you know it,' but the look spoke volumes and Snape and Draco both knew the underlying words of expectation.

With a huff, Draco swung his feet off the bed as ordered and looked up at Snape. He gave little nod. Obviously he was going to have to torment Potter when his godfather was in another room.

Harry, meanwhile, had put away most of his things while listening to the events transpiring behind him. He allowed himself a feeling of satisfaction that Malfoy had gotten told off a bit. And he felt an unexplainable sense of happiness that Snape wasn't going to allow the Slytherian to rule things. Maybe the next two weeks would be at least livable after all.

s s s s s s s s s s

Harry had always secretly loved Christmas with all the decorations and fanfare. Not that he had ever really experienced it before while living with his relatives. Any and all treats from Christmas cooking and most especially presents were reserved for Dudley only. But that hadn't stopped Harry from looking. And pretending. And dreaming. There had been nights when he was little that he would slip out of his cupboard after the others were snoring away in their beds. Quietly the child would steal into the living room and lie down on the floor and gaze at the twinkling lights on the tree, his mind conjuring up what if's of having a real family and tree of his own.

Now as he entered the Great Hall, adorned with not one but a full dozen shimmering, sparkling, absolutely dazzlingly decorated trees, Harry couldn't hold back the little gasp as his eyes shone with wonder and delight.

"Move it, Potter." Draco's voice interrupted his enjoyment rudely. "You'd think you'd never seen a Christmas tree before."

Pulling himself back from his daydreams, Harry scowled at the blond boy and went to the table to take a seat. Since there were only a handful of students from each house at most and since Christmas was a time for goodwill to all, Dumbledore had seen fit to dispense with the four enormous house tables and for the duration of the holidays, all students sat at one large table.

The staff table was still on its normal platform and as he took a seat, across the table from and slightly further down than Malfoy as after all he didn't want to be too close, Harry glanced toward the head table. Dumbledore, McGonagall and Flitwick all appeared to be engrossed in some conversation while Professor Sprout and Madame Pomfrey were also discussing something which had both witches smiling. Snape as usual sat slightly off to himself and his eyes met Harry's as the boy viewed the adults.

The doors of the hall opened again and a still snowy but cheerful Hagrid entered and made his way to the staff table. "Sorry I'm late," he announced as he headed to his seat. "Had a bit of a time gatherin' the last of the greenery. But it's done now and I'll be puttin' it up right after dinner. Might could use some volunteers though." Here the loud voice was raised even a little louder and the large man's gaze took in both tables.

"Of course we will help," Dumbledore smiled. "And I am sure the children will love to be a part of things. Thank you for thinking of them, Hagrid."

The shaggy head nodded and Hagrid beamed. "Well sure, Professor Dumbledore. The little ones need some fun. What the holidays is all about, after all."

Snape shook his head at the total nonsense. He for one had no plans to join the idle merrymaking and the two boys he had responsibility for had work to be done back in their quarters.

s s s s s s s s s

"Why can't I help?" Harry questioned after dinner was over. He had planned to stay with Hagrid and who ever else decided to help decorate. Of course he had no delusions that Snape or Malfoy would stay, but to be told that he was not allowed angered the boy.

"Because you still have an essay to finish," Snape replied calmly.

"I can do it later. This won't take long and I want to help," the dark haired boy argued.

Malfoy shook his head with a sneer. "Why would you want to? What's so special about tying ribbons around a bunch of greenery? Decorating is for servants."

Harry looked at the other boy and then back at Snape. It was obvious to him that neither of them understood or cared. "Fine," he snapped. "let's go do the essay. I'm sure that will be loads more fun!" He began to stamp off in the direction of Snape's quarters.

"Potter."

The one word was said in a way that had Harry freezing in his tracks and looking over his shoulder. As Snape beckoned him back, Harry involuntarily swallowed hard. Surely Snape wouldn't say or do anything in front of Malfoy.

Once the boy had obeyed and returned to stand in front of him, the Potions Master gazed down at Harry for a long moment, letting the boy wonder and squirm slightly. At last he said sternly, "One hour. If you are not back in our rooms and with quill in hand ready to work by that time, you will regret it, Mr. Potter. Am I quite clear?"

The green eyes blinked and Harry couldn't entirely hold back a small smile of happy amazement at the decree granting him permission. "Yes, sir. One hour. Got it." He turned to hurry off and then stopped and looked back at Snape. "And thanks, sir."

Snape nodded curtly and then placed a hand on Draco's shoulder as the two headed in the opposite direction.

s s s s s s s s s

One hour later a smiling little boy made his way back to the dungeons, not really dwelling on what or who was waiting for him there. Harry had had so much fun helping out.

Madame Pomfrey had confiscated an armful of evergreen boughs and headed off to the infirmary with a sixth year Hufflepuff girl to add some decorations to cheer up the wing. Professor Flitwick had declined helping with the decorations, saying he had done his part with the trees in the Great Hall. Professor McGonagall also excused herself as she was going to attend to decorating the Gryffindor common room, with the help of two of the students who were staying. Harry had been torn then, but he had finally opted to stay with Hagrid and about a half dozen other students and put up the greenery in the main hall.

It had turned into a wonderful time for the boy. He had handed over ribbons and small baubles to hang among the fragrance greens and joined his voice with giving opinions as to where each thing would look best. There had been much laughing and the group even began singing carols, led by a rather loud and off key maestro Hagrid. As he approached the door to Snape's quarters, Harry was still softly humming one of the songs.

Opening the door, his spirits still high, the boy greeted the two occupants of the room with a wide grin. "You two don't know what you missed! It was so much fun!"

"I do know one thing you missed," Snape commented dryly. "Your designated time to be back here."

"What?" Harry looked around for the clock as Draco snorted from where he was curled up on one end of the couch reading.

"I said one hour, Mr. Potter. It has now been one hour and seven minutes," Snape decreed.

Harry's smile disappeared. "You've got to be kidding me! Seven measly minutes??"

Snape arched an eyebrow. "Seven minutes is enough to still consider you late, Potter."

"That's not fair! I had to use some time to walk down here," Harry fumed. "If you had your quarters in a NORMAL. . ." At Snape's glare, Harry's words died on his lips. A quick glance over at Draco showed him the other boy was only pretending to read now and watching the action over the top of the book with a smirk. Frowning darkly, Harry gave in. . .this time. He was not about to provide Malfoy entertainment at his expense!

Whirling on his heel, Harry stalked toward the hall leading to the boys' bedroom. "Fine! I'll get my books and study till my eyes pop out!" he snapped. "Bloody Scrooge!"

"Language, Potter," Snape warned. "And while you get your books I strongly suggest you leave your attitude."

Since he knew there was no way Snape could see him from the bedroom, Harry stuck out his tongue toward the door and set about gathering up the things he needed. Only to hear the Potions Master's voice drift down the hallway.

"Keep your tongue where it belongs, Potter."

Startled Harry looked at the doorway with amazement. How the bloody hell did he know?? Shaking his head, the boy added yet another book to his stack.

Sitting in his chair in the other room, Snape smiled to himself. Undoubtedly Potter was wondering if his professor could see through walls about now. Although it was simply a matter of knowing how petulant brats usually acted, Snape was satisfied with himself at the moment. Maybe Potter would think for a millisecond before acting next time.

s s s s s s s s s s

Harry awoke to the sound of light snoring and groaned. Honestly, why did he always get stuck with someone who snored?! First Ron and Neville and now Malfoy! Well at least the other two were his friends and a pillow tossed at them was all in fun. With Malfoy it was too tempting to just hold a pillow over the blond boy's head and silence his snores once and for all. Yet even as he thought it, Harry looked over at his enemy and knew he'd never be able to do something that cruel. Even to Malfoy.

The blond was sprawled on the bed as though he owned it, taking up much more room than Harry, who slept curled up the majority of the time. Harry had to admit Malfoy looked less cocky when he was asleep. The normally slicked back hair was loose and tousled and the boy's face was relaxed and young looking instead of being frozen in a sneer. He looked. . .almost normal, Harry thought.

Maybe that was what prompted the dark haired young wizard to react as he did. Seemingly with a mind of their own, his hands seized his own pillow and hurled it at Malfoy.

The satisfying whumph was followed quickly by, "What the. . ." and Draco struggled against his twisted covers to sit upright.

"It's morning," Harry announced with a grin.

"Big deal!" Draco snarled and flung the pillow back at Harry.

Harry caught the pillow and tossed it back on his bed as he got up. "Well, I'm getting up since you snore too loud to sleep through," he stated.

"I do not snore!" Draco declared. "It's. . .common! And Malfoy's don't do it!"

"Yeah, whatever." Harry rolled his eyes.

Draco narrowed his eyes. "You'd just better watch it, Potter," he warned before flopping back on the bed. "I'm not getting up. It's not like we have classes or anything."

"Suit yourself," Harry shrugged and gathered his clothes before heading to the bathroom to wash up and dress.

As he got ready for the day, the young wizard reflected on the previous evening. In a weird way it had been sort of nice. Snape hadn't said anything else about him being late back to the rooms and the evening had been spent with the boys studying and finishing their essays and Snape reading and making notes. There hadn't been a lot of conversation, but for some unexplainable reason to Harry it had felt comfortable.

He was musing on this when he heard a yell echoing through Snape's quarters. Snickering and wondering what had befallen Malfoy, Harry glanced at the door a moment later as a knock sounded.

"Potter?"

"I'm almost done," Harry called back in reply to the deep voice.

In the hall Snape nodded. "Good. Draco needs a turn." He looked down at the other young boy at his side and was rewarded with a glare that was dagger-like. It made him proud. With a pat to the now wet blond head, Severus returned to the main room to wait on the two boys.

When Harry opened the door, he had to snicker at the sight of Draco standing there in his pajamas, wet and fuming. "What happened to you?"

"Uncle Sev decided I was supposed to be up for breakfast. So he used a spell that doused me with water," Draco replied sullenly. "It's totally stupid to be up this early on holidays!"

Unable to hold back more snickers and wanting so badly to say 'I told you so,' Harry vacated the bathroom and allowed Draco his turn to get ready for the day.