Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter contains corporal punishment of an eleven year old. If you are opposed to this, please do not read.
Chapter 3 - Defiance and Daring
 

Severus Snape stepped into the Headmaster's office and immediately paused. He had received a summons from Dumbledore to meet with him about an important matter, but the sight of Minerva McGonagall made the Potions Master wonder what was going on.

"Come and join us, my boy," Dumbledore called, motioning to the other vacant chair in front of the Headmaster's desk.

Walking over, Snape gave McGonagall a nod and took his seat. "You wanted to see me, sir?"

"Yes, indeed I did," Dumbledore responded, offering Snape some candy which the younger man declined. "I wanted to inquire about how you have been sleeping."

The black eyes blinked and then narrowed. Just what was the old fool playing at here? Surely he had not. . .Snape glanced over at the other chair, but McGonagall merely sipped her tea and remained quiet. Clearing his throat, the Potions Master stated, "I have been sleeping just fine, Headmaster. Thank you for asking. Now what was it you wished to discuss?" Because it bloody well better be something other than THAT, the dark haired wizard thought to himself.

"That was what I wished to discuss, Severus. You have seemed a bit. . .off lately," replied the Headmaster, studying the younger man.

Snape frowned and gave Dumbledore a look which clearly said, why is McGonagall here.

"Minerva tells me that you have been rather short tempered with students and faculty both the last few days."

"Even more so than usual," McGonagall muttered.

"Almost as though you were not getting adequate rest," Dumbledore added, watching Snape closely.

Snape looked from the witch to the older wizard. "What have you told her?" he demanded.

"I merely suggested there might be a reason for your apparent ill humor," the silver haired man informed Snape.

"I am NOT in an ill humor!" snapped the Potions Master. Glaring at McGonagall, he questioned, "Is this about your precious Potter having back-to-back detention? Did he complain how cruel I was to make him suffer on a Saturday morning?"

Minerva leveled a look at Snape. "Potter has said nothing to me about you, complaint or otherwise, Severus. I have simply observed you eating less at meals, when you decide to show up. And there have been at least five times in the last two days that I have come across you shouting at students in the corridors."

Snorting, Snape shook his head. "I have always shouted at the ones doing something wrong or behaving like idiots, Minerva. That is nothing new."

"Five times in two days is a record even for you, Severus," McGonagall returned.

"Perhaps the students have been more dim-witted lately!" the dark haired young man retorted.

"And perhaps it is something else," Dumbledore put in. Then growing serious he looked directly at Snape. "How many times, child?" he inquired gently.

None, Snape wanted to shout. He wanted to rage that he didn't have to answer, didn't have to sit here and be interrogated like a schoolboy. The trouble was that was exactly how he felt with the older wizard and witch both observing him so closely. Not meeting anyone's eye, he quietly stated, "Twice."

"In three days?" The Headmaster looked concerned.

Snape sighed and nodded. "They are getting more intense as well. But," he looked up, "it is nothing that I can not handle."

McGonagall was a bit lost as Albus had not told her exactly what was going on, just that he suspected what was bothering the younger man. "Severus, what exactly is it that you are trying to handle?"

Giving a short laugh, Snape looked at his fellow teacher. "Dreams, Minerva. I've been kept awake by nightmares like a little first year. Satisfied now? You don't have to worry about the students though, especially not your glorious Gryffins. I have a new batch of Dreamless Sleep potion nearly complete and will be taking some tonight."

"It is not my students that I am worried about," the witch commented sincerely. "At least not my present day ones."

Snape turned from the concern and kindness. "Perhaps you should be," he stated. "Save your worry for those that can still be helped, Minerva." Standing, Snape looked to Dumbledore. "Now if you two will excuse me, I have things to see too."

Dumbledore nodded a bit sadly. "As you wish, my boy."

Without another word, Snape left the Headmaster's office. Minerva looked at Dumbledore with questioning eyes. Sighing, the Headmaster began to relate all that he knew on the matter.

McGonagall shook her head. "So it's Potter? If it is a link there, Albus. . ." she let the words trail off.

"I know, my dear. If the link is not recognized soon things will get progressively worse. For both of them."

"I will keep an eye on Potter. But Severus," Minerva sighed.

"Severus is Severus and we both know it," Albus commented, his eyes twinkling a bit.

"Too well," McGonagall snorted. But it was true, both of them knew that they could discuss things as much as they wished but it would do no good, not a thing would, or could, be solved until the older and more dominant personality in the link accepted and nurtured the bond. Until Severus Snape stopped being stubborn and acknowledged he was indeed connected with Harry Potter.

s s s s s s s s s s

A walk should have been relaxing. Should have been. But wasn't. Snape had finished the potions he had been working on, including the Dreamless Sleep one that he was going to make very sure to take that night, and then had gone outside for a walk. Only to find more chaos.

The professor frowned at the child now within his grasp. He had been unable to believe the ruckus he had come across on a simple walk. Two blasted first years playing around on brooms that they had no business having off the ground in the first place. Bloody little show offs, the both of them. Well, one he could and would deal with!

Draco Malfoy hurried beside his Head of House on the way back to the castle. It was not as though the blond boy had much choice. His ear was held securely in Snape's hand and personally Draco was rather used to having both ears and didn't wish to be parted from one. Although at the moment he was considering it a high possibility judging by the pain. "Professor?" the boy spoke up cautiously.

"Silence!" Snape barked making Malfoy wince even more. "I do not want to hear a word from you until we are in my office."

Malfoy started to nod and then thought better of it, instead simply trotting along and remaining silent as he seethed inwardly. This was all Potter's fault! And he would get the other boy for it.

Once back in the hallway near Snape's office, the Potions Master at last released his captive and ordered, "Get in my office and find a corner."

Draco gasped and spoke the first thing that came to his mind. "You can't be serious!! A corner??!"

The arched eyebrow spoke volumes, but Snape further clarified. "I assure you I am quite serious, Mr. Malfoy. Obey me!"

Without another word Malfoy yanked open the door of the office and stomped over to the nearest corner. This couldn't be happening! The last time he had been treated like this he had been five years old and spending two weeks of the summer with this same man. He was eleven now! Much too old for something like this!

Calmly closing the door, Snape added, "That's another two minutes for your petulant little stomping fit, Draco." Going to his chair, Snape took his seat.

"What??!" Draco wheeled around and stared at Snape in disbelief. "Are you mad??!"

"As a matter of fact I am rather angry," the dark haired wizard responded, deliberately choosing to use the other meaning of the word.

"That's not what I meant," the boy growled in frustration. He purely hated when his godfather bantered words like this.

"I meant for my words to be obeyed. Turn around."

Deciding to try another approach, Draco gave Snape a pitiful look. "Uncle Sev. . ."

"Nose in the corner, Draco."

"Fine!" the boy spun back around with a scowl.

"Two more minutes," came the calm response to the outburst.

Barely biting back an angry retort, Malfoy glared at the wall instead. Potter would pay!!

For twenty minutes Snape graded papers, ignoring the huffs and sighs and fidgeting from the corner for the most part, though he did add another minute when the noises were deliberately growing louder. Laying aside the current red marked paper, the Potions Master looked over at the slim child now standing quietly.

He had long ago vowed to do all he could to help his godson become a good wizard and a good person, despite some of Lucius' teachings. Snape well knew that Draco was the epitome of a rich child. . .spoiled rotten and over indulged by his mother and brushed aside or harshly punished by his father until it was time to parade him forth if the boy happened to meet expectations on some level. Severus had begun when Draco was a small child to allow him to spend two weeks with his godfather in the summer. Once the boy had even begged for and was allowed an entire month. While their relationship wasn't what some would call all roses and rainbows, it suited Snape and Draco. Each knew that the other cared, often more than was ever said aloud.

Snape had been pleased to have the little boy start Hogwarts and be a member of his house so that he could look out for Draco even more. The boy had some bad habits that needed to be broken, such as the need to show off. And Snape fully intended to address that one now.

"Draco, come here."

Turning from the corner, the boy did as he was instructed, a sulky look on his face as he stopped in front of Snape's desk and took up a pose of hands behind his back and head up with the air of one who had had practice with this particular position before.

Getting straight to the point, Snape asked, "Why were you flying when Madame Hooch gave orders that no one was to be off the ground in her absence?"

"Because I could," Draco answered defiantly. "I know how to handle a broom, unlike some of those pathetic idiots."

Snape frowned. "I do not care that you have been flying since you were four, Mr. Malfoy. You were given directions by a professor. Directions which you deliberately and willfully chose to disobey."

Draco shrugged.

"I suggest you adjust the attitude, little boy," Snape warned in a dangerous tone that he knew his godson would know well. "You know how I feel about disobedience."

A flicker of worry registered in Draco's eyes, but he dismissed the tone. They were at school after all. What could Snape do to him here? "I wasn't the only one," he pointed out.

"Yes, I am well aware who else was disobeying," Snape commented coolly. "But Potter is neither in my house nor my concern. You, however, are. And Potter was flying because you lured him to do it."

"What?! It's not my fault he followed! He didn't have to!" The blond boy was incensed.

"Drop the theatrics, Draco. You knew very well that if you taunted him, Potter would follow you. It was what you wanted all along. I dare say you thought you could easily out fly him. Make him look a fool." The flush that rose on the boy's cheeks reveled that Snape's assumptions were true and the man continued. "The point is you broke a rule and you put students in danger."

"Well Potter shouldn't have tried it if he didn't know how to fly. He put his own self at risk. And I wasn't in any danger," Draco complained.

You are in danger of a different sort right now, Snape thought, though he didn't say it aloud. The cocky attitude was bad enough, but the blatant disregard for rules and lack of concern for a life, no matter whose life it was, were totally unacceptable as far as Severus was concerned.

"Ten points from Slytherin for your stunt, Mr. Malfoy," Snape decreed sternly.

Malfoy blinked. "What?? You can't take points from me. . . us. . .your own house!!"

"I just did," Snape commented and then crooked a finger at the boy. "To me, Draco."

As if the points weren't enough shock, the order had Draco frozen in place. He knew what the order usually heralded when he was staying at Snape's house and had managed to land himself in trouble. But now?? "W. . .we're at school, sir," he pointed out in a hesitant voice.

"I am aware of that."

"You. . .you already took points."

"I did." A stern finger pointed to a spot beside the professor's chair.

Draco swallowed hard and took a cautious step. "Uncle Sev. . ."

"Now, Draco."

Biting his lip, Draco slowly but surely moved to the designated spot. Snape pushed his chair back and a bit to the side and looked at the now nervous little boy. Gone was the cocky demeanor that was shown in public. This was his little dragon, the same child that still climbed up on the couch with him to read and talk every night when they were alone in the summer. 

"You know better, Draco. You know what I expect of you and you know how I deal with disobedience."

"But it. . .it's school!" the boy partially wailed. "And it's just Potter!"

"I do not care who it is, Potter or any other student. What you did was wrong and dangerous to everyone involved. Yes, even you," Snape added at the look he was getting. "You were showing off, Draco. You weren't being as careful and observant as you should have been, were you?"

The blond head gave a slight shake. "No, sir."

"Take your robes off and put them on the extra chair for now and then come back here," Snape directed.

With a resigned sigh, Draco obeyed, dreading the next several minutes. He smoothed out his robes a moment, but as his stalling became obvious and Snape cleared his throat, the boy made his way back to the man's side.

Snape opened a drawer of his desk and withdrew a wooden ruler.

"Not that! Please, Uncle Sev!" Draco pleaded, his eyes welling with tears.

Seemingly unmoved, Snape stated firmly, "Yes, this, Draco. Rules exist to keep you safe and you broke them. I will not have you putting yourself in danger, Dragon." Giving the boy a stern look, Snape issued the usual order, "Trousers, Draco."

Sniffling, the boy reluctantly unfastened and lowered his trousers and without having to be told bent across his godfather's lap.

Snape had never liked having to punish children in general, but most especially not his godson. Yet he believed at times it was necessary and a good spanking seemed to work well with his dragon and bring him back in line for quite some time. Laying the ruler aside for the moment, he tugged down Draco's pants and begin to spank the bare bottom with firm swats that stung and turned the skin rosy.

Draco had automatically reached for Snape's leg and held tight like he always did, whimpering a little as his bottom became sorer.

After a  few minutes of brisk spanks, Snape picked up the ruler and felt the boy tense. Draco knew what was coming. Steeling himself, Snape delivered six good cracks of the wooden ruler to the tender bottom and then stopped. Straightening Draco's clothes, Snape pulled the crying boy into a hug.

Draco couldn't help but sob as first Snape's hand and then the ruler set his backside on fire, but the moment it was all over and he was safe in his Uncle Sev's arms, he returned the hug fully, clinging to Snape and crying against his shoulder.

"Hush now, my Dragon. I've got you," Snape consoled as he rubbed Draco's back and held him close until the tears abated. Once Draco was merely sniffling again, Severus gently eased him back enough to tip the boy's chin up and wipe the tears from his face. "I trust we won't have a repeat of this stunt?"

"N. . .no, sir," Draco answered with a slight hitch to his voice. "I'm sorry, Uncle Sev."

Nodding, Snape gave the words needed to end the matter. "All forgiven, little Dragon."

Giving Snape a watery smile, Draco, reached back and gave his backside a rub. "I really hate that thing, you know," he commented with a half teasing pout.

Snape quirked an eyebrow. "You know how to avoid it."

"Yeah, yeah," the boy muttered with a grin.

"Go to your dorm and get some homework done, you cheeky brat," the dark haired wizard ordered.

"Okay, Uncle Sev. . .Professor. . .sir," Draco gave Snape a last squeeze and gathered up his robes. Putting them on, he flashed his normal cocky grin and headed out of the office.

"Why did I become a teacher?" Snape muttered to himself. "I thought it would be an easy way to torture brats. Instead they end up torturing me."

s s s s s s s s s s

Harry was almost too excited to eat at dinner, much less notice that Malfoy was sitting carefully with his goons and doing more squirming than usual while alternating glaring at Harry and glancing at the teacher's table. The young Gryffindor chatted away to Ron about Quidditch, even though they had been going at it for over an hour already.

"I've got to keep it a secret though," Harry cautioned Ron for the fortieth time.

"I know, mate, you told me, remember," Ron commented as he took another heaping bite of food. "But the youngest in a century. . .it's bloody fantastic."

"Yeah," Harry beamed and set to work eating a bit himself.

"You know," Ron spoke though a mouthful of potato, "Fred and George are on the team too, and so our folks can cheer for you too now when they come for a match."

Harry's grin slipped slightly and he nodded. "That'd be nice."

Ron noticed however and gave his friend a quizzical look. "You don't want 'em to or something? I promise I'll make Mum not kiss you in public. Well if I can. She's got some weird ideas." The boy shrugged apologetically.

"No, it's not that," the dark haired boy answered. "It's just. . .well, McGonagall said that my dad was a really good Quidditch player too. And that. . .that he would have been proud of me." Harry shook his head and concentrated on his plate, the last comment softly spoken. "I just wish he could be here to see me."

Not knowing exactly what to say to that one, Ron patted Harry's shoulder in a friendly gesture and both boys finished the meal without further comment.

s s s s s s s s s s

Climbing in bed later that night, Harry pulled the covers up and lay looking up at the ceiling. It had been an eventful day. He had thought for sure he was going to be expelled when first McGonagall and then Snape had charged toward them at flying practice. Instead Snape had glared but seized Malfoy. Now that was a moment to savor, Harry grinned to himself as he recalled the other boy trotting off with Snape pulling him by the ear. Probably got off with no more than that, but still, the moment was one to file away.

Then instead of  being expelled or punished in any way, he had landed the position of Seeker on the house Quidditch team. With a contented sigh, Harry closed his eyes. His dreams would be sweet this night.