Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter contains the spanking of a child. If that bothers you, please do not read.
Chapter 5 - Trouble With a BIG Capital Lumos T

The air was getting chillier and the latest school year at Hogwarts had been going on for nearly two months now. Two months. Long enough for a good many of the old students to settle back into their old routines and for the first years to start making one. Long enough for friendships to be established or reaffirmed. Long enough to make Severus Snape's life hell. Never before had two months seemed so long.

Everyone else in the castle was in high spirits as the days ticked by to the first large celebration of the year after the welcoming feast. It was nearly time for the Halloween banquet. There were decorations in the corridors, not the flimsy little paper cutouts that the muggles used, but real ones. In the main entrance hall suits of armor stood sentry and raised their swords to form an arch for any passing them and ascending the stairs. Skeletons flanked doorways, jack-o-lanterns rested on rails or door posts and could be heard conversing with each other at times, and the garlands on the banisters were fashioned of snakes. The castle ghosts, especially those who had met their end somewhere near Halloween, where more vocal than ever, telling their tales to groups of students in small gatherings in ways that were much better than any muggle ghost story, mainly because these stories were true and the proof of them floated before the students. All in all things were as usual at the school for this time of year. At least for the majority.

s s s s s s s s s s

Snape stood at the top of the stairs looking down at the cluster of students. Potter had just returned from Quidditch practice obviously, as he still held his broom and was in the company of the Weasley twins. The youngest Weasley boy had come running up to them to convey some totally inane gossip no doubt. Snape sneered at the little scene. Disgusting really.

Harry felt eyes on him. Familiar eyes. He turned and found Snape staring at them and the boy met the man's gaze. It was only for a moment, but Harry felt as though something, he wasn't sure what, had touched him. Turning his head, he tried to ignore the feeling, instead nudging Ron and whispering. "Let's go to our dorm."

Ron turned to see what had caused the change in his friend and spotted Snape. "Yeah, our dorm would be much better," he agreed. "It's private." He raised his voice a bit on the last comment, causing Snape to arch his eyebrow.

"Well, we need to change anyway and then we can settle in and tell you about Harry's practice," Fred put in. "Even managed to impress Wood, which is saying something."

George led the way toward the Gryffindor tower, past Snape, lightly speaking as he did, "Afternoon, Professor. Best make sure your team has extra practice time. They'll need it!"

"Will they indeed, Mr. Weasley? I believe they are capable of handling SMALL matters." Snape gave Harry a pointed look and moved down the stairs away from the boys.

"Ruddy git," Ron muttered under his breath after they were out of earshot. Harry remained quiet, only once glancing back over his shoulder at the retreating form of the Potions Master.

Snape continued on to the hospital wing and his original destination. He needed to give Madame Pomfrey a few vials of potions that she had asked for as well as consult with her about several more. Potions, he thought to himself, keep your mind on your work, man. Not on that bloody brat! But try as he might, Snape could not deny what had just happened. They had touched. Briefly. But it had been there. And not in a dream this time. Damn! He still couldn't believe this. Couldn't, wouldn't accept it. Not now. Not ever.

s s s s s s s s s s

"What do you suppose we will have to eat?" Ron speculated. "It has to be something pumpkin with all the smells. But it could be pumpkin pie, pumpkin soup, pumpkin bread. . ."

"Will you stop that?" Harry's stomach was responding to the list of food with a few little growls. "All you think about is food."

"Nothing wrong with that," the red head grinned back as both boys pulled on their robes.

Harry couldn't help but laugh at his friend. It was Halloween and time for a banquet and some fun. Classes had only been for half a day in honor of the celebration. The little boy felt that the day was going great and tonight would be wonderful. In fact for the most part the last two months had been better than any other time in his life. He had a best friend, not to mention other friends in his dorm mates. Classes were going okay, well, if potions was ignored. He had become the youngest Seeker in a century and found out that he loved flying. Now if only he could somehow end the dreams that were plaguing him consistently now, life would be grand.

s s s s s s s s s s

He hated holidays and celebrations. Loathed them. They served no real purpose. Snape readied himself for the traditional Halloween banquet with a scowl. If the Headmaster did not expect. . nay, order. . .all the teachers to attend, Snape would have happily stayed in his rooms, brewing more potions or at the very least reading and relaxing. He would not be attempting to be polite while dodging bats and watching as an entire school of brats was allowed to overindulge and be on a sugar high or make themselves sick. With a sigh of disgust, the Potions Master adjusted his robes a final time and strode from his rooms, sneer firmly in place.

s s s s s s s s s s

As it turned out all of Ron's choices had been correct. There WAS pumpkin bread, warm and spicy; as well as pumpkin soup and pumpkin pie in the form of small individual tarts. Not to mention the vast array of other foods. Baked potatoes, meat pies, roast chicken, and an assortment of vegetables. All manner of apple treats rivaled the pumpkin selection. . .baked apples; apple turnovers; candied, caramel, and toffee apples; and of course a large bowl full of plain apples, crisp and sweet and ready to be munched. And best of all cauldrons full of candy, both ordinary and the more magical variety! Lollipops as big as Harry's hand, toffee, chocolate frogs, and a dozen others, some of which Harry had never seen. It was too good to be true. The boy was laughing and eating and totally enjoying himself, as was everyone around him. The noise level of the Great Hall was practically double what it normally was.

But despite all this revelry, when the doors banged open the huge room was suddenly silent. Professor Quirrell burst in, looking like a wild man and yelling his head off about a troll before fainting dead away. Immediately the noise returned, this time one of chaos and panic and even louder than the previous level of gayety. Screams resounded, yells echoed, questions and speculations flew faster than the swooping bats.

And again the hall was brought to utter silence by the Headmaster's commanding, booming voice. Orders were given and began to be followed. Ron grabbed a handful of candy and crammed it into his robe pockets before joining Harry and the other first year Gryffindors hurrying after Percy.

Harry was as scared as any of the students, but as he climbed the stairs and made his way along the corridor with the others, speculating with Ron as to how a troll could have gotten in, Harry suddenly froze.

"Hermione!"

Ron gave him a puzzled look. "What about her?"

"She doesn't know about the troll!"

"Someone will check the bathrooms. Come on," Ron started walking again.

Harry frowned. No one else would think of it. They were all too panicked. And the teachers, even if they had known Hermione was missing, were all heading to the dungeons. "I'm going find her."

"You've lost your bloody mind!" Ron exclaimed, but he turned and came back to Harry. "Oh alright, but let's hurry!"

Both boys set off down the hall at a run, breaking to a halt when they heard other footsteps. Big, loud footsteps. Looking at each other with wide eyes, Harry and Ron hid until the troll had lumbered past. And entered. . .

"AHHHHH!!!!"

"The girls' bathroom!" Harry and Ron shouted as one and ran forward once more, wands out and ready.

The scene of Hermione huddled under the sinks and terrified out of her wits spurred Harry to leap into action. Literally. Without a thought to his foolhardiness, the boy launched himself on the troll's back, managing to lodge his wand in one of the creature's nostrils. This action only served to further enrage the hulking brute and put not only Hermione, but now Harry and Ron is very grave danger.

As the troll bellowed in pain and swung the club around, Harry added his own yells to those of Hermione for Ron, the most inept of the trio, to do something. And amazingly, Ron did.

Moments later Harry found himself on the floor and then watched as the troll toppled over, shaking the room with his gargantuan size. Retrieving his wand and trying not to be sick, Harry wiped it clean. No sooner had the children turned for the door than they found themselves facing opponents every bit as formidable as a troll in the sight of the eleven year olds. Professors McGonagall, Snape and Quirrell.

"What were you three doing??!" Professor McGonagall demanded with a glare that could have frozen water and effectively chilled her three students.

"I. . .we. . ." Harry gulped. It didn't help matters that Snape was giving him a piercing look. The boy lowered his gaze quickly.

"It was my fault."

Every head turned toward the quiet voice as Hermione stepped forward.

"Your fault, Miss Granger?" McGonagall questioned. "How?"

"Well, I had read about trolls and wanted to see one and so I. . .I went looking for it," the young girl responded in a halting voice. "Harry and Ron saved my life."

Quirrell tsked and shook his head, earning him a glare of his own from the Potions Master and the hiss, "If you can not be of help, I suggest you leave. Professor McGonagall and I are capable of handling this."

The timid little professor bobbed his head and hastily departed, though none of the children really paid him any heed. They were all too worried about their Head of House's reaction.

"I am shocked and disappointed, Miss Granger. I had expected better from you," the older witch said sternly. "Five points will be taken from Gryffindor for you foolishness, Miss Granger. Return to your dormitory immediately."

"Yes ma'am," Hermione whispered. After a quick glance at the boys, she hurried away.

"As for you two," McGonagall now turned her gaze to Harry and Ron. "Why were you even near, let alone IN the girls' bathroom?"

"We heard Hermione scream and ran to help," Harry supplied.

"Indeed." McGonagall pursed her lips and looked down at the duo. "And amazingly enough, you did manage to help. It is a miracle any of you children survived. Nothing more than sheer dumb luck that you were able to overcome a fully grown mountain troll."

Harry and Ron darted a glance at each other. Were they going to possibly survive after all?

"Therefore," the woman continued, "I am awarding each of you five points."

The boys grinned broadly. Not only had they survived, they had gotten back points! As McGonagall turned to leave, she exchanged a brief look with Snape, but then nodded and continued on her way.

Temporarily forgetting Snape's presence, Ron exalted. "Ten points, Harry! Do you hear that? AND we'll be heroes!"

A snort brought them back to reality. "Not likely, Mr. Weasley," Snape sneered. "You will be known as lucky, nothing more. It is time you headed back to your dorm."

Frowning, Ron looked ready to say something, but then settled for stalking off a few paces. "Come on, Harry. We'll go where we're appreciated."

Harry was plenty glad to leave the area, but as he made to follow his friend, a hand descended on his shoulder. Looking up he found Snape looking back coldly.

"You are coming with me, Potter." Without further ado, the Potions Master guided Harry past a speechless Ron and off in the directions of the man's office.

s s s s s s s s s s

Why me? It wasn't just me, Harry wanted to protest, but found the words sticking in his throat. He wanted to refuse to go with Snape, but that wasn't an option with the firm grip on his shoulder. What was happening? Why was Snape taking over? McGonagall had already dealt with them.

Stopping in front of his office door, Snape opened it and ushered Potter in, closing the door behind them. Then going to his desk, the professor stood at the corner of it, rather than take a seat in his chair. "McGonagall might be willing to buy the excuse that you just happened to hear Miss Granger scream, but I do not. I think you went looking for the troll for the sole purpose of proving you are indeed a great and mighty wizard, didn't you? And your little friends," he sneered, "went along for the thrill. Isn't that it?? I want the full story. Now, Potter!"

"NO!" Harry yelled, glaring at the man who was the one dark spot on his new life here at Hogwarts. "I didn't! I wasn't playing hero as you say! I DID hear Hermione scream. You can ask Ron. Which you SHOULD be doing! We were BOTH there. Why are you picking on ME?"

Snape glared at the boy. Insolent little brat! "What you should be doing is not raising your voice to me, Potter. It is a very bad idea," the professor warned in a cold voice. "I am not picking on you, as you claim. I simply know there is more to this story and I will find out the truth. By whatever means necessary."

Harry involuntarily took a step back at the last comment. By whatever means necessary? Just what means did Snape have at his disposal, the boy wondered. Were teachers allowed to hex students? He hoped not, but then again, they were alone here. Snape could do as he liked and no one would know. Harry felt decidedly nervous.

"I am waiting, Potter. And I warn you, I am not a patient man," Snape commented dryly as he continued to glare at Harry.

Yeah, no kidding, Harry thought, but frowned up at the Potions Master. "There was a bit of trouble earlier today and Hermione was hiding in the bathroom because she was upset. Ron and I knew and when we were on the way back to the dorm, I thought about how no one would know where she was and she wouldn't know about the troll. And then we heard her scream and ran to help. And we DID help!"

Snape arched an eyebrow. "Mind your tone, Mr. Potter. So instead of alerting a prefect or anyone older than yourselves, you and Mr. Weasley decided you were able to take on a mountain troll."

"Well we didn't know what kind of a troll it was." Harry was a bit surprised at his own flippant answer, but darn it, Snape was making him mad. He'd already been lectured by Professor McGonagall and in his mind, Snape had no right to add anything to that.

The dark eyes narrowed. "Five points for insolence, Mr. Potter."

"What? But you can't!"

"I assure you I can. And will continue to for as long as you wish to show me disrespect."

Harry fumed. It was so completely unfair. Now with his five points gone and Hermione's five points canceling out Ron's award, they were right back where they had started from.

As though reading his mind, Snape smirked. "Yes, the Gryffindor total is exactly as it was before the troll incident. It is as if it never happened. Only, it did happen, Mr. Potter. And you risked your life for no reason."

That did it! Harry's temper erupted and he stomped closer to Snape. "There WAS a reason, you stupid git!! Hermione was reason enough!! But then you could care less since she isn't one of you bloody snakes!!"

If the boy had suddenly hit him, Snape couldn't have been any more shocked. But the surprise rapidly turned to anger. Seizing Harry by the front of his robes, he lifted the child a couple inches. "Any student is cause for concern, boy! And there were three in danger tonight! Danger that could have been lessened if you had used your head and told someone what was going on instead of running headlong into a situation that you were not prepared for!"

Lowering the boy to the floor again, but maintaining a hold on him, Snape moved to his chair, dragging Harry with him. "I warned you not to yell at me, Mr. Potter. I am not in the habit of tolerating such blatant disrespect from students and I will not start now or make an exception for the Boy-Who-Lived. You will learn to mind your tongue." The Potions Master began removing Harry's robes, tossing them on the desk when he was done.

Most of Harry's temper had vanished when Snape lifted him off the floor. He still didn't fully believe this man could care about anyone, let alone a Gryffindor, but he had known it would be best to stay quiet when he was dangling above the floor. Then, finding himself pulled over to the professor's chair, he wondered just what was going on. The further lecture unnerved Harry even more. This didn't sound good and he was about to offer protest or an apology, he wasn't entirely certain which he felt the most like voicing. Only he never got the chance. His robes were removed and he looked at Snape in shock. "Wh. . .what are you d. . .doing??"

"Something that needs to be done," Snape stated as he yanked the boy over his lap.

Oh no!! No! He couldn't! Not seriously. . .he wasn't going to. . . Harry begin to struggle. "Stop! You can't!"

A sharp swat let Harry know that his teacher COULD. And worse than that, Harry felt his trousers being pulled down and. . .the boy whimpered in shame and fear. . .his underpants followed. Closing his eyes tightly, Harry tried to pretend this wasn't happening. He hadn't been punished like this since Dudley's sixth birthday party when he had dared to touch one of the toys his cousin received when he thought no one was looking. His uncle had paddled his backside so hard that it took two days before he could sit comfortably again. After that though, Uncle Vernon had decided Harry was a 'big boy' and used much more than his hand. The child shuddered at the memory but was brought quickly back to the present when Snape's hand smacked against his bare seat. Biting back a yelp, Harry squirmed. It stung just as much as he remembered.

"You will address adults with respect. You will not yell at them. Or be insolent." Each of Snape's comments was accompanied by a flurry of spanks that caused Harry to squirm more and forced out first little whimpers and then yelps as the awful sting built.

"Alright, I won't, I won't," he promised, just wanting this over. "Please stop." Harry didn't want to cry in front of this man, but he might if this continued much longer.

Snape gave no verbal response. Instead his hand supplied the answer that this was far from over as it continued firmly striking the upturned bottom. He was going to impart a good lesson to this particular student. The nerve of the little brat! Speaking to him. . .no not speaking, yelling. . .as he had. Snape landed a strong swat and heard a sniffle. Cheeky. Insolent. Prideful. Foolish. How dare he risk his life the way he had? Didn't he understand that life was a gift? And in his case a gift given at great cost.

As Snape's thoughts shifted to what could have happened to this child, he also shifted Harry further over his lap and the smacks became harder. "You do not rush headlong into things. You tell an adult and ask for help. You do not risk your life, Potter!" Even as he said the words, something seemed to register with the Potions Master, but he brushed it aside for the moment and concentrated on the task at hand.

Harry was sniffling as the spanking went on, but valiantly holding back the tears. Then he felt himself moved a little and his lower bottom exploded in pain. The assault on his tender sitting area caused the dam to break and Harry's tears flowed freely. He was certain that his backside was now engulfed in flames.

As the boy hung over his lap, crying, Snape felt Potter had learned his lesson. Giving the heated area one final spank, he stopped and replaced first underpants and then trousers over the reddened little bottom. Standing the boy up in front of him, Snape spoke sternly. "I hope I have made myself clear on a few things, Mr. Potter. It would be in your best interests to think about what I have said and learn from this incident."

Choking back sobs, Harry longed to rub at the stinging pain, but wouldn't allow himself to in front of Snape. Made himself clear?? Oh it was beyond clear! Harry thought to himself. He nodded, eyes fixed on the floor. "Y. . .yes...s....sir."

"Good. Then you need to get back to your dorm and get some sleep," Snape commented, handing Harry his robes.

Taking the words as a dismissal, Harry whispered another yes, sir, and departed as swiftly as he could with a sore bottom, his robes nowhere near correctly put on.

Snape watched the boy go, feeling a tug, almost like a nagging thought at the back of his mind. He frowned as he stood and moved to the hidden door leading to his chambers. He had first been aware of a slight difference while he was spanking the boy. His initial anger had changed to irritation and frustration with the entire fiasco. The very idea of an eleven year old going after a troll! That was it! Snape stopped cold. The feeling. The words, so similar to what he had spoken to Draco. The reason behind the words and the spanking. Concern. Bloody hell!! He couldn't! He wouldn't!!

s s s s s s s s s s

Harry had made his way slowly back to the tower, rubbing his backside plenty along the way. The sting had subsided some, but the undercurve where his weight would be when he sat down, was still plenty sore. The tears had stopped and he had paused long enough to wash his face in a boy's bathroom, so that when he stepped trough the portrait hole, Harry looked nearly normal.

Ron practically attacked him as soon as he entered. "Are you alright?" the red head demanded. "Did that sod give you detention?"

"No, he didn't give me detention," Harry answered honestly. No, he just walloped my butt instead, he thought. As to Ron's other question, what exactly constituted alright? But Harry found himself stating, "Yeah, I'm alright. Just kind of tired now. I'm going to head to bed."

Frowning somewhat at his friend's response but deciding not to push it after the day and night they had all had, Ron nodded. "Okay, mate. Night then."

"Night," Harry returned and started toward the stairs.

s s s s s s s s s s

There were more shadows. Harry noticed that right away. Everything seemed darker this time. Was it because he was utterly alone now? The bad man entered the room, the evil, maniacal laughter sounding louder than usual. Harry winced at the sound. It was so cruel. The fear rose, an almost tangible force in the room. The boy knew what was coming next, couldn't prevent it, couldn't even close his eyes against it. The words, the blinding flash, his mother falling. . .falling. . .and then. . .then the bad man turning for him.

Harry shot a look toward the door. Please be there, he begged, please. I need you so! The doorway was empty.

Tears coursed down the boy's cheeks as the bad man sneered and raised his wand. And then he saw it. Not in the doorway, but directly behind the bad man. The man. He had moved closer this time. Still shrouded in shadow, Harry had no a clue who it was, but whoever it was had to be better than the bad man.

Please! Please, help me! He sobbed and once again reached out, his arm stretching as far as it would go, his eyes shining with tears and making a desperate silent plea of their own. The man stood there. For one brief moment, Harry held out hope and then despair took over. He started to lower his hand. The mocking laughter rose again.

Suddenly there was a jolt as though something had struck him. Strong fingers clasped his own and held tightly and firmly. A tingle spread up his arm and filled his entire body with a warmth that Harry couldn't recall ever feeling before. It was an odd sensation, yet at the same time it felt. . .right. He somehow knew that things were going to be different now. There was a sense of safety. He wasn't alone anymore.

A scream filled the air. But this time it wasn't the scream of a terrified little boy. It was a scream of rage, at a plan thwarted, at a defeat not imaginable. Harry looked to the bad man and saw his face contort for a split second before he vanished, leaving behind only the faint echo of his scream.

Harry turned toward the man. The one who had lingered in the shadows until Harry had given up hope. The one who had finally come to help him. Who now held his hand, keeping him safe and secure. His savior.

The man stepped closer, out of the shadows. The boy looked up, and. . .

Harry bolted upright in bed with a gasp, his eyes huge as he broke off the dream. Snape?!!!!

s s s s s s s s s s

In his own bedroom, Snape sat on the edge of his bed, breathing heavily. What in Merlin's name had he done??!!