Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Like Father, Like Son

When Tobias woke up the morning after the storm Harry was still asleep, but Severus was no longer on the couch. Tobias assumed that his oldest son was making breakfast when he got a whiff something that smelled suspiciously like pancakes. Looking down at his youngest son he swore to deal with the Dursley's soon. Running his hand through the dark silky mess of hair on his lap Tobias began to wake Harry up.

"Harry, Harry, come on, lad, its time to wakeup. Harry..."

Eventually Harry's eyes fluttered open. He didn't really want to get up; it had been the first night in a long time he had gotten anything resembling a goodnight's sleep. Usually after a nightmare he couldn't get back to sleep and if he did he usually had more nightmares. It took him a moment to remember the events from last night. Once memory returned he blushed and sat up on the couch avoiding his father's eyes.

"That's never happened before," Harry felt inclined to say. "Normally, storms bother me, but never like that. I don't know why I reacted that way."

Tobias opened his mouth to say something, but was beat to it by Severus, who had appeared in the archway between the kitchen and living room. "Before, you didn't have anyone who, you felt, cared enough to take care of you. Now, that you have that, emotions and reactions that you felt you couldn't afford to express are coming out. Think of it as a defense mechanism. Before this summer if you had every felt truly scared, like last night, of a storm what would you have done? Who would you have gone to for comfort?"

Harry thought about the question for a moment. He defiantly wouldn't have gone to Ron or Hermione, they were his best friends and all, but he couldn't imagine either of them truly comforting him. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were Ron's parents and had seven kids of their own to deal with. He wouldn't tell Sirius, because his godfather would probably tell him he was being childish and start comparing him to his fa...James Potter. As Harry went through the list of everyone he knew he couldn't think of a single person he would trust with this information. Looking back at Severus he finally gave an answer, "I don't know. I guess, that's why it's good that it never bothered me before."

"Having a parent, Harry, means you have someone to watch over you, protect you, and punish you if necessary. Sometimes, especially as a teenager, it can get annoying, for you, even more so because you've never had anyone to take care of you before. However, though it seems bothersome at times it's that unconditional love and caring that you'll seek out when you can't handle something by yourself." Severus hadn't moved from the archway as he said this, but then began to slowly move away from the archway back to the kitchen. "Since you two finally decided to wake up I suggest you come eat breakfast before it gets cold."

Tobias rolled his eyes, but got up off the couch stretching a bit as he did so followed by Harry. Once in the kitchen Tobias and Harry took a seat at the table as Severus placed two plates of pancakes and one of sausage on the table.

"What's that?" asked Harry gesturing to the plate of pancakes with small brown chunks in them.

"Honestly, boy," replied Severus with a hint of a smile, "haven't you ever seen chocolate chip pancakes before?"

"You made chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast?" Tobias looked at his son disapprovingly. "So, any nutrition those pancakes may have had just got canceled out by chocolate, as though the syrup wasn't bad enough."

Severus shrugged and quickly put a bit of food in his mouth to keep himself from smiling.

Harry wasn't even trying not to smile.

Tobias rolled his eyes, shaking his head, and looked down at his plate determined not to smile.

Once breakfast was finished and Harry was done studying, Tobias, Severus, and Harry left the house and walked into the village. Tobias was sure to tell Harry that they were only going into town for cloths, that he would remain with him at all times and, overall, made it clear this was not intended to be a fun trip.

Once in town they went to several different shops and Tobias bought Harry a wide assortment of clothing, mostly for the summer assuring him that before he went back to school they would find some winter cloths for him. Not only did he get new shirts and trousers and shoes, but, to his slight embarrassment, shorts as well. Harry had the privilege of carrying most of it.

It was about an hour after lunch, at which time they hadn't eaten, when as they came out of a shop, Tobias stopped them. "Well, Harry, you've been extremely well behaved today, so while your still grounded, I don't see why we can't eat a late lunch in town. After one quick stop to get you a couple other things we'll grab lunch."

"If you don't mind," said Severus, "there are a couple of things I need to pick up as well, so why don't we meet back at the pub in an hour?"

"Sounds like a plan," agreed Tobias, "let's go, Harry." Tobias led Harry down the street toward another shop.

Severus released a sigh. He loved his father, but spending so much time with him and his new brother had taken their toll. Today had been especially taxing. He really just needed some time alone. Severus turned around to head in the opposite direction of his father and ran smack into something with enough force to send him stumbling backwards and the something tumbling to the ground.

Once Severus regained his bearings he realized he ran into the same woman from last night in almost that same place as last night. And like last night she had been carrying a box of books that were now on the ground. Severus rolled his eyes and helped the woman to her feet then helped her pick up her books.

"We really must stop running into each other like this," she commented as they collected the books.

"Why? Afraid of what people might say?" Severus asked his voice fill with sarcasm.

"No, I'm afraid for the welfare of my books," she stated as though surprised anyone could think otherwise. "And my arse," she said in a whisper that Severus was sure he wasn't supposed to hear.

Maybe it was the fact they were both kneeling on the ground and she had her before mentioned arse pointed in his direction, but he couldn't help he next comment. "It looks fine from here," Severus honestly couldn't believe he said that out loud, but once said could not be taken back.

"Excuse me?" she said, it was obvious she had heard him just didn't believe what she had heard, as she rose to her feet.

Severus also stood up both arms filled with books. The box holding them had not survived this time either. "I believe you heard correctly. Now if I recall your shop is this way, correct?" Severus gestured to door not to far away.

She merely nodded, her eyes slightly wide, a mischievous smile playing at her lips.

Once inside the shop, Serenity placed herself between Severus and the door blocking his only escape route. "I don't believe we were properly introduced last night, I don't recall catching your name."

"That's because I didn't give it," said Severus coming to stand directly in front of her, an act that would make most people feel, at the very least, intimidated.

Serenity, however, didn't seem the least bit bothered by this, "Well then what is your name?"

Severus resisted the urge to smile. "Severus, Severus Snape."

"Well, Severus," Serenity reached out her hand, "as you recall, I'm Serenity, Serenity Hood."

It was silent for a moment as Serenity stood there hand outstretched waiting on Severus to shake it, while Severus remained still making no move to take her hand. If Serenity felt nervous about this, she didn't show it and merely left her hand outstretched silently waiting on Severus. After a minute or two Severus slowly reached out and clasped her hand. This action elicited a huge smile from Serenity and Severus found he had difficultly not smiling himself.

"If I may ask," said Severus once they had released hands, "what are you doing with so many books?"

"Oh," Serenity moved from in front of the door once again allowing Severus access to the exit. "I'm opening a book shop. Apparently, there hasn't been one in this town for about five years."

Severus nodded his head but glanced around the shop disbelievingly. Sure there were several boxes of books piled in a corner, but not nearly enough to fill a shop. Not only that, but there were no shelves to speak of anywhere in sight.

"I know what your thinking," said Serenity turning away from Severus, "I'll admit it doesn't look like much but once I get the rest of the books unloaded and build the shelves it will be perfect."

"You plan to build your own shelves?" Severus raised an eyebrow.

"Of course, bookshelves are probably the easiest things ever to build." Serenity once again turned to face Severus. "I've already ordered the wood, it should be here the day after tomorrow. I just hope that I have all the books unloaded by then."

Severus knew he would regret it, but before he could stop himself the words had already left his mouth. "Maybe, I could assist you with that."

"No, I'm sure I'll manage, there's no need for you waste anymore of your time helping me." Serenity smiled sweetly.

Severus gave a slight shrug, "I don't really have anything else to do today."

"Well, in that case what are we waiting for." Serenity quickly led him outside and down the sidewalk a little ways where a moving van was parked filled to capacity with boxes.

As he looked at the work he had cut out for himself Severus couldn't help feeling that he had been manipulated and looked appraisingly at the woman responsible.

Two hours later Severus dropped one of the few remaining boxes in the corner with the others. Serenity wasn't far behind and dropped another box next to him.

"Well," she sighed drenched in sweat, not that Severus was much better. He had shed his outer coat earlier and his white shirt was almost transparent with perspiration. "that's the last of it. Thank you again for your help."

"There were still a few boxes left out there," commented Severus using his shirt to wipe the sweat out of his eyes.

Serenity waved her hand dismissively, "those are just some personal things that need to be taken upstairs."

"You live upstairs then?"

"Yes, I just said that didn't I?" Serenity pointed out as though talking to a small child.

Ignoring her Severus continued, "we may as well get them now then."

She shrugged but followed him outside where each grabbed a box and took them upstairs; Severus then went out and retrieved the finial box. Once back upstairs he noticed the time.

"Damn," cursed Severus.

"What?" asked Serenity concerned.

"I forgot. I was supposed to meet someone over an hour ago. I have to go."

"Oh," disappointment showed through in her voice.

Severus hesitated for a moment before speaking. "If you'd like, I'll come back Tuesday to help you build the shelves."

Serenity smiled again and nodding replied, "sounds like a plan, come by at about one and I'll have lunch ready."

Severus nodded and bidding her good day took off running towards the pub where he was supposed to meet his father and Harry.

Entering the door of the pub, Severus figured he was probably one hell of a sight to see. Drenched in sweat and breathing heavily he quickly scanned the pub for his father and brother. Seeing them at a table in a corner he made his way over to them.

"Nice of you to join us," remarked Tobias, sarcastically, taking a sip of his beer.

"I lost track of time, I apologize," said Severus sitting down heavily at the table.

"What happened to you?" asked Harry as he finished off his lunch, noticing Severus's sweaty cloths and heavy breathing that was just beginning to slow.

"There's a new book store moving into town and I accidentally ran into the proprietor, so I decided to help her unload her books and lost track of time."

"I see," said Tobias, with a raised eyebrow.

Severus raised his eyebrow in return. Then the waiter came over to take Severus's order. Severus merely asked for water that he quickly finished once it arrived then they left the pub.

Once home Harry put all his cloths away before finding his dad in the living room as he had been instructed. Severus was there as well still wearing the sweat covered shirt.

Tobias had explained to Harry that part of being grounded was doing extra chores some of which he was going to do that evening before dinner. "Well, Harry, this evening you get to clean the outside of the storage shed."

"Why does the outside need to be cleaned, it'll just get dirty again?" asked Harry not really complaining just curious.

"Because you're grounded and you need meaningless chores to do."

"Oh," said Harry unable to keep the slight scowl off his face.

"Severus, is going to help you a bit this afternoon, but you are to do most of the work. Understand?"

"Yes, sir,"

Tobias gestured to the door, "Well then I suggest you get started. Its four thirty now and dinner is in two and a half hours."

Severus led Harry outside to the shed. The shed was actually fairly large, it was more like a garage then a shed. Inside Severus led Harry to a large bottle of cleaning liquid and a smaller, strange looking bottle. The strange looking bottle was about the size of your average squirt bottle but the top had two sides. One side appeared to be able to screw into something while the other resembled a high-powered water hose nozzle. Severus instructed Harry to pour the cleaner into this bottle, until it was half-full, and to bring both with him back outside being sure to close the door behind them.

Outside, Severus showed Harry were the water hose was and how to connect it to the, now partially filled, bottle of cleaning liquid. That done Severus demonstrated how to use the device to clean the outside walls. Severus then let Harry take over and merely supervised.

After a few minutes Harry ventured to begin a conversation, "So was she pretty?"

"Excuse me?" asked Severus raising an eyebrow.

"The bookstore lady that you helped. Was she pretty?" repeated Harry turning a bit to look at Severus and consequently missing the building and watering the grass.

"Watch what you're doing," Severus snapped gesturing towards the building and Harry turned back around.

"Well, was she?" Harry was clearly determined not to let this drop.

"That's hardly any of your concern, boy."

"She must have been," said Harry conclusively, "otherwise you wouldn't have helped her for so long and missed lunch."

"Suit yourself," Severus shrugged, determined not to get into this conversation.

After about twenty minutes Harry finished one side of the shed.

"I trust you no longer need my supervision?" asked Severus raising an eyebrow, but not waiting long enough for an answer. "therefore, I'll be leaving you to finish your task." With that Severus walked away heading towards the house.

Inside the kitchen Severus found his dad going over some papers. Getting a drink out of the fridge he sat down at the table across from Tobias.

"Harry, cleaning the shed?" asked Tobias looking up from the papers.

"Yes, sir," said Severus.

"I want the Dursley's brought up on child abuse charges," Tobias said with conviction.

"I'll talk to Dumbledore about it. There might be a problem with the ministry. If custody is taken away from the Dursley's the ministry will try to get custody of him. Dumbledore doesn't believe that they'll let the boy savior live with a muggle if they can help it. The only reason they had to with the Dursleys is the blood wards, but since it was Lily Potter's blood it doesn't really affect him staying with you. Dumbledore tried to use the wards this summer, but without a blood relative of Lily's the protections that she gave him are failing."

"There must be a way, Severus."

"I can bring it up at the next order meeting, but I can't make any promises."

"Then I'm coming with you." Tobias sat back in his chair crossing his arms over his chest.

"Excuse, me?" asked Severus with disbelief as he looked at his father.

"I believe you heard correctly," Tobias didn't change his tone which would have made any Hogwarts student, who had sat in a potions class with the infamous Professor Snape, shudder.

"Dad," began Severus, shaking his head, "you can't the..."

"At least, part of the meeting will be concerning Harry, correct?"

"Yes, sir, but..."

"As his father, I deserve to know what's going on concerning him. I will not sit back and let a bunch of people, most of which I haven't even met, make decisions regarding my son. I will be at that order meeting Severus or, as his father, I can and will pull that boy out of Hogwarts so fast Dumbledore's head will spin."

Severus closed his mouth once he realized it was hanging open. He knew his father was serious. Sighing deeply and leaning back in his chair he responded, "yes, sir."