Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi, folks! This chapter is slightly different and not as crammed full of cute and cuddly as the rest. The secret is out and someone's not happy. This one is to answer some questions I had gotten about when dear old Tom would show up. It is my attempt at a bit of evil, which admittedly isn't that good. I just can't seem to do dark and evil well. Oh well, I'll leave that to others. At any rate, I hope everyone enjoys the latest chapter.
Chapter 11 The Darkest Day of the Year

The pain was like a branding iron pressed to him, searing through not only flesh but bone as well. Grimacing, the dark eyes turned toward the babbling old man in the room. He had been in the Headmaster's office discussing plans for the upcoming term and the OWL's which were rapidly approaching when suddenly the thoughts were driven from his mind.

"Severus? A call?" Dumbledore had seen that look on the younger wizard's face too many times before.

The dark head gave a curt nod and Snape ground out, "Apparently we are not the only ones who wish to gather for the holidays."

"He will allow you some leeway as always."

"Yes, but. . ." the younger man stopped.

"But?" the Headmaster questioned, having a feeling he knew what was on Snape's mind.

"Harry." The dark gaze never wavered as the Potions Master locked eyes with Dumbledore. The initial pain was waning somewhat and his mind was now focusing on other things, things that were more important to him than he cared to admit. "He's with Minerva for now."

"I will take care of him," Albus promised.

Snape nodded. "The potion is ready for tomorrow. It is on the third shelf on the left in my lab, separated from the others and labeled."

Dumbledore tried to be reassuring. "And you will be here to give it to him, though if you didn't make it with a good taste, you might have a fight on your hands."

"There is no guarantee, Albus. I want to make sure you know where to find it if the need arises." The voice was matter-of-fact and Severus pushed the thoughts of him not returning this time to the back of his mind. It was always a possibility, but this time was different. He could not leave like this, not thinking of Harry. Not being concerned. The Dark Lord would not be able to detect it, but Snape would know, would have to fight it back again and again. No, he had to clear his mind and focus on nothing but being the spy he had been for years. The one with no ties and no heart. Still . . .

"I will tell him that he will spend the night with you tonight," Snape rose from the chair in front of the Headmaster's desk.

Nodding, Dumbledore watched the younger man head to the door. "I will be waiting for you, my boy."

ooooooooooooooo

Harry looked up as Snape entered the room. Sliding off the couch beside Minerva, the toddler hurried over, holding up his arms. "Aunt Min and I played games, 'Nape. After walk." The three year old was about to launch into the details of the walk, but stopped when he noticed that Snape was not paying full attention to him even though the Potions Master had picked him up. Following the man's gaze, Harry wondered why Snape and Professor McGonagall were looking at each other so serious and why the witch was frowning. He had been good, so she shouldn't be upset with anything.

Just to be on the safe side, Harry stated, "I good, 'Nape."

Snape pulled his attention away from his colleague who had read the all too familiar look in his face. Glancing down at Harry, he nodded. "I am glad to hear that. And you will have to tell me all about your afternoon. But first I need to talk to you in our quarters. Tell Professor McGonagall good-bye for now."

"Bye, Aunt Min," Harry obeyed obligingly, giving Minerva a smile and blowing her a kiss.

"Good-bye, Harry. I will see you tomorrow," McGonagall returned. And then added firmly. "I will see both of you tomorrow."

With a nod and the thought that he certainly hoped so, Severus carried his little charge from the Head of Gryffindor's chambers back to the dungeons.

ooooooooooooooo

Settling in his chair, Snape placed Harry on his lap and looked down at the little boy. "So you had fun with Minerva?"

"Yes, sir!" Harry declared. Even though it was cold, the little boy had been well bundled up and the two had taken a walk around the grounds, laughingly tossing a few snowballs at each other, but enjoying the sunny winter afternoon. "Need more snow, 'Nape. Aunt Min said it would be more soon."

Snape listened with a half smile. There was no need to ask why more snow was needed. Practically everyone in the castle had been informed that Harry had asked Father Christmas for a sled and was looking forward to finding one under the tree on Christmas morning. "Perhaps Father Christmas will bring more snow to go with your sled," he commented and was rewarded with a huge smile and eager nod.

"I'm glad you had a good time, but now, as I said earlier, we need to talk. I am going to have to go away for a bit and I need you to stay with the headmaster. Until I come back." Severus had no idea why he added that last knowing as he did the risks involved every time he received a summons from the Dark Lord. But he found it impossible not to say it as the green eyes looked up at him.

"How long?" Harry questioned.

"For tonight at least," Snape replied and then continued, "but you may take some of your favorite toys and it will be like an adventure."

Harry wasn't so sure about this, but Snape seemed to think it would be fun so he nodded slowly. "'Kay, 'Nape." In all honesty the little boy had enjoyed the time with McGonagall but looked forward to being back with Snape and reading and cuddling with him. Apparently that wasn't going to happen tonight though. "Where you go, 'Nape?"

Now how was he supposed to answer that one? Snape thought. It wasn't as if he could say, oh I am off to answer to your mortal enemy and the worse wizard of our age who thinks I work for him. Of course I could be tortured or even killed, but don't worry. The Potions Master nearly snorted. The full truth was most definitely out of the question so he sought an easier answer, one that a toddler would understand and accept.

"It is some business that I need to see to. Some one I know wants my help."

"Oh," Harry answered with a little frown. "You go help, but come home soon."

Snape swallowed slightly at the little order and his arms tightened around the child. "I will, Harry." He allowed himself another few minutes of holding the little boy, feeling the small, warm body pressed against his chest, before speaking again. "Come along now. Let's get your things ready and get you to the Headmaster."

oooooooooooooo

Harry sat bolt upright in the bed and looked around the shadowed room, eyes wide. He couldn't really remember all of his dream, just that it had scared him badly and he wanted to be held. But this wasn't his room. Slowly the toddler recalled the events of the afternoon and evening and the tears formed.

Climbing from the bed, Harry crept to the closed door and opened it. Snape always left the little boy's door partially open in case Harry needed him. And at the moment Harry did need him. But where was the man? What if he was back already? Not stopping to think or even fully realize that if that was the case Snape would have come to get the child, Harry decided that he would go to the familiar rooms that he shared with Snape in the hopes of finding the Potions Master.

As he crossed the main room toward the door, a chuckling sort of voice sounded. "And where might you be going, little one?"

Harry turned to see Dumbledore sitting in a large armchair, looking at him. "I go home," the little boy stated.

The Headmaster smiled. "Not yet, Harry." He rose and went to gather the little boy in his arms.

Finding himself picked up and denied his wish, Harry's hold on his emotions broke. Tears formed and then the toddler began to sob as all the scariness of the dream and the uncertainty of the entire night rushed in on him. He needed, wanted, craved the familiar things to he was so used to now. He didn't want to be here in strange surroundings even if he was fond of the old wizard.

"Want MY bed," the child wailed and then louder and more desperately, "Want MY 'Nape!!"

Dumbledore carried Harry back to the chair and held him. "There now," he attempted to soothe. "He will be back. You are staying with me tonight, remember?"

"Not want to!" Harry protested as he cried.

"And why is that? Don't you like me anymore?"

"No!" the little boy blurted out, though his actions belied the word. Seeking comfort and reassurance of some sort, even if it wasn't from the man who was his first choice, Harry curled close to Dumbledore and clung to him, crying hard.

The headmaster gently rocked the child, stroking his hair and letting him cry for a few minutes before again trying to talk to Harry. "Did you have a bad dream, little one?" The old wizard could think of no other reason for the little boy to be this upset.

The dark head nodded and Harry sniffled. "Scary, scary bad dream!" he declared.

"Ah, would you like to tell me about it?"

This time Harry shook his head and hid his face, mumbling something against Dumbledore's chest.

The blue eyes looked down at Harry. "I didn't quite hear that, Harry. Can you look up and say it again, please?"

"He'll get me," the toddler whispered, clinging to the Headmaster.

"Who, child?"

"Him. Bad man in dream. Scary, ugly bad man." Harry shuddered.

A chill ran through Dumbledore and he pushed it aside. Surely not. It was a simple child's nightmare. Still. . . Gently smoothing a hand through the dark hair, he spoke softly, "Can you tell me what he looked like, Harry? Then we will both know and I will never let him hurt you."

"Scary, ugly," the child repeated. "Glowy eyes and he hissed at me."

Oh Merlin, no. The Headmaster though and held the little boy close.

Harry went on. "I not find 'Nape. And the bad man laughed at me and hissed more. And now. . .I want my 'Nape, Dum'dore! Please, please get 'my 'Nape. I be good. Really really good!"

The sobs began again and Dumbledore forced back a sigh as he held and soothed the little boy with rocking and whispered words. "He will be back soon, little one. He will come to you. Sshh now. You are safe."

Eventually Harry cried himself back to sleep. Dumbledore continued to hold the boy, never thinking of leaving him in bed alone again this night.

ooooooooooooooo

"You knew!" The cold voice resounded through the chamber so that all assembled heard it, yet it was addressed to the figure on the floor. The figure attempting to fight the agony of the Cruciatus curse.

"How many weeks has it been now?" the speaker continued, leaving the throne on the dais to walk around the man. "And yet you did nothing to inform me! Not a word! Perhaps," he mused thoughtfully as he seized the dark hair and pulled the head upward, "perhaps I should allow you to suffer the same number of weeks that you left me uninformed. I think it a fair and just punishment, don't you, Severus?"

The pale face was even paler than usual and Snape's teeth were clenched in an effort to fight against the pain. Drops of sweat stood out on his forehead and his hands were clenched into fists. He forced out an answer, one that would please the hate filled creature holding him. "As you wish. . .my lord."

With a sneer, Voldermort released his hold, allowing Snape's head to drop back to his chest. The Dark Lord then increased the intensity of the curse and watched the Potions Master lose the fight with not moving.

Snape could no longer hold out and against his wishes his body began to writhe on the floor of the Dark Lord's throne room. He could only hope that he would be let free before he gave voice to his pain. He hated the times that he yelled aloud.

Voldermort stood over his follower a few more moments before speaking again. "You knew better, Severus. You knew you would be punished when I found out. But as always you have left yourself a way to escape the worst punishment, my sneaky snake. You know that I still need the information that only you can give me."

Returning to his throne, the Dark Lord took a seat and then with a sigh that sounded bored and resigned, he waved his hand and ended the curse. "Stand and report to me, Severus," he ordered. "And do not try my patience further."

Shaking all over from the effects of the curse, Snape got to his feet. After a long moment to regain some control, he began to speak, relating to Voldermort the accident that had deaged Harry and the fact that Snape had been put in charge of the boy, who would be reaged gradually until he was again the teen the Dark Lord had last encountered.

"You will not need to be concerned about brewing the correct potions for him, Severus," Volermort pronounced. "As I intend to kill him now that I know of his weakness. It will be my Christmas present to myself!" He gave a horrible laugh. "The defeat of the Boy-Who-Lived! It is within my grasp at last!"

"Killing the boy now would not be that great of an accomplishment, my lord," Snape commented. "After all, it takes no great skill to do away with a mere defenseless child." And one who you already failed to destroy at any even younger age in the past, Severus added to himself. "It would prove nothing and look. . ." he gazed directly at the Dark Lord, "cowardly."

"Cowardly?? You dare to think. . .to SPEAK such a thing!" The cold red eyes locked on Snape and an unspoken curse brought the Potions Master to his knees once more in pain. "Do I seem weak to you, my dear Severus?"

"No, my lord," Snape ground out from between clenched teeth. The pain was not as intense as the curse he had just endured, yet it was certainly enough to get his attention. "I meant no disrespect. And of course I would never see you that way. But there are some. . ."

Voldermort broke off the curse and drummed his fingers on the arm of his throne. "Some are easily disposed of if need be," he stated almost casually.

"True, but what of their words? It is harder to kill words and thoughts, my lord," Snape rose again, not allowing any to see the effort it took. Smoothing his robes, he continued, "Once thoughts, treacherous and traitorous thoughts, are stirred, how will you know whom you can trust? Those who serve you could well be thinking of you as a coward to be overthrown if you kill the boy now."

A low hiss came from the evil wizard and he looked around at his most trusted followers.

"He speaks treason, my lord!" Bellatrix raged. "HE is the one who would betray you. Why does he want Potter to live?? Kill them both!!"

"Peace, my jealous Bella," the Dark Lord chuckled, beckoning the woman nearer. When she had complied and knelt beside him, Voldermort ran his fingers through her hair, tangling them in the tresses and then suddenly yanking the witch's head back. "Do not falsely accuse Severus of betrayal again, my dear," he declared, staring hard at the woman. "It displeases me very greatly. I will not have my children bickering. Not without harsh punishment."

Bellatrix gasped as her head was roughly pulled back and she swallowed at the threatening words and tone. "I. . .I beg pardon, my lord. Please, please forgive me and allow me to make amends."

"Later," Voldermort responded. Then releasing her with a sharp cuff and the order to remain beside him, he turned his attention back to Snape.

"As for your comments, Severus, I would know if any were unfaithful." The smile was anything but pleasant. "I have ways and you forget that every mind is open to me, even yours, my mysterious one."

Thanking Merlin that that was not entirely true, Snap bowed his head slightly in a show of humbleness. "Yes, my lord, you are right."

"Of course I am," Voldermort laughed. "Now come here."

Snape moved forward as bidden, wondering what the older wizard had in store for him this time.

The sneer on the Dark Lord's face revealed his enjoyment with such things. Reaching out to pat the pale cheek of the Potions Master as Snape knelt beside the throne, he questioned, "Worried, my pet? After you saw Bella's reprimand?"

"No, my lord. I am ready to accept whatever you deem appropriate."

The cold laugh had a hint of real mirth this time. "Ah, my Severus, always the brave one." The hand moved almost too fast to be seen and the sharp crack as it connected with Snape's cheek resounded through the chamber. "Behave yourself and watch your words in the future, dear one."

"Yes, my lord. I regret my misspoken thoughts," the Potions Master stated, ignoring the pain that flared from the vivid handprint on his face.

Nodding, Voldermort leaned back, placing a hand on both Bellatrix's and Severus head and now stroking their hair in a motion that was gentle for him. "Very well. Now tell me what your real plan is, Severus. I know that you must have one, else you would not have so forgotten yourself."

He did indeed have a plan, Severus thought to himself. Not that he would share the real one with the Dark Lord of course, but the wily wizard had twined enough ideas together to be able to have a plan that he thought Voldermort would agree to. It was also one which would leave Snape free to pursue the real one. Now to act properly humble and contrite and hook the evil wizard.

The dark eyes were lowered and Snape spoke quietly, "I can hide nothing from you, oh my master." The voice sounded more like a chastised slave boy than a wizard who was secretly plotting this man's downfall.

"Of course you can't, my pet," the Dark Lord smirked. "Now speak."

"Yes, my lord," Snape began to obediently comply. "I went about presenting my plan in the wrong way before and inadvertently disrespected my lord." He gave a sad sigh. "But I do believe there is a better way of handling things, if my lord will be so gracious as to consider it. Rather than kill the brat now, leave him with me. I will continue to care for him. He will trust me completely. Then, when he is old enough to be truly worthy of my lord's attention and great show of power, I will deliver him to my lord. The boy will be completely betrayed and you will be able to witness his anguish and heartbreak at that and then. . .kill him."

Severus knew he planned just the opposite, but he also knew that seeing great suffering never failed to excite the Dark Lord, and betrayal was one of the worse.

The laughter rang about the room as Voldermort stroked and petted the dark head. "Oh, my dearest Severus, once again you prove yourself to me. It is brilliant! Together you and I will bring much pain to Potter! I am very pleased, my pet, VERY pleased!"

Giving a small and humble smile at the attentions and praise of his lord, Snape forced himself to lean against the loathsome man's knee and pushed his head into the caress further. "Oh, my lord, I am so glad that you like my paltry idea."

Again Voldermort chuckled and lightly smoothed his hand over the imprint from the slap he had given the younger wizard earlier. "Now, now, my Severus. Groveling does not become you overmuch. Mind yourself."

"Yes, my lord." Snape eased away, thankful to break off at least some contact.

"I release you now, Severus. You may return and take up your," he gave a half snort, "your child care duties. I will call you should I want you."

Standing, the Potions Master nodded. "Of course, my lord. I hear and obey." As Voldermort nodded and made a dismissive gesture, Snape gratefully took his leave.

oooooooooo

Oh Merlin, he ached! Snape made his weary way back from the apparation point closest to Hogwarts. Once inside the castle, he paused to lean heavily against the banister of the main staircase, his dark eyes going upward. Then he gave his head a shake. No, he couldn't go just yet. He had to clean up first and get some restoring healing potions down before he would allow Harry to see him. Turning toward the dungeons, the Potions Master pushed aside the absurd urge to go gather that little boy in his arms and hold him. What was he turning into?!

Discarding his robe as soon as he entered his quarters, Severus nearly jumped out of his skin at the sight of someone in one of the chairs.

"Damn it, Minerva! What are you doing here?"

The witch rose and went to him. "I wanted to make sure that you were alright. I told you that I would check on you."

"I'm fine," Snape scowled.

"So I see." Minerva pursed her lips at the sight of the haggard face, not missing the pain that still lingered. "How long this time?" she questioned knowingly.

"Not nearly as long as it could have been." Snape gave a soft snort. "He was not particularly thrilled with my little secret."

"Any length of time is too long," Minerva retorted, knowing that she would never get a straight answer from the proud young wizard and would, as usual, simply have to take matters into her own hands. "Come on. You need those potions you are so famous for preparing."

With a hand on his arm, the older witch guided Snape firmly down the hall to his private lab. "Now get in there and take what you need. I'll see to readying a bath and your bed."

Severus went along with only a slight show of protest. They both well knew that Minerva McGonagall was one of the only two women who would have dared to treat Severus Snape in such a manner. Poppy Pomfrey was the other. As he opened the door to the lab, Snape paused and looked at Minerva, uttering one word, "Harry."

"Harry will be just fine for another few hours. You need some rest before you deal with an active toddler again," the witch stated. "Now," she motioned toward the potion lined room with a look that was not to be argued with.

"Alright, alright. But only a couple of hours at most," Severus complied with orders.

Satisfied, Minerva made her way to the bathroom and turned on the water, allowing it to fill the tub while she went to Severus' room and turned back the bed with the air of someone who had performed similar tasks before. Once everything was ready, she gave a decisive nod and went to find the young wizard.

Snape dutifully swallowed the potions that he knew would soon have him feeling more normal and help counteract he effects of the Cruciatus curse. He had just set the last empty vial aside to be washed and refilled later when he felt rather than heard the presence behind him.

"Yes ma'am, I took all my nasty medicine," he quipped as he turned to face McGonagall.

"Good. I would hate to have to call Poppy to make sure you got what you needed," she returned. Then ignoring the eye roll that greeted those words, Minerva continued. "Your bath is ready and I am going to leave you to relax and rest now."

"I hope so as I do not require back scrubs and tucking in like some I could name," the Potions Master commented dryly.

Minerva gave him a look and then chuckled. "It never ceases to amaze me that those potions work so rapidly. At least I assume that is the case since you are behaving like this again already."

Snape snorted. "Good-bye, Minerva."

Laughing, the witch shook her head. "Good-bye, Severus. I will see you later in the dining hall. For dinner at least." The tone was clear it was an expectation, not merely a request.

Holding back a groan, the Potions Master nodded. "Yes. And," he added, "thank you."

"Of course, Severus." McGonagall smiled and headed out the door to Snape's quarters, leaving the man alone.

ooooooooooooo

Three hours later a knock sounded on the door leading to the Headmaster's private rooms. At the call to come in, Snape did just that.

And was immediately attacked.

"'NAPE!!!!!"

Merlin, how could one small child yell that loud, the man wondered. But the shriek did nothing to deter the Potions master from scooping Harry into his arms and holding him close.

Dumbledore watched the reunion with a smile. Had anyone not witnessed it with their own eyes they would never have believed the tale. Severus Snape, stern, cold hearted - if indeed he had a heart many would say - brilliant Potions Master, hater of children in general and of one Harry James Potter in particular, now stood holding said little boy tightly. The two dark heads were close as Severus nuzzled the soft locks of his ward, reassuring himself that the child was alright and delighting in the fresh smell that told him Harry had had a bath earlier. Harry, for his part, held on with a death grip around Snape's neck as if he never planned to release the man again, his face pressed against the black robes relishing the feel and the scent of them, the mix of all sorts of potion ingredients that to the little boy meant his 'Nape.

"You come back," Harry stated the obvious.

"I said I would. And I always keep my word," Snape replied.

Harry smiled up at the man and nodded. "I missed you. Wanted my 'Nape."

Snape swallowed, his voice a bit husky as he answered. "I missed you as well, little wizardling." Deciding that they had had enough mush, especially given there was an audience who was standing there grinning like an insane fool, the Potions Master shifted Harry slightly and looked over at Dumbledore.

"So everyone survived," Snape commented, the words carrying great meaning.

"We did indeed," the Headmaster nodded.

"We go home now?" Harry questioned.

"Tired of the old man, hmm?" Severus smirked.

Harry thought about that one a moment before answering with childish candor. "Yes."

Dumbledore laughed. "Well, I think the operative word here may be tired. There is a reason children are for the young. And," he gave Snape a serious look, "we had a long night."

Snape arched an eyebrow. "And why is that? Did someone not want to go to bed on time?" He glanced down at his armful of little boy.

"No, I good," Harry stated indigently.

"No, no, he was indeed good, Severus." Dumbledore assured Snape. "It was a nightmare. About a scary man."

The meaningful look that the Headmaster sent him caused the dark eyes to widen. "You're sure?"

The white head nodded. "Harry told me about what he looked like."

Inadvertently, Snape's arms tightened around Harry and he spoke quietly, "Well he will not hurt you, Harry. That I promise."

Harry looked up at Snape, eyes full of trust, and hugged him tight. "'Kay, 'Nape. And you keeps word."

"Yes, I do," the Potions Master agreed seriously. "Yes, I do."

To be continued...