Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 2 - The Teacher and the Toddler
 

"Now, Harry, look at the pretty wings. See, just like a butterfly," Madame Pomfrey spoke gently as she moved closer to the little boy with the small butterfly needle. The mediwitch got no pleasure out of tests of this sort, but they had to be done.

It had been two days now since Harry Potter had been turned into a three year old. Poppy had done test after test on the child and thus far determined that Harry remembered nothing of his teenage form or indeed any of his past it would seem. The little boy was smart for his age however and this was both good and bad, as now evidenced by the wary look she was getting.

"Bu'fly?" Harry questioned hesitantly.

The mediwitch nodded. "That's right, Harry. Like a butterfly. And this will only sting for a moment."

It was the wrong thing to say. Harry drew back on the bed. "No, bad buggie! Bu'fly no 'ting!" he declared and looked at the object closer. Seeing the glint of silver, the toddler began to cry and yell. "No!! No needle!!!"

Snape heard the screeching child as he neared the doors. Entering the infirmary, he snapped, "Potter, what are you howling about this time?"

Madame Pomfrey and Harry both looked over at the Potions Master and Harry's cries reached a new level. This man had been to see him before and he wasn't nice like Poppy lady usually was. Harry was certain that the dark man. . .the child strained to remember the long name Poppy called him. . .Sev-Us, that was it; he was certain Sev-Us would scold him again and then help Poppy stick him with the dreaded needle.

Looking at Pomfrey, Snape quirked an eyebrow, noting what she had in her hand. "More blood tests?" he inquired. "I thought you did some the day before yesterday."

"I did," the mediwitch confirmed, "but they were not conclusive. I'm afraid I need more than the few drops I can get just by sticking his finger."

Frowning at the still crying little boy, Snape stepped closer. "Quiet down, Potter. This has to be done. Give Madame Pomfrey your arm."

"NOOOO!!!" the toddler wailed in true terror now, wrapping his arms around himself. Why did the lady need his arm? the child wondered. Before she had poked his finger with a needle and made it bleed and that hurt enough!

"Honestly, Professor Snape," Poppy scolded as she laid aside the needle for the moment. "You are not helping the situation at all!" She reached for Harry. "Come here, little one."

Harry shook his head frantically and tried to scramble further away, only to find himself picked up as he teetered precariously on the edge of the bed.

"Trying to add more injuries by falling off on the floor, Mr. Potter?" Snape asked dryly.

For a long moment Harry struggled and fought against his new captor, but then with a desperate little sob, the toddler flung his arms around Snape's neck, clinging tight and babbling. "No needle! Pwease Sev-Us. No needle!! No 'tick!!"

Eyes widening at the new development, Snape sank into the chair near the bed, with the boy still holding tightly to him. "Potter, Madame Pomfrey needs to do this test. The sooner you stop acting like a baby and get it over with, the better."

"I not baby," Harry sniffled indignantly. "I big boy."

"Then prove it," Snape countered.

Harry looked up with teary eyes and a pout. He just really didn't like this man! But at the same time, something inside him wanted to prove that he WAS a big boy just to show Snape. Biting his lip, Harry hesitantly questioned, "I stay here?"

Catching a nod and hopeful look from Poppy, Severus sighed and nodded. "Alright, you can sit on my lap for the test. But only if you stop all the yelling and crying."

"'Kay," Harry agreed. He released his hold around Snape's neck and rubbed away his tears with small hands. As the mediwitch approached again, a shiver went through the little body, but he stoutly held out the tiny arm and simply pressed back closer to Snape's chest.

Snape put an arm around the child, to keep him still of course, the Potions Master reasoned. Together they watched as Madame Pomfrey disinfected the little boy's arm and then quietly warned Harry that it would be a little sting. Other than biting his lip as the needle was put in, Harry made no sound through the process.

Once it was over, Madame Pomfrey touched the spot gently with her wand and Harry felt a warm sensation, as if his arm had been in a sunbeam. Then it was gone and the place didn't hurt at all. Looking up at Snape, the little boy said decisively, "See! I big boy."

"Yes, you'll do, Potter." Awkwardly the man patted the little head.

"You were a big boy, Harry," Poppy complimented him. "And now I think such a good patient deserves a treat. Come with me and let's get you a cookie and some juice."

Snape rolled his eyes. For the love of Merlin! The brat pitches a fit and has to be sorted out. . .by him of course. . . and now the woman is going to reward him?? "Once you have Mr. Potter taken care of, I need to speak with you, Madame Pomfrey," Snape stated.

"Of course, Professor Snape. This will only take a minute." The mediwitch plucked Harry from the Potions Master's lap and carried him over to the small table at one end of the hospital wing.

After getting her little patient established with his snack, Madame Pomfrey beckoned to Snape and the two entered her office, leaving the door open so that they could keep an eye on Harry, but Snape also cast a silencing spell around them so that they could talk freely.

"Are there any new developments?" the Potions Master questioned. At the negative shake of the mediwitch's head, he sighed. "I've been over and over the equations for everything, Poppy. I'm at a lost to explain why this happened. By all rights, that brat should be fifteen now. Or at the very least, he should have retained his memories. Are you certain he has none?"

"Severus, we went over this yesterday," Madame Pomfrey sighed. "I am positive. He knows his name and seems to know basic things in the sense that he has the mental capacity of a very intelligent three year old. All of his tests. . .IQ, motor skills, the standard battery of hearing, reflexes, all bodily functions. . .are all normal or a little above average. Well other than his sight. He will still need glasses. And he seems to be doing better with the low iron count and other slight vitamin deficiency after the nutrient potions. There seems to be nothing wrong with him physically."

"And he did tell me yesterday that his Mummy and Daddy were gone away. But he doesn't remember where he lived after they 'left.' It's as though all of his memories are erased." The witch looked at the younger wizard. "I can only conclude that the stress on his body from all the age changes also effected the part of his brain that housed his memories."

"I could always try occlumency," Snape suggested.

"No you couldn't!" Poppy flared up at his statement. "The very idea! After all that child has gone through!"

"It would be the easiest way to determine if he still has his memories and is somehow repress. . ." Snape got no further.

"I said no, Severus Snape! You will do no such thing! If his memories return on their own, well and good. But don't you go poking into the little boy's mind. He is three years old and there is no telling what sort of harm it might cause."

Resisting the urge to roll his eyes, the Potions Master nodded. "Very well. We will forget the matter of his apparent memory lose for now. There still is no explanation for the fact that he should be a teenager, not a toddler."

"Actually, there might be," the mediwitch said thoughtfully.

Snape tilted his head, his posture urging Pomfrey to continue.

"The boys used two different creams to begin with. Then we added the stabilizer. And then the restorative draught. It could very well be that Harry's body was simply overloaded. Too many ingredients, too fast. It couldn't compensate. Therefore. . ."

"Therefore the potion that appeared correct in measurement might have actually been too strong in dosage, thus regressing him back to a toddler rather than only to a teen," Snape finished with a nod of understanding. "Why the bloody hell didn't I think of that?" he muttered.

"Because you were stressed too, Severus," Poppy responded. "Don't blame yourself. The rest of us don't."

Snape gave a soft snort. Obviously the kind hearted witch hadn't seen the same looks from Dumbledore that Snape had. While not truly accusatory, they none the less let the younger wizard know that the Headmaster had expected better of him.

"The important thing for now is to continue to take care of Harry and wait until his body can stand another try of an age enhancer," Madame Pomfrey stood up as her eye caught sight of a dark head peeping round the doorframe.

Glancing over, Severus nodded. "I will stay with him tonight to give you a break," he decided before removing the silencing charm.

oooooooooo

Harry opened his eyes and looked around the dim room. For a moment he wasn't sure why he had awakened and then the uncomfortable pressure on his bladder made its presence known again. He had wheedled a bit more juice from Poppy than usual that evening but then she hadn't taken to the bathroom before tucking him in either. Harry frowned at that. No wait, Poppy wasn't the one that put him to bed. It was. . .the little boy glanced over at the dark form in the chair.

Easing to a sitting position, Harry swung his feet over the edge of the bed and made ready to jump. After all, he didn't really think that Sev-Us would carry him like Poppy did.

"And what do you think you're doing now, Potter?" The voice sounded and Harry nearly toppled off the bed regardless.

"Bafroom," he announced.

Sighing, Snape stood up. "If I help you down, can you at least go by yourself?"

"Yes! I big!" Harry declared indignantly.

"So you keep saying," Snape smirked as he lifted the child down from the bed. "Hurry up. You should be sleeping."

Harry trotted a few steps and then turned to look back. "You come, Sev-Us?"

"Why would I be coming? I have no need of the bathroom," the Potions Master stated. "And stop calling me that. If you can't pronounce my first name correctly, then use my last name."

Biting his lip at the scolding and the fact that he was supposed to go alone, Harry tried to explain. "Bafroom dark."

Snape rolled his eyes. "So you're afraid of the dark?" Before Harry could dispute it or tell him again that he was a big boy, Snape strolled over and scooped the child up. "Fine, I'll go. Then you will be back in bed that much sooner."

The bathroom that adjoined the hospital wing was indeed darker than the infirmary itself, with enough shadows to frighten an imaginative toddler. Once Harry had taken care of business, he pulled up his pajama pants and walked back over to Snape. On instinct the tired child lifted his arms, wordlessly asking to be picked up.

"Oh no," Snape shook his head and watched as the little chin quivered. Sighing, he clarified. "No crying, Potter. I simply meant I was not carrying you until you wash your hands."

Guiding the little boy to the sink, Snape helped Harry clean up and then once the small hands were dry, he lifted the child into his arms and strolled back to Harry's bed. Laying the sleepy little boy down once more, Snape pulled the covers over the small form. "Now go to sleep."

"'Kay," Harry agreed, little eyes blinking. "Night, 'Nape." Within moments the boy was asleep.

'Nape?? Severus shook his head as he looked at the child. "You are completely hopeless, Potter," he commented quietly as he returned to his chair. In the dim light the small smile on the Potion Master's face wouldn't have been noticed.

oooooooooo

When Harry awoke again, it was to the morning sun filtering through the windows. He rubbed his eyes and looked over at the chair. "'Nape?' he called tentatively to the man. And then a bit louder, "'Nape."

"What is it, Potter?" Snape asked as he cracked one eye.

"It morning," the child announced brightly.

"Oh goody," the Potions Master responded.

The sarcasm was lost on the toddler and he nodded his head and tossed back the covers. "Come on. We dress and eat now," he instructed.

Snape opened both eyes and stretched. Looking at the little boy on the bed he decided Potter definitely looked too happy and wide awake for Snape's tastes. However, he stood and gathered an outfit that had been washed by the house elves and returned to the nightstand beside the bed.

Standing up on the bed, Harry helped all he could in the process of getting dressed. Once he was ready, the little boy launched himself at Snape. Caught a bit off guard, Snape gave a small grunt which made Harry giggle.

Poppy walked into the hospital wing to see the little boy in Snape's arms and she bit back a smile. "Good morning, you two. Are you ready to eat?"

"Hi, Poppy!" Harry waved cheerfully at the mediwitch. "Yes, yes, be'fust!"

Snape set Harry down and was surprised to find instead of running to the table set up for them, Harry took the man's hand and pulled Snape along with him to eat.

Deciding he might as well eat here since there was plenty of food, Snape helped himself to some toast and a cup of tea, his standard morning fare.

Looking up from his own plate of eggs and toast with jam, Harry advised, "Eggies is good, 'Nape."

"No, thank you, Potter. I am fine," Severus replied.

Harry shrugged but let it go and finished his own breakfast. Poppy as always produced a wet cloth and wiped the child's hands and face when he was done. Glancing at the Potions Master, Harry asked, "You stay today, 'Nape?"

"No, Potter, I have classes to teach. I will be back tonight." And with no further comment, Snape left the hospital wing, unmindful of a frowning little boy.

oooooooooo

A whimper disturbed the quiet of the infirmary and Snape rose from his seat to approach the bed. Before he could even make it the few steps however, a shrill little scream resounded in the large room.

Harry Potter was having a nightmare and the little boy was kicking out at the covers on the bed wildly. The toddler was frantic. Snape reached to pat the boy's back and nearly got kicked in the stomach for his troubles.

"Wake up, Potter. It's alright," Snape tried to reassure. "It's just a nightmare."

The voice seemed to spark something and Harry's yells turned back to whimpers and after a moment or two, the toddler blinked his eyes open. Gazing tearfully up at the man, Harry held up his arms. "'Nape!!"

If anyone had asked him to explain his reaction later, Severus Snape could not have done it. But in the darkened infirmary, with no one else around, he lifted the now crying child into his arms. "Alright now. It's over. You can stop crying now." Awkwardly, the Potions Master patted the small back while Harry held tight and buried his face in Snape's chest.

Walking to the window and back three or four times, Snape waited for Harry to calm. Then when he deemed the little boy recovered, the dark haired wizard made to lay the boy back on the bed. Only to have a high pitched wail of "Nooo!" nearly split his eardrum and small arms cling tighter.

"Potter, you have to go back to sleep," Snape informed the child.

Harry shook his head frantically and Snape sighed. "Fine. You can sit with me for a little while." Returning to his chair, the Potions Master lowered himself into it, with Harry on his lap. Harry immediately curled up, his head resting on Snape's chest and one hand clutching a handful of the man's robes. Snape continued to pat Harry's back until the green eyes begin to get heavy. Snape had full intentions of returning the brat to his bed as soon as he fell asleep again.

oooooooooo

Three figures stood in the door, each smiling at the picture revealed by the sunbeam. Harry had at some point during his sleep squirmed a bit higher so that his head was now on Snape's shoulder, but the small hand had never released its hold on the black robes. And for all his intentions, Severus had never returned the child to the bed. Instead his head was now leaned over to the side, both dark heads touching, and both man and boy were sound asleep.

"Ladies, I believe we made the right decision," the Headmaster spoke quietly causing Professor McGonagall and Madame Pomfrey to each nod in agreement.