Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 6 - Out and About

"It has been three weeks, Severus!"

"I am aware of that, Minerva."

"You can't keep the child shut away in your rooms forever, Severus. Harry needs to get out more," the witch admonished. "Poppy and I were discussing it yesterday."

Snape rolled his eyes. Nothing good had come of the two women discussing the brat as of yet in the Potions Master's opinion. At least nothing good for him. "I hope it will not be forever that he is in the rooms," he commented. "And Poppy told me that he was doing fine."

"Well, he is mostly. But a child that age needs to run and play more, Severus," Minerva responded. "You should at least start bringing him to the Great Hall for meals."

"Oh yes, that would be wonderful I'm sure. Turn Potter loose with all his Gryffindor friends and he would be gone in a heartbeat. No thank you, Minerva. I prefer the chaos that surrounds the brat to remain in one place as much as is humanly possible."

Professor McGonagall frowned. "Do you call him that to his face?"

"Everyday," Snape retorted.

"Severus!"

"Oh honestly, Minerva," Snape shook his head. "The boy is fine. You would be spoiling him beyond belief and likely giving in to baby talk if you had him."

"Well I certainly wouldn't be calling him a brat!" the witch shot back. "And a little bit of indulgence will not harm him."

Snape rolled his eyes. "If you and Poppy wish to take him for yourselves, by all means, feel free."

"You know that is not possible. We discussed all this at the beginning."

"No, YOU three discussed it. I was merely told how things would be done."

Minerva paused at the slightly bitter note in the younger wizard's tone. "Severus? Is this arrangement really so horrible? I could. . ."

With a sigh, Snape shook his head. "No, Minerva. It's not as bad as I feared it might be. It was simply the way it was done. It was as if I was your student again and had no say in the matter. I will admit that this IS a reasonable idea that Potter stay with me. It just would have been nice to have been consulted before plans were made and my living quarters altered."

Placing a hand on the black robed arm, McGonagall spoke quietly, "I'm sorry, Severus. Albus thought you would be too strongly opposed to be rational about it. In truth, I was concerned about that as well. But you are right. Regardless we should have spoken with you first. You are, after all, an adult now."

Inclining his head slightly, Snape responded, "Thank you, Minerva. And as an adult, not to mention temporary guardian of Potter, I think it will be easier to continue having meals here rather than the Great Hall. At least until the Christmas break. Once most of the students are gone, we can ease Harry into things and the two of us will join the rest of you."

Glad to see that Snape had at least thought about things, McGonagall still couldn't resist adding. "But he needs to play more. Perhaps if you just took him for a walk around the grounds? Or to Hogsmeade? Or a park? An outing of some kind. I'm certain he would enjoy it."

oooooooooo

"Where we going?" Harry asked for the hundredth time as he bounced impatiently in front of Snape.

"Nowhere if you don't hold still," the Potions Master responded. He was in the process of brushing the boy's hair and trying to make it look halfway presentable.

With a sigh, Harry stood very still. "I ready!" he declared.

Finally deciding that the brat's hair would never lay down properly, Snape laid the brush aside. "Yes, I am aware that you are ready." Now the question is, am I? the man thought to himself.

After having allowed Harry a brief walk around school grounds under the watchful eye of Hermione the day before after the conversation with Minerva, Snape had given in to another comment from a meddlesome woman, this time Poppy. She had cornered him in the hospital wing when he went to take her a few potions she had asked for. The mediwitch told him Harry really should have some warmer clothes for winter. The solution of just simply transfiguring the ones he had earned him a glare and Severus had at last conceded defeat to the woman. Therefore he was now about to undertake something the Potions Master had never dreamed of doing. . .going shopping with a toddler.

Holding out his hand, Snape immediately felt a small one slip into his and give a tug as Harry tried to hurry the professor along.

"While we are out you will stay with me at all times," Snape instructed as he led the little boy out of their rooms and down the hall. "There will be no wandering off. You are to hold my hand or stay right beside me. If you do not obey we will come straight back here. Is that clear?"

Harry nodded. "Yes, 'Nape. I 'tay with you."

"Good," the man commented as they made their way to the main entrance hall and out the front doors. Snape allowed Harry to walk until they were within sight of the main gates and then he scooped the child up, striding along a bit quicker now that the short little legs didn't have to keep up.

oooooooooo

Hogsmeade village was huge to Harry and the little boy held on to Snape's robes with one hand while craning his neck as far as it would go to see in every direction. Looking back over the Potions Master's shoulder, Harry spotted a group of witches talking together. The child's eyes widened and he grinned as he tapped Snape on the same shoulder he was peering over.

"'Nape, look. Kitty!" And sure enough one of the witches was holding a Siamese cat in her arms.

Snape turned and looked and nodded. "I see the cat. But the shops we are going to are further down. Would you like to walk now?"

Harry nodded and soon found himself on his feet again, trotting alongside Snape and trying to take everything in. There was plenty to interest the toddler but then he spotted something that made him stop short. "'NAPE!!!"

Candy!! More candy than Harry had ever seen in his life! An entire STORE of nothing but candy! The little face turned up to Snape, green eyes wide and shining with excitement.

"We did not come after candy, Potter," Snape stated and with a firm grip, pulled Harry away from the tempting array.

"But 'Nape! Candy!" Harry protested as he was towed along.

"Yes and I MIGHT allow you one piece after we are done with our other shopping. And only if you behave," the Potions Master responded.

Barely stopping his pout, Harry sighed and looked back longingly before promising, "I be good."

"We will see." Once again the pair started down the street, but they didn't have much further to go before reaching their destination.

To Harry the store that Snape was leading him into was nowhere near as exciting as the candy store. This one only had clothes. And where was the fun in that? Standing beside Snape, Harry heard the man explain that they needed a few outfits for Harry and the little boy wrinkled his nose. He wanted candy, not dumb clothes. But he had promised to be good. Maybe this wouldn't take long. Thankfully, the sales clerk was knowledgeable and friendly and before Harry could get very frustrated a selection had been made.

Snape was rather less than impressed with the clothing available in Gladrags. It tended to be too trendy for his tastes. What the boy needed was plain and simple clothes and proper robes. Those however would have to wait until they went to London. The wizard paused a moment at the thought. Was he seriously thinking of taking Potter on another outing? And to London?? Merlin's beard, why did that even enter his mind??

Turning his attention back to the things laid out for his perusal, the Potions Master selected three pairs of pants, five pair of underpants, five pair of socks and after a bit of discussion, three shirts and two pair of pajamas.

Harry wasn't that picky about most of the clothes but he had found and begged for a black shirt with two dragons on it. One was red and one was green and the pictures had been made to roar at each other every so often. He also loved and absolutely insisted on one pair of the pajamas. They were a midnight blue with tiny silver stars embroidered around the cuffs of both top and bottoms. The other pair had footies and Harry wrinkled his nose at them, but Snape had insisted.

Having paid for the purchases and shrunk them to fit in the pockets of his robes, Snape left the shop, Harry's hand in his own. Going next door to Scrivenshaft's Quill Shop, the Potions Master purchased two quills for himself and one smaller one for Harry.

The little boy was surprised when Snape informed him that he needed to learn to write with something other than a crayon and showed Harry an assortment of My First Quills. Designed with small children in mind these quills were not only self-inking, there were completely leak proof. The more expensive ones were even charmed in such a way that they would write on absolutely nothing other than parchment, thus ruling out any accidents of little ones writing on clothing, tablecloths, furniture, or any other thing they attempted to try. For safety's sake, Snape opted for one of those regardless of price. His sanity was worth a lot!

Harry happily picked out a quill with a gold nib and a pretty red feather causing Snape to shake his head at the colors, but the little boy was adamant. "Pretty, 'Nape!" Harry insisted, clutching his selection tightly. "Want this one. I pick. You said!"

"Fine, Potter, give it to the clerk and he will put it with mine," Snape conceded.

Nodding, Harry handed over the quill with a smile and slipped his hand back into Snape's. "Where we go now, 'Nape?"

"We have everything that we need for now, so it is time to go home." Snape responded.

Harry looked horrified at the idea and protested as they walked along. "Candy, 'Nape! I be's good!"

Snape looked down at the little boy and quirked an eyebrow. "Oh really? And demanding candy is being good?"

"Pwease?" Harry answered giving the Potions Master a look that could melt stone.

Despite the popular belief that Severus Snape was indeed made of stone, he couldn't resist Harry pleading gaze. With a sigh, he guided Harry toward Honeydukes. "Do not touch every piece of candy you see and you may only get one SMALL bag of treats. None of which you are trying out until after you eat your dinner. Do you understand?"

"Yes, 'Nape," Harry nodded in agreement. Though he really wanted something now, he could wait for a little bit if it meant he got a whole bag of candy.

"Very well then." Snape prepared himself for the overly sweet smells that he knew would assault his nostrils and opened the door to the sweets shop.

Harry made it just inside the door and stopped. It was even more wonderful inside than what could be seen through the window! It wasn't until Snape nudged him in the back that the little boy moved again, the big green eyes trying to take it all in.

Toffees, peanut brittle, lollipops as big as his hand, gum drops, and more chocolate than Harry had ever seen before where all available. And that was just part of it. There were magical candies as well though Snape absolutely refused to get him much of that. After much deliberation, Harry came away with two chocolate frogs, a few chocoballs, a licorice wand, and enough Honeydukes fudge that Snape swore it would take Harry a week to eat it all unless he wanted to wind up sick.

Clinging to Snape's hand, the little boy skipped along happily beside the Potions Master. The candy had been tucked safely in a pocket of Snape's robe and Harry was one satisfied child.

"We eat when we get home, 'Nape?" he questioned.

"Yes, Potter, it will be dinnertime when we get back to our rooms," Snape answered as they left the village and started back to the castle.

"And then candy!" Harry declared. "You can have piece too, 'Nape."

"Thank you," the man gave a faint smile.

Harry grinned up at Snape. But the afternoon was starting to take its toll on the little one and before they were in sight of the front gates of Hogwarts, Harry had lost his skip. Without a comment, Snape scooped the child up and Harry gratefully laid his head on the black robed shoulder. "I likes the Hog place," he stated.

"Hogsmeade," Snape corrected. Not getting a repeat of the word or an answer, Snape glanced at his little armful only to discover Harry was asleep. "I think our dinner will wait a bit tonight," the Potions Master commented softly as he continued the walk back in quiet contemplation.

oooooooooo

Once having made up his mind to do something what he considered to be the right way, Severus Snape was not a man to be swayed. Therefore, even though less than a week before he was happy to remain virtually secluded in his rooms the same as always, he now found himself stepping out of a floo and leading his little charge on a visit to Diagon Alley.

If Harry had thought that Hogsmeade was big, the toddler's eyes nearly bulged out at the sight of all that this new place had to offer. Mouth open and head swiveling back and forth, Harry clung tightly to Snape's hand. He was excited and part of him wanted to see everything, but there were so many people bustling around the little boy also wanted to make very sure Snape was close.

Snape heard the gasp from beside him and felt the little hand tighten the grip on his own. Holding back a smile, the Potions Master brushed off his robes and Harry's shirt and trousers, shaking his head again at the almost Muggle looking shirt the child wore. "First we will go to the bank and then we are going to get you some proper clothes."

Harry glanced down at his shirt as Snape's words registered. "I likes my dragons," he stated, patting the two dragons that adorned his chest and periodically moved their heads and roared. It was one of his new shirts that they had gotten on the trip to Hogsmeade and unknown to Harry, one of the things that had sealed Snape's decision for their current excursion.

"Yes, I know you do," Snape commented dryly, "but you need to look more presentable." With that, he led the little boy along the street to Gringott's.

The green eyes tried to take it all in and Harry waited quietly as Snape got his money. Once they were back on the street however, the flood of questions started. "What were them, 'Nape? Not elves like at home. And one of them looked mean at me. Why did he do that? I not do nothing."

The Potions Master looked down at the little boy. "No, they are not elves. Those were goblins. They take care of money for witches and wizards and are very good at it. And I know that you didn't do anything. Perhaps the goblin is not used to children." Not that he's the only one like that, Snape added to himself, though honestly he supposed he couldn't make that claim as much any more. After all he had had care of this brat for weeks now and here they were on a shopping trip together, for Merlin's sake! Shaking his head at his own thoughts, Snape guided Harry to Madam Malkin's robe shop.

The little witch was not very busy and called out cheerfully that she would be right with them before returning to finish up with a customer. Harry looked around and wrinkled his nose. There was nothing here that looked half as nice to him as his dragon shirt. He tugged on Snape's hand and whispered, "Not want more clothes, 'Nape."

"Too bad, Potter," Snape responded as he perused the selections for children.

Pouting, Harry let go of Snape's hand and begin to push some of the robes aside on the rack. Ignoring Snape's low warning to behave and be careful, the toddler's tugs became harder and harder and within moments of Madam Malkin bidding her customer good day and turning to them, Harry succeeded in pulling a drab brown robe off the hanger and onto himself and the floor.

Snape gave a little growl. "I told you to behave, little boy. I see that you have decided which robes you want." He picked up the fallen garment.

"NO!" Harry yelled, very much afraid that Snape was really going to buy the hideous thing and that would mean Harry would be made to wear it. "No, 'Nape! Uggie!!"

"Then you shouldn't have pulled it down," the Potions Master stated.

Harry burst into tears. "Not want uggie robe!"

"Now, now," Madam Malkin made her way over and took the robe from Snape. "I'm sure it was an accident that it was pulled down. Don't cry, deary. Come with me and we will find you a color that you like."

Snape snorted. Why did every female seem to cater to the brat? he wondered.

Harry allowed himself to be led to another area and wiped his tears with his sleeve, giving the nice witch a little smile when she suggested a set of green robes to match one of his dragons. Before the little boy knew it he had picked several colors that he liked, green, blue, dark red, and, to the Potions Master utter surprise, black.

"I likes these too," Harry declared as he gave a little turn and tried to make the dark material billow behind him. "Just like 'Nape."

Severus swallowed, for a brief moment speechless at the little face turned up to him with a smile. Potter wanting to imitate HIM?? What was the world coming to?? Regaining his composure, Snape commented, "I hardly think we need robes in every color of the rainbow. Pick two for now."

Harry chewed his lip. He liked them all and had no idea how to go about narrowing down his selection any more. He studied the choices and looked up at Snape hopefully, "Three?"

"Two," was the adamant reply.

With a sigh, the toddler pointed to the dark red robes. "Those ones and my 'Nape ones," he decided.

Chuckling, Madam Malkin put back the others and helped Harry climb on a little stool so that she could make the necessary adjustments and resizing for first his "'Nape robes" and then his others. After things were ready, Snape paid for the robes and took them, shrinking the package to fit in his pocket. "Come along now, we have other stops to make." With Harry's hand in his once more, the Potions Master strolled out of the shop.

"I really liked the gween ones too," Harry said quietly as they made their way past a few more shops.

"Green, Potter. Remember your r's," Snape corrected and then halted in front of yet another shop that sold clothes.

The sigh that came from the child was much too big for the little body, but Harry couldn't bear the thought of MORE clothes and whined, "'Nape!!"

"Yes?" Dark eyes peered down at Harry.

"I gots clothes. And robes too."

"A few more things won't hurt. Now stop whining." Snape pulled the little boy firmly with him as he entered.

Having no choice but to follow, Harry soon found himself the victim of Snape and the shop owner as all manner of outfits were discussed and of course several had to be tried on, much to the boy's disgust. At last though selections were made and Harry was the owner of three pairs of trousers, black, grey, and tan; two smart looking white dress shirts; and three sweaters. But to Harry the best thing of all was the last thing Snape added to the pile. It was a cloak of the same rich green color that the robes he had wanted had been.

"It's green, 'Nape," the little boy pointed out gleefully, being careful to pronounce the color correctly.

"It is indeed," the Potions Master responded. "You might as well go ahead and wear it. It is turning colder." The comment might have been considered true as the temperature had dropped perhaps two degrees at most, but the dark haired wizard had to hold back a slight smile as Harry eagerly pulled on the cloak, small fingers fumbling a bit with the fastening.

Snape reached down to secure it, commenting offhandedly. "This will save time, since we are ready to go. I don't have an hour to wait for you to get dressed this time."

Harry wasn't put off in the least by the man's tone and grinned happily up at the Potions Master. "Where we go next, 'Nape? Can we look at ALL the shops?"

"Not all, but I suppose we might make a few more stops. I do not intend to drag you here every weekend."

Nodding and taking Snape's hand again, Harry pulled the man along with him as they left the clothing store. The little boy wanted to see as much as he was allowed! It was hard to look in the shops they were passing and keep an eye on the ones across the street as well, but Harry tried his best. They passed another alley leading off to the side and Harry looked down it curiously. It was much darker than the one they were on and the little boy didn't think it looked very nice or fun. He offered no objection at all as Snape hurried him past Knockturn Alley.

Only moments past the darker place, Harry spotted a grand sight however and tugged Snape's hand. "'Nape! Ice Cream!" The enticing façade of Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor lured the child closer. "Can we have some? Pwease, 'Nape! Can we??" The little boy was giving a tug at the older wizard's hand at every question.

"Potter, stop trying to pull my arm off and I might possibly consider it," Snape replied. At the little bounce of the child he added, "After we finish all our shopping."

Harry stopped and looked up at Snape in bewilderment. After?? But who knew how long that would be. And they were right here! A fact the little boy felt needed to be pointed out. "We here now, 'Nape."

"Yes, we are. We also will have to pass by here again to get back to the floo we used earlier. We will stop for a small treat then. Now if you wish to see more, let's be on our way," Snape stated matter-of-factly.

Frowning at having to wait, Harry gave the ice cream parlor a wistful look and continued slowly walking by Snape's side. It took a few moments for the boy to begin looking around again since his mind was on the cold treat for later. When he did notice where they were heading, he wrinkled his nose. It was a shop that had lots and lots of jars similar to the ones Snape had and as they entered, Harry made a small sound of disgust. It smelled icky too.

"I need to pick up a few things from the apothecary," Snape explained and then added in a low warning tone, "Do not touch anything."

Harry nodded and let his eyes roam around while staying close to Snape. The barrels of slimy. . .somethings. . .that they passed made Harry feel sick and he was glad that they HADN'T eaten anything first. The powders and herbs weren't as bad and he really hoped Snape would get some of them and not anything gross. He stared at the things hanging from the ceiling beams - all manner of feathers and some claws of some type of animal - as he half listened to Snape give his order to the man in charge.

Thankfully only a short time later they were back in the fresh air with Snape having added the four vials and three jars of ingredients he had purchased to the things stored in his pockets. Curiously, Harry asked, "Can I put things in my pockets, 'Nape?"

Snape looked down. "You want something to carry?"

"Uh huh," Harry nodded. "Want to make it littler and carry it."

"You will not be the one making it 'littler', but we will see what we can do about giving you a package," the Potions Master commented.

The next stop was one that Harry didn't mind as they visited Flourish and Blotts and the little boy came away with some more books which he planned to get Snape to read to him. It was when they left the bookseller that it happened.

"'Nape!!!" Harry yelled, coming to a complete stop suddenly and staring at a shop on the other side of the street.

"What is it, Potter?"

Harry pointed. "Toys!!"

Snape followed the direction of the little finger and nodded. "Would you be interested in looking there?"

The green eyes looked up at the man as if he had lost his mind. "YES!!"

"Manners, Potter, or you won't be going a step closer," Snape remarked.

It took a moment for Harry to grasp what Snape was after, but then he turned pleading eyes to the Potions Master. "Yes, sir. Pwease, 'Nape?"

With a nod, Snape scooped the toddler up and crossed the now even busier street. It was nearing late afternoon and more people were out shopping before going home for the evening. Pausing in front of the store, man and boy watched the window display of a clown toy that was enchanted to be able to juggle.

As they stepped inside, Harry's eyes widened even more. He had thought his little selection of toys at home was wonderful, but this was overwhelming. There were toys of every possible kind, both charmed and the regular more Muggle type. The little boy spotted some blocks like the ones he adored, balls of all kinds, dolls in assorted dress which would talk and dance for little girls, self pouring tea sets, boats and airplanes that sailed or flew, puzzles, and toward the back the bigger toys such as rocking horses and miniature castles to be used as playhouses.

And stuffed toys. Half a wall was full of cuddly softness. The moment Snape set him on his feet Harry made a beeline for them. The green eyes took in the assortment of mythical creatures such as dragons that roared and unicorns which neighed as well as more mundane animals like lions and rabbits and cats and dogs. And of course the infamous teddy bears.

Snape watched in amusement as Harry touched the different animals, setting some on the floor to see what they did before returning them to the shelf. The little boy kept looking over at the Potions Master and Snape didn't think Harry would ever lose the grin that was on his face.

After long minutes hugging and trying out the different stuffed animals, Harry located the section of those which were designed with one thought in mind. Cuddling. No magical tricks or charms, no noises, just a simple toy made to be held and loved by a child. The little boy perused the offerings and his eyes fell on a dog. It was a cute puppy with a brown body and two flop over ears, one a light tan and the other a dark brown. The toy looked at the little boy with brown plastic eyes that were as soulful as some real puppies. For three year old Harry Potter, it was love at first sight.

Lifting the dog from the shelf, Harry walked over to Snape. "'Nape, I get this one? Pwease, pwease?"

"You are sure that is the one you want out of all of them? You are only getting one," Snape warned.

Harry nodded his head emphatically, hugging the soft toy close. "This one," he declared firmly.

Snape nodded, "Alright then, yes you may have it."

"Thank you, 'Nape!" Harry kept one arm around his new toy and hugged Snape's legs with the other.

"You're welcome, Harry," Snape patted Harry's head, letting his fingers comb through the boy's hair slightly.

It was a happy little boy that left the toy shop shortly thereafter with his new friend tucked safely in his pocket.

oooooooooo

Harry blinked away the sleepiness again. Or at least tried to. It was getting harder and harder though. Comfortably ensconced in Snape's lap with the Potions Master's arm around him, the little boy listened contentedly to Snape's silky voice as the man read a story from one of the new books they had purchased earlier in the day.

Glancing down at the small boy on his lap, Snape shook his head. What had happened to him? Here he was, Severus Snape, secret spy, willing to face death, feared by students and some adults as well, and now he was reading bedtime stories?? To Harry bloody Potter no less!!! Snape regarded the soft dark head and the little arms that held the new stuffed dog close while taking in the clean scent of the child that lingered from his bath. What was it about this brat that made him feel. . .protective? As Harry snuggled closer and gave a yawn, Snape commented, "Bedtime."

"More 'tory, 'Nape," the little voice offered soft protest.

"Tomorrow," Snape responded, closing the book. "We have had a long day today."

"Uh huh," Harry agreed and patted his puppy. "Pup-Pup sleepy."

"Pup-Pup?" Snape quirked an eyebrow at the name.

"Uh huh," the little boy answered again, though this time it ended with a yawn. "Night night, 'Nape." With that Harry curled close, one arm tightly holding his new friend and the other hand holding to Snape's sleeve as he pillowed his head on the man's chest and closed his eyes.

"Good night, Harry," Snape replied. Rather than carry the child to bed, Snape stayed where he was in the rocking chair, Harry snugly held in his arms. This is just to make sure the boy was fully asleep and wouldn't wake up when tucked in, Snape assured himself as he smoothed one hand through the soft hair of the sleeping child.