Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Constant Vigilance Again and SPEW

A few weeks later Moody announced to them that he would be placing the Imperius Curse on each of them.

“But – you said it was illegal, professor.”

Moody’s magical eyes swiveled to land on Thomas as he cleared away the desks with a wave of his wand.

“Dumbledore wants you taught what it feels like.  If you’d rather learn the hard way – leave.  You’re excused.”

Thomas turned red and mumbled, “I didn’t mean I wanted to leave, sir.”  Moody eyed him for a moment then grunted.

He then began to beckon students forward and Harry and Niamh had a time watching them.  Millicent Bulstrode ran in circles yelling gibberish.  Pansy tried to fly.  Draco imitated a ferret, which sent Niamh into hysterics.  It also made Moody choose her next.  She skipped around the room singing a song by U2.  Out of all of them, only Niamh had managed to fight the curse, later telling Harry Moody had been trying to make her sing the national anthem.  But none of them recovered until Moody released them.

“Potter, you next.”

Harry walked past Niamh as she head back to where they’d been standing, giving him a wink.  As soon as Harry was in the center of the cleared area, Moody lifted his wand.

Imperio!

Harry felt a floating sensation as every thought and worry in his head faded into the background, leaving only a vague happiness.  He stood there, feeling immensely relaxed.

Then he heard Moody’s voice in his head…

Jump onto the desk…

Why? Said a voice in his head.  Stupid thing to do really…

Jump onto the desk…

No, I don’t think I will, thanks, said the voice…no, I really don’t want to…

Jump!  NOW!

The next thing Harry knew he was lying spread-eagled on the floor.  Judging from the pain in his back and tailbone, he had thrown himself backwards.

“Now, that’s more like it!  Look at that, you lot…Potter fought!  He fought it, and he beat it!  Very good, Potter, very good!  They’ll have a hell of a time trying to control you!”

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

“Can’t believe you beat that curse, mate,” said Ron later as they were walking towards the Hall for dinner.

“Ron was skipping on every alternate step yesterday,” said Hermione with a smile.  “Oh, and Harry, Niamh, Ginny…I wanted to ask you if you wanted to join S.P.E.W.”

Spew?” said Niamh in surprise.

“S – P – E – W!  Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare.”

“Uh, Mione,” said Niamh. “You’re my friend and I love you for your braininess but…house-elves like working.”

“How do you know that?  Did you ask one?”  Hermione narrowed her eyes at Niamh.

“Being as I spent most of the summer with a house- elf, I’d think I’d know.”

Hermione turned on Harry now.

“You own a house-elf?!”

Harry glared at Niamh, who whistled innocently, then looked down at the practically spitting Hermione.

“She’s Da’s.  An Ni’s right, Mione.  House-elves enjoy working.  Even Dobby does!  Just not for the Malfoy’s.”

“How do you know that?”

“Because Dobby’s been working in the kitchens here since third year.  And, yes, he does get pay.  And…”  Harry said this loudly as Hermione opened her mouth “…I asked the other house-elves if they would consider taking pay.  They won’t.  They’re happy here, Mione.  As if Dumbledore would mistreat a house-elf.”

Hermione glared at him then stormed off in a huff.

“Well,” said Ron, looking after her, “that went well.”

Ginny rolled her eyes as Niamh whispered to Harry, “Were you being serious or do you not want to join Spew because you’re probably some distant relation to house-elves?”

Harry gave her an odd look and replied, “I was being serious.  And I’m as a distant relation to house-elves as you are to Ron.  Now let’s go get some food.  I’m starved.”