Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

To Face a Dragon…

Harry, under his Invisibility Cloak and with Hedwig curled tightly about his wrist, crept across the dark grounds towards Hagrid’s lighted hut.  He could hear Madame Maxime talking inside the Beauxbatons carriage as he went past but he ignored it, sliding on past and knocking on Hagrid’s door with an invisible fist.

What are we doing?” hissed Hedwig.

“Shh,” replied Harry.

Humphf.”

Harry rolled his eyes then looked up as Hagrid open his door and poked out his shaggy head.  He saw the broken teeth of a comb in it and winced.  Slytherin’s serpent, Hagrid had worse hair that he’d had on the streets!  And that was waist-length and from eleven years of dirt and grime!

“That you, Harry?”

“Unless some other invisible person is wandering around,” said Harry in an amused tone.  Hagrid grunted and opened the door enough to let Harry slide in.  As soon as he was inside, the teen threw back the hood of his cloak.

“What is it you want to show me, Hagrid?  Something to do with the skrewts?”

“You’ll see,” replied Hagrid.  “Now follow me, an’ keep yerself covered with that cloak.”

“Alright.  Let me get the hood back up.  Oh, is this going to be something that might scare Hedwig?  Like the hippogriffs last year?”

Hagrid looked thoughtful for a moment then shook his head before striding out into the night.  Harry gave the hood of the cloak one more tug for good measure then loped after Hagrid.  He blinked when Hagrid led him over to the Beauxbatons carriage but didn’t say anything.

Hagrid looked around as though looking for Harry then knocked on the door.  Madame Maxime, a silk shawl about her shoulders, appeared in the doorway and smile at Hagrid.

“Ah, ‘Agrid…it is time?”

“Bong-sewer,” replied Hagrid, holding out his arm after he’d helped her step down the golden steps.  As they tromped off, Harry followed them, sliding noiselessly across the grass with practiced steps.

“Wair is it you are taking me, ‘Agrid?” asked Madame Maxime.

“Yeh’ll enjoy this.  On’y – don’ go tellin’ anyone I showed yeh, right?  Yeh’re not s’posed ter know.”

“Of course not.”

Harry frowned slightly at the exchange.  What on earth was Hagrid leading him to?

Then he heard it.  The shouts of men and a deafening roar came from just ahead of him and he broke into a faster pace in sudden anticipation.

They cleared a clump of trees and Harry hissed under his breath, “Hell’s bells…  Dragons…

There were four of them, four vicious-looking dragons inside a fence made of thick wood planks.  Harry’s eyes widened as he recognized the breeds.

“Silvery-blue…Swedish Short-Snout,” he breathed, taking a few steps away from Hagrid and Madame Maxime.  “Common Welsh Green…Chinese Fireball…and….cripes!

What?” hissed Hedwig.

“They’ve got a bloody Hungarian Horntail!” hissed Harry, eyes wide as he watched the huge, lizard-like beast of black rear on its hind legs and roar, its slitted yellow eyes bulging.

Is that bad?

“Its bloody suicidal!”

Harry watched as the dragon keepers drew their wands and fired Stunning Spells at the dragons.  The Horntail swayed dangerously then came down, making the ground quiver slightly.  He inched closer as the dragon keepers hurriedly made the chains about the dragons fast and secured them to iron pegs.

“All right there, Hagrid?” called one of the dragon keepers as he strode over to them.  Harry quickly recognized him as Charlie and smiled slightly.  Charlie eyed Madame Maxime as she began to circle the enclosure and said to Hagrid, “I thought you were coming alone, Hagrid.”

“I thought she’d like ter see ‘em.”

“Nice date, Hagrid.”

“One fer each champion?” asked Hagrid, gesturing at the dragons.  Harry nearly keeled over when Charlie replied.

“Yep.  They just have to get past them, I think.  Oh, I hope Harry doesn’t get that Horntail…”

Harry wanted to slap Charlie.  Instead he settled for moaning softly and ducking his head.  You were never supposed to say anything like that!  Generally it came true!

Charlie continued, “I just hope he’s fine after he faces this first task.  Mum’s been having kittens worried about him.  ‘Course, Dad keep telling her that Harry isn’t a Slytherin for nothing.”

“True,” said Hagrid, eyeing the dragons longingly.

Harry took this as he time to leave and turned, making good use of his long legs by sprinting across the grounds and up into the castle.  He blatantly ignored the fact that he saw Karkaroff also creeping across the lawn.  As he crept like a shadow through the corridors, his mind was spinning.

What was he going to use to get past a fifty-foot, fire-breathing dragon?

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

Tuesday and the First Task came far too fast for Harry and he still didn’t know how to get past the damned dragon.  As he saw Cedric leaving breakfast, he was struck by the memory of seeing Karkaroff the night he’d seen the dragons.  Rising, he broke into a fast lope and caught Cedric by the arm just as he was heading up the marble staircase.

“Cedric!”

Gray eyes blinked at him in surprise and Cedric said, “Harry?  What…  Is something wrong?”

Harry made sure no one was near them and said, “The first task is dragons.”

What?

“Dragons,” repeated Harry.  “There’s four – one for each of us – and we’ve got to get past them.”

“Are you sure?  I mean…”

“I’ve seen them.”

What?  How?”

Harry sighed and said, “Nevermind how.  But Fleur and Krum probably know too.  Maxime and Karkaroff saw the dragons too.”

“And we have to face them today?  Oh dear…”

Harry smiled, or tried to smile, at the older boy.  It must have looked bad because Cedric grimaced then began to laugh.  Harry began to laugh as well and said, “I bet we look like a bunch of fools.”

Cedric shook his head and said, “I don’t think anyone would have the guts to call you a fool, Harry.”

“Good point.  The mighty Lord Hex is feared by all.”

Cedric laughed again then clapped Harry on the shoulder.

“Thanks for telling me, Harry.”

“Welcome,” said Harry.  He then saw a few sixth-year Hufflepuffs emerging from the Great Hall and said, “I’d better slither off in my Slytherinly way.”

“Hmm?”

Harry jabbed his thumb over his shoulders towards the Hufflepuffs and said, “They’ll say I’m trying to hex you so I’ll be the only Hogwarts champion in the tournament.”

“But I know you wouldn’t do that,” said Cedric with a wink.  “And that’s all that counts.”

“True.  But try and tell that to the good bit of the school that thinks I cheated to enter.  Y’know, half the Slytherins are supporting you.”

“Half your own House?”

Harry smiled bitterly and said, “Just because they’re my own House, doesn’t mean they like me.  Good luck.”

“You too,” said Cedric as Harry headed down the steps and in the direction of the dungeons.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

“Harry, what are you going to do?” hissed Niamh as they huddled together in the back of the History of Magic classroom, ignoring Binns persistent droning.

“I don’t bloody know!” spat Harry in response, leaning on his elbows.  He turned his head to look at his friend and asked, “What would you do to get past a dragon?”

“You know more about magical creatures than me.”

Harry grunted and closed his eyes for a moment before he spread one hand on the table and pointed at his fingers with the other.

“Okay, dragons are impervious to all spells except really powerful one’s or one’s cast in great number.  They’re eyes are vulnerable but you can’t hit those unless your close enough.  Then there’s the whole fire-breathing thing.  Plus their wings, which can be dangerous in close quarters.  And…well, hell, a dragon practically unbeatable.”

“But not completely,” said Niamh, eyes glittering.

“No…not completely.  But…gah!”

“What?”

“I just had a epiphany.”

“A what?

“And idea.”

“And may I know this wondrous idea?” asked Niamh sarcastically.  Harry grinned at her and patted her shoulder.

“You’ll see.  You’ll see…”

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

Lunch came and with it came Snape and the task.  Nearly all eyes were on the Potions Master as he crossed the Hall to where Harry sat with Niamh and Ginny.

“Potter.”

Harry looked up from his lunch and slowly rose.  Niamh and Ginny smiled nervously and both whispered, “Good luck.”  He forced a smile at the two of them then walked out with Snape.

As the two of them headed out onto the grounds and the cold air, Severus put his hand on his son’s shoulder.

“Are you alright?”

“Good as I’m going to be,” replied Harry.

Severus smiled slightly and said, “Don’t worry.  There are wizards standing by if the situation gets out of control.  And I’ll be up in the stands with my wand at ready.”

Harry looked at his father oddly and said, “You think I’m going to be scorched by dragon breath?”

“No, no, no.  I am positive of it.”

“Oh, thanks.  I really feel better now.”

Severus chuckled then looked up.

“We’re here.”

Harry frowned at the tent in front of him then looked at his father again.

“Could you tell me that this’ all a dream?”

Severus shook his head and Harry sighed.

“I thought so…  Oh well.”

Harry gave a little shake and said, “Wish me luck.”

“Only the best.  Bagman’s inside with the other champions to tell you what’s going on.  Good luck, Harry.”

“Thank you,” said Harry, adding ‘sir’ as an afterthought.  Severus winked at him then walked off in the direction of the dragon enclosure.  Harry checked to make sure his wand was in it holster and ready to pull at a moment’s notice, then entered the tent.

“Harry!” cried Bagman.  “Come in, come in!”

Harry entered slowly, eying the happily grinning man.

“Well, now we’re all here – time to fill you in!  When the audience has assembled, I’m going to be offering each of you this bag (he waved a small silk bag) from which you will each select a small model of the thing you are about to face?  There are different – er – varieties (“Varieties, my ass,” muttered Harry), you see.  And I have to tell you something else too…ah, yes…your task is to collect the golden egg!

“Eggs,” muttered Harry, letting his head drop into his hand.  “It had to be eggs.”

Soon they heard the trample of footsteps and happily talking voices passing by the tent.  Harry peered out and thought he saw Hermione flash by, her face very drawn and worried looking.  Bagman opened the bag and offered it to Fleur, who put a shaking hand inside and pulled out a tiny miniature of the Welsh Green with a number two around its neck.

Krum went next, drawing the Chinese Fireball and the number three.  Harry gave a little inward smile as he noticed neither of them were surprised.  So Maxime and Karkaroff had told them…

 Cedric – looking exceedingly green – stepped forward and drew out the Swedish Short-Snout, with a one tied about its neck.  Harry felt a sinking feeling as he realized what was left and stuck his hand into the bag when Bagman offered it to him.  The Hungarian Horntail stood in his hand a minute later, stretching its wings and baring sharp fangs at him.  He plucked the piece of paper with the number four off its neck and tossed it away, just watching the dragon as it circled around his hand.

“Well then!” said Bagman.  “You have each pulled out the dragon you will face and the number in which you shall face yours.  Now, I’m going to leave you in a moment because I’m commenting but Mr. Diggory, you’re first, so, just go into the enclosure when you hear a whistle, all right?  Harry…”

“No, thank you, Mr. Bagman,” said Harry, watching the Horntail lay down in the palm of his hand.

Bagman nodded slightly and said, “Well then.  Good luck!”  He then left the tent and they were alone.  A whistle blew a few minutes later and Cedric, who was getting greener by the moment, started for the door.  Harry touched his arm before he made it out and whispered, “Good luck.”  The older boy nodded at him then headed out.  Harry listened closely and heard the roar of the crowd that meant Cedric had entered the enclosure.  He turned back to the mini Horntail and went over what he planned to do in his head.

Soon enough it was Fleur’s turn, and she left the tent shaking but with her head held high.  Harry watched her go out of the corner of his eye then looked back at the model.

Minutes later the crowd erupted into applause as they had done for Cedric and the whistle was blown.  Krum rose stiffly and slouched out, leaving Harry alone.

And then it was Harry’s turn.

He rose slowly as the whistle blew, stuffing the model into his pocket.  He walked out and over to the enclosure, passing through a gap in the fence and drawing his wand as the crowd roared.  The Horntail crouched over her clutch of eggs at the other end of the enclosure, her yellow eyes fixed evilly upon him.  Harry clutched his wand hard and took a breath.

Just like dueling Niamh.  Yeah, there’s an idea…  Think of that vicious dragon as your best friend, who can also be vicious when she sets her mind to it.

Harry walked a few steps forward, wand held out straight in front of him, the tip tilted towards the grounds slightly.  His eyes were focused on the Horntail as he waited, hoping she would do what he wanted her to…

The Horntail seemed to draw into herself then roared, a great rush of fire coming out of her mouth straight towards him.  Gasps went up from the crowd as he stood, waiting until the rush of heat was almost upon him before he yelled, “Speculum!

A half-circle of transparent blue light formed from the tip of his wand and, as the fire struck it, it was gathered into a ball, hovering just before the tip of his wand and the half shield then it hurled itself back towards the Horntail in a rush.

Harry dispelled the mirror at the same time, rushing forward under the flames; his body crouched low towards the ground.  He ignored the surprised gasps coming from the crowd and Bagman’s magnified voice.  Pointing his wand at the Horntail’s feet as it reared to meet its own flames, he yelled, “Funis!”  Ropes sprang from his wand and lashed themselves about the dragon claws, binding them together.  The dragon fell with a roar as Harry dove at the clutch, his left hand grabbing the golden egg and holding it close against his chest.  He rolled, landing on his back, wand pointed upwards as the flames – no longer heading for the Horntail – headed towards the crowd.  There were wizards running across the field, trying to beat the flames to the crowd.

Incendia verto!

The crowd was shrieking, waiting for the fire to strike them – and was struck instead by thousands of roses.  They stared at the perfectly proportioned, blood red flowers then began to cheer in roaring screams as Harry rose to his feet, egg in the crook of his left arm and waved at the part of the crowd almost struck by the flames.

“Look at that!  Our youngest champion is the quickest to get his egg!  And what a way to do it!  I suppose his nickname isn’t Lord Hex for nothing!”

Harry grinned wryly as he sheathed his wand then let out a yelp as someone very large grabbed him from behind and lifted him into the air.  He got a glimpse of Hagrid’s bushy beard and said loudly, “Hagrid!”

The giant of a man grinned widely behind his bushy beard and put Harry down, clapping a large hand on the teen’s shoulder.

“Yeh did it!  Agains’ the Horntail!”

“Thanks, Hagrid,” said Harry, feeling Hagrid would continue on and let out that he’d taken him to see the dragons.

“Bravo, Harry,” said Severus as he walked up, his dark eyes shining.  “That was quite a move at the beginning.  Quite a move indeed.”  Harry could practically taste the words ‘And you scared me half to death’ upon the air.

“Thank you, sir.”

“An’ here comes that Niamh,” said Hagrid.  He grinned at Harry then said loudly, “Let’s leave Harry to get ‘is score, Professor.”

“Ah, yes, yes,” said Severus, seeing Niamh coming.  “Good job, Harry.  Yes, yes, Hagrid, I’m coming.”

Harreeeeey!” squealed Niamh as she threw herself bodily onto him, hugging him tightly.  Harry laughed and nearly dropped the heavy golden egg as she began to dance around with him.  The dark-haired girl hugged him again then began to bounce up and down, resembling a house-elf on a sugar high.

“You did it, you did it, you did it!”

Harry grinned at her and slung his arm around her shoulder to keep her from bouncing anymore.  He saw Ginny and Hermione standing near the opening in the enclosure.  And he was surprised to see Ron lurking behind them.

Striding over to them, Niamh under one arm and the egg tucked in the other, he grinned.  Ginny and Hermione immediately latched onto him as he got near, practically glowing.

“Oh, we were so worried!” said Hermione, brown eyes wide.  “When you were just standing there with that fire coming at you…I thought it was going to hit you!”

“But I,” said Ginny loudly, “told her not to worry.  I knew you had it under control!”

Harry grinned at her then looked at Ron, who was staring at him like he was a ghost.  A tense silence fell upon the three girls as the two boys stared at each other.

Ron finally said, “Harry…I think whoever put your name in that goblet’s trying to do you in!”

“Caught on, have you?” said Harry, arching an eyebrow.

Ron opened his mouth again but Harry held up his free hand.

“No.  Don’t apologize.  Remember at the end of last year?”

Ron winced and said, “Yeah.”

“Exactly,” said Harry with a grin.  Ron looked at him for a moment then grinned back.

Hermione suddenly yelled, “You two are so stupid!”

“Hey!” said Harry.  “He started it.”  He pointed at Ron, who glared mildly at him and punched him lightly on the shoulder.

“Shut up, you.  Let’s go see your scores…”

Harry grinned wryly and the five of them walked off, Niamh hurriedly going through what the other champions had done.

“Look, look!” cried Ginny, pointing at the five judges sitting at the other end of the enclosure, right above where the fire had almost hit the crowd.

“It’s marks out of ten from each,” explained Hermione.  “And Madame Maxime’s putting hers up!”

Maxime raised her wand in the air and a long silver ribbon shot out, twisting itself into a nine into the air.

Mr. Crouch was next.  Another nine rose in the air.

Dumbledore – ten.

Ludo Bagman – ten.

Karkaroff – six.

“A six!” shrieked Niamh, shaking her fist angrily.  “You gave Krum a ten, and he crushed half his eggs!”

“Don’t worry about!” screamed Ginny.  “Harry’s in the lead!”

“Well, that’s something…” grumbled Niamh.  Harry grinned down at the girl then gave her a one-armed hug, nearly pulling her off her feet,

Harry!

“What?” asked Harry innocently as the five of them stood there.  Charlie suddenly appeared, grinning at Harry as Ginny threw herself onto her brother and Ron grinned at him.

“Great job, Harry.  First place…  Unbelievable.  I’ve got to go send an owl to Mum, I swore I’d tell her what happened – oh, and Bagman wants a word, back in the champions’ tent.  See you lot later!”

“Bye!” yelled Niamh and Ginny as Harry headed for the champions tent.  He got there at the same time Cedric did.  The older boy had orange paste covering one side of his face but he grinned at Harry nonetheless.

“Good one, Harry.  I don’t think anyone expected that.”

Harry grinned and said, “Never do what’s expected.  You did well too.”

“Well done, all of you!” said Bagman as he entered the tent.  “Now, just a few words.  You’ve got a long break before the second task, which will take place at half past nine on the morning of February the twenty fourth – but we’re giving you something to think about in the meantime.  See the hinges on the eggs your holding – yes, they open!  You need to solve the clue inside because it will tell you what the second task is and how to prepare for it!  Everyone get that?  Alright…off you go!”

Harry left the tent and joined up with his friends again.  The five of them headed towards the castle but were stopped when Rita Skeeter appeared, her acid green Quick-Quotes Quill blending in perfectly against her robes.

“Congratulations, Harry!  I was wondering if I could have a word?  How you felt facing that dragon?  The fairness of the scoring?”

“Yeah, you can have a word,” spat Harry,  “You can even have two.”

“Really?” said Rita with a grin.  ‘What?”

Sod off,” replied Harry, turning back to his friends and heading for the castle without looking back.

Chapter End Notes:
Speculum – Mirror

Funis – Ropes

Incendia verto – Fire transform