Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

A Problem Arises

“You have failed me, Severus.”

“Forgive me, my lord, I…”

Crucio!

Severus hit the floor hard, his head cracking sharply against the stones.  His mind had just started to drift away from the pain when a second Cruciatus Curse hit him.  Immediately his mind shot back into its place and began to scream along with his nerves.

Crucio!

Crucio!

Crucio!

Crucio!

Four more curses joined Voldemort’s and the second one.  The pain, for the first time in years, became too much.

Severus screamed.

Laughter sounded on the edge of his hearing, harsh laughter. They were laughing at him.  All of them.  Laughing at his failure.

It infuriated him.

But he could nothing about it.

A few seconds after the other curses had been cast, he began to lose consciousness.  There is only so much pain that the human body can take – even one hardened by the streets – and Severus’ body had reached its breaking point.

He lost consciousness slowly, his last thought before he slipped into that dark pit was towards his comatose son miles away.

I’m sorry.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

PROFESSOR!” screamed Niamh, sitting up sharply.

Miss O’Feir!” snapped Madam Pomfrey.  “OUT!”

“But…” began Niamh, sitting up.

OUT!

Niamh fled.

She turned and ran for Dumbledore’s office, to which she hoped the password Harry had used at the beginning of the year had not been changed.

“Fizzing Whizbee!” she snapped to the gargoyle as she slid to a halt in front of it.

The ugly statue seemed to leer at her and she scowled at it.

“Let me in!  I need to talk to the Headmaster!”

The gargoyle didn’t move.

“It’s important!  Professor Snape could be in trouble!”

At that the gargoyle did move.  The dark-haired girl didn’t waste a second to charge past it and up the moving staircase.  At the top, she flung herself at the door and threw it open.

“Headmaster!  Oh…”

Dumbledore and the other occupant of the office turned to blink at her.

“Miss O’Feir?” queried Dumbledore.

“Niamh?”

The Slytherin blinked and stared at the other occupant.  It took her a moment to figure out who it was as they looked very different from the last time she’d seen them.

Sirius!” she shrieked.  “What are you doing here!  I told you not to come!

Sirius grinned sheepishly and said, “Sorry, kid.  I had to.  Had to report anyway.”

Niamh fumed for a moment then turned on Dumbledore and said, “Sir!  Professor Snape’s in trouble!”

“Severus?” said Dumbledore in surprise as Sirius’ upper lip drew back in a sneer.

“I always knew Snape was good for nothing.”

“Sirius!” reprimanded Niamh and Dumbledore at the same time.

Dumbledore frowned at the Animagus then turned his eyes upon Niamh.  “What do you mean Severus is in trouble?”

“I was asleep in the hospital wing and I…I saw him!  I saw Voldemort torturing him!  And Malfoy’s father!  I didn’t recognize the others.”

“How did you see them?” asked Sirius.  “Only Seer’s can see that sort of thing…”

“Miss O’Feir is a telepath and empath, Sirius,” said Dumbledore gravely.  “Where were you sleeping exactly?”

Niamh flushed slightly as she said, “By Harry.”

“Where exactly?

“Beside him.”

Sirius arched an eyebrow at that answer but Dumbledore just nodded.  He mused for a moment then asked, “Was one of your hand’s anywhere near his scar?”

Niamh frowned then replied, “I think one was.  I…I don’t know.  Is that why I saw…”

“I believe so,” said Dumbledore.  His expression was very grave as he continued, “This is very grave news.  Voldemort obviously gave Severus a task to do.”

“And he failed it,” said Sirius softly.  He clenched a fist and snarled, “He failed it and now he’s going to leave my godson without a father!”

“No!” exclaimed Niamh.  “He can’t die!  Not now!”

“We cannot conclude that Voldemort will kill him,” said Dumbledore, scowling at Sirius.  “I doubt that Voldemort suspects him of anything beyond failure.”

“And if he does?” demanded Niamh, eyes flashing.  “Sir, Harry wouldn’t make it very long without him.”

“What do you mean?” asked Sirius, leaning forward.  “Harry’s a strong kid…”

“I know,” muttered Niamh.  “But…they depend on each other.  I know you’ve noticed it since Harry’s coma began, sir.  Professor Snape has been snappier than ever.”

“I have noticed, Miss O’Feir.  Do not worry.  We will get Severus back.”

“I hope so,” muttered Niamh.  “I suppose I’ll go now…”

“Want some company?” asked Sirius, rising from his seat.

Niamh just shrugged and Sirius looked at Dumbledore, who nodded.  The Animagus nodded as well and with a subtle pop was a large, black Grim-like dog.  It sidled up alongside Niamh and licked her hand.  The girl smiled and patted the shaggy head before heading towards the door, the dog bounding along after her.

Dumbledore smiled slightly then frowned.  He had plans to make.

And they were going to be difficult.  Very difficult indeed…

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

“Hey, nobody said Sirius was back!” exclaimed Ginny as Niamh and the big dog entered Arx Serpens.

“I just found out,” said Niamh, collapsing into a chair as Ginny patted the dog.  “He just wandered in.”

“Right when we told him not to.  Bad dog!” scolded Ginny.

Sirius gave Ginny an extremely sad look and she sighed.

“I hate dogs.”

Sirius barked at that and Niamh laughed.

“Why’s that?” she asked.

Ginny shrugged and replied, “Because they can give you the most heartbreaking looks in the entire universe, that’s why.  It’s bloody annoying.”

“I’ll go with you on that one.”

Sirius barked sharply and both girls laughed.  Niamh then sobered and whispered, “Professor Snape’s in trouble.”

“What?” said Ginny, dropping her voice to a stage whisper.  “How d’you know?”

“I sort of…well – saw it.”

“Huh?”

“I…”  Niamh sighed and hissed, “I’m a telepath!”

What?

“Yeah.”

“Since when?”

“Well I just discovered it at the end of last year.  I’m an empath too.  Which is really annoying right now as the shock your putting off it giving me a headache.”

“Sorry,” muttered Ginny.

“No problem.  I get a headache just about every day.  Its nothing new.”

“Still sorry.”

“I know.  But anyway…I was in the hospital wing and my hand touched Harry’s head and…and I saw Professor Snape being tortured by Voldemort and the other Death Eater’s.”

“Why?” asked Ginny.

“He failed at something,” replied Niamh.  “Voldemort didn’t say what.  But Professor Snape had six Cruciatus Curses cast on him.”

“Oh Merlin,” breathed Ginny.  “He could be insane by now!”

“That’s what I’m afraid of…”

“Oh Niamh!  What if he is?  What’ll we tell Harry?”

“I don’t want to think about it,” mumbled Niamh, curling up in her chair.  Sirius padded over to her and laid down at the foot of the chair, head on his paws.  Niamh’s hand flopped down and began to stroke the fur along his back.  “I really don’t.”

“So let’s not,” said Ginny, tucking her feet underneath her.  “I’m sure Dumbledore’ll find a way to get him back.”

“I hope so.  For Harry’s sake.”

Ginny just nodded and the two girls fell into silence.  The only sound beyond that was the crackling of the fire or the swish of Sirius’ tail.

There just wasn’t anything they could say.