Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

A Painful Realization

Harry had finished the Dursley's lunch and was headed for the bathroom upstairs to begin cleaning it. Upon reaching the door, however, a hand with a vice-grip came around his arm and pulled him into his bedroom.

After being thrown to the floor and hearing the door close with a soft click, Harry slowly turned to face his attacker.

Vernon Dursley was now towering over him and had an odd sort of glint in his eyes. A glint Harry had never before seen on his Uncle's face.

Before he had time to take cover Vernon bent over and dragged Harry to his feet. He turned Harry around and pushed him over toward the bed.

Vernon pulled a long piece of rope from his back pocket and tied Harry's hands to the foot-board, and then shoved him, hard, on the back, making him topple onto the bed.

Fearing the worst Harry closed his eyes and waited.

A loud crack later he found himself being struck with the metal end of a belt. Vernon's powerful blows were ripping through Harry's rags-for-clothes and into his back, shoulders and legs.

Finally, after what seemed like hours, Vernon stopped. He untied Harry and kicked him in the ribs to knock him over on his backside.

"Boy, you'll be staying here while we're gone." Harry's eyes widened as he suddenly had a thought, but his Uncle continued without much pause.

"We will be meeting Tim and his wife and boy at a resturant in the city and then leaving from the airport afterwards. And you will not be mudding up our vacation! We'll be gone a month and you'll be keeping quiet about this, too, boy," pointing towards Harry's back, "or there'll be hell to pay for certain!"

Harry didn't dare speak, as he knew this would only mean more trouble. He just laid there and waited for his Uncle to finally leave.

With one last kick Vernon left Harry alone in his dark room. He heard his door shut and finally allowed himself to succumb to the calling darkness.

~~~ 

Harry awoke, hours later,  to the sound of six small, but very audible clicks. Realization dawned on Harry and he knew that he was being locked in his room.

He heard his relations leaving and finally the car pulling out of the drive. Harry slowly crawled up to his window to make sure he was alone before looking over to Hedwig, who was perched in the corner on top of his dresser.

'Lucky he didn't see her or she would be dead.' Harry thought.

"H-Hedw-wig." He managed. She flew down and nipped affectionately at his hand.

He knew she was an abnormally smart owl, even for a magical pet, and knew she would do what he couldn't say.

She seemed to understand completely. She flew out of the window and out of sight. Harry just hoped that she could find someone before it was too late. 

As he lay there on the floor, his mind was whirling. He was still bleeding from being beaten by the belt, and he was quickly becoming delirious, making the thoughts get worse and worse.

A painful and overwhelming thought entered his mind: No one would come for him. It was his fault Sirius was dead! He was just getting what he deserved!

And he was locked in his room for a month. With no help coming.

'I won't survive that long." Harry thought, just before falling back into the cool retreat of darkness.