Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

A Hand to Hold Onto

Draco climbed lazily from his bed. The trip to the bathroom proved painful; he tripped no less than three times over his own two feet due to his exhaustion. He’d been up half the night, plagued by bad dreams, the type he never wanted to have again. They all starred Harry as their main character and they were horrible. If he’d thought his waking imagination was bad, his sleeping one was even worse when it came to depicting what had happened to his friend.

He splashed a handful of cold water at his face and cringed as his entire body broke out in goose bumps. The cold water had efficiently woken him up and he found himself staring into the mirror. He looked awful. He wondered how Harry would look this morning. He wondered if Harry got any sleep last night. He wondered if Harry would talk to him this morning, or would he close himself up? He wondered a lot of things. But most of all, he wondered how his friend, his brother, was going to get through this. Harry was strong, but how many times could he be knocked down before he stayed there?

The hallway was quiet as he opened the door and poked his head out. Harry’s empty doorframe seemed to scream out even more desolation when he remembered the reason there was no door. Again he wondered how Harry was going to get through this. He’d talked to Severus last night and the man had told him everything, or he thought he’d told him everything. His godfather had looked worn down and tired in more ways than one. He found himself wondering what all Harry had said.

As quietly as he could manage, Draco tiptoed across the hallway and peered into the darkened room. As he’d suspected, Severus was in a chair beside Harry’s bed, looking distinctly uncomfortable, though he doubted hell nor high water would get him to leave Harry when he was so desperately needed. Not even Cella or Deliverance would be able to pry the man away. Which was good, as the raven-haired boy was going to need all the help he could get.

It was still so hard to think that what happened to Harry had actually happened. Things seemed so surreal, and yet so true all at once. He just couldn’t understand why someone would want to hurt Harry in such a horrible way. He shook his head to keep his thoughts from once again taking a dark turn and proceeded to quietly enter the room. He hadn’t noticed it at first, but Harry was awake. He was, in fact, staring at him with intense emerald eyes, a look in them that made Draco falter.

“You know,” he whispered out.

Draco nodded. “Yes, I do,” he said just as quietly.

Harry nodded and lowered his head. “Do you still want to be my friend?” he asked, pulling the blanket up to his chest. “I’d understand if you didn’t.”

Draco stood shocked for a moment before his head cleared and he realized Harry was turning away from him, looking upset. “Why would you ask such a stupid question?” he demanded. He glanced at Severus and was thankful he hadn’t woken him up.

Harry turned back to him, looking surprised. “I just…I didn’t think you’d want to…” he trailed off, looking confused.

“But why?”

Harry refused to answer. He didn’t want Draco knowing just how screwed up he was.

The blonde sighed and sat down beside his friend. Severus had told him how Harry had scooted away from him when he’d done the same and was pleasantly surprised when Harry stayed where he was. He went further and lay down beside him, facing him. Still Harry didn’t move. He propped his head up on one hand and used the other to mess with Harry’s comforter, and then he looked up and locked eyes with his friend. “You’re my best friend, Harry. No matter what happens, that will never change, I’ll never turn away from you,” he stated emphatically.

Harry still looked skeptical. “Even knowing what you know about me, you still want to be my friend?” he asked hesitantly.

“If anything, it makes me want to be your friend even more. It’s hard to explain really, but you’re really all I’ve got, except Severus,” he craned his head to look at his sleeping godfather. “Without you two, I’m lost. I don’t know how to make you believe me, but you really are my best friend…my only friend. Nothing will ever come between us. You didn’t ask for what happened to you to happen.” Just like I didn’t ask my father to beat the hell out of me, he thought, but didn’t say anything. Getting beat up and getting raped were different things, and obviously, Harry’s was worse.

“No one ever does,” whispered Harry.

“No, they don’t,” replied the blonde. “And, we’re friends, Harry. Nothing will ever cause me to turn my back on you. No matter what happens, you’ll always have me, understand?”

Harry shook his head. “Promise?” he asked.

“I promise,” said Draco, placing a comforting hand on Harry’s shoulder. He removed it upon seeing the uncomfortable look on Harry’s face. He supposed he had gotten away with about as much as he could, just by laying beside him.

“Sorry,” muttered Harry.

“Don’t be.”

Harry yawned, prompting Draco to glance at the clock. “It’s only five,” he stated, surprised.

“What?”

“I thought it was later in the morning, but it’s not. It’s five in the morning, I could so go back to sleep!” he thought, though the actual idea wasn’t all that appealing, especially if those particular dreams came back. Looking towards Harry, he could practically see the same thoughts going through his head. But, the emerald-eyed boy looked completely wiped out. Why hadn’t he noticed it earlier?

“You should go back to sleep,” he stated.

Harry was quick to deny that idea. “No, I’m not that tired.”

Draco scoffed. “Yes, you are,” he stated.

Harry shook his head. “I can’t go back to sleep.”

Then Draco understood. They were both having the same problem, it seemed. “I had a bad dream, too.”

“You did?”

“Yeah…” he trailed off, hoping Harry wouldn’t ask what the dream had been about. As luck had it, he didn’t. Probably because he was afraid Draco would ask about his. “Do you want me to get out of here so you can try to go back to sleep?” he asked.

“No!” exclaimed Harry, and then shot his eyes towards Severus. The man was an extremely light sleeper; he was surprised they hadn’t woken him up yet. “Just…just stay here. If you don’t mind?” he was quick to add. He was scared. And oddly, having Draco right beside him made him feel a little bit safer.

If Draco was surprised by this request, he didn’t show it. “Okay, I’ll stay.”

“Thanks, Dray.”

Draco smiled sleepily. “I told you you’d always have me.”

……………………………………………………..

Severus stared at the two boys. How he had managed to not wake up last night was beyond him, and how he hadn’t heard Draco enter the room was equally beyond him. He was shocked that Harry had allowed his godson into the bed with him, let alone allow him to sleep beside him. He refused to believe he was jealous of his godson. He wished he had been the one to comfort his son, but if Harry had gotten a good night’s sleep, which it appeared he did, he wouldn’t begrudge the boy for helping his son. But, he had to admit, he was rather proud of his godson for what he had managed to do last night while he’d slept obliviously not four feet away.

He stood up and walked over to Harry’s side of the bed. He was sleeping peacefully, Draco was lying practically right beside him, having shifted a bit while in sleep. Harry didn’t seem to even notice the close proximity of his godson and was glad for it. He must feel comfortable. Harry could sense someone coming a mile away and he knew he would have woken the boy up had it been someone he didn’t trust that was that close to him. He very gently ran his fingers through his son’s hair and down his cheek. Harry never stirred, but did turn his head a bit.

Sighing, Severus readjusted his aching spine and went to get ready for the day. He didn’t feel so worried about leaving Harry since he was with Draco and went to his own private bathroom to shower and change clothes. He felt completely wrung out, but not as badly as yesterday. That day had been hell on wheels and he was extremely thankful it was over. Getting Harry to talk had been very draining and exhausting. It had been hard for him to keep it all together, he was actually surprised Harry hadn’t broke down completely during their talk. He supposed that would happen eventually. They’d talked about it, Harry had even cried, but it was something he had to deal with everyday. And he hadn’t even remembered everything yet. What if there was more? What if it was worse? He cringed at the mere thought. He didn’t know what could be worse, and he hoped to all that was good in the world that no more memories were evoked to haunt his son.

Banishing those thoughts, Severus brushed his teeth and washed his hands before drying them on the white towel hanging on the back of the door. Dressed and ready for the day he was surprised to see Cella standing outside his bathroom when he opened the door.

“Master,” she said quickly, looking behind her shoulder as if expecting someone to be there.

“What is it?” he asked, glancing down the hallway, half expecting someone to be standing there with the way Cella was acting.

“The Weasley’s, Master Severus, are downstairs in the foyer waiting for you. They tried to come up themselves, but I stopped them, Sir. What should I tell them?” she asked, wringing her hands nervously as she always seemed to do.

Severus sighed loudly and with exasperation. “Please ask them to wait for me. And tell them NOT to come upstairs!” he stated, emphasizing his last sentence with a raised voice.

“Yes, Sir.”

Cella disappeared, and Severus stood there feeling very irritated. And yet he understood why they were back. He wondered if Fred Weasley had been able to keep their secret or if he’d been pressured into speaking by his parents and family. As he stood there thinking, he highly doubted the Weasley boy would have given up Harry’s secret.

Descending the stairs two at a time, Severus entered the foyer with a stern look on his face. It seemed the entire Weasley clan was standing in his home waiting impatiently to, presumably, see Harry. Stepping off the last stair, he stood before them and waited for someone to speak. It didn’t take long.

“How is Harry doing?” asked Molly Weasley. She was genuinely concerned, especially given that they’d been asked to leave the day before and now they hadn’t seen Harry since the ‘incident’ had occurred. They were justifiably scared out of their wits. What had happened?

Severus calmed his nerves. “He’s doing better today,” he started, and was interrupted.

“Can we see him today, then?” asked Ron quietly.

“I honestly don’t know if he’ll want visitors today. It would have been best if you’d owled me before you came,” he said softly. He realized they were just anxious to see their friend, and that if they had owled, he probably would have just said no. They probably realized this as well, which explained why they were standing in his foyer at ten in the morning.

“You keep saying that, yet you won’t tell us what’s wrong with him!” exclaimed Hermione, coming out from behind one of the twins. He thought it might be George. He hadn’t even realized she was with them. “What is going on? Why won’t he see us? Better yet, why won’t you let us see him? Is he really all right?” she asked, her voice breaking.

Severus sighed. “Yes, Ms. Granger, Harry is fine. He’s just very tired and needs his rest. I do believe you all saw him after he escaped his Uncle’s claws, did you not? He needs some time to himself, to heal.”

Arthur took a step forward. “But why can’t we just see him? Even if he’s asleep upstairs, couldn’t we at least look in and make sure he’s okay? We just want to see him. That’s all.”

Looking towards the stairs, Severus contemplated his options. He knew they had a right to see Harry. They’d known Harry and taken care of him for years before he came into the picture. If it were him in their position, he’d want to see Harry, too.

“He’s still asleep. I don’t want any of you making a noise. I’m not sure how he’d react to just suddenly see someone he wasn’t expecting in his bedroom. I’ll take you up two at a time,” he decided. He just hoped Harry slept through it.

………………………………………………………………..

Ron and Hermione were the first ones allowed to go up with Severus, mainly because they were the ones who were the most adamant that they would throw ten kinds of fits if they didn’t get to see Harry soon. Severus rolled his eyes and allowed them to precede him up the stairs.

“Not a word,” he said as they came up on Harry’s door.

“Yes, sir,” they both muttered quietly.

Ron poked his head inside, but couldn’t see much of anything. “Can we go inside?” he asked quietly.

Severus sighed. “Keep your voices down and step very lightly,” he finally conceded.

“Thank you, Professor.”

At least one of them was polite. It had been Hermione who spoke, and Hermione who entered first. She quietly went up to Harry’s bed, startled at first to see a blonde head and not a dark one.

“Where’s Harry?” asked Ron curiously. “I think we’re in Malfoy’s room.”

“He’s on the other side,” remarked Severus.

Ron and Hermione looked at the older man incredulously. “What’s he doing in Harry’s bed?” he asked.

“I’m not sure, but I assume he has a good reason,” said Snape, a hint of sarcasm in his voice. “Just get a look at your friend and get out.”

Severus was growing impatient, something both teens could sense. Ron moved around to the other side of the bed and was once more angered to see that Harry had his face buried against Malfoy’s side. “He’s going to suffocate him.”

He rolled his eyes again. “I highly doubt that, Mr. Weasley.”

Hermione went to look at what had Ron so concerned. She smiled. “That’s kind of cute,” she said, keeping her eyes from Ron’s lest he yell at her.

The redhead would have replied but Severus took each by their shoulder and guided them out of the room. “You’ll wake them if you get any louder,” he said hotly.

“We weren’t that loud.”

“I saw the look on your face, Mr. Weasley. You were about to be loud.”

Ron didn’t think so, but he wasn’t about to argue with the man. At least they’d gotten to see their best friend. That was all that mattered now. Hermione looked pleased as well.

“Send up whomever wants to go next…quietly,” he stated, standing at the top of the steps. He wanted to make sure the boys were still asleep before allowing anyone else in the room.

Ron and Hermione disappeared around the corner and Severus quickly went back into Harry’s room. He saw that Harry was cushioned up against Draco, and he had to admit that Ms. Granger was right. It did look cute. He was just thankful he was sleeping peacefully with no hint of a bad dream upon his pale face.

He could hear footsteps coming up the stairs and knew he couldn’t stay in the room any longer, or else they’d just walk right in. He wanted to see who was coming and whether there was a chance of them getting loud. Looking out the door he wasn’t surprised to see the twins.

“How’s he doing?” asked Fred quietly.

Severus stared at him for a few moments before motioning for George to go on in the room. George agreed, and with one look at the glare he was receiving, vowed to himself to keep quiet.

“Well?” Fred asked gently.

“We were correct, Mr. Weasley,” he said and watched as Fred Weasley’s face went pale.

The redhead brought his hand up to his mouth and cursed. “I’d hoped we weren’t.”

“So had I.”

“Did you talk to him?” whispered Fred.

”Yes. He admitted it all to me. I won’t tell you everything he told me, as it was spoken in confidence, but he did tell me his Uncle had molested him,” he said hoarsely.

Fred’s eyes went dark and Severus placed a calming hand on his shoulder. “He’ll pay for what he did, Mr. Weasley. There is nothing you can do and I don’t expect you to try. In fact, I demand that you not do anything. Harry will need you, I know you’re a close friend and he is able to tell you things, please don’t do something rash.”

Fred nodded, thankful for the man’s calm. He wondered how angry Severus had gotten when he’d discovered the truth and whether or not he’d had the same thoughts coursing through his brain. Probably so, if his words of wisdom were any indication. “Does anyone else know?” he asked. He’d seen the Malfoy boy lying beside Harry when he’d glanced inside the room. George was standing beside the bed looking a little surprised, but he was just watching Harry sleep, obviously very thankful the kid was all right. Physically, at least, but George didn’t realize the emotional strain the boy was going through.

“Yes, Draco does know. He suspected before I’d even said anything to him. In fact, he brought it up to me. He doesn’t know the extent, as I said before, that’s up to Harry to say. He knows as much as you do, and I’d appreciate it if you could keep this further information to yourself as well.”

Fred looked down the stairs to where he knew his parents and the rest of his family were waiting. “I’m not sure if I can keep it a secret from my parents for much longer,” he said, looking apologetic. “They’re pressing me for information hard enough as it is. When I went home last night, I got the third degree. They’re really worried, Professor Snape. Couldn’t we just tell them a little of what happened? If anyone deserves to know, it’s them. They’ve taken care of Harry when no one else would. They love Harry like a son, and I know they’re scared. And, I think because of my silence, even they’re growing suspicious of what might have happened when he was with his Uncle to make him so afraid to see anyone.”

This complicated things a bit, thought Severus. He understood where Weasley was coming from; he’d thought the same thoughts, actually. He didn’t want to betray his son, but he also didn’t want the Weasley’s to find out in a more frightening manner. It was more than likely they’d witness Harry having a panic attack in the near future. If that didn’t tip them off, he didn’t know what would. And if they insisted on seeing him, they should be prepared for that eventuality. He placed a hand to his temple. When had things gotten so difficult?

“I’ll let them know,” he said quietly.

Fred nodded. “Thank you, sir.”

Severus nodded his head in reply and watched as the teen went into the room. He followed after him and noticed that Harry was beginning to stir. George looked up apprehensively. He knew something was going on with Harry, but to what extent, he wasn’t sure. “Should we leave?” he asked, motioning to the raven-haired boy who was sleepily rubbing his eyes.

Harry realized he was pressed up against something warm, a person, and instantly pushed away, shaking.

“Yes, go,” insisted Severus, and George quickly left the room. Fred stayed, despite the look Severus had sent his way.

Severus didn’t argue with the teen when he realized he planned on staying. Fred knew, and he might be able to help calm his son down. Harry was still shaking rather violently, so much so that Draco had woken up as well and was trying to calm him. He had been surprised to see three forms standing in the darkened room, but ignored them in favor of the shaking friend at his side.

“Harry?” he asked cautiously. He saw two of the people who had been standing in the room come closer to the bed and on instinct he pulled his wand from beneath his pillow. He was still half asleep and all he could clearly focus on was that Harry was scared and there were two people standing in the room with them and Severus was no longer in the chair beside the bed.

“Get away from him,” he hissed.

Severus was actually a bit surprised that Draco had pulled out his wand until he took in the situation from his godson’s point of view. He lightly waved his hand and the room filled with a gentle light. Draco saw his godfather and Fred Weasley standing there and silently lowered his wand.

“Sorry,” he apologized. “What’s wrong with Harry?” he asked. He instantly disregarded either man as a threat; they would never hurt Harry intentionally.

“I believe he grew frightened when he woke up pressed to your side,” said Severus.

Draco frowned. “I move a lot when I’m sleeping,” he said by way of explanation. “I didn’t mean to lay on him.”

“Don’t worry, child, he’ll be fine. Just let him wake up.”

Malfoy nodded and watched as their combined voices and the light made Harry more aware and he calmed down when he realized he was only lying beside Draco, not someone else. “Did I wake you up?” he asked Draco, his voice a mixture of worry and apology.

“No, I’ve been awake for while,” he lied. Harry was always apologizing for waking them up. He sometimes wondered why he did that, but any ideas he had about it weren’t pleasant and all had to do with the Dursley’s being rat bastards.

Harry nodded sleepily and looked up to see his Dad and Fred standing beside the bed. He smiled lightly at the sight of his friend. “What are you doing here?” he asked the redhead curiously. Harry watched Fred’s face as he answered and wondered if he knew the truth as well.

“We came to see if you were all right,” he explained.

Harry looked confused. “We?” he asked anxiously.

“The entire family is here.”

“What?” Harry shook his head. “I don’t want to see them,” he looked pleadingly at Severus. “Dad, make them leave!” he begged, grabbing his hand in his small one. He couldn’t stand the thought of so many people being around him, of them seeing him. They’d know, he just knew they would, with one look at him they’d all know. He cringed. “Please make them leave.”

Severus sighed. He knew this was going to happen, and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley still hadn’t seen him yet. Damn. He’d just have to explain it to the parents, and hopefully they’d be able to reign in their children. He was actually surprised that George Weasley hadn’t sent up the calvary when he’d been sent out of the room. Though, he had been thoughtful enough to realize he might need to leave on his own, but with his twin still up here…he was quite surprised someone hadn’t come up to see what was going on. Surprised, yet thankful. Harry didn’t need to deal with that right now.

“I’ll ask them to leave,” he said quietly, his eyes locked on his son’s.

Harry let out a sigh of relief. “Thank you, Dad.”

Snape nodded. “You two stay with Harry,” he instructed the two teens still in the room.

Fred was surprised he wasn’t going to be asked to leave. Then again, Harry now had a death grip on his own hand, so perhaps that was the reason Professor Snape wasn’t asking him to leave.

…………………………………………..

Severus wasn’t even all the way down the stairs before he started speaking. “Arthur, Molly, might I have a word please?” he asked, motioning with one pale hand towards his study.

“Certainly, Severus.” Molly was the first in the room, followed by her husband, leaving Severus to shut the door as they stepped inside. “Is everything all right?”

“I’m afraid not,” he started, and asked for them both to sit down. This could be hard for them to take. “Harry doesn’t know I’m telling you this, I will tell him eventually, but I would appreciate it, as would he, if you kept what I’m about to confide in you from your children.”

“Of course we’ll keep it a secret. Is Harry all right?” asked Molly, wringing her hands together nervously. “What did that awful man do to him?” she asked, venom in her voice. She had guessed correctly, at least, to the heart of the matter. Vernon Dursley.

Never one to not be blunt, Severus just told them in one swell swoop. It would be quicker and easier this way, he imagined. “Dursley molested my son,” he spat, hardly able to keep the same venom that colored Molly Weasley’s voice out of his own. He didn’t exactly try to keep it out either.

“What?” the two asked in unison, shock painted on both of their faces. “What did you just say?” asked Molly.

Severus sighed. “I believe you heard me just fine, Molly,” he said, not trying to be hateful, but not in the mood to have to repeat himself.

“I thought so…” she trailed off. “I need to see him,” she said suddenly and stood up from the plush armchair and walked for the door.

“I’m sorry, but I can’t let you see him. He woke up a moment ago and doesn’t want to see anyone.”

Molly shook her head. “He needs comfort, Severus. I have to make sure he’s okay,” she whispered, tears pooling in her eyes, yet with the look on her face, Severus wasn’t sure if they were tears of pain or anger.

“Molly, he’s scared. He doesn’t want to see anyone, and if you barge in intent on hugging all over him, he’ll panic. He can’t stand touch right now, please, just give him time and then you can see him,” coaxed Severus.

She nodded, but didn’t look exactly pleased at the idea. Neither did her husband, for that matter.

“Will you keep us informed? I want to know if he’s doing okay. And if there’s anything we can do to help him, please, don’t hesitate to come to us. We’d be more than happy to help,” she said.

“Thank you, I’ll keep that in mind,” he said, though doubted he’d ask for their help unless something unforeseen came up.

“I’ll get the children,” said Mrs. Weasley, heading for the door.

“Molly?” asked Severus.

“Yes?”

“Do you mind if your son Fred stayed for a while? Harry doesn’t seem to keen on letting him go right now, surprisingly,” he asked softly.

Both of the adults looks surprised at this information. “He’s letting Fred touch him?” they asked.

“Yes, he is. He does better if he instigates the touch, which he has in this case, but if someone touches him without his knowledge…well, it’s not something you would want to see, his reaction,” he stated quietly.

“I don’t believe it would be.”

“Yes, he can stay. Just send him back when you’re ready, Severus.”

Snape nodded and watched as the two left the room to gather their many children, minus one. Once they were gone, he headed back upstairs. He saw the boys all sitting on the bed as he stood unobserved in the doorway. He wondered if Harry felt safer with ones his age. It would make sense. After all, he’d only been hurt by adults, he realized sadly.

“Are they gone?” asked Harry softly, and Severus could see the guilt in his son’s eyes for not wanting to see them.

“Yes, they’re gone.”

“Thank you,” whispered Harry.

Severus nodded. “Are you boys ready for lunch?” he asked, realizing it was a little after noon now that everything had calmed down. He noticed Harry didn’t seem to excited about eating, but the other boys seemed eager to go downstairs to the dining room.

Lunch wasn’t a very grand affair, with only sandwiches, fruit and juice, but it disappeared rather quickly. Harry’s stomach was obviously hungrier than he had originally thought it was, though he hadn’t been able to finish an entire sandwich, something Severus was concerned about.

Afterwards the boys all went outside and disappeared inside the woods beyond the lake.

…………………………………………………………..

There were trails in the woods, many which split off and went in three different directions. Harry had never gone into the woods before. Draco had, once or twice, but it had been a while since he’d done it. He couldn’t remember which trail lead where, but he remembered one lead out to a larger source of water than the lake in their backyard. It was fun to just walk down the different paths to discover where they led.

“There’s an old gatehouse out here somewhere,” said Draco suddenly, as he stared at the trees ahead of him. “I’m pretty sure it’s down this path,” he pointed to the left, as the path they were currently on split into two different directions. “If we find it, we could probably fix it up.”

Harry shrugged his shoulders. It would give them something to do, at least. It wasn’t as if there was a lot they were able to do, and once they fixed it up, they’d have a place just for themselves to go to whenever they wanted to get out of the Manor.

“Sounds like a plan,” said Fred. “If you two don’t mind me helping, that is.” He didn’t want to butt in where he wasn’t wanted, and by the look on Malfoy’s face, he was beginning to wonder if he wasn’t feeling territorial.

“Yes, you can help,” said Harry, giving Draco his own look that clearly said ‘back off.’

“Fine, fine,” he mumbled, and stalked off down the path he had pointed in earlier.

Harry frowned after him, wishing he would make friends with his own friends. Fred had given him an apologetic shrug and moved to follow behind the blonde. Harry started after them when he heard the bushes begin to rustle to the right of him. He stopped and waited, expecting to see some kind of animal, possibly a rabbit, and wasn’t disappointed. A rabbit came scurrying out of the undergrowth and flew into the bushes on the other side of him. He turned back when he heard something ‘bigger’ following after the rabbit. Harry tried to get out of the way, but seemed suddenly frozen to his spot, and was therefore thrown off his feet when the larger animal jumped out of the undergrowth and directly onto Harry’s chest.

Harry hit the ground with a loud gasp. He was on the verge of panic, feeling the pressure on his chest, until he looked up into the big eyes above him. The very loving eyes of his dog, and at which point it proceeded to lick his face.

“Zane, this is so gross,” he mumbled around the massive tongue currently attacking his face. “Seriously disgusting…”

He heard laughter somewhere in front of him, and glared in the direction of his friends. “Help get him off!” he insisted, still feeling that tiny twinge of fear wanting to envelope him as the weight settled more firmly on his chest. Zane was more than comfortable on his Harry, but would have gotten up had he sensed extreme fear coming off his boy.

The other two boys had to pry Zane off of Harry, but they finally succeeded and sat down beside the dog to scratch behind his ears. “What’s Zane doing here?” asked Draco, watching Harry carefully. He had thought he’d heard a bit of panic in his friend’s voice before they had pulled Zane off of him, but couldn’t be sure.

“I don’t know. Maybe Deliverance is here?” he wondered out loud, and glanced towards where the Manor would be, but couldn’t see it through the trees. “Should we go and check?” he asked. He missed Deliverance. She would come to visit periodically, but he wished she would stay for longer periods of time. He knew her home on the Island was almost back to normal and that she could actually stay there now, but he wanted her here with himself and Severus, and even Draco.

“Let’s see if we can’t find the gatehouse first,” suggested Draco. “She won’t leave without seeing you first, anyways.”

Harry nodded, and hoped he was right. “All right, let’s find the gatehouse.”

The three boys and Zane set out down the trail once more, this time with no interruptions and it wasn’t too long before they could see what appeared to be the white washed side of a house further up the trail.

“That’s a gatehouse?” asked Harry incredulously.

…………………………………………………….

Severus was in the library, glancing out the window every once in a while to see if the boys were about to return. He didn’t admit it to himself, but he was sitting in the Library for the express purpose of the wonderful view of the woods it provided him with. He’d be able to see the teenagers when they came back, and with the window open, hopefully hear them if they needed any help. He couldn’t believe how overprotective he had become.

He was trying to get interested in a book, but found he kept reading each line repeatedly and never quite grasped what it was saying. He hated when he couldn’t seem to concentrate to save his life. He frustratingly slammed the book shut and would have thrown it across the table had a hand not reached out from behind him and snatched it out of his own hands.

“That’s no way to treat an old book, passed down through the generations, no doubt,” said a voice from behind.

Severus smiled. “It’s not that old.”

”Are you sure of that? After all, it’s in your home. You’re old,” she said, smirking.

“Excuse me woman? I’m in my thirties,” he said haughtily. “How old are you now? Five hundred and sixty?” he asked mockingly.

“Oh, honestly Severus. I’m not that old…I’ll be 320 next year.”

Severus smirked. It felt good to just talk nonsense with his cousin, even if it was about age.

“Hello, Deliverance,” he said softly.

She wrapped her arms around his shoulders from behind and rested her chin on the top of his head. As he was seated, it was much easier to do. “How are you doing, sweetie?” she asked.

Severus shivered. “Oh, do refrain from calling me ‘sweetie,” he demanded.

She laughed and went to sit beside him. “How about dumpling?”

Severus glared. “No.”

“Very well, I’ll leave my little nicknames for Harry.”

“I’m not so sure he’d appreciate ‘dumpling,’ either,” he said with a grimace. “Be kind.”

Deliverance laughed again. “I will,” she said softly. “How’s Harry doing?”

All laughter gone now, Severus rested his chin on his hands and sighed deeply. “We have a problem, Del,” he said softly.

“What’s wrong?” she asked, worried. “Is it Harry?”

“Yes. I think I’m going to need your help on this one. I’m so worried I’m going to do something wrong again,” he said quietly, recalling everything he’d done in the past that had unintentionally hurt his son, he hadn’t meant to, but he had hurt him. He never wanted to do that again, and especially now. He couldn’t afford to make another mistake.

“What is it Severus?” she asked, completely stern and in motherly mode. “Let me help.”

“Harry was sexually abused by his Uncle, Deliverance…” he would have gone further, but Deliverance had gone pale.

The older woman placed a shaking hand to her mouth and glanced down at the table, trying to get her emotions under control. She hadn’t expected that at all. Finally she was able to calm herself and met gazes with her cousin once more. “What can I do?” she asked, determined. She would do whatever she could to help her family through this. She wouldn’t abandon them in their time of need.

“Would you be opposed to moving in here, with Harry, Draco and I, for the time being at least?” he asked.

Deliverance smiled sadly. “Of course, Severus. You know I will.”

“Thank you. As for the rest, I suppose we'll deal with it as it comes. Harry’s a little withdrawn now, but I fear he doesn’t remember everything yet, and that things might get worse.”

This last statement confused Deliverance, Severus could tell. “What do you mean he doesn’t remember everything yet?”

Severus quickly explained what had happened with Harry’s repressed memories and the fact that Harry himself had said he didn’t know all of it. “Oh, dear,” she whispered. “We’ll have to plan for just about anything in that case.”

The two spent the rest of the afternoon talking about the situation and what they planned on doing in the case that Harry somehow remembered something else unexpectedly. They didn’t stop talking until they heard the door slam shut downstairs and Zane barking excitedly.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks go out to my beta-reader! Nita!

PLEASE REVIEW?