Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Jupiter

Harry stopped where he stood, rooted to the patio floor. He gazed up into his father’s worried and upset eyes and instantly felt horrible for staying gone for so long.

“Where were you?” he asked again, coming out onto the patio with Harry.

It was just an instinct to shrug, but Severus did not look too pleased with that answer. And he said as much. “That doesn’t answer my question, Harry. We’ve been worried sick! Do you know how long you’ve been gone?”

Harry just stood there, unable to fully comprehend how upset his father was with him. It hadn’t been that big of a deal to him, but to his father…it apparently had been. “I-I was just at the gatehouse,” he mumbled pathetically. He noticed now that his godfather, Remus, and Draco were standing in the hallway behind his Dad. He found himself wondering how upset they were with him as well. They didn’t look too pleased, either. Great.

Severus dropped his hands to his sides, looking extremely displeased. “All you’ve done lately is hide away from us, child. That’s going to stop,” demanded Severus, and Harry immediately took a defensive stance. Which, as it turned out, wasn’t the best idea either.

Zane had been standing behind Harry, and when Harry got upset…so did Zane. The Rottweiler was suddenly growling fiercely and showing his teeth to Snape, and the entire group inside the house took out their wands, worrying for their own safety, as the dog wasn’t letting anyone get near Harry. It was kind of sweet if you weren’t on the receiving end of it.

Harry knelt down and grabbed his dog around the neck, pulling Zane against his side. “Knock it off, boy,” he said, calming the dog down immediately. He looked up at his father and shrugged apologetically. “He’s been like that lately, sorry,” he muttered, glancing back down towards the Rottweiler, his gaze avoiding any one else’s.

Out of the corner of his eye, Harry saw his father start to kneel down in front of them. Zane started to go tense again and the small teen tightened his grip. Looking up, Harry finally met his father’s gaze. He was afraid he’d see anger or disappointment in them, but all he saw was love and concern. He sighed and the tension that had filled him without his knowledge started to fade out of his limbs. “I’m sorry, Dad,” he finally said softly. “I just wanted some time to myself. I had Zane with me,” he added, as if he would count as not being alone. “And, there was this man.”

“What man?” asked all four of them at once.

Harry nearly sputtered at them. “Mr. Winchester. He lives in a manor nearby, he said. He was really nice,” he added at the over-protective looks now adorning the men’s faces. Harry sighed.

His father looked a little disconcerted at this news. “I know to whom you’re referring, but I’ve never met him before. He’s a Muggle, and his manor is about a mile or so to the east of here. How did he come to be on our land?” he asked.

Harry frowned. “I don’t know. He was just riding his horse, Jupiter. They apparently come by this way a lot when they’re out riding. He said he’d never seen the gatehouse before now, and he’d been past that spot tons of times,” he explained. His father looked concerned. They all did, actually.

“Did he ask you about it?” asked Sirius, finally stepping out onto the patio with the rest of them.

“Yes.”

Severus sighed. “Damn. What did you tell him?”

“That it had been covered in vines and that Draco and I had just recently found it ourselves. He believed me,” said Harry, hoping they weren’t going to go and Obliviate the man or anything. He was looking forward to going and spending time with Jupiter. If they Obliviated him, that could prove difficult.

There was a collective sigh of relief. “You’re sure he bought your explanation?” asked Remus, his inquiring mind needing more information.

“Yes. He pretty much forgot about it after that any ways. Zane almost attacked him,” said Harry without really thinking about it.

“What is up with that dog of yours, Harry? He’s been attacking everyone lately!” exclaimed Draco, speaking up for the first time.

Harry shrugged. “He’s just being defensive, I think. And out in the woods with Mr. Winchester, I had tripped and fell and he was leaning over me. I know I was a little scared, and Zane just was suddenly standing over me and growling at him. He just gets like that.”

Sirius nodded. “I’d venture to say he considers you one of his pups. He can sense your emotions, and if you’re frightened or upset, he’ll try to protect you,” he explained, having a little more canine knowledge that the rest of them. “I can completely relate with him when I’m in dog form.”

Harry just nodded, because obviously, he had no idea what it felt like to be in a canine form with protective tendencies. Though he was glad he had both of them to protect him if the need arose. Hell, the way his family had been acting lately, he’d have an entire houseful ready to defend him if it came down to it. Not that he’d do any less for them, though.

“So, tell me about this man you met? If you need me to, I can set up wards that won’t allow him to get close enough to the gatehouse again. If it would make you feel safer.”

Harry didn’t want his father to do that, but it felt nice that he’d do something like that for him just to make him feel safe. “No, it’s all right. He invited me to come over sometimes to see Jupiter, his horse,” said Harry, a grin forming on his face. “You should see this horse, Dad. It’s gorgeous.” Harry knew none of them were too convinced of Jensen’s intentions where he was concerned. He assumed they thought he was some type of Death Eater wanting revenge for his master’s demise. But, Harry didn’t think so. He knew that he wasn’t, in fact. The man was genuinely a good person and Harry figured he’d just have to prove it to his family.

“So, can I come inside now?” asked Harry, since he’d still been standing outside and there was a definite chill starting to set in, even if it was summer.

“Yes, let’s get inside. You haven’t even eaten supper yet, young man,” started Severus, and Harry cringed a bit, hoping he’d have gotten out of the lecture from staying out late.

“Yeah, I am a little hungry,” he replied slowly.

The kitchen was warm and toasty after being outside in the cool night air and Harry soaked it in. The table was set for all of them, and Harry knew a moment of guilt for having made everyone wait to have their supper just because he hadn’t paid attention to the stupid time. “Sorry, I didn’t mean for all of you to wait to eat,” he said hesitantly. “I wouldn’t have minded if you’d eaten without me,” he added, feeling more and more horrible all the time.

“We didn’t want to eat without you,” said Draco, grabbing onto Harry’s arm and bodily moving him into his chair. “Sit, eat, be happy.”

Harry waited until everyone else was seated as well before lifting his fork and stabbing it into the mashed potatoes before him. He finished before everyone else, he’d never had a big appetite for obvious reasons. Afterwards he sat at the table and waited while everyone else finished their dinners. It seemed as soon as the others realized he’d stopped eating their attention turned towards Harry. Lovely.

He threw the napkin he’d been using down on the table and made to get up. He thought his room would be a nice place to be right about then. Turns out though, that his father had something else in mind.

“We need to talk about this still, Harry. Why don’t you keep your seat.”

Harry slumped back down in his chair. He wasn’t sure he wanted to stay for this conversation, especially not when everyone was sitting there watching him. He felt gawked at and he honestly didn’t think it was that big of a deal. He’d stayed out a little late. It wasn’t even past eleven o’clock yet. But, he had to admit he could see where they were coming from. Even if he didn’t like it.

“If I’m going to get in trouble, could we discuss this in private?” he asked, crossing his arms over his chest and trying to look defiant. He had a feeling he wasn’t pulling it off too well.

“You’re not in trouble,” interjected Sirius, and Harry had to wonder how he knew what his father was thinking. Or if Sirius just didn’t think Harry should be in trouble, either. Harry would have to side with his godfather in that case.

“No, you’re not. Though, I am a bit disappointed that you keep running off like this,” added his father, making Harry want to sink even further into his chair. He didn’t think he could feel any lower than he did at that moment. It wasn’t like he set out to do things his father would rather he didn’t do. It just felt right at the time. He had a right to have some time to himself, didn’t he? Harry sure thought so.

“I didn’t go out there intending to stay out so late!” Harry tried to defend himself. “It wasn’t on purpose! And, I wasn’t trying to keep away from you either. I just wanted some time to myself! What’s the big deal?”

Severus sighed, looking frustrated. “It’s a big deal because you’re spending more and more time on your own! What are you thinking about? You can’t let this eat away at you, as I suspect you are!” exclaimed his father, his hands in the air.

Harry sank even further into his chair, wishing the damn thing would swallow him whole. This was entirely way too embarrassing. He hadn’t wanted to do this in front of everyone. Guess his opinion didn’t matter for much. “I’m not doing anything wrong, Dad! I’m going to my room,” he stood up and didn’t wait for anyone to stop him. He flew up the stairs like the devil himself was chasing after him.

It wasn’t until he was upstairs and inside his bedroom that he found himself wishing for his door. He never thought the day would arrive where he wanted his door back, but that day had come. And he wanted it. He wanted to lock that door, with himself inside of it. It would be different if he were in control of the lock and not someone on the outside. He made a note to ask his father about it later. But definitely not now, his Dad would never let him have it if he knew the reason he wanted it so badly.

Flinging himself down on his bed, he waited for someone to come up after him. He figured it wouldn’t take long. Only, it wasn’t the person he thought it would be when someone finally came into his room.

“What are you doing up here? Where’s Dad?”

“I managed to make him stay downstairs, actually. Are you all right?” asked Draco. Harry watched as the older teen came and sat beside him on the bed.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” answered Harry immediately. He unconsciously drew his legs up to his chest as Draco sat beside him.

The blonde sighed. “What were you doing out there that you took so long in coming back?” he asked curiously.

“Nothing, really. I started to clean the place up a bit, and then Zane took off out the door. That’s when I met Jensen and Jupiter,” explained Harry.

“And he was really okay to you?” he asked, picking at something that wasn’t there on the comforter on Harry’s bed. “I mean, he was nice?”

“Yeah. He was really nice. You’d probably like him, too.”

Draco nodded distractedly. “Just, don’t go out by yourself anymore, okay?”

Harry groaned. “Why the hell not?” he asked, getting defensive. “Why are you all trying to keep me stuck in the house? I thought you wanted me to get outside and stay out of my room! Would you all make up your minds and leave me alone!” Harry tried to get up, but Draco grabbed his arm and forced him back down.

“Stop acting like we’re all out to get you!” yelled Draco. “We’re just trying to keep you safe, you idiot!”

Harry stopped struggling against the bigger teen and went still. “I am safe,” he said softly. “I know none of you would let anything happen to me.”

Draco scoffed and frowned. “Oh yeah, like we kept you so safe from your Uncle?” he asked harshly.

Harry cringed, going completely still. He couldn’t quite stop the shudder that racked his thin form, causing the Slytherin to stop what he was doing to look at the younger boy. He looked slightly ill when he realized what he’d said.

“I’m sorry, Harry! I didn’t mean to just blurt it out like that…” he trailed off, the look Harry must have had on his face keeping words from forming on his lips. “Harry?”

“No, just leave me alone,” he said quickly, climbing off the bed. “I don’t want to talk about it.”

Draco went after him. “You never want to talk about it. You haven’t said a thing to anyone about what that bastard did to you!”

“And I don’t want to either! And I sure don’t plan on starting now!” he yelled, storming from the room. Or he tried, at least.

Severus, Sirius, and Remus were coming up the stairs, probably having heard Harry and Draco’s argument from down in the kitchen. Harry stopped, basically trapped between 3 men and one very upset Draco. “Stop running from us! Because we’re not running from you!” yelled Draco, making so much sense in that moment that Harry hadn’t realized until just then that he’d been feeling just that. He was scared to death his ‘family’ would dump him after all of this. The fact that they hadn’t didn’t seem to be sinking in, though.

All the emotion, the anger that had kept Harry going seemed to drain out of him. He felt like he’d just deflated, and wanted nothing more than to sink to the floor.

“Harry? What’s going on?” asked Severus, looking a little confused. Draco was coming out of Harry’s room at that point, and had his hands on his hips, looking rather irritated. But the concern on his face kept Harry where he was instead of running like he so desperately wanted.

“It’s nothing,” said Harry softly, looking at his ‘brother’ so closely he imagined the other teen could feel his eyes boring into him. “We were just talking.”

“That was pretty loud for just talking, kiddo,” Sirius added his two cents worth for the conversation and waited patiently for a reply. Harry wasn’t very forthcoming. But Draco was more than happy to state his opinion.

“I said something about the…incident,” Harry noticed Draco was giving the three men significant looks, and they all seemed to get it at the same moment. “And he started to run away again! You can’t blame me for getting a little heated,” he explained.

Harry was beginning to feel a little suffocated and tried to slip past Remus on the stairs. The older man had been watching Draco, and Harry thought he just might be able to get past him. No such luck.

“Where are you going, Harry?” asked Remus, his arm snaking out and grabbing hold of Harry’s.

“Downstairs.”

“Why?”

‘To get away from all of you,’ he thought miserably, but didn’t dare say it out loud. “I…” he started, but couldn’t think of a good enough excuse. He decided to go with the truth. “I don’t think I’m ready to talk about this.”

“What’s to talk about? Why don’t you just listen to what we have to say?” asked Sirius, moving around a bit so Harry didn’t feel so confined. “We just want you to feel safe and happy, kid. If you’re constantly hiding away from us, we’re obviously doing something wrong.”

Harry shook his head emphatically. “You’re not doing anything wrong!” he yelled suddenly, taken by surprise. “I just wanted to be…alone.”

“Why would you want that, child?” asked Severus. Harry had almost forgotten he was even there and his sudden voice nearly made him jump.

“I don’t know! I just…I feel like…like…” he trailed off. It was so damn hard to explain. How could he explain it? He threw his hands up in the air and a loud sigh escaped his lips. “I just want to be normal again! And it seems like you’re always watching me, waiting for me to break down or something! And, I’m not going to! I’m just fine! And…and, I-I don’t want you to be disappointed in me!” he nearly screamed. He was panting by the time he was finished venting. And then he realized what he’d just let slip and knew his face must have gone pale.

Severus looked dumbfounded. “Why would we be disappointed in you?” he asked, reaching out to lay a hand on Harry’s shoulder. The small teen quickly moved from within reach and backed into the wall.

“Because I’m disgusting!” he yelled, the hatred of himself suddenly coming back ten fold. He wondered suddenly when he’d gone against his decision not to talk about this.

“The hell you are!” yelled Sirius in return. He obviously hadn’t meant to get quite so vocal though, and toned it down. “You are not disgusting. None of us think that!”

Harry wanted to go. He wanted to be as far away from his family as he could get. Why didn’t they understand? He kissed fight goodbye and went straight to flight. He tried to at least; he hadn’t been very good at it that day, though. Severus had him by the arms before he’d so much as thought of going down the stairs. “Where are you going?” he asked.

Harry balked at him. “Let go of me,” he said, trying to wrestle free. “I’ll just make you dirty too!” he yelled. If anything, his father gripped his arms harder after that.

“You will do no such thing! You are far from disgusting in my eyes, young man. And you will not get us dirty, because you’re not dirty.”

Harry shook his head. “You don’t understand!” he yelled, struggling more valiantly. But it was in vain. His father was much stronger than he was and easily kept Harry in place.

“I think I understand more than you realize,” he whispered by Harry’s ear. “Now, please, just calm down. We’re getting nowhere if we don’t discuss this.”

“That’s the point! I don’t want to discuss this!” he ground out, teeth clenched tightly together, as he tried once more to break free of his father’s strong hold. “Let go!”

“Harry! Would you stop it!” exclaimed Draco. He couldn’t see him at first, but then the taller blonde was standing in front of him and looking at him with worry in his eyes. It was something Harry couldn’t stand to see. He went limp in Severus’ arms, and almost fell out of them. Snape quickly realized what was happening though, and pulled his son more firmly against his chest.

“Are you calm now?” he asked.

Harry felt anything but calm. He couldn’t tell them that, though. “Yes.”

“Do you think we could sit down and discuss this?” asked Sirius, motioning with his hand towards the stairs. Harry just nodded dully. He knew he wasn’t exactly in control of this situation any longer.

They ended up in the living room. It was a room Harry didn’t spend a lot of time in, but it was comfortable and had a cozy air to it. Cella was asked to bring in some drinks and arrived shortly after they’d all sat down in their respective chairs. Harry picked the chair beside the fireplace and farthest away from everyone else. Not only did it offer warmth, but also a sense of seclusion. He didn’t feel quite so vulnerable. There was an afghan draped across the back of the armchair, and Harry pulled it down and around his shoulders. He didn’t know why, but he was suddenly chilled to the bone, despite the suddenly roaring fire.

“I’m not sure where to start with you, Harry,” stated Severus in a calm voice. “I’m not entirely sure of what’s going through that head of yours, either. But, whatever it is, you’re wrong.”

Harry looked anything but reassured. “You wouldn’t understand,” he mumbled.

“No, you’re right. I don’t understand. I have no idea what you went through, but I’m your father. I know you’re hurt and scared. I know you’re confused and don’t know how you feel right now, that you don’t want to talk about this, and that you just wish it would go away. But it’s not going to and we need to do something about this. You can’t go on the way you have been. It’s not good for you, and quite frankly, you’re really starting to scare the rest of us,” admitted Severus quietly. “Please, just let us help you.”

Harry shook his head. “You can’t! Don’t you get it?” he asked, his voice pleading with something he didn’t quite understand himself.

“Why can’t we help you? Why can’t you help yourself by letting us help you?” asked Remus.

Harry just started shaking his head again, almost violently. “I just can’t,” he said. “I don’t want to talk about it. And I don’t want you to have to hear about it. It’s my problem,” he shuddered and pulled the afghan more firmly around his shoulders.

But he wanted to talk about it. He wanted to get it out and let someone else help him with the hell he had found himself standing in. There was a long silence before Harry spoke again. “How could I have just let him do that?” he asked, his entire body taut with tension.

“What?” asked Sirius; completely staggered at the words Harry had just spoken. “Where the hell did you get that notion?”

“It’s true!” defended Harry. “I’m more powerful than all of you put together! You know I am! And I couldn’t even stop him!” he screamed, suddenly throwing the blanket off his shoulders and flinging himself out of the chair. “I-I need to go take a shower,” he said so suddenly that no one even moved to stop him until he was halfway across the foyer.

“Harry stop!” yelled Severus, going after his son. He grabbed the boy’s shoulders, but Harry yanked free.

“Don’t touch me! I’m dirty!” he choked out, running for the stairs now. He almost made it, if it weren’t for the arms that were suddenly surrounding him and holding him firmly against his father’s solid form.

“Stop running,” he whispered in Harry’s ear. He turned around the resisting form and took Harry’s face gently into his hands. “Look in my eyes,” he ordered.

Harry didn’t really have any other choice but to look. The hands holding his face were limiting movement and he found himself looking straight into his father’s eyes. He didn’t see the disgust and anger that he was expecting to see though. He saw love, concern, fear, and a little bit of anger, but Harry could tell it wasn’t directed at him. “I don’t find you disgusting. I don’t think you’re dirty. What happened to you was not your fault! You did not let that bastard do anything, Harry,” said Severus emphatically. “He hurt you in a way that no person should ever hurt anyone, but especially not to a child. And you did stop him! Your magic is still raw and uncontrollable, but you managed to do it, my son. In the midst of that horrible experience, you were able to draw on your magic to defend yourself,” he moved his hands down to Harry’s shoulders and gave him a gentle shake. Then suddenly brought the boy into the protective circle of his arms, hugging him fiercely. “I love you so much, Harry.”

All Harry could do was hang on to his father. He’d been expecting for so long to be shoved aside. He’d stupidly thought his family would suddenly realize how truly disgusting he was. He’d been so afraid they’d be ashamed of him, and he’d no longer have anyone. How wrong he’d been.

Harry was dimly aware that it was only himself and his father in the foyer now, and for that he was strangely grateful. He didn’t want the others to see him like this, not when he was so emotional he was sure he’d break down and cry at any given moment. But he’d seen the looks in their eyes as well; he didn’t disgust them, either.

It was like a million ton weight had been lifted from his shoulders. He suddenly felt like he could breath again, for the first time in a long time.

It didn’t change the way he felt about himself, but knowing he wouldn’t be abandoned at the drop of a hat made it more bearable. He hoped that with time, the still lingering horror and emotional pain of his experience would fade away and he wouldn’t find himself dwelling on it at the most unexpected moments. Knowing his family stood by him no matter what…was a gift he knew would never be taken away.

………………………………..

“What are you guys doing here?” asked Harry, jumping down from the counter he’d been standing on in the gatehouse’s kitchen. He landed wrong on his ankle and nearly went sprawling to the floor. Luckily for him, Fred and Ron had come closer when they’d seen the precarious spot Harry had gotten himself into and were there to catch him.

“We came to see if you wanted any help to finish fixing this place up. We never really got started on it last time, and it seemed rude to just ignore the fact that we had said we would,” said Fred, still holding onto Harry’s arm as he jiggled his foot around to get the feeling back into it after his near fall. “Is it okay?” asked Fred, starting to bend down to inspect the boy’s ankle himself.

Harry stepped away. “Yeah, it’s fine. I think it just went numb from me sitting on it for the past ten minutes,” he explained, pointing up to the windowsill. “We decided to paint today.”

Harry and Draco had come out early this morning to get started. And it had actually been Draco’s idea, which had shocked the life right out of Harry. He thought it might just be a way for them to spend some time together and away from the three men who had taken up residence in the house. It seemed Sirius and Remus had decided to stay on for a while. Harry didn’t mind, but he didn’t think his father was too thrilled with the idea.

Draco came pounding down the stairs and into the kitchen. He skidded to a stop, the smile that had been plastered on his face slowly slipping away. “What are you two doing here?” he asked, his voice harsh.

“We came to help,” stated Fred calmly, the only one who was. Ron looked about ready to spit nails at the blonde.

“We’re not fighting,” demanded Harry, though his voice was as calm as Fred’s had been. “Everyone is here to help and we’ll get done a lot faster if we work together.”

Ron and Draco stared at each other and a look was passed between them. They both suddenly nodded and the tense air that had filled the room was suddenly gone. Harry wondered what had just happened between the two of them. It had just been too bizarre. Like they’d called a truce or something. Well, he was never one to look a gift horse in the mouth. “Let’s get started then. I’ll finish what I was doing in here. Did you get done with the upstairs?” asked Harry, his gaze now settled on the blonde. The upstairs wasn’t nearly as bad as the first floor was.

“Almost. I’ve just got two more walls to finish and then we can start down here,” he said conversationally. “Would anyone like to help me? Then we can all focus our efforts on this monstrosity,” he said, his eyes taking in all that was the first floor. “It’s going to take forever.”

Ron shrugged. “I’ll help you,” he said. Draco nodded and the two swept up the stairs, both talking amicably to the other.

Harry stared after them. “What was that?” he asked slowly.

Fred was looking as confused as Harry, though. “I have no idea.”

“I’m almost afraid of the two of them working together. Should we supervise?” asked Harry, his face showing clearly that he was about to run upstairs after them.

“No, I think they’ll be okay. They’re probably trying to get along for your sake, actually. I’d bet neither one of them are willing to give up your friendship and have decided to call a truce. I really wouldn’t worry about it. Besides, we’ll hear them if they actually start to get into a fight,” he said.

Harry nodded. He had the feeling the next continent would hear their down right screaming fits if they really got started.

The rest of the kitchen was easy to finish painting once Fred started to help him. And, they had the extra benefit of Fred being allowed to use magic. They were finishing what was probably the most abused part of the house when Draco and Ron came back downstairs, neither one looking like they’d gotten into a fight.

“How’d it go?” he asked casually. He was still shocked by this turn of events.

“Great. We got the last two walls painted. And I see you got the kitchen finished. I thought it would take the longest,” said Draco, a stunned expression on his face. Then he looked towards Fred and he put his hands on his hips. “Hey! No fair that you get to use magic!” he said, but his tone was one of joking, so no one took it the wrong way, like before.

“Just wait, the time will soon come and you’ll get to use magic legally, as well!” insisted Fred, hoping his little brother wouldn’t blow a gasket like he had before.

Harry sighed. “You’ll all get to use it legally long before I will,” he moped.

Ron grinned. “Harry, you’re like what…3 months behind me? It will happen sooner than you think, I promise.”

“Yeah, I suppose so,” he sighed once more, then grinned. “I’m just sulking. Let’s get on with this, or we’ll never get finished by supper time,” he added. He still felt bad for the night before, having made everyone wait to eat. It was something he had very personal experience with, and he never wanted anyone to go hungry because of him.

The rest of the afternoon was spend on the first floor, fixing it up, painting, and even Fred transfigured a nice, net carpet out of a dry leaf for the living room.

“Wow, this looks much better,” said Ron, looking around the living room in awe. “This is going to be like having our own house!” he exclaimed.

Draco rolled his eyes, but was grinning just a little bit. “I wonder if Severus will let us all sleep out here some nights?” he speculated out loud.

“I don’t see why he wouldn’t,” intoned Harry, his back turned from the others as he positioned a chair in the corner of the room.

“Well, he’s been wanting to keep you close, for obvious reasons,” said Draco, not really thinking of his words.

“Yeah, I’ve noticed that.”

“He only does it because he worries about you.” Draco said softly.

Harry shrugged his shoulders. “He doesn’t have to.”

“I think we’d all beg to differ,” muttered Draco under his breath. Harry figured he wasn’t suppose to hear that and ignored it was said.

“Let’s just head home,” interrupted Harry. He was tired anyways, and ready to go home. “Are you two spending the night?” he asked of Ron and Fred.

“Do you mind if we do?” Fred asked.

“No.”

Fred looked towards Draco, making it obvious that his opinion was wanted as well. He looked surprised. “No, you can stay. We could all stay in my room, if you wanted?” he asked.

Harry looked more than happy, which caused everyone to agree. “Sure.”

The walk back to the Manor was a quiet one. Harry could hear Zane somewhere in the woods and called to him. The dog came barreling down the trail not two minutes later, and nearly knocked Harry clear off his feet. Fred, for the second time that day, caught Harry and kept him upright. “You have balance issues, short stuff,” he said jokingly.

Harry frowned. “Only when I’m getting knocked over!” he said jokingly, but was feeling a little defensive too. “I’m not that short.”

He saw Ron, Fred, and Draco all look at each other, gauging each other’s sizes apparently, then they all looked towards Harry. He blushed, as they all looked down at him, not at eye level, and definitely not up. “You just keep telling yourself that, Harry,” they said.

“Sure, make fun of the short person,” he grumbled under his breath. He wasn’t really all that upset about it, but he didn’t exactly like to be reminded of it. And it wasn’t as if he could help it. He’d been starved as a child…stunted growth was a side affect.

Right as they were getting closer to the edge of the trees, where the lake was, Zane took off running into the underbrush.

“Damn it, Zane!” he yelled, surprising the others with his language. “I’ll get him,” he said and rushed off after the animal before any of the teens could object.

…………………………

“Zane, I’m going to kick your arse when I find you,” he said heatedly, having lost his way half an hour ago. He wondered if Draco, Fred, and Ron had gone to get his father yet. He assumed they had. He glanced down at his watch, thankful for having put it on that morning, and noticed it was past suppertime. He felt that tinge of guilt start in the pit of his stomach until he almost felt like he would throw up. He was fairly certain no one would be eating their dinner until he was home with them to eat it as well. Not that he wanted to eat after all of this anyways. He was as far from hungry as one could get.

“Zane!” he yelled for the seemingly hundredth time that evening.

All that answered him was the noise of the wind rustling the leaves on the trees. He felt a chill go through him at the sound, not sure why he suddenly felt so frightened. And alone. He wished now that one of the others had managed to catch up with him when he’d run off.

“Come on Zane, it’s time to go home!” he yelled louder, hoping to all that was good in the world that the dog would suddenly show up in front of him. He didn’t, and Harry continued walking in what he hoped was the right direction to get back home. A good hour had passed by then, and he was beginning to get cold as well as frightened.

A slight rustling in the bushes a few feet from his right made him jump. “Zane?” he asked softly, a slight tremor in his voice belying his brave front. Nothing emerged from the bushes and he hoped it had only been the wind. He walked further up a trail, only to realize he wasn’t exactly on a trail so much as a beaten down path in the grass and trees. He hadn’t been this far into the forest, he suddenly realized, and shuddered.

He turned around to go back in the other direction only to come face to face with something rather tall with large eyes. Harry screamed at the top of his lungs. Then took a deep breath and screamed again as the thing in front of him reared back. Harry stumbled over something he couldn’t see on the ground and fell over backwards, the breath suddenly knocked out of him. His eyes slammed shut, that feeling of ‘if I can’t see you, you can’t see me’ kicking in. He tried to get up only to realize his foot was trapped in an exposed and twisted root, presumably what he’d tripped over in the first place. This was becoming way too familiar, he realized and groaned. He had more important things to deal with, though, and valiantly pried open one eye to look upwards at the seemingly humongous form standing over him. Then he blinked. And let out a long breath. “Jupiter.”

The horse came closer then, the voice something he recognized, whereas the screaming had probably frightened him just as much as he had frightened Harry.

Jupiter lowered his head down to Harry’s and stared him in the eyes. “Hey, Jupiter,” he whispered softly. He was surprised when the horse actually lowered himself down even further to rub his face against Harry’s cheek. On instinct, the boy wrapped his arms around the large head and hugged him. He actually felt safer now that he was with the great brown horse.

Pounding footsteps suddenly brought Harry from his relaxed stupor and he was suddenly pulling vainly at his stuck leg. Not only was it trapped, but he was fairly certain he’d really sprained his ankle this time when he’d fallen. He was half frantic when a man emerged from the woods and into his area.

“Harry?” asked a voice he recognized immediately. He didn’t know why he’d been so scared, it could only be a few people who would be in these woods, but he’d been terrified nonetheless.

“Jensen,” he said carefully, his voice strained now that he was sitting still and he realized how much pressure he’d put on his ankle to get free. “I’m stuck.”

The tall man set down his gun and started working to free the boy’s foot from it’s trapped position. Harry stared nervously at the rather intimidating gun.

Jensen shrugged. “I heard you screaming from my Manor. I didn’t know what was going on, but you scared the hell out of me,” he said by way of an explanation at Harry’s look.

Harry cringed. That probably meant that his father and everyone else had heard him too. They must be hysterical by now!

“I have to get home. If you heard me, then so did my father and brother!” he said, trying to stand once more, but fell heavily to the side as his ankle gave way beneath him.

Jensen cringed as well. “They probably would have. Come on, kid. I’ll give you that ride now, eh?” he asked, and carefully swept Harry into his arms before gently tossing him onto Jupiter’s back. Harry waited patiently as Jensen climbed on behind him but stiffened perceptibly as the man’s arms came around him to pick up the reigns. “Are you okay?” asked Jensen worriedly.

“Y-yeah. Just fine. I’m good,” he rambled on pathetically, causing Jensen to peek his head down to look at the boy in front of him. Harry could feel his eyes on the top of his head.

“Harry?” he asked softly, gently tapping Jupiter’s sides to get him to move. “You were only screaming because Jupe scared you, right?” he asked nervously. “Because you’re about as skittish as this guy was when I first got him,” he said heavily, his hand stroking down Jupiter’s mane to emphasize who he was talking about.

Harry stilled. “Yeah, he scared me to death,” he said quickly.

Jensen sighed but spurred the horse into a steady gallop. Harry looked around and realized they were on a dirt road he’d never seen before. But he could see Snape Manor looming up before them, and the steadily growing alarm that had been filling him dimmed. Jensen was taking him home.

“Who are they?” asked Jensen as they passed out of a small line of trees and entered into the back yard where he could see his father, his godfather, Remus, all the Weasley’s, and Draco standing on the back terrace. Apparently they had called for backup. Shite.

As Harry watched, he saw Severus look over and notice them.

“Harry!” he bellowed, and to Harry it looked almost as if a wave of people were heading in their direction.

“Hmm…”started Jensen slowly. “They look kind of menacing,” he said softly, and held on to Harry tighter as Jupiter rose up on his hind legs, kicking out at the group that had suddenly started towards him. “Whoa, Jupe!” he called out, gently rubbing the horse’s mane. Harry took to doing the same thing and instantly Jupiter was calm. “You still amaze me, kid,” said Jensen, referring to Harry’s instant way of calming the brown animal.

Snape was instantly at the side of them as Jupiter came down on all four legs. “Harry,” he started anxiously, giving Jensen what could only be the ‘death’ glare. “Come down from there.”

Harry started to pull his leg over to the other side so he could slide down but a sharp pain flared up in his ankle. He let out a strangled whimper and started to tip over the side of the horse. He tried to grab hold of something, but he was afraid he’d hurt Jupiter if he grabbed hold of his mane. Suddenly arms were wrapped around his waist and his chest and he was hauled back up on the horse.

When the pain faded, he realized his father and Jensen were yelling at each other and Jensen wasn’t allowing Severus to take him. “He’s hurt you asshole!” yelled Jensen, pulling Harry closer to him.

“If you don’t give me my son right now!” yelled Severus, stepping ever closer, but every time he did Jupiter would snap his teeth at him. Harry knew his father would be reluctant to pull his wand, but he could tell Sirius and Remus had theirs in hand, but only one who knew them well would realize it.

Harry had gotten the feeling that Jensen thought someone was hurting him before when he’s first found him. And the way he was being down right defensive now told him he thought it was one of these people before him, and most likely his father. Now that he could see straight and the pain wasn’t making him nauseous, he tapped Jensen’s arms.

“Yeah, kiddo?” he asked, bending forward to see Harry’s face.

“They didn’t hurt me,” he whispered so only Jensen could hear. He said it with blatant honestly and Jensen’s face immediately relaxed.

“Sorry I thought they did,” he whispered in return. Then he pulled one foot around Jupiter’s body, and with Harry wrapped securely in his arms, he slid down to the ground. He walked straight up to Severus, who was watching him warily, and Harry instantly reached out to him.

His father took Harry into his arms and held him like a child. Harry normally would have been embarrassed as all get out, with everyone watching, but he didn’t have the strength or energy at the moment to care. “Are you okay?” his father asked anxiously. He held Harry tighter. “We heard you screaming,” he said louder, giving Jensen a look that said explain or die.

Harry didn’t give him the chance. “Jupiter snuck up on me and when you run into something that big in the dark, with glowing eyes…you’ll scream too,” he said helpfully, watching as everyone looked towards the extremely large horse and understanding lit their eyes.

“You’re sure that’s all that happened?” asked Severus. It was plain to see that he didn’t trust Jensen at all.

“Yes. Jensen heard me screaming too, and came to help me.”

Severus nodded and was suddenly giving Jensen a grateful look. “Then, I thank you, Mr. Winchester.”

“You’re welcome. I’m only sorry Jupe gave him such a fright.”

“And we’re just glad it was only the horse,” muttered Sirius, looking very tempted to take Harry from Snape’s arms, but just barely keeping himself from it.

Jensen stayed long enough to realize that Harry felt quite safe with these people before mounting Jupiter and riding off.

Then, Severus carried Harry inside and sat him down in the first chair he came to. “Is it your ankle?” he asked, taking Harry’s injured leg in his hands as he started rolling up the pants leg.

“Yeah,” he said, resisting the urge to knock his father’s hands away. He waited as the man started muttering spells and then pulled a vial out of his robes. He swore his father was just prepared for anything. As he rubbed the ointment into his ankle, Harry suddenly remembered the reason he’d run out into the woods in the first place. “Did Zane come back?” he asked.

“Yes. Without you, might I add,” stated Draco, his face looking distinctly paler than was normal.

Harry shrugged apologetically. “I’m sorry. He just disappeared,” he looked at the others in some confusion. “What are you all doing here?” he asked, as Molly and Arthur Weasley struggled through all the people hovering at Harry’s side.

“Fred fire-called to let us know what was happening when they didn’t come home at the designated time. We were so worried we came to look as well. And then you came riding up with that man,” explained Molly. She’d finally gotten closer and was running her fingers through Harry’s tousled hair. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

“Yes, I’m fine,” he muttered, beginning to feel embarrassed now that everything had calmed down.

Severus had finished with his work by then and Harry stood tentatively. His ankle didn’t hurt at all anymore. “Thanks, Dad,” he whispered softly.

Afterwards, Molly and Arthur went back home, but allowed Ron and Fred to stay over so long as they behaved and did as Severus said. Mrs. Weasley had given Harry a huge hug, and kissed his cheek. “You come visit us soon, okay?”

Harry nodded and resisted the urge to wipe his face off. It was just a kiss.

Severus, Sirius, and Remus wished them all goodnight and they started up the stairs. When Harry was halfway down the hall, he stopped to go to the bathroom. “You guys go ahead, I’ll be right there,” he told the older teens. They did so and Harry quickly went about his business. When he came out, he could hear his father talking about Jensen Winchester.

Tip-toeing back to the edge of the stairs, he tried to listen in on what they were saying.

It was hard to hear, as they were talking so low, but Harry got bits of the conversation as they headed into Severus’ study.

“Is he a Muggle?” asked Sirius, his voice so low Harry could hardly hear him.

“I’m not sure. But, I don’t trust him, not around my son.”

“Do you think he hurt Harry, tonight?” asked Remus, and Harry could tell, low as his voice was, that Remus was mad.

“I honestly don’t know. But, I don’t like the way he keeps popping up when Harry’s by himself. It just doesn’t feel right,” he muttered to himself, and then the door shut behind them and Harry couldn’t hear anything else.

He sat at the edge of the stairs, wondering why his father seemed so against the man, when Harry himself was certain he was as far from evil as one could get. He didn’t dare ask his father, or he’d let it out that he’d been eavesdropping. He didn’t plan on getting in trouble, either. He shrugged his shoulders, and headed back to Draco’s bedroom.

There was only one thing he could do. He’d ask Jensen himself.

Chapter End Notes:
Please review!