Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

The Future

Everyone watched in horror when the twins fell off their brooms – but their fall stopped at a height of a metre above the ground, where they were hovering next to each other, which caused everyone to let out a relieved sigh.

When Albus said, “Thanks Merlin that my grandchildren are such powerful wizards and know when it is time for accidental magic!” everyone laughed with relieved expressions on their faces.

With the huge family they had, the twins received many presents for their birthday, but the best present apparently were the brooms. Although Annette still could not walk properly and always had to grasp either her brother or the furniture to toddle after Cian, after a few days, they were able to fly perfectly on their little brooms.


Nearly two years later, the twins’ baby brother Aidan was born, and as the twins were nearly three years old, Harry and Ginny had to think about what to do with the twins during the daytime. Troublemakers like their godfathers as they were, it would not be safe to leave them alone in the playpen with Baby Aiden.

“Granny, I have an idea,” Harry told his grandmother, who threw an amused glance at her great grandchild. “What?” Harry asked confused.

“Oh, it’s nothing. I just had to laugh, because normally you get your good ideas when you are ill and confined to bed, but you haven’t been ill now for at least two years, therefore I did not expect you to have an idea,” Minerva teased him, and Harry scowled.

“Anyway, what do you think of founding a kindergarten at the Primary School? We could take our twins there, and I am sure there will be more people with small children between the age of three and six who would like to bring their children. Let alone at Hogwarts, the son of Anna and Neville will be two next month, and in a short time, she won’t be able to take him to her lessons, because he won’t be quiet enough. Hermione and Ron are expecting twins in a few weeks, and Julia told me that she and Brian would probably get engaged shortly. We only need one teacher to look after the little ones while we are teaching.”

Immediately after the summer holidays, the Hogwarts kindergarten started to take place at the Primary school, where the castle had added a third floor, on which Harry had organized everything the kindergarten would need. He had asked one of his favourite seventh years’ students before she finished Hogwarts in June if she would like to become the teacher for the small ones, and she had happily agreed.

Only a year later, he had to hire another student, because the children’s number already exceeded the capacity of only one teacher. Minerva had asked Bobby, Dobby’s little brother, to care for the kindergarten, and he happily complied, making the kindergarten into a paradise for the little ones.


By the time, the twins were old enough to attend Hogwarts, they had three more younger siblings apart from Aidan: Patrick, who was five, and the two-year-old twins Niamh and Evelyn. Julia’s child Harold completed the children’s Quidditch team.

Although Julia’s husband Brian, who had been Harry’s best friend in the new time line, was working at the ministry and had to floo there every day, the little family was living at the Snape quarters. Therefore, Harold practically grew up as a sibling to Harry’s children, especially as he was at the same age as Patrick, and the two boys were bosom friends.

Harry was anxiously watching the sorting of his two oldest children. During the last years, Minerva and he had talked to the Sorting Hat several times, but without much success, and in the meantime, Merlin House was twice the size of the other houses. Where would his children be sorted? Of course, Ginny and he had both been in Merlin House, but in his old time they had both be in Gryffindor, and as he was the heir of all four founders, theoretically his children could be sorted into any house. Finally, both were sorted into Merlin, and when Harry asked them later what the hat said, Cian confided,

“The hat told me I would fit in every house and I could choose my house.”

“Yes, it said the same to me. Therefore, I chose Merlin,” Annette agreed, and Harry laughed.

“It let you choose! This hat is incredible. Maybe we should abandon it and let the students choose,” Harry said a little upset and shook his head.

Of course they did not abandon the hat, and Harry’s other children were all sorted in the same way. Fortunate for Patrick, his ‘twin-like’ best friend and cousin Harold was sorted into the same house.


By the time Harry’s children finished Hogwarts, Harry had invented so many new classes and courses at the Primary School as well as at the Hogwarts main school that all of his children stayed at the castle to teach one or the other subject – just like Julia, Marina and Violet had already been teaching for a few years. They all had their own quarters, which they accessed through the Snape living room – the centre of the large family’s life.

Harry remained very busy, but his health had become quite good and he didn’t fall sick anymore just because of being tired. Moreover, he was very content with his life. The time he had lived in his old time line still had an influence on him, and he remembered well that at that time, he had wanted nothing more than having one family member of his own. Far away in his mind, he still could see his own eleven-year-old self, standing in front of the mirror of Erised. Therefore, he appreciated it very much to have such a huge, loving family and was really happy.

Albus retired on his 200th birthday, when Patrick had just finished Hogwarts and was able to follow in his footsteps as teacher of the Primary School. In the future, Albus would stay at their quarters, watching his many ‘grandchildren’ until they became of age to go to the Kindergarten. Fifty years later, Minerva decided to join her husband. On Harry’s 100th birthday, she approached Harry.


“Harry, I would like to speak to the ‘birthday boy’ for a few minutes.” Harry laughed and threw her an inquiring glance until she continued, “You know how old I am, and you know how old Albus is. I would like to retire as headmistress and spend the remaining years together with Albus and Poppy, who retired two months ago, when your great granddaughter Lily finished her healer’s apprenticeship. All three of us will of course stay here at Hogwarts if you don’t mind and will look after the many little ones in the castle.”

“Of course you can stay at Hogwarts forever. It is your home, just as it is mine – although it is not for me to decide this, but I don’t think anyone could refuse you this.” Minerva threw him a grateful glance and continued.

“Harry, I want you to become the new headmaster.” Harry was so surprised that he jumped out of his seat and said,

“No! Definitely not. You know that Dad has been your Deputy Headmaster for many years, and he should take this position.” Minerva sighed.

“I thought you would say that, Harry, but in fact, your father turned me down and suggested you as headmaster. He loves his potions too much to give them up in order to take this position. I know that you love your work as well, but as headmaster, you will find your own ways to work together with your students, and I am well aware of the fact that you will handle this position very differently from how Albus and I did. You are free to do as you like.” When Harry looked at her with a very indifferent expression on his face, she added,

“Instead of being a father to the Merlin students, you would be the grandfather of all Hogwarts students – is this so bad?”

“No, of course not,” Harry answered, laughing. “All right, Granny, if you think I will be able to fill in this position properly, then I will do it. Who will be my deputy headmaster here and at the Primary?” Minerva let out the air she had not even noticed that she was holding it. She had wanted her favourite grandchild to agree so badly that she was very happy she had been able to convince him.

“The deputy headmaster is for the headmaster to choose of course. You have to choose someone you are able to work together with. However, I would suggest you let your father continue as your deputy, as he has the experience you are still lacking. Concerning the Primary school, it is up to you of course, but if you ask me, I would recommend either your sister Julia, your friend Hermione or your grandchild Mary.”

“Alright; of course I would appreciate having Dad as deputy here, and I will ask Julia to become my deputy at the Primary school,” Harry said immediately. “Maybe I should ask little Albus, my other great grandchild, to take the position of Transfiguration professor and Head of Merlin; he will still be a seventh year this year, but I can continue to do my normal work for a year, can’t I?” he added pensively, and his grandmother agreed immediately.

“Yes, Harry. I will not leave you alone immediately. You can teach your normal classes and ask little Albus to help you with the grading – provided that he agrees to take over from you – and join me as much as you can in order to take over my position as smoothly as possible.”

When Harry agreed, Minerva called Twinkle and asked him to bring Severus, Julia, and little Albus to her office, so that Harry could make his suggestions to the three people he chose to take the three positions that had to be covered. Fortunately, all three of them agreed immediately.

“Now,” Minerva continued, “as this is all settled, I suggest that we go to the Great Hall. I believe a huge birthday cake is waiting for us on the Head Table.”

As soon as they entered the Great Hall, a big firework sparkled from 100 candles, which were placed on a huge cake in the form of Hogwarts. At the same instant, about 100 voices shouted,

“Happy Birthday Harry!”

THE END

The End.