Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Enjoy!
After the Selection of Champions

Harry Potter, the youngest Triwizard champion in history, sat in front of the large mahogany desk in Headmaster Dumbledore's office. Glasses too small, shoes big, and hands fiddling nervously with the edge of his robe, Harry was waiting awkwardly for Dumbledore to return after speaking with the three real champions.

It had been about an hour ago when the Goblet of Fire had spit out his name from its magical flames. Poor Harry, dumbfounded and confused, was whisked from the Great Hall with all of its accusing stares by Dumbledore and now sat in his office, given instructions to stay put until the Headmaster had returned.

Harry's eyes stung slightly as he remembered Ron's betrayed stare and the condemning force from of every Hogwarts student that had been eligible to compete in the tournament.

But he hadn't put his name in, he tried to tell them. I didn't put my name it!

Harry let his head slump forward, only to snap it back up as the door to the office creaked open.

Dumbledore, along with a very irate Professor Snape, entered the room. Dumbledore swept forward and perched on the front of his desk facing Harry.

"Please have a seat, Severus." Dumbledore chuckled, eyes twinkling and gesturing towards the second chair beside Harry. "There's no need to be looming above us, might as well be comfortable."

Snape lowered himself into the chair silently, glaring all the while at Harry, as though it was his fault in the first place that Dumbledore was making him sit.

Dumbledore turned his eyes back to Harry and examined him through his half moon spectacles. "Are you all right, Harry?"

Harry's hand worried at his robes even more and shook his head.

Dumbledore leaned forward slightly and gave a concerned expression. "What's wrong, my boy?"

"I-I didn't put my name in." Harry whispered, frightened at the prospect of being condemned for something he didn't do. Sirius' imprisonment came eerily into his mind's eye. "I swear it, Professor. I didn't put my name into the Goblet... you have to believe me!"

"Of course I believe you, Harry." Dumbledore said, his eyes twinkling. "I have no doubts that you wouldn't be able to put your name in because... if I do say so myself, my charms are quite foolproof."

Harry stared blankly at Dumbledore. "You believe me?"

"Certainly!" said Dumbledore, folding his hands in his lap.

"But- but how can you be so calm about this!" Harry said frantically, his thoughts chasing each other at a dizzying rate, "You said it yourself, people die in this tournament! I'm not brave or clever like the other champions... I never asked for this!"

Harry was dimly aware that it was becoming hard to catch a breath. Black spots danced in front of his eyes and the room seemed to slide out of focus.

"Severus!" said Dumbledore sharply.

Harry felt his head being tipped back slightly, and a hand came up to massage his throat into swallowing a sour liquid. Snape loomed in front of him, his eyes searching Harry's.  Harry suddenly realized his chair had been swiveled around to face Snape's. Dumbledore was surveying him with concern.

"Get a hold of yourself, Mister Potter." Snape sneered at him, sliding the potion bottle back into his robes. "Nothing is going to happen to you."

"Professor Snape is quite right, Harry." Said Dumbledore, sliding off the desk and kneeling next to Harry's chair. "Now, I believe that it's high time you got some rest. I've already informed Madame Pomfrey that you will staying the night, and my door or any other Professor's," he glanced at Snape, "will be open should you wish to talk. Use my fireplace to get to the infirmary."

Harry, who had finally regained his senses, nodded dumbly and glanced over at Snape. Green flames leapt up in the grand stone fireplace at his words, and Harry took that as his signal to leave.

"Thank you sir." Said Harry in a defeated sort of voice, before he was whirled up in the fire and disappeared.

Dumbledore sat in the chair that Harry had occupied and pierced Snape with a determined stare.

"Severus."

Snape straightened. "Yes, Headmaster."

"Watch over him during this tournament." Dumbledore said, leaning back slightly. "You don't have to be open with him, but please keep watch. Something isn't right... something is missing from the puzzle."

"Of course, Albus." Snape said, his black eyes staring at the crackling fire.

"Thank you."

Hogwarts did not sleep well that night.

Chapter End Notes:
Hi guys! This story will have 5 parts... and I'll try to get them up as soon as possible. Please review! They really help me get inspired.