Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
In which Snape is pissed off.
Chapter 3: So...You Don't Trust Me?

 

"Severus will be here soon and then we will discuss what is best to be done," came Dumbledore's voice.

"I don't trust Snape. Why did he not know of this attack?" came another person's voice.

Snape was, of course, one to stand listening at doors, but he never really bothered at Order meetings and conversations like these were more common than not, so he promptly entered and took pleasure at the discomfort his presence brought to some of the Order.

The Headmaster had fire-called him not ten minutes ago to attend an emergency meeting but had not said what the meeting was about. He did note, however, that there was more wariness and sadness? than his arrival normally garnered, so it was with great curiosity that he took his usual seat.

Albus Dumbledore may, at times, appear to be a doddering old fool to those he wished to fool, but he was not. In fact, he was quite capable of facing nearly any challenge. But today, he looked very old. It was something in his eyes, something that made Snape wary. Something bad had happened. Albus sometimes would beat around the bush when dealing with matters with two exceptions. He never wasted time when the situation was dire and he never wasted time telling Snape what the problem was. Snape wouldn't appreciate it.

Severus had rarely seen the Headmaster look so grave and when he spoke, his voice betrayed the same emotion as the face.

"Severus, not much more than three hours ago, Harry Potter was taken from his home by Death Eaters. We have gathered from witnesses that he and his guardians had argued and that he was sent away. Apparently, the Death Eaterss knew of the guard, for the moment that Harry left his home, the guard members were stunned and Harry was captured. We know no more than this."

Dumbledore's speech had moved Severus to his feet, though his face, as always, betrayed nothing. Albus had said it all very brusquely, but Severus now understood the attitude of the others at the meeting. They thought he had betrayed them in some way. When he had first heard Dumbledore say that Potter had been captured he had felt a strange sort of panic, but he had quickly crushed that feeling. Fools who panicked were fools who would die. Anger was giving way to his panic and surprise, now that he fully understood what the rest of the Order was thinking. Had he not warned them?

And on cue, Remus Lupin, who in his fear and grief lost all appearance of gentleness, rose to face Snape.

"Well Snape, we all want to know how you could not have known about such a significant plan, when you seem to know so much else. Do you claim to have known nothing about this?" Remus ended in a scream. He had just lost Sirius and now he was faced with losing Harry. He felt his heart would break if anything happened to that boy, and he couldn't control his fear, not like Snape.

Snape would normally have been all too happy to put the wolf in his place, but before he could decide how to respond to the fool with his heart on his sleeve, Dumbledore interrupted in a stern voice. "Remus, Severus is on our side, as he has proven time and again. This meeting is not a trial, we are here to decide on how to act. Now Severus," Dumbledore said to Snape, not giving him time to interrupt, "Can you tell us anything that might shed some light on these events?"

Despite the arguing and regardless of whatever the order expected him to do or say, Severus already knew what had to be done. It had always been his decision, when to end his role as a spy. Oh, if he could, he would act in a way that would continue that role, but such did not seem likely now. It did not matter to him what the others thought, nor whether they would agree with his decision or not. His mind had been made up a long time ago. He had been protecting Potter for years. At first, it had been done out of a sense of obligation. He was a student after all. Now, it seemed like he couldn't do anything else but save the brat. It was hard really, for anyone to put so much effort into ensuring the safety of a person without taking at least a little interest in their life. Snape was not so much removed from humanity that this wasn't the case with him. He didn't like Potter, but he'd be dead before he did nothing to save him.

If it had merely been a matter of saving the boy who lived, prophesied to kill the Dark Lord, he would have no trouble going about securing his freedom, with deliberate care, even if that meant taking his time and allowing quite a bit of torture for the boy in the interim. He did, after all, take his other responsibilities seriously. He was in a position to save lives and it would take a lot for him to give that up. But Snape did not really believe in prophecies. He did not see Harry Potter as a weapon, but as a boy, a very foolish boy, but a boy none-the-less; a boy whom he had already invested much of his time in. He knew that he had only one option, not because he would be forced, but because he could do nothing else. He would save that boy and he would do so as quickly as possible so that he would suffer less. He didn't know now whether that panic he had felt had been because of worry for the boy, or from worry over his success in the attempt he would now have to make, but it hardly mattered. His mind was made up and now all he had to do was address the Order and then get to it.

Looking at all of the Order in turn, Snape began. "As I have said on numerous occasions, the Dark Lord has always had spies at Potter's residence. And as I have also said before, these spies were instructed to be invisible unless they found an opportunity to act. I have also been very clear that the Dark Lord is more organized this summer than last. I am, therefore, more surprised that your guards," he sneered the last word, "were so easily overwhelmed, than I am by the attempt by the Death Eaterss." This had all been said in a very soft and silky voice, reminiscent of an adult speaking down to an errant child. And it seemed to have the same effect on the Order members as it would on said child. While Severus delighted in the reaction his speech had, he was much more interested in action, so he continued after only a small pause.

"I do not believe that this attack was specifically and wholly planned for this time, but rather, is the product of preparation in the event that such an opportunity arose. The question now is whether Potter is alive or not." At this, several people sucked in a breath and a few sobbed. Severus ignored the fact that his stomach had flipped when he said that and ploughed on. "On this note, I believe that Potter is most likely still alive. The Dark Lord has stated before that Potter might have his uses alive, especially since he does not know the extent of the prophecy. The question then comes down to the Dark Lord's pleasure in causing pain, which in Potter's case, is what we should hope takes precedence to finding Potter's secrets."

Then abruptly and before anyone else could respond, he began giving instructions. Talking about Potter being in the Dark Lord's grasp had somehow brought home to Severus the dire need for speed. He didn't have time to argue or explain his reasons for what he was about to say. He just needed it done.

"I expect I will be summoned soon. If Potter is dead, I will inform you immediately." Bile rose in his throat but he ignored that too. "If he is not however, it may be some time before you hear from me. I cannot give you a time, for I do not know how close I will be allowed and care must be taken if I am to be successful. Albus, it would be best if you had a watch put on my normal apparation point outside of Hogwarts. They should be prepared for the event that either I, or Potter is injured. Tell Pomfrey to be ready. She knows what is needed, she's dealt with this before. I will..." but anything else he might have said was cut off by the burning in his arm. It was time.

"I am being summoned now. Be prepared Headmaster."

Albus knew that Snape would do this before he had even come to the meeting and he was proud and relieved that he could rely on Severus, but he was also very worried for both the man and the boy. "We'll be ready for you but, Severus, be careful, please. I don't want to lose you either." Severus had never really allowed Albus to get too near him, but Albus would not be stopped. He grabbed Severus' shoulder and pulled him into an embrace. It only lasted for a moment but it made everyone in the room stop what they were doing. Severus had, for once, allowed it. Even returned it, although very stiffly. He knew that Albus was fond of him and fond of Potter. He could not deny the man a last embrace. Indeed, he could not deny himself that. After all, he very well might not live through this.

When Severus pulled away, he did not have time for any more speeches or warnings or wishes. He merely nodded and said, "I'll be careful." Then he swept toward the door.

While he had been talking, the Order members became aware of what he was proposing. He was going to go in there and get Potter out himself. There was no other choice anyways. Only Snape had access. They also knew that this might cost them their spy, but even those who were not close to Potter thought this a reasonable price to pay to get him back.

Remus' mouth was hanging open. He had been watching Snape carefully after all. He knew what Severus was proposing to do and realized that, like always, he trusted Snape to do it. Which made him feel embarrassed for his outburst earlier. When Snape grabbed his arm and stopped talking, Remus knew that this was it. He was placing all his hopes on this man, who he had only moments before been screaming at. Remus had been the only marauder to actually trust Snape back in the old days. He even felt bad about how they had treated him, really bad. And now, he realized that Snape, who had saved Harry's life before, might die in the attempt to do so again. He had seen something in Snape's eyes when he had talked about Harry's death or torture, something that had wiped the anger and distrust right out of him and replaced it with fear and hope all at once. When Albus had hugged him and he had returned the hug, he had realized just what this might mean for Severus. Traitors to Voldemort could expect something much worse than death. When Severus swept toward the door, Remus realized what he had to do. It wouldn't really change anything but he had to do it anyway. So he reached out and grabbed Snape's arm gently as he passed. Snape spun towards him but held his adrenaline in check.

"What is it, Lupin?" he snapped with teeth bared.

"Severus, I am sorry. Be careful"

Severus felt the urge to punch Lupin in the face. It would be so easy and no one would be able to say a word because he had to leave. But something made him pause. Lupin was a wreck. And Lupin was placing all of his hope on Snape's shoulders. So instead of punching Lupin, Severus had mercy and shrugged off the apology. But he could still not ignore the despair in Lupin's eyes, so maybe what he said next was to console himself as much as the wolf before him. It was far from what others might have said in the situation, but coming from Snape, it seemed right and gave everyone in the room more hope than they had dared before. If Snape could be his normal sarcastic self in this situation, then it couldn't be that bad right?

"Lupin, your inability to make a connection between your brain and your mouth is not surprising. And do spare your concern for the bloody boy-who-will-not-die. Trust that I will not allow the Dark Lord to take Potter's life when I have promised myself that particular honor. Now, move wolf, before I give into the temptation to make improvements to your face with my fist."

Remus, of course, took this in his normal way, which is to say, he allowed himself a rather large smile. He wasn't stupid enough to press his luck though, so he removed the temptation of his nose and watched as Severus passed him. That was the Severus they all knew and um...loved...or not, and Lupin let just a little of his despair go. Snape had never failed them before after all.

Albus watched the exchange with no small amount of amusement. But when Severus walked out the door, the twinkle in his eye disappeared. Severus never made a big deal out of danger. But Albus was very worried. He took only a moment to let the worry consume him, and in that moment, the rest of the Order realized just how much Albus trusted and cared about Severus Snape. Then he pulled himself together and in no time at all, a watch was sent to Hogwarts and Madam Pomfrey was contacted. Now all they had to do was wait. Those that had no other pressing duty went to Hogwarts to wait. Albus, after seeing to other order business, Apparated right to Severus' normal apparation spot, fully prepared to stay there until his boys came home to him, no matter how long it took.

Severus walked out of the door, cursing himself for throwing away his opportunity to punch Lupin. Even if he hadn't always been so bad, he was still quite irritating. But those thoughts could only keep his mind occupied for a few seconds. He mentally braced himself as he did every time he was preparing to Apparate to the Dark Lord's side. He always knew that to stumble in the Dark Lord's presence would be to fall, so despite the urgency he felt to get to Potter, he took the time to clear his mind of deceit. Then, without a backward glance, because only sentimental fools did that, he Apparated to the Dark Lord's side. What he saw when he Apparated made him want to cry out and start cursing everyone in the room, but he was much too good at what he did to do that. In fact, he was so good, that he allowed a smile to curve on his lips before bowing before his ‘master' and let out a laugh when he heard Potter yell, "Traitor!"

Chapter End Notes:
Snape should be on stage, yes? How's my writing?