Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 2: Visiting the Headmaster

The two men rode the revolving staircase up into the headmaster’s office. As soon as the steps stopped moving, they headed towards Dumbledore’s desk, where the older man was surrounded by stacks of parchment. He looked up from whatever he was working on and a huge smile creased his wrinkled face. His eyes twinkled merrily as he exclaimed, “Ah my boys! What do I owe the pleasure of this visit? And Harry, why are you not still at your aunt and uncle’s house?”

Severus merely nodded at the old man while Harry said, “Hello Headmaster. We are here because, well…” Harry’s voice trailed off. He wasn’t quite sure how to describe the situation he found himself in.

Severus looked at Harry in exasperation before beginning his explanation. “We are here because we share a similar dilemma. We both woke at dawn this morning to a rather… shall we say… immense pain throughout our bodies. I was about to come up and inquire about said pain when this…child,” he spat, “came launching himself through my door. When he did so, the pain ceased.”

Albus looked shocked for a millisecond before his normally twinkling gaze resumed. He steepled his hands under his chin and looked thoughtful. “Hmm…Well, this is a rather interesting development. How did you get here, Harry?” he asked calmly.

Harry looked a bit sheepish. “Flooed through Mrs. Figg’s fireplace.”

Albus nodded sagely. “Good thinking. Tell me about this pain,” he questioned, looking at Harry.

Harry shuddered in remembrance. “Easily ten times worse than the cruciatus. I don’t know what would have happened if it hadn’t stopped when I entered Professor Snape’s rooms, though.” Harry paused, thinking. “It’s funny, but I almost felt… pulled to his rooms,” he finished, pointing at Severus.

Albus looked surprised at this. Suddenly the twinkle in his eyes brightened.

Severus’ gaze narrowed and he stared at the headmaster suspiciously. “What is it?” he growled.

The old man just smiled brighter. “I think,” he said in an amused voice, “that you two have been bonded somehow.” His words ceased as two cries of “What?!” echoed through the office. He continued his speech as though nothing had interrupted. “Yes, indeed. It must have been spelled to begin at dawn on Harry’s sixteenth birthday. Happy birthday, by the way,” he added to Harry.

Harry beamed at him. “Thank you sir. But,” his look changed to one of confusion, “who would have bonded the professor and I? And why?”

The twinkle in Albus’ eyes dimmed a little. “I’m not sure of the who or the why right now, Harry. Perhaps Voldemort, though I couldn’t begin to guess at his reasoning. Perhaps to get you, since you will not be able to be apart from Severus without causing both of you pain. So if he called Severus, Severus would have to bring you along and he could kill one or both of you. How he knew this more than 16 years ago, though, I have no idea.”

The two “bondees” were stunned. “That makes sense,” Severus muttered. He heaved a great sigh. “I suppose this means my spying is over,” he grumbled, already knowing the answer.

Albus looked troubled at the thought of losing his only spy. “Yes, dear boy, I am afraid it is. Unless Harry went under the invisibility cloak…” The words trailed off and Severus looked at the older man angrily.

“Are you crazy? No way. No, he is not going to a meeting and that is final! I do not want him to see what happens.” The last of his words were whispered and Harry had to strain to hear them.

Harry was beginning to see his professor in a new light. He knew that spying was an extremely dangerous job and very important. He stared at Snape for a moment, trying to figure the man out. What a hard life he must live! Having to constantly watch his back, always worried he might slip up… It couldn’t be easy to do. He put a hand on his teacher’s knee and spoke quietly. “Thank you for what you have done all these years, Professor.”

Severus nearly jumped out of his skin when he felt the hand on his knee. He was not accustomed to being touched, especially in a caring way. He couldn’t believe the words that had just come out of the brat’s mouth. ‘He’s thanking me?’ he thought incredulously. ‘No one ever thanked me for spying. Ever. Hmm… Maybe there is more to Harry Potter than meets the eye.’ He shook his head to dispel the strange and slightly disturbing thoughts. To cover up his discomfort at the touch, he abruptly stood up and snarled at Harry, “Kindly cease from touching me, Mr. Potter. Now if that is all, Albus?”

The Headmaster looked at the two of them and nodded briefly. “For now. We will need to get together later to discuss this in greater detail. I am afraid, Severus,” he went on, “that Harry will have to spend his evenings in your rooms, at least until we can figure out if this bond can be blocked.” He eagerly awaited the younger man’s response. It was sure to be a doozy. To his disappointment, however, Severus merely nodded, resigned to his fate.

“Fine,” the potion’s master growled. “Good day,” he said, nodding to the two remaining wizards before he swept out of the room.