Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter or any of the characters. I am merely borrowing them for my and your amusement.

A/N: This story is post HBP, so if you haven't read that book and don't want to know how it ends, do not read this story!

Thanks for reading!

Chapter 1: A Beginning

Harry Potter was laying on his bed in #4 Privet Drive when he heard low, urgent whispers outside his bedroom door. It didn’t sound like any of the Dursleys, but the almost 17- year- old didn’t care enough to go investigate. Truth was, he didn’t care much about anything these days. He had been at the Dursley’s house for 6 days. Dumbledore had been dead for 10. Dumbledore was dead! DEAD! And Harry couldn’t do anything to save him. He had stood there, frozen like a statue, watching Snape kill the beloved old wizard. Snape! He seethed just thinking about the man. He was a traitor! He'd murdered Dumbledore!

I will kill him! Harry fumed silently. As soon as the anger came, though, it was replaced by grief. Great, bone- crushing grief that weighed him down until he felt he couldn’t breathe. His mentor was gone forever… how was he supposed to find the Horcruxes on his own? He didn’t have a clue where to look! The one adult in his life who had always helped him, listened to him, and cared about him was gone. He was alone. Again.

Alohomora.” The word was whispered outside the closed door and Harry jumped out of bed, frantically scrambling for his wand. Where was it? Where… The door creaked open, revealing two figures in black, hooded robes. Harry jumped back in surprise, falling onto the bed when he crashed into it. He put his hands up, knowing he had no way to defend himself against these two Death Eaters (for that is the only thing they could be, Harry thought). Bugger! his mind shouted at him. Death Eaters and I can’t find my wand! The taller of the two figures spoke. “Petrificus Totalis.” With that, Harry found himself immobile, unable to move or speak. He looked at them in horror, wondering what they were going to do to him. I guess I’ll get to see Voldemort a lot earlier this year, he mused mockingly. Before his thoughts could go further, the taller figure told the shorter one to shut the door. He immediately did so. Both figures turned to look at Harry’s still figure before lowering their hoods. Harry gasped. “Hello, Potter.” Harry knew the voice and the face only too well. Severus Snape, the man Harry had despised for four years and who had murdered Albus Dumbledore. Next to him stood a boy Harry’s own age that he disliked almost as much as Snape: Draco Malfoy.

Harry could not believe his eyes. What on earth were the two people Harry disliked more than anyone in the whole world- except Voldemort… and his uncle… and… Never mind who I hate. They are at the top of the list. What are they doing in my aunt and uncle’s house? His mind was trying to figure out why they were in his bedroom, in a Muggle’s house, no less, but he could not find any logical reasons. Probably to take you to Voldemort, stupid, his mind said sarcastically.

The two stared at him a second more before Snape spoke.

“Just so you know, I turned your relatives into farm animals.”

Harry gaped at him, unbelieving not only the words, but the lack of biting sarcasm in his tone. Suddenly he heard a very loud neighing. He cracked a smile, picturing his Aunt Petunia as a horse, before remembering who had done said act. He looked back at Snape, waiting for him to speak.

“I would remove you from the spell, but I am sure you would have some rather… unpleasant words to say, so I will leave you bound for the moment.”

Harry’s eyes flashed at this, telling Snape that he would indeed have something to say when his tongue was loosed.

“Albus Dumbledore…”

Harry’s mind growled viciously at this. How DARE he speak the man’s name! This thought could not continue, however, as the man was speaking again.

“… told me shortly before his death that you and he were going on a mission to find a Horcrux.”

Harry’s mind reeled with this bit of new information. Dumbledore told Snape about the Horcruxes?! He told him they were going to the cave? Why would he do that? Why… His furious thoughts were cut off.

“Yes, Potter. He told me everything. He told me that whatever would happen would weaken him in a great way. He told me that the castle might be attacked that very evening and wanted me to know all this so that I could help you,” he sneered here, “with your little quest. He wanted me to help you find the remaining Horcruxes so we could bring about Voldemort’s downfall. Together.” He spat the word. “Now, I am going to undo the spell, but keep you bound so that you do not attack Draco or myself. I know you will have some things to say so I will allow you to do so. However, you must NOT disrespect me as I can return you to your silent state in a heartbeat. Understood?”

His last words were like ice. Harry swallowed. He wasn’t exactly scared of this man, but knew he was a powerful wizard and decided not to cross him. He tamped down his anger and tried to find words to say. He felt the ‘Petrificus Totalis’ lifted, freeing his body, but found ropes binding his hands. He fought to keep his words calm, but they came out biting despite his efforts. “YOU MURDERED ALBUS DUMBLEDORE. I was there. I saw you.” Harry waited to see what the man would say in his defense, what excuse he could possibly give that would justify that action.

Snape sighed deeply, a look of great regret crossing his face before the mask dropped into place once more.

“I know we need to discuss this, and we will, at a later date. I can assure you that there is a good reason…”

Harry interrupted him, unable to comprehend what he was hearing.

“A good reason? A good reason? You AVADA'd a man! How is that…”

This time Snape interrupted him, but in a much different voice than usual, a gentle one.

“Harry, please listen to me.”

The use of his first name calmed Harry considerably, especially since it had never passed the other man’s lips before.

“All right. What do you want and why are you here?” He waited for whatever possible reason this man would have to be in his uncle’s house. It was sure to be interesting.

“Dumbledore asked me that night to come get you from you aunt and uncle’s house a week after term ended if something were to happen to him. He wanted us to get along…”

Harry heard a loud “Hmmph” come from Malfoy. Harry glared at him briefly before turning his attention back to Snape.

“Yes?”

“Right, ah, he wanted us to get along and he wanted you to come live with Draco and I for the rest of the summer while we continue the search for the Horcruxes.”

Snape waited for the volatile reaction he knew was coming. He was not disappointed. “ARE YOU CRAZY? Why on earth would I want to go live with you two? Both of you despise me and I can’t say you are my favorite people either. I was going to search by myself. How can you,” he gestured to Snape with his head, “and him,” then to Draco, “help me with finding the remaining Horcruxes?” What was Dumbledore thinking? Snape and I get along? Ha!

“Potter…” Snape sounded exasperated. Back to Potter again, are we? Harry thought sarcastically.

“Dumbledore asked me to help you and I refuse to deny an old man’s dying wish just because you-” he growled the word- “refuse to accept help. If we work together,” he stressed the word but the look on his face told Harry he was not pleased, “we can find the bloody things quicker and destroy them with more success than the ring.”

Harry thought about this for a second, thinking it made sense to have an experienced wizard along, but why did it have to be Snape? He growled inwardly at the ceiling, imagining Dumbledore up in the sky, his eyes twinkling merrily at Harry’s distress. His stomach clenched, remembering that he would never again see those eyes. He closed his eyes briefly, then opened them and looked straight into Snape’s onyx orbs. What he saw there surprised him very much. He saw a… plea for trust and… understanding. And acceptance. That, more than anything, convinced Harry of what he had to do.

“All right.”

Snape looked at him, astonished, but pulled himself together.

“Fine. Get your things together. We will be leaving in ten minutes. Draco and I will be downstairs… thanking… your relatives for their hospitality.”

With that, both men walked out the door and headed for the steps. Harry sighed deeply, wondering what he was getting himself into. He only hoped he wasn’t making a huge mistake.

Nine minutes and forty-nine seconds later, Harry was trudging down the stairs, dragging his trunk and holding Hedwig’s cage awkwardly. The beautiful white bird was thankfully out hunting. His wand (he had found it under his bed) was tucked in the side pocket of his jeans. He never put it in the back pocket, remembering what Mad-Eye Moody had said summer before fifth year about losing a buttocks. He smiled slightly at the memory. Reaching the living room, he saw Snape and Draco sitting on the couch, drinking tea. Cowered in the corner were two large pigs and a horse. Harry couldn’t help himself- he burst out laughing.

“They… look… so much… better now…” he gasped out to Snape through his laughter.

“I am glad you are amused, Mr. Potter. Now, if we could leave, please?”

“How are we getting… wherever we are going?”

“Side- along apparition. I will take Draco first and then return for you. Is that acceptable?”

Harry thought for a moment, then nodded.

“Fine, then. We will be off. I will be back shortly.” Snape nodded at Harry before grabbing Draco around the waist and disappearing with a pop.

Harry put his trunk on the floor, along with the cage, before going into the kitchen to get himself a snack. If his aunt and uncle had been… human… he never would have considered this, but considering their present state….

He peered through the cupboards looking for something good to eat. It was nearing dinnertime and he was starving. He didn’t know if Snape would feed him tonight or not, so he decided he should eat something just in case. Not wanting to eat any of Dudley’s junk food, he grabbed a banana out of the basket on the counter. He had finished most of it when he heard a pop in the other room. Throwing the peel away, Harry returned to the other room. No one was there. Harry started to get a very bad feeling in the pit of his stomach.

“Snape?” he called out hesitantly.

“Potter,” a low, drawling voice murmured.

Harry turned slowly, only to see a man stepped out of the shadows. His stomach dropped. Lucius Malfoy.

Chapter End Notes:
Please review!