Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Another Birthday

After a long time, the movements got slower and finally stopped, the horrible journey seeming to come to end However, when Harry carefully tried to open his eyes, the world started to turn again and he got sick all over himself. Totally embarrassed, he lay down, hoping that the world might stop turning. From very far away he could hear the voices of his father and Professor Dumbledore. They talked for a while, until Severus turned to Harry.

“Harry, try to open your eyes again,” he could hear his father say. He carefully tried to open his eyes again only to close them quickly.

“I can’t, Dad. Everything turns, and I’ll only get sick again,” he mumbled. Then he felt his head being held up a little and a cold Potions phial being pressed against his lips. He quickly swallowed the potion. He let out a relieved sigh as his stomach settled and he finally succeeded in opening his eyes. He sat up and threw a quick glance at the younger looking Headmaster. “Hello, Professor, I’m sorry for puking in your office,” he apologized.

“That’s all right, my boy. Sit down and rest for a while,” the Headmaster told him, his tone friendly. He then asked his house elf, Twinkle, to bring tea and biscuits for them.

Harry complied with the Headmaster’s wishes for him and Severus told the Headmaster everything about them, their plan, and the people it involved. When he asked for the date, they were told that it was in fact the 31st of July, 1973. However, it was six o’clock in the morning. Severus handed Albus his older self’s letter, and while the Headmaster was engrossed in his older self’s musings, the two time travellers slowly sipped their tea. Severus had shaken his head disbelievingly when he saw that Harry put four spoons of sugar in it. Normally Harry took two which was even too much for his findings. Finally, Albus had watched the memories in the Pensieve long enough and he emerged from the Pensieve deep in thoughts.

“All right, Severus and Harry. Oh, sorry, it’s Salazar and Harry, right? I have to try hard not to get you mixed up with your younger self. You are lucky, because the person I intended to give the Defence Against the Dark Arts position to, was going to come here tomorrow. As I still haven’t signed anything with this person, I can easily make you our new Defence teacher. Your quarters should already be ready, and I will ask Twinkle to add another room to your quarters for your son. I will Fire-call Minerva and Poppy now and ask them to come over here for a few minutes before breakfast.”

“Would it be possible to have a small Potions lab in my quarters, too, please? As you probably know, I am your Potions Master in the future, and as far as I remember of Professor Slughorn’s knowledge of advanced Potions I fear that I might need a place to brew Potions for ourselves and for the Hospital Wing. I would also like to teach my future self a few things, which might help you and Madam Pomfrey during the next years.”

“Of course, my boy. You will get your private lab.”

“Thank you very much, Headmaster,” Severus said, followed by a small echo coming from Harry.

Dumbledore went to the fireplace and made two calls before he called Twinkle and asked for the extra room and a Potions lab to be added to the Defence quarters.

A few minutes later, Minerva entered the office, shortly followed by Poppy. Albus introduced Severus by his alias, Salazar, and Harry, and Severus handed over the respective letters. Both women took their time to read the letters; Poppy’s letter seemed especially detailed and even contained several copies of parchments. When she was finished reading, she gave Harry a piercing glance, and Harry couldn’t prevent himself from blushing terribly. ‘Oh no,’ he groaned inwardly. ‘No more attention for me please.

Suddenly, a thought shot through Harry’s head. ‘Here, in this time, I won’t be the Boy Who Lived; maybe it will be possible for me to just be myself without attracting anyone’s attention.’ He smiled happily at this thought.

The teachers talked for a few more minutes and they agreed that Minerva should try to contact Lily, Severus, James, and Remus and ask if they could come over to Hogwarts for a meeting in the afternoon.

“Tell them to Floo into my office, Minerva. I’ll open the Floo at two o’clock.”

“All right, Albus. However, do you think it is wise to tell them the truth about who they are?” Minerva asked sceptically.

“Professor Lupin, um… I mean Remus will know, because we have a letter for him from his older self,” Harry popped up in a small voice.

“Right, Harry, and then he will know, and I can imagine Professor Snape would need his younger self to know, at least in order to give him some advice, and we need their help, so we should tell them the truth, but maybe not from the beginning. Let’s try without telling them who you are and only tell that you came from the future. However, I will put a charm on them to prevent them from telling anyone about it,” Dumbledore promised firmly, and Minerva nodded contently.

Harry watched the two – now younger looking – teachers in awe. He had always thought that they behaved as if they knew each other very well, but that they already had been married for fifty years – or in this time it would be about thirty. ‘Wow,’ he thought. Suddenly a thought popped up in his head. ‘Wait,’ he thought, ‘there was something else Dumbledore told me, but what was it. I just can’t remember – I only know that there was something.’

Finally, Harry was pulled out of his musings when Dumbledore asked him in which house he was and told him at the same time that he would have to be sorted again after breakfast. However, before Harry could reply anything, Severus jumped into the conversation.

“My son is the first student in the History of Hogwarts who has been sorted into two houses, Gryffindor and Slytherin, and the Hat has been very insistent to not change this decision. However, would it be possible to have the Sorting after lunch? Harry’s condition is not very good, and he has had a long day so far. He is in dire need of a few hours of sleep. Would it be very rude if we retreated to our quarters and joined you again for lunch?”

“Of course not, Salazar. That’s no problem at all. I will take you to your quarters now, and we will meet you at lunchtime.”

Poppy turned to Severus. “Salazar,” she started to speak, laughed then and said, “I’m sorry, but I will have to get used to your new name soon enough. However, my older self gave me a note that I had to check up on Harry every evening. Therefore, I would like you to come to my office every day between dinner and curfew. As your quarters are very near the Hospital Wing, I don’t think it’ll be too uncomfortable.”

Harry looked at the Healer and gave her a confirming nod. She looked so young. And Professor McGonagall was so young, too. He couldn’t prevent himself from staring at the two women in awe.

-----

Their quarters were not very different from their quarters in the future. Harry went into his room, which was ready by the time they arrived, went to bed, and fell asleep immediately, not noticing that Severus carefully tucked him in, gave him a kiss on the forehead, and placed a charm on him in order to alert himself if Harry should wake up or have any problems. However, Harry didn’t even stir until Severus woke him up in time for lunch. Harry opened his eyes and stared at his father in awe.

“What’s wrong, Harry?” Severus asked immediately.

“Nothing really, Dad. It’s just… um… difficult to get used to… I mean to the fact that you’re my father.”

“That I am your father? Now, I have been kind of your father now for more than a month, haven’t I?”

Harry shook his head vehemently. “No, Dad, that’s completely different. All right, there were several times, even much earlier, for example at Christmas, when I thought ‘Oh, it must be like this to have a father,’ but to know that YOU are really MY father it is the best present I could ever get,” Harry was able to say in a slightly strange voice before he burst out in tears. “I’m so happy,” he still managed to get out, crying even more.

Severus pulled him in a slight embrace and looked into his son’s marvellous green eyes. “I am very happy, too, son,” he confirmed softly. “However, it is time to get up, clean yourself up and attend lunch,” he added firmly.

-----

Twenty minutes later, they found themselves in the Great Hall, being introduced to the other teachers.

“How interesting. You must be related to my student, Severus Snape!” Professor Slughorn said to Salazar.

“I do not know him. But I assume that he would be a distant cousin of mine,” Salazar replied curtly, before he added, “We come from a branch of the Snape family that used to live in the far east since my many times great grandfather, Benjamin Snape, has left England in the 16th century. I can imagine that the Snapes here have erased every bit of proof of the existence of our part of the family; however, I can assure you that we exist.”

Harry couldn’t hide a snort. He watched his father, utterly impressed. ‘How can he lie so easily?’ he thought. He couldn’t know that his father had never liked Slughorn and couldn’t care less that he was lying to the Professor.

Professor Sprout turned to Harry and asked friendly, “And how old are you, Harry?”

Harry threw a quick, helpless glance at his father, before he replied, “I am twelve, Professor.”

“And we are going to have his birthday party here, later today,” Minerva threw in. “The House elves are just working on a cake.”

“So you will be a second year student,” Professor Sprout addressed Harry once more, but was answered by Salazar.

“No, he actually was so ahead of his classmates when he was in first year that the teachers agreed to put him into second year immediately. Therefore, he will attend third years’ classes.” It was only a half lie. Albus had in fact wanted to do this to Harry. However, Minerva and he had protested vehemently.

“Do you like to read, Harry?” Professor Flitwick addressed Harry.

“Yes, I love to read, Professor,” Harry replied honestly, and his eyes started to twinkle happily.

Like Albus,’ Minerva thought and smiled at the boy.

“Then you will surely be sorted into Ravenclaw,” Professor Flitwick shouted happily, and Harry’s face fell abruptly.

Not again!’ he thought frantically. ‘We already had this discussion in the future.’

After lunch, they climbed up the stairs to the Headmaster’s Office. The Gargoyle opened on ‘Back to the Past’. Professor Dumbledore offered them a sweet in his usual ‘Lemon-drop-way’, and they both declined politely.

Harry sat down on a chair next to his father, while Professor McGonagall fetched the Sorting Hat from the shelf. When she put it on Harry’s head, the Hat straightened itself.

‘Oh no, it’s you again. I know that I’ve already seen you in the future. Don’t think I wouldn’t know that, and don’t think I will sort you differently because you have a different look. I told you before that I will not be fooled by anything. Therefore it’s still,’ the Hat paused and continued aloud.

‘SLYTHERIN AND GRYFFINDOR. DON’T LET ME SORT HIM AGAIN, HE WILL ALWAYS BE SORTED IN THESE TWO HOUSES I TELL YOU.’

Everyone looked in shock at the Hat, wondering if the Hat had gone insane.

Fawkes commented in his usual, frivolous way, only intended for Albus to hear of course, #This f… old, crazy know-it-all. Thinks he knows everything better than the rest of the world. If you ask me, it’s time to put him through a burning day and let some of his hatchlings do the work.#

While Albus ignored the phoenix completely and discussed Harry’s Sorting with his colleagues, Harry stared at the bird, trying hard to hide a giggle. Fawkes gave Harry a knowing nod, which left Harry thinking, ‘Does he know that I can understand him? Can he sense that I am a phoenix, too? But, except for my father, nobody knows about it here, and it might become handy at some time, so I shouldn’t let anyone know.’ However, he vowed he would transform and pay Fawkes a visit sometime during the next days, when he could be sure that Dumbledore wasn’t around.

Suddenly he had the feeling that someone was talking to him. He took his eyes off Fawkes and looked around. “Now, Harry,” Albus said amused, “We have just discussed the following. As you have only finished your first class except for Defence where you have taken the second years’ test, all teachers who are currently here will give you a few lessons during the remaining weeks of the holidays. Professor McGonagall and your father will work out a schedule for you, and I ask you to study according to this schedule until further notice.”

Seeing a hint of fright in Harry’s eyes, Professor McGonagall added calmingly, “However, from the letter my older self sent me, I have no doubt that you will exceed all our expectations. She told me that you are capable of sixth years’ Transfiguration, wandless magic and wish magic. However, she advised me to teach you easy spells with your wand in order to keep your overflowing magic at bay. Therefore, we will do this in our lessons, and,” she turned to Dumbledore, “you will teach him wandless magic, right Albus?”

“Of course I will do that, my dear,” the Headmaster confirmed.

-----

Suddenly the fireplace flared green, and a very young Severus Snape stepped out, looking around curiously.

“Good day, Professors,” he said politely.

Dumbledore greeted him, offered him a lemon drop, and introduced Salazar and Harry Snape as two very distant relatives from the Far East.

Severus eyed them suspiciously, although Harry threw him a big smile. He wanted so badly to talk to his future father, but he dare not start a conversation. What if the boy hated him? How would he react if he knew the truth? Dumbledore was going to tell everyone the truth shortly, wasn’t he?

Suddenly Harry felt his father’s hand on his arm and heard a calming voice say, “It’s all right, Harry. Severus, this is Harry, and he will be in the same year as you. He has just been sorted into two Houses, Slytherin and Gryffindor.”

“In two Houses?” Severus repeated astonished. “I didn’t know that was possible.”

“Nor did I at first,” Harry admitted truthfully. “As I don’t know anyone here, will you be so kind and help me, please?”

Severus gave him a short nod. “Yes, I shall do that.”

In the meantime, James and Remus had arrived, and finally, Lily stepped through the Floo. Harry couldn’t take his eyes off her. ‘My mum!’ he thought enthusiastically and couldn’t help a few tears running down his face. Noticing thankfully that his father squeezed his shoulder, he finally managed to get himself into grip before any of the newcomers could notice anything strange about him.

“Now, as everyone has arrived, let’s start,” Dumbledore began to speak. “But first, I will put a charm on you, which will hinder you from speaking to others about anything concerning the facts you will hear here today.” Seeing his students’ confused faces, he added, “This is just a precaution, and it is not because I don’t have confidence in you but because this matter is very important and extremely dangerous.”

He threw a glance at the four students and asked, “Do you all agree to this?”

“Yes,” the four replied unison, and Dumbledore waved his hand four times, before he nodded contently.

He threw a glance at Salazar, who successfully tried to suppress the emotions that had come up seeing the woman he loved and lost after so long of living without her. He gave Albus a short nod and – without telling who he was – explained briefly what happened during the last eighteen years. When he came to the point where Severus had separated from Lily, she burst into tears.

The younger Severus went over to where Lily was sitting, put an arm around her shoulders, and said, “Calm down, Lily. These people have come from the future to help us make things better, haven’t they? I won’t push you away this time, Lily, I promise!”

Lily threw him a hopeful glance and calmed down, so that Salazar could continue with the sad story. When he came to the point where Sirius had betrayed Lily and James, James burst out in anger and disappointment, which even froze completely at the point where Lily and James were killed.

Severus pulled Lily into a fierce hug and said, “It’s all right, Lily. We will prevent this from happening.” Turning to Salazar, he asked, “Is that why you came?”

Salazar nodded and told them that he got to know their son when he came to Hogwarts and told them about the condition the boy was in. He was very careful not to tell his son’s name and said finally, “That’s why I came to the past. I have been his Head of House for a year now, and my son, Harry, here is a good friend of your son, so I decided to bring him with me.”

In the meantime, Remus had read the letter from his older self and could only confirm everything Salazar had told them. James turned to Lily and the younger Severus and said, “I am very disappointed, Lily, because I have loved you from the first time I met you; however, I promise that I will help you. Maybe you can make me your son’s godfather.”

#What a sneaky Slytherin thinking. Why do people have such an interest in others’ hatchlings?# Fawkes commented instantly, and Harry burst out laughing.

The younger Severus glanced at Lily to confirm for her agreement and then eyed the boy, who had been his rival for two years now, and promised, “We will remember to do that.”

“I still cannot understand why Sirius betrayed us. I mean he is my best friend, and he hates the Dark side; that’s why he hates his family,” James voiced his desperate thoughts.

Salazar turned to James and very thoughtfully said, “Maybe it’s not true, I don’t know. As far as I know, he has never had a trial, because Professor Dumbledore confirmed that he was your Secret Keeper. However, if I think about it, I believe that I have seen Pettigrew at the Death Eater meetings. Can it be that he was your Secret Keeper? I am sorry, I am not aware of these details.”

“Thank you… um… What are we supposed to call you? Salazar? Professor?” James asked confused.

Everyone laughed and Salazar replied, “Here you may call me Salazar; however, in front of other students or teachers you have to call me Professor.”

“All right; what I was going to say is I think I will believe in your theory, Professor, um… Salazar, and trust Sirius. Although I can now understand why he is not here, which I was wondering about before,” James said pensively.

“All right. I suppose that you are all willing to assist Professor Snape and Harry. They will need every help they can get, especially as the first and most important task is to defeat Voldemort.”

He remained pensive for a moment, before he added, “My older self has told me about a prophecy, which is going to be told in a few years, directly before Harry’s birth, in fact, which will be today in seven years’ time. Content of this prophecy is that Harry has to be the one to vanquish Voldemort.”

Salazar interrupted the Headmaster and told them that because of Harry’s bad condition resulting from abuse and neglect at his relatives home, they had to find a way apart from a battle in order for Harry to be physically able to defeat the Dark Lord.

They agreed with the four students that they would meet at least twice a week in the Headmaster’s Office, but they would try to meet more often in the Snape quarters, according to their time tables when the school year started in a month’s time. For now, the four students would go home and ask their parents if they could stay at Hogwarts for the remainder of the holidays in order to participate in a summer study group with the approval of the Headmaster.

“But before you return home in order to talk to your parents and floo-call me later, I believe that a party is in order. Your friend Harry here has his birthday today, and a huge cake should be waiting for us in the Great Hall.”

Harry was just sitting in the Great Hall between his 13-year-old mother, who of course didn’t know that he was her son, and his father Salazar, happily devouring a huge piece of cake. Suddenly however, his scar exploded in pain, which was much worse than any pain he had experienced in his scar before. ‘Why? Voldemort can’t be here, now, can he?’ he thought frantically while he gripped his head with both hands.

 

Chapter End Notes:
While Severus and Harry are in the past, Severus’ older self will be called ‘Salazar’, his younger self ‘Severus’ – in order to avoid misunderstandings!

Thanks to my wonderful beta Thegirllikeme :-)

I do not own any of the characters in this story; they all belong to J.K.Rowling or are a free creation, and I am not earning anything by writing this story.